Survivalist Forum banner
8M views 62K replies 5K participants last post by  Sourdough 
#1 ·
Today I did some research on heirloom seeds and passed the info on, to some friends. Also will be hitting the pool to get the exercise in. Will be reading my survival manual during my down time tonight.

Prepping can be quite overwhelming to beginners, but doable in bite sized pieces.

It would be neat to hear what all of you are doing.

#41,641 ·
Yeah, bigger is definitely more important around here. Our cheapO mower is a 42” so it takes a couple solid weekends to cut the 10 acres (+/-) I keep chopped down. That’s providing there are no mechanical issues which hasn’t been the case.
I wish I could find a dirt cheap bush hog and convert it to be self powered by one of my small motors. Pull it along behind the Jeep or something. Heck, two bush hogs would be even better. Just have to keep bandaiding the current one for now and suck it up.
I use my bush hog for the rough areas as needed. It is about time to clear the shooting lanes for deer season.

#41,642 ·
Got the new mower and a couple of estimates to fix the driveway and recondition a secondary road on the property.
I have a Husqvarna. Decent more (other than a couple major shortcomings).

Pull the transaxle regularly to check/top off oil in the "sealed/no maintenance" K46 (POS). I'd suggest annually. Replacing it will cost you $650 for the trans. Don't even THINK about pulling even a light cart with it and go easy/not straight up any slopes. The K46 is a VERY LIGHT duty unit but in MANY small (all big box) mowers. (as I learn recently).

https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-59...&keywords=tuff+torq+k46&qid=1597158286&sr=8-4

Keep an eye on the frame for cracking. It looks like they added a small bottom flange to current model (but still a rather light duty piece). The frame on my 5yr old mower sheared completely on both sides (final failure may occurred when jacking the rear up to put the failed transmission). The Kohler engine (NOT a "Courage" is still strong so going to weld the frame). Hopefully a refill of fluid and the transaxle will be back in business. Or possible new seals as really don't want to buy a $650 transaxle for a $2000 5yr old mower.

#41,643 ·
Move the 5 black and white chicks from the one coop/run to the one next door, with the rest of the black and white chickens (Barred rock and Silver-laced Wyandotte) to free up a little bit of room. Will probably be moving the larger of the turkey youngsters tomorrow.
Unexpectedly cool rainy afternoon in NE Iowa on Monday so cleaned out the chicken coop. Always a chore that everyone in the family competes for.

#41,644 ·
Been on some overlanding trips lately and thinking about optimizing the gear for quick camp setup, and I want to move the Jerry can outside the Wrangler and add a propane bottle so I don't have to rely on the 1-pound disposables. (I have the adapter to refill disposables from a 20-gal tank, which is handy, but you know...more gear.)

I already have a Warn rock crawler bumper and swing-out tire carrier, and I wanted something to mount onto that. This morning, I got the Smittybilt Intelligent Rack. It comes with a Jerry can mount but it doesn't lock down the cap when mounted, so I added this cheap mount to see if it works better. Should keep people from siphoning out the gas or pranksters from putting stuff in my water.

Pic from last week. The rack will go where the license plate is, so I'll have to fab a place to move the license plate and extend the wiring for the lights.

Next up will be the PowerTank Propane Mount and a five pound tank. Might get a ten pound one instead, but a five pounder will get me through week-ish trips. Twenty pounders won't fit on this mount.

The rack also comes with Hi-Lift mounts, but I already have a mount for that inside. I'll probably see if I can adapt it to carry the recovery boards outside. Those are bulky and a pain to store inside.

#41,645 ·
I have a Husqvarna. Decent more (other than a couple major shortcomings).

Pull the transaxle regularly to check/top off oil in the "sealed/no maintenance" K46 (POS). I'd suggest annually. Replacing it will cost you $650 for the trans. Don't even THINK about pulling even a light cart with it and go easy/not straight up any slopes. The K46 is a VERY LIGHT duty unit but in MANY small (all big box) mowers. (as I learn recently).

https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-59...&keywords=tuff+torq+k46&qid=1597158286&sr=8-4

Keep an eye on the frame for cracking. It looks like they added a small bottom flange to current model (but still a rather light duty piece). The frame on my 5yr old mower sheared completely on both sides (final failure may occurred when jacking the rear up to put the failed transmission). The Kohler engine (NOT a "Courage" is still strong so going to weld the frame). Hopefully a refill of fluid and the transaxle will be back in business. Or possible new seals as really don't want to buy a $650 transaxle for a $2000 5yr old mower.
The one thing I dislike about it is it’s negatraction transaxle. I say negatraction because a Positraction is supposed to send power from the wheel that slips to the one with traction and it seems to do just the reverse.

#41,646 ·
Unexpectedly cool rainy afternoon in NE Iowa on Monday so cleaned out the chicken coop. Always a chore that everyone in the family competes for.
would you believe that until now i never realized that neiowa = northeast iowa

never claimed I was a genius

#41,654 ·
As much as I like horses, free doesn't seem to be a proper adjective to describe ownership.
...and you note I didn't use that word. Coggins for both of 'em before they're moved, any other shots that they're behind one, and I doubt he'll throw in the tack and saddles... Probably looking at a couple hundred in expenses per horse before either one is moved.

Both horses are mares, of quarter horse blood lines, and fairly cattle-savvy. Not much experience riding the roads, or riding trails in back country.

#41,658 ·
#41,660 ·
Sorry. People try and give me free horses all the time, I guess I read that word in.

Whatever people pay for a horse its usually a drop in the bucket when stacked up with shoes, vets and food.
It's okay, Charlie Meyer. I've followed your posts on here quite a while. I've found a better home for these horses anyhow. Neighbor has children of an age to appreciate 'em and sufficient acreage to keep 'em properly. More important, they both have the bug and ride other folks' horses as much as they can beg time on 'em.