Survivalist Forum banner

Gun N' Done Home Defense Preparedness.

6K views 46 replies 24 participants last post by  Ankylus 
#1 · (Edited)
There are endless firearm and caliber debates about home defense. I can see where a potential or new gun owner would see that as the overwhelmingly most important aspect of home defense because that is all that seems to be discussed on the internet and at the range.

When it comes to preparedness, this representation tends to put the cart before the horse. Important preparedness aspects like....

"Why would I have a home invasion?"
"How would my home get invaded?"
"How would I know my home was invaded?"
"What lifestyle choices should I change to be prepared for home defense?

...tend get swept under the rug once the firearm/caliber has been decided and purchased.

As survivalists and preparedness-minded folks how do you answer the above questions? Have you seen new gun owners or other preparedness folks fall into the "Gun N' Done" mindset.

#2 ·
There are endless firearm and caliber debates about home defense. I can see where a potential or new gun owner would see that as the overwhelmingly most important aspect of home defense because that is all that seems to be discussed on the internet and at the range.

When it comes to preparedness, this representation tends to put the cart before the horse. Important preparedness aspects like....

...tend get swept under the rug once the firearm/caliber has been decided and purchased.

As survivalists and preparedness-minded folks how do you answer the above questions? Have you seen new gun owners or other preparedness folks fall into the "Gun N' Done" mindset.

1. "Why would I have a home invasion?"

I can think of a LOT of reasons somebody would decide to rob us. Of course I can think of a few really good reasons not to , like prison , we have an alarm and a high probability of being shot.

We own a business so they might think we have cash, although I try to keep the amount low. General robbery and there is always sexual assault my wife is smoking hot.

The thing to remember is you don’t get to decide if or when you have a home invasion. The bad guy decides for you.

Kick in front or back door. Sledgehammer maybe. They could try to go through a window. Either way we have some extra security they’d have to make some noise. And there is some video.

I’d hear either the break in noise or the alarm. If I was home. If not my wife would call me after shooting the guy.

I’m considering adding my back gate to the alarm system. Or maybe just a separate audible alarm. The issue is I like the alarm armed when we are home but we and servicemen use the gate.

Also a security door is something I’m considering. I need to replace the back door anyway.

Moving out in the country helps.

#17 ·
Oddly I suffered my most home invasions when I was in small population centers. I think that people think there is less of a chance of getting caught when no one is around.

In fact I have suffered far too many actual and attempted home invasions.
One every few years. I have also done bouncing so I am use to keeping people out of places who arn't suppose to be there. It is a dangerous situation though. You know anytime that verbalization fails there is a threat. Potentially violent situation and dangerous especially if you are just getting up. People that are drunk or on drugs are some of the most shocking, normally a sober person can be rationalized with unless they are mentally unstable... with drugs and alchohol way more chance of them using violence cause they arn't thinking.

Big one is definately lock your door. Home invasions are made more difficult by someone needing to break your door in first or break a window. Anyone determined to get into most houses though can do it.

Rules are pretty basic though.

Do not leave any valuables in view. If possible have a safe room or area to protect from armed assailants. Have a phone handy to call the police.

It all depends on local laws what is available in terms of home defence.

Improvised weapons are everywhere in a home, it is amazing a lot of people do not have that ninjitsu spirit when a situation of violence is thrust on them.

With that said even with a gun facing off against armed criminals is a very dangerous situation. Getting shot is not fun. Again by not having valuables in the open and having a defensible safe location in your residence you can protect your most valuable assets.. your health and your life.

#3 ·

1. why? my business has placed me into adversarial contact with felons and other folks of questionable character and habits. I also run a small private business where they could think I have cash.

2. doors are the most common entry point for any break in, they also could mount some kind of ruse to get me to answer the door.

