Survivalist Forum banner

Are You a WallyWord Prepper?

• I go to WallyWorld at least 4 times a week!

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I only go to WallyWorld once a day.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Best way to make the best of my paycheck is a trip to WallyWorld!

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • Something else.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I go there occasionally

Votes: 42 42.9%

Are You A WallyWorld Prepper?

7K views 70 replies 56 participants last post by  LuniticFringeInc 
#1 ·
It would seem to me that it would be really good advice to stay out of any WallyWorld to avoid the COVID thing. Yet, I find myself reading post, after post, of other SB members making nearly daily comments about the current WallyWorld situation during their trips.

Bug In, or Bug Out could often become a heated thread in the past. Bug To WallWorld Daily during a Global Pandemic seems to be totally accepted on the forum at this point in time.

#3 ·
Every couple years I use their optometry department. Thats it. Not really on my radar as a place to go shopping. Mostly because of the kind of people that shop there.

And yeah, I feel the same about dollar stores. Sorry, I know a lot of you guys like those places but they gross me out.

#7 ·
The enlightened (mis)management at WallyWorld are incompetently dealing with COVID-19 as well as their remuneration policy. They're ticking off customers, too. (They tried to get "good publicity" by jacking up their starting wages, but failed to increase personnel budgets at the store level. This forced stores to drastically cut staff, and service has fallen as a result.)

Sam Walton is breaking the speed limit in his grave.
[Candid insight mode on]
A certain associate / informant who gets a discount for buying from WW, spends more on AMAZON than WW.
That spells doom for the Arkansas Mafia.

#8 ·
I went to a walmart the second or third day of the month to use the pharmacy, they did have curbside service but i didn't use it. They have a drive thru for the pharmacy but i have never seen it operational. Anyway on that visit around 1:00 there was almost nobody there. I suspect because everybody shopped on the first but that's just a guess.

#10 ·
Wife and I have been there a couple dozen times especially when they were lax on pushing the face diaper.Never cared about shopping there until the one day I found 30+ silver coins in the reject cup of the coinstar. Found a silver war nickel last time.

Sure, if you have health issues and are 70 y.o. and older, I’d do curbside pickup of your goods.

#11 ·
There is no Costco within an hour and a half of me and
I have never been in one. Same with Trader Joes,
Whole foods, and others.

We have Food Lion but they treated me badly when
I made a delivery there so I avoid them.

So yes, my Wife gets most of our food from Walmart
and Sam's Club. When I worded for Roadway and
Yellow, She worked at Walmart and I had Walmart
health insurance.

Before Walmart came to my area, things were more
expensive, we put up with lousy service, and food was
not as fresh. Walmart made other businesses here either
compete or go out of business and I like them. But I do
hope a Costco comes to lower Delaware so I can drive up
there and buy from them tax free.

I can remember buying things at Ames years ago and
hoping they went out of business because they had
lazy employees with lousy Management. I got my wish.

#13 ·
I have only stepped inside Walmart once since maybe February. That was because we were planning a weekend road trip and needed some clothes. Dh went in one other time for something specific for a project. We've been using the curbside pickup option for groceries for at least three years with Wally World and Sams once a month..with our local stores taking care of the rest. Costco is clear across the county from us, and road construction made it downright dangerous to go there for 3 years straight, so we ignore them.

#14 ·
I quit using Walleyworld 18 years ago, although I do go to Sam's Club about every 2 months. Too many bonafide weirdos at Walleyworld.

Ya'll shoot straight and stay safe out there - and stay away from Wallmartians!

WW

WE ALL WANT TO BE FREE, BUT VERY FEW OF US WANT TO BE BRAVE. FOR ALL OF US TO BE FREE, A FEW MORE OF US, ESPECIALLY NOW, MUST BE BRAVE, AND THAT'S THE HISTORY OF AMERICA

K. R. Carleson - Navigator B-24J

#15 ·
LIVING in the "wilderness..
it is either WW or smaller local markets where the prices can be 15-20% higher and do not have nearly the choices.

The next big market... is just another WW about another 40 miles away.

The wife goes once a week wears a mask then when she comes home wipes and sanitizes everything as it comes out of the bag.
a 40+ year RN... she knows sterile procedures.

I haven't been to the WW in months.

#16 ·
We try not to do the majority of our shopping there but, we live in very small town area and there aren't many options within a 30 mile radius and even in the bigger towns there's not a lot besides one Aldi's.

