Survivalist Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Americans are renouncing their citizenship in record numbers

14K views 178 replies 57 participants last post by  merlinfire 
#1 ·
It seems that there is a third option during this US election year - vote with your feet.

https://fortune.com/2020/08/07/americans-renouncing-citizenship-passport-2020/

"Few would describe the year 2020 as the best of times for the United States. But for a growing number of Americans, the situation has become so intolerable they have cut their ties with the country altogether.

According to a recent survey of government data, 5816 Americans renounced their citizenship in the first six months of 2020. That is more than a ten-fold increase from the last six months of 2019, when 444 citizens gave up their passports.

The surge in renunciations during the first half of 2020 also breaks a record set in 2016 when 5,409 Americans gave up their citizenship over the course of the year. And it already outstrips the record level of renunciations that occurred in 2016 when 5,409 people in the United States turned in their passports."

#8 ·
#7 ·
How many of those that renounced their citizenship were non-natives or naturalized citizens? Or leftists of the extreme type?

I just wish most of that number were the loudmouth despicable Hollywood hypocrites.:cool:

Regardless...I wish more would go, especially the asshats masking up and rioting under the transparently false facade of protecting racism.

#22 ·
#27 ·
"Turn in their passports?"
Why?

The passport is not limited to citizens. An American national non-citizen can use the passport.

#80 ·
Sure, but but that catagory ( American National non citizen) is pretty much limited to Samoans. I had to spend a day making at their consulate after we evicted a extended family of Somoans living in the woods on some property my employer owns. Learned more than I wanted to about Somoa.

#30 ·
Give that the number of conservatives and conservative anti-Trumpers denouncing their citizenship can probably be counted on one hand, the total number is encouraging from my perspective.

I wonder which La La Land these people are migrating to. I do hope they are leaving the country. Send them all to Venezuela as a wake-up call.

#32 ·
Hilarious....being lectured by an ex-pat in kiwi-land. Dirtpig.....how is your Mandarin coming? Have you noticed the water getting any hotter yet? You are living in an emergency stop for the Blue Beauty belt and band. My friend, you should consider a bolthole further west. Bigger, lots of joint military projects with the US. Kiwi-land isnt even a supply transfer point for the Antarctic research stations anymore. What happens to foriegn born security risks there when things heat up in 10 years? At least set up a fallback somewhere else. NZ is an offshore retreat.

#33 ·
If you want to relocate, retain your U.S. citizenship, and live somewhere as an ex-pat, that's fine, go for it.

You want to renounce your U.S. citizenship, then you also renounce everything that you have received based on that citizenship.

You get a one way steerage class boat or plane ticket to the place of your choice.

Enjoy.

#38 ·
Perhaps they are leaving because they expect Biden to win the election and then the commies who support him will raise their taxes dramatically. After all, the only "fair share" with the Democrats these days is 110% of a wealthy person's income. Some Democrats want to start taxing total wealth on top of income.

I'd really like to see a detailed study focused on why these people are leaving. I know a bunch of the Hollywood communists relocated to New Zealand, but I haven't hear of any that denounced their citizenship.

Reactions: Potawatomi II
#39 ·
I don't have any links handy, but if I recall correctly, the growth of Americans renouncing their citizenship started during the Obama Administration.

At that time, there were plenty of Americans living abroad that by virtue of parents or birth had US Citizenship (i.e. plenty of kids of University professors) but that had lived little or no time in the US. As Americans are supposed to file for taxes even when they live abroad, the IRS started tracking down many of those people and were demanding that they file or pay taxes. The US government imposes rules on foreign banks that want to conduct business with America to the effect that many of them will refrain from serving US citizens living abroad who are in arrears on their taxes or in some other conflict with the IRS, so the situation became rather burdensome for those with dual citizenship. So apparently, many people who've had US citizenship but no deep ties to America chose to renounce their citizenship in order to rid themselves of the legal baggage associated with it.

Unless we can ascertain whether or not this situation still exists, it may play a significant part in any rise in the number of Americans renouncing their citizenship.

#42 ·
People are lined up at the gates to get in, do a one for one exchange have the migrants pay the expartriation fees and it is a win win. So if the setup team is going home early so what?

won't happen just saying that people choosing to go with another team doesn't really matter since most of the west is all the same just different laws and tax rates.

Some countries require expatriation and there is a lot of need to be in a home camp right now due to vaccine roll outs or any mandatory optional vaccination programs and access to healthcare etc.. due to the pandemic etc.. lots of reasons.

This isn't exactly at a disaster level regardless not sure why it was posted in this subforum.

Is renounciation of citizenship a Prep?

If so in what contexts?

Anyone involved with companies that are being put under sanctions etc.. are going to want to exit the US legal structure to the fullest extent. The US has become increasingly assertive and hostile to foreign actors. Not saying it isn't justified or the targets do not engage in the same types of activities just saying... if you have money in the US and the US is going to seize that you arn't going to want to have that money in the US or yourself.

Like take the former Disney executive head of Tiktok CEO he is going to be barred from financial transactions with tictok. The company is moving to London England.. do you think he wants to keep his paycheck? If he keeps his paycheck he will be violating US federal law. He has to exit US federal jurisidiciton not to be in violation of the sanctions. The same is likely true of other people also.

#43 ·
I don't see what all the fuss is about really. From your article:

But based on past years, federal tax rules likely explain many of the renunciations. Unlike nearly every other country, the U.S. levies tax based on nationality rather than residence—meaning many Americans abroad are forced to file with the IRS (and in some cases pay tax) even if they haven't live stateside for years.
We have endless threads here about civil war, balkanization, pandemic, riots, currency collapse, WW3..........why would it be surprising if 5409 people (out of 330,000,000)decided to cut ties with the IRS and take their chances where they think is best for survival and financial well being?

Not everything is bipartisan political theater.

#45 ·
We have endless threads here about civil war, balkanization, pandemic, riots, currency collapse, WW3..........why would it be surprising if 5409 people (out of 330,000,000)decided to cut ties with the IRS and take their chances where they think is best for survival and financial well being?

If the US lowered the fee they charge for renunciation to $0, I wonder what the number would be then?|

#46 ·
True libertarians should be outraged by this.

Most folks were born into US citizenship. It is not something they elected to do. If they happen to emigrate and make a living in another country, even at an early age, the long arm of the IRS wants a cut of that person's cash, even if entirely earned elsewhere.

Didn't the US revolutionary war start over something exactly like that?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

#52 ·
Fascinating thread by someone who makes it clear he hates America but won't renounce his own citizenship. Will of course make excuses for why he won't. Zero credibility whatsoever.

#53 ·
NO! I didn't read all this carp.

Just tell me how many of these anti's have actually left the US continent. If they are still living here, and how many are still living of the US dole to support their lazy butts.

Saying they are giving up citizenship doesn't mean anything if they are still living here. GTFO..............!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.