3. doors and windows are alarmed, camera's covering all doors.

lifestyle changes.. that's a hard one. few of us can be entry proof, the goal is to be a hard target and deter, if an breach is attempted have the opportunity to survive.

gun n done, is easy to fall into. most folks, (not here necessarily) don't even look past a gun or possibly an alarm. the idea of hardening a home has never crossed their mind

#4 ·

WHY would I be invaded??/
Probably shouldn't. MY reclusiveness is a double edged sword to a crook. I am the last house on the end of a private road. ANY unusual vehicle will stick out BIG time and walking back in means you can just take what you can stuff in your pockets. Also, while you can have a field day, if your timing is good and no one is home, the bad thing is if someone comes home behind you, you are essentially trapped and will have to abandon your vehicle to get away.

IF no one home, easy, just walk in the unlocked front door... with the 150lb Rotty on the other side of it. Seriously, we leave the doors unlocked until we go to bed at night.

Probably by the screams of terror from a large dog with one of the highest measured bite pressures doing horribly messy things to anyone who dared interrupt his sleep. Rottys are very sensitive about things like uninterrupted sleep and they do NOT like that.

AS for lifestyle change. at present I see no reason to change. There is only one road in and if you approach in a car or on foot when you get within 1/4 mile my drive sensor will have announced your presence and you will have been on video long before that.
and
while the drive looks very dark, under the cameras it looks like Broadway in NYC because I have IR floods about 15 feet up in trees along the drive.
THEN
when you get within 100 feet of the house other tree mounted sensors will announce your presence and all I have to do is look at the screen and see what tripped the IR sensors. Those are placed on anticipated approach paths to the house from all directions, even the most unlikely.
The deer will drive you crazy at night sometimes, but that is the price of eternal vigilance.

#5 ·
He wasn't asking for your justifications of the questions he posed, he was posing them as better and further considerations than "I've got a gun, I'm fine" attitude. Getting someone new to personal responsibility for their own safety to not fall victim to the "buy a gun, throw it in a cabinet" school of defense.

Kind of a "whole picture" kind of thing.

#7 ·
Well said. I like the answers, hopefully it gives some perspective to others (myself included).

I have seen it happen to a few friends and neighbors who I turned on to gun ownership. They are still doing things like opening the door to strangers, leaving their garage open overnight, etc..

I catch myself slipping all the time and still have a lot of work to do.

#6 ·

Because it's there. It's full of food, guns and cash. But no reason at all is needed. The only fatal home invasion in my AO occurred when someone from a local city drove an hour out in the country, knocked on a random door and asked if the guy had any cigarets. Being Montana, the homeowner answered the door with a rifle, which was taken away from him and used to beat him to death. When the police showed up they found the perp calming sitting on the victims porch, smoking a cigaret.

By someone evading the dogs, the motion alarms, the trip wires and security cameras and either taking me by surprise when I open the door to go take a pee, or by using demo saws or explosives to breach my hardened doors.

The dog going nuts as the shaped charges blew apart my door would be a good hint.

Made them 20 years ago....the most important one being living at the end of a 4x4 trail in the woods out of sight from everybody.

The second most important living where there are no building codes and you can build a house with no ground floor windows and 5" thick doors.

As survivalists and preparedness-minded folks how do you answer the above questions? Have you seen new gun owners or other preparedness folks fall into the "Gun N' Done" mindset
Yep. I tell people that guns should be no more than 10% of your prepping investment. If you spend $500 on a new glock, you should have already spent $5000 on food, water, physical security, etc.

#16 ·
10% That’s not a bad way to look at things.

I think you need a gun first not just for SHTF but just normal security. I mean a home invasion can kill you just as dead today as after the zombies rise up.

But having a gun post SHTF don’t mean much of your don’t have anything worth taking and you starve to death or get sick from dirty water.
You could get the gun first. I would too If I was starting from ground zero. The idea is just that while guns are important, I think they are only about 10% of the overall prepping equation. Think of it as a yearly average suggestion rather than an order of operations.

A lot of people will spend thousands on guns, but who haven't spend anything on hardened doors or windows, or security systems, which in the scheme of things I think are more important.