We do as much as we can at DG, and some at the local IGA. The problem with it tho, is except for good deals on meat occasionally their prices are generally higher and it's also one of those "pay less" ones where the price shown isn't the actual price. You have to add 10% to everything and tax so it makes it harder to keep track of what you are spending and on a limited income that is sometimes important.

#17 ·
As far as clothing and shoes and some other odds and ends we do about 90% of shopping for those things at the local resale shop. Most shirts are 2.50, jeans $5 or less and boots and shoes $2-10. And they only carry nice, clean things. We've both gotten new shirts and shoes with new price tags still on them varying from $8-100. Can't beat those kind of deals!

#18 ·
We have 2 different types of Walmarts here. The huge Walmart that has everything and the Neighborhood market Walmart that is just a medium sized grocery store. There is a neighborhood market just around the corner, easy 5 minute walking distance. Been there a few times this year. Been to the big Walmart once - yesterday. They had the Rotel that everybody else is out of (Kroger, Costco, Albertson's, Neighborhood Walmart). They also had good clearance meats and $4 for a 60ct eggs.

#21 ·
They just sold me a 25# sack of lentils for a very good price and free shipping (for the second time).

Sam's Club sent me 75# of rice and 4# of quinoa for $38 and free shipping.

A smart prepper can pick up a lot at WW.

#23 ·
I am more likely to go to Walmart when I am travelling for buying retail when there is no other cheap retail around, the format is nice to stay somewhat the same irregardless of what country you are in to get mostly the same experience. Often pricing is lower online now so it is more of a convience factor or when I can't get something shipped in. I don't mind them for grocery shopping. As far as food prepping it doesn't really matter where I am buying it so I will definately stock a portion of things in terms of non perishable foods.

Overall though I actually spend way more throughout the year at Amazon, and tend to buy larger food preps through Amazaon because they have the lowest pricees on some bulk food items.

There is no local walmart, closest is a 45 minute drive pretty much. In the North it is like a 3 hour drive to the closest walmart. Normally when I am in studies there is a walmart in whatever city that is happening in. I tend to shop grocery more than retail in them though. Fact that walmart has a delivery service now too is pretty cool. https://www.walmart.com/grocery/locations/delivery/

I am not limited to only walmart and amazon for my preps but they often have the lowest prices on things. That and dollar stores. You can't get everything but most things you will be able to get on Amazon and if you can't get it there then you normally need to go to a specialty shop or Alibaba etc..

I am keeping my shopping down to at most once a month these days for any in person shopping, just not a thing I am looking to do while the pandemic is raging.

#25 ·
We live too far out for home deliveries from WW or Dillons/Kroger or anyone else. For us, the next best thing is curbside pickup. Our small town independent grocery store started offering curbside pick up in April, which we've used a time or two. Their version of the service is not nearly as streamlined as the big stores, since their inventory is not online.. with them, we shoot an email with our list, contact info and credit card or debit info. They'll call to verify which brand if we don't specify..and they'll call to let us know when the order is ready. I appreciate their efforts; they also went above and beyond during the worst of the panic buying. They ran out of TP and certain other things, but they always had meat and dairy..maybe not eggs, but all the rest. They also used FB to let local customers know when hot items came in on the truck.

#27 ·
We MIGHT go into a Walmart (sm one) a couple times a year. My dogs are nutz for their Old Roy PB bones. The last thing we ordered from them online was a bed frame, long before the pandemic.
We prefer smaller stores closer to home. I don't need one-stop shopping. We go the feed store for gardening and pets supplies, the lumber yard or hardware store for those type items, Braums for dairy, the farmers market for fruits and veggies we don't grow and the Hispanic butcher shop for meat.
We can be in and out of those places before we find a parking spot at Wally World and they do a MUCH better job enforcing their covoid policies.

#29 ·
I went to WW last month - first time I'd been in there since March - and only went because there are a few items (the particular toothpaste husband uses, the body wash I use, and the cat's food) that NO one else in town carries (OK, other places DO carry the cat's food, but it is a LOT more expensive elsewhere) On the rare occasions I do go, I stock up on the few things I get there so that I DON'T have to go back there for several more months. Haven't tried ordering anything except my cell phone battery from Walmart.com...might need to go that route. That way, I could avoid the place altogether.

#30 ·
I like Walmart as a place to shop, but only go to town for supplies once a year the last week of October every year.

I don't like what Walmart has done to small towns and small business. But I am not the least interested in punishing myself by refusing to shop there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.