Survivalist Forum banner
8M views 62K replies 5K participants last post by  Sourdough 
#1 ·
Today I did some research on heirloom seeds and passed the info on, to some friends. Also will be hitting the pool to get the exercise in. Will be reading my survival manual during my down time tonight.

Prepping can be quite overwhelming to beginners, but doable in bite sized pieces.

It would be neat to hear what all of you are doing.

#21 ·
Just returned from a long weekend away for a wedding. I am now cleaning out the vehicle, replenishing my EDC, making ice in recycled plastic bottles, repacking for our annual trip to the North Shore of Lake Superior. This year, now that I am more aware of the need for prepping, I will be taking a few extra things that I have never taken before. I am secretly pretending that this is a "bug out situation" and am taking things that I feel would be very important. The husband and son are not into prepping so I am doing it on my own...just throwing in some extra tubs in the back of the pickup filled with useful :)D) items...

#22 ·
Just returned from a long weekend away for a wedding. I am now cleaning out the vehicle, replenishing my EDC, making ice in recycled plastic bottles, repacking for our annual trip to the North Shore of Lake Superior. This year, now that I am more aware of the need for prepping, I will be taking a few extra things that I have never taken before. I am secretly pretending that this is a "bug out situation" and am taking things that I feel would be very important. The husband and son are not into prepping so I am doing it on my own...just throwing in some extra tubs in the back of the pickup filled with useful :)D) items...
Good for you! In most families it is the husband who is into all this stuff. Nice to see other women out there taking this kind of initiative.:thumb:

#25 ·
Got 50 pounds of great northern beans , 50 pounds of navy beans , & 50 pounds of pearled barley bagged up & put into my buckets.
Have the dehydrater running with grated zuccinni drying, have a 5 gallon bucket full of grated zuc draining waiting to be drehyded.
Have 2 bushels of peaches to get dehydrated after zuc's are done . Then bag & bucket them.
Last canner load of beets comes off in 10 minutes. Have a heirloom red bourbon tom turkey & 3 heirloom slate female turkeys coming next Monday.All are 1 year old, hens are laying. Am going to try hatching out turkey eggs.

#29 ·
Yesterday, we finished canning 100lbs of fresh tuna and today I made potato soup-in-a-jar and homemade energy bars. We are leaving on vacation on Sunday and then will come home and hit the prepping hard again.
Would you be willing to share your energy bar recipe?? I have tried my hand at some, but would love a good "tried and true" recipe!

#30 ·
Just bucketed/bagged/sealed 50lb sugar, 50lbs salt, 50lbs pinto beans, 75lbs calrose rice, and wondered why I haven't done this earlier. Also bought 9 more cases of bottled water, a new molle backpack, serpa holster for my glock, grip tape for the glock, more molle AR pouches, and three survival books.

Nearly all of it was paid for by selling a window A/C unit we never used on craigslist. Go through stuff you never use and sell it for stuff you want!

#32 ·
Canned half a turkey in a half gallon jar. Going to see if i can create a whole Holiday meal from Prepped food stores.
Let us know how that goes please.

I cleaned 25lbs of hard red feed wheat and made cheese from powdered milk. Daughter and I cooked bread over a buddy burner for lunch.

Got 4 new 5 gallon buckets from the deli down the road and washed them too.

#33 ·
Well, didn't do very much today because I was in transit, but here's what I did this week.

During this past week I detoured from my summer trip cross country plans because of some hard/long thinking about the Community Survival discussion thread I'd been participating in through the previous week (and which I'll get back to hopefully tomorrow).

I first went down to Tulsa, OK where I checked out an old L19/O1 Birddog. It had recently been refurbished three years ago and had all its maintenance records up to date and it passed FAA inspection with flying colors. It was a repossession and I was able to buy it from the lien holder for 12K after I had a CFI give me a check ride. That done, the tanks were topped off and I flew down to my main retreat.

I landed at the retreat and was met by my "foreman", an old friend of mine who runs the ranch and is the general overseer for operations of the ranch, the retreat, and all of the facilities. I had him fly up from the ranch in Arizona to go over some new plans for modifications.

This week I met with the county emergency management officer as well as the county sheriff to discuss area disaster plans and training. Over the years my teams have used the site for pre-deployment training excercises and have trained the local LEO folks as well. As I'm getting older and not as spry as I once was, I've been considering making this area a larger scale training facility to supplement income for some added preps and additions to the site. An Indian reservation borders close to my property so I also met with their CLEO and a tribal representative to hash out a mutual support agreement and land usage for patrol training.

When all was done I had an agreement for county and tribal