If you like to watch home invasion video's, you will see that very often the front door is kicked in with almost no effort and its just luck the homeowner wins the resultant gunfight...when all they needed was a good door to prevent it entirely.

#8 ·

Because it's there. It's full of food, guns and cash. But no reason at all is needed. The only fatal home invasion in my AO occurred when someone from a local city drove an hour out in the country, knocked on a random door and asked if the guy had any cigarets. Being Montana, the homeowner answered the door with a rifle, which was taken away from him and used to beat him to death. When the police showed up they found the perp calming sitting on the victims porch, smoking a cigaret.

By someone evading the dogs, the motion alarms, the trip wires and security cameras and either taking me by surprise when I open the door to go take a pee, or by using demo saws or explosives to breach my hardened doors.

The dog going nuts as the shaped charges blew apart my door would be a good hint.

Made them 20 years ago....the most important one being living at the end of a 4x4 trail in the woods out of sight from everybody.

The second most important living where there are no building codes and you can build a house with no ground floor windows and 5" thick doors.

Yep. I tell people that guns should be no more than 10% of your prepping investment. If you spend $500 on a new glock, you should have already spent $5000 on food, water, physical security, etc.
I saw the pics from your home build thread and it is incredible! You are right about location, it solves most of the problems. I am in the burbs outside of a major city. The sleepy upper-scale part of suburbia that has little to no crime but that could always change.

#10 ·
Look, there are people out there who will break into your house just for the fun of watching you die as they kill you. That's right! You could end up being nothing more than tomorrow night's entertainment for some lowlife with a warped sense of thrills and humor.

The why has nothing to do with anything logical in some cases. The invaders may pick your home because it's the wrong color, in the wrong location or they simply don't like its design. Some home invasions make no sense at all and are completely random which is why police often take years to solve them. They made no sense in the first place.

You'll know when your home gets hit because of the damage that gets done and spread out throughout the entire house. This is especially true with punk kids who invade a home when nobody is there. I saw a home where 3 young punks took the family cat, shoved it in a microwave and turned on the microwave to maximum time setting as they left the house loaded with stolen loot. Needless to say the whole house stunk after the cat cooked off in the microwave and loot was dropped all over the place. The punks, when we caught them, got more jail time for hurting the cat then they did for the burglary.

Lifestyle changes? How about mental mindset changes. Most people don't have the mental mindset or mental strength to actually defend themselves from evil people in a violent attack situation. Most people are not ready to fight at the drop of a hat or nasty word. In today's world, even in your own home, you need to always be ready to fight, shoot or stab somebody who wants to attack you. America is fast becoming a war zone and that war zone may soon enter into YOUR living room. The liberals have run free too long and now we are suffering from their lack of courtesy, control and intelligence decision abilities.

So, set your mind right. Develop situational awareness all around all the time. Properly arm yourself even at home. You don't need to be paranoid about things, just smart.

#12 ·
Most people are not ready to fight at the drop of a hat
Indeed.

This is why I advocate hardening your home so nobody can get in it at a drop of a hat.

People who DO kill at their doorstep at the drop of a hat often find themselves in the courtroom defending themselves from shooting a family member, lost civilian, or similar.

Sadly, many people would still be alive, defender and door knockers both, if the DOOR was built so that neither party need to win a quick draw contest in the doorway to be safe.

#14 ·
Most people are not ready to fight at the drop of a hat
Indeed.

This is why I advocate hardening your home so nobody can get in it at a drop of a hat.

People who DO kill at their doorstep at the drop of a hat often find themselves in the courtroom defending themselves from shooting a family member, lost civilian, or similar.

Sadly, many people would still be alive, defender and door knockers both, if the DOOR was built so that neither party need to win a quick draw contest in the doorway to be safe.
Having two doors helps this. They have to make noise breaking one beige they can start on the other.

If the alarm is on the first one even better.

#15 ·

As survivalists and preparedness-minded folks how do you answer the above questions? Have you seen new gun owners or other preparedness folks fall into the "Gun N' Done" mindset
10% That’s not a bad way to look at things.

I think you need a gun first not just for SHTF but just normal security. I mean a home invasion can kill you just as dead today as after the zombies rise up.

But having a gun post SHTF don’t mean much of your don’t have anything worth taking and you starve to death or get sick from dirty water.

#18 ·
You could get the gun first. I would too If I was starting from ground zero. The idea is just that while guns are important, I think they are only about 10% of the overall prepping equation. Think of it as a yearly average suggestion rather than an order of operations.

A lot of people will spend thousands on guns, but who haven't spend anything on hardened doors or windows, or security systems, which in the scheme of things I think are more important.

If you like to watch home invasion video's, you will see that very often the front door is kicked in with almost no effort and its just luck the homeowner wins the resultant gunfight...when all they needed was a good door to prevent it entirely.
Yep, layers of security add up to reducing the risk.

#20 ·
there is a mile of dirt road with two gates which can be locked before one gets to my locked gate. In a time of chaos those gates would be locked. Anyone coming through those gates would be looking for trouble/stealing. All of my neighbors are armed. We are the last place on the road. No other access roads in the foothills. Between the dogs and the neighbors shooting we would know if something bad were going down. A couple of speed bumps on the road would also limit traffic. Anyone coming in would be looking for livestock. It would not end well for them. there is also the Myth of the area. 8 years ago a few local deputies shot a drug dealer a couple miles down the road. A child molester was found dead in his car 10-12 years ago. A few of the locals have useless children who do drugs and live in trailers on their parents property buy we don't have much of a crime issue. In a time of chaos, trash from the valley is not going to drive all the way up here. This community is protected by isolation, myth and firearms.

#21 ·
I think the best thing you can do is get a dog , I have a 70lb poodle and he is the best alarm .
I all so have a big hound , I sleep behind a heavy wood door that is not getting broken in to easily .
I carry 24/7 .
I live on the top of a Mountain on a 3 mile long dead end road on the 2500 foot jeep trail ? No one comes up here
The town just paved my road friday so things mite change 😬.
I feel safe for now .
All the prep in the world is not going to help if there is a guy off in the woods with a rifle waiting for you to step outside .
Any house can be broken in to .

#22 ·

I think #1 is something nobody can blow off. Just having a home makes you a target for a determined thief or idiot.

We have a short, private road; single-entry for any vehicle. Bordered by a thick tangle of woods on one side, a 11-acre pond on the other, and a swampy area behind us...there's only one way in and one way out unless you're a truly dedicated individual.

If there's power to the house, we'll know if someone is doing something stupid. No power, chances are, we're home...if not, the mutt scares every delivery guy/gal that comes by.

I'm good on the life-style. No need to change. However, one aspect that needs inclusion to all gun-owners, is training. I've seen a few new "Fudds" in training classes and they are more a threat to themselves and any friendlies around them with a gun than to any serious threats. Having a gun is good, knowing how to safely handle it, shoot it properly, and basic manual of arms are common-sense fundamentals. However, can the gun-owning individuals actually manipulate and utilize their firearm in even a moderately stressful, 3D range-environment? Add in basic tactics for in/around house gun-use gets them started on understanding that just having a gun is near the bottom run of the ladder towards being serious about your self/home defense.

I would add that there needs a separate focus on basic "physical security" of one's domicile and neighborhood. Do you even know the likely threats in your immediate area? Just understanding the avenues of approach, probable entry points and vulnerabilities, likely access points, knowing the terrain and effects, etc are all key to building a better home-defense plan...and then you can start to address hardening the home and best-practices for basic physical security and other measures to help address those potential vulnerabilities and minimize your home as a target. The gun is a few rungs higher on that ladder and there's more to it than simply knowing which end the bullet comes out...

ROCK6

#23 ·
...one aspect that needs inclusion to all gun-owners, is training. ...can the gun-owning individuals actually..utilize their firearm in even a moderately stressful, 3D range-environment? ..there's more to it than simply knowing which end the bullet comes out...
Amen.. I was just thinking about this yesterday pm, driving.. Having / Owning the gun(s) - alone - puts one No More at an 'advantage', then going to 'Home Depot', and dropping a couple Grand on "tools", makes one a "Carpenter"...

..Nor does possessing the 'title' ("Carpenter" / "Gun Owner") mean one will inherently 'know' How to use the tools they Bought / own - just Because they Did/Do - and In an 'expert manner', to achieve "Expert results" (which, relative to having Guns for 'survival' - is actually surviving a life/death gunfight.. Far-higher stakes than just 'getting paid or not' on a construction-gig, etc..)

The Tools, the Training - and the Time-in. Just like anything else.. Ain't no such thing as a 'good luck charm' / buy-in to "Expertise".. :cool:

jd

#24 ·
Layered Defense = things like locks, alarm, dogs, cameras, lights, hardened weak points, relationship with neighbors, limiting information to public (i.e. not posting crap inline about being somewhere else), trimming bushes, not leaving valuables (or things like prescriptions, electronics, jewelry) in plan sight, a firearm, etc.

#25 ·
Great examples given so far. I'll add some examples of why people should ask themselves these questions:

Dealing with illegal drugs or activity- or having someone in your home that does.(The number one reason for home invasions)
Selling high dollar cash items at your address.
Announcing activities on social media.

Answering the door to strangers (Very common)
Lack of situational awareness while exiting/entering home.
Leaving downstairs windows or doors open/unlocked.

Security system
Dog
Motion Alarms/lighting
Alerts that can be heard from anywhere in the house.

Not associating with criminals (including family members that are)
Not being regularly drunk or stoned.
Fitness. ie if it takes you too long to take off your cpap equipment and roll lout of bed.

Plenty of other examples to consider.

#26 ·
Why? Criminals behave like criminals and do criminal stuff for endless stupid reasons. They could follow you or your wife or daughter home, like that murdered family in IIRC CT or Rhode Island. They could mis-identify the home as wrong target. They could see something valuable and want it. Could be revenge, road rage, opportunistic, desperate, etc.

How? Kick in front door, bust in window, rip off garage door, walk thru carelessly left open door, drive thru the side of the house with a stolen car, etc.

Response? Lots of surprises in store.

Change lifestyle? Yes, move to a region with good safety and strong gun and castle doctrine self defense laws. Move to the best area you can afford and live a safe long life.

Also, Opsec and Persec, not advertising when you're going on vacation (I see a lot of that online), and not selling high dollar items at your home. I see a lot of this particularly at garage sales or letting strangers come buy something in their homes. Often at garage sales folks have their garage open to the world, and I've suggested to people to cover their safe at least with a sheet or blankets and to not hold hundreds of dollars in cash at their sale.

#27 ·
My house was broken into in 2002, right after Xmas by a week or two. By the way the place was ransacked, deep into closets... the cops said the thief was probably looking for guns. They also go for prescription pain killers. We had no guns at the time and no alarm system either.

My guns are locked up if they are not with me. Any pain medications are hidden out of sight. One thing anyone needs to do is go around your house or garage, look in the windows to see what is visible from the outside.

See what a potential thief may see, pocketbooks, guns, ammo, watches left on the counter, prescription bottles for anything, cameras and so on.

#28 ·
Couple of observations.....

1) IR spotlights, cameras, alarms etc......great, but do they continue to work if there is a power cut (deliberate or otherwise)?
You could lose power at night when you are asleep so wouldn't know until it was too late.

2) Dogs, great for alerting when you are there, would they defend your property when you're not? Would they actually defend you at all? Most wouldn't unless they've been trained properly.
If you just need an alert dog, get a small one, they have better hearing and don't need as much food.

All I'm saying, don't rely on technology or anything else.
Rely on yourself and family to know what to do without even saying anything.
Train for possibilities, make sure you know what to do in emergencies. Practice, practice, practice, but not that it takes over your life.

#34 ·
I think that’s something people don’t realize about dogs. 99% of dogs will not attack an intruder unless they have been trained to do so. Ask any dog handler they will say this is true.

That said many dogs WILL attack somebody if they are in a pack. And that pack includes you ( the alpha hopefully in their pack ). This is because dogs are naturally pack animals. They’re instinct is to surround their foe and attack him form the rear or sides while he’s distracted by the dogs in front.

This is why when you hear about fatal dog attacks it’s usually more than one dog.

That said a big dog is a better choice even if you only have one untrained dog. They will intimidate many people. Sure most crooks know 99% of the time a dog won’t bite. BUT a 200 pound dog doesn’t make you want to roll the dice for that 1%.

I had a Great Dane that would **** himself if I yelled at him. BUT his bark was like lurch from the Adams family. Somebody would come tot he door and they where terrified of the “monster“ .

Also if you are in a physical fight , there is a good chance your dog will get involved. Even if it’s only marginally Nipping at the heels a large dog can really tip the odds in your favor. Just the fact that your opponent has to watch him , much less fend off a bite while fighting you makes the fight harder.

#32 ·
Guns serve their purpose but lose their effectiveness when no time is spent training.
It has to be second nature.
I sleep with a gun next to me and I holster it for a trip to the living room or anywhere else. Can't get to the gun if it's not in your hand. Storm doors locked and main door locked. My sweet Doberman and German Shepherd pretty much answer my door for me.
They know who I know. Everyone else seems unfriendly for some reason

#39 ·
When people ask if mine bites I tell them yes, yes he does. One of my neighbours STILL put his hand through the fence trying to pat him even when just seconds before I told him that he does bite. He barely pulled the hand back before loosing some of his figners. He looked at me shocked "He tried to bite me!"... what can you say when confronted with such level of stupidity?:rolleyes:

#36 ·
I didn't see it mentioned, and it should go without saying: if you're into guns and shooting, don't brag about it on Facebook! Same as going on vacation, don't post pics and stories of your adventures until you get home.

My FB page is also a business page. I'm stunned by how often people are posting pics of their new gun (or current gun that they color filled), or pics of some crappy grouping they did at the range over the weekend. I shake my head and say nothing.

#37 ·
...if you're into guns and shooting, don't brag about it on Facebook! Same as going on vacation, don't post pics and stories of your adventures until you get home...
Sage advice, but.. Even better: Just don't.. Ever.. :thumb: Privately-text / create private-server-linked pix-sets, etc such to any Family / Friends that 'really Need / want to know', and don't Ever invite 'FB / their Alphabet Agency-buddies' into your Private life.. Bad enough with all the invasiveness we really Can't control (cams everywhere, etc)

jd

#38 ·
You could call it that I guess. Think a gun is a magic wand of some kind. Its more like the last line of defense, its the fire extingusiher... when the best thing to do is to NOT have a fire at all or stop it immediately before it gets out of hand.

Becuase bad people exist and such things happen, evne if statistically speaking the chances of suffering a home invasion where I live is very low to say the least.
someone sneaking in. trying to open a door only to find it shut. Could be forced in at gunpoint when driving back home, but thats simply unheard of in these parts. Still possible.
Someone would have to jump out 6 foot fence, not get eaten by our english bull terrier who doesnt like strangers and eats cow bones as candy, then either cut through thefront metal reinforced door with a grinder of likely spend more and hour prying and breaking metal away with a large prybay. or use a car jack to pry the burglar bars in the window. Id either heard this or get notified by the alarm sistem.
Already pretty well prepared. The couple times Ive seen somewhat suspicious looking people (maybe looking for an empty summer house to try their look with, one with a lot les security than hours) all it took was stare them right int he face and smile and they took off. :D:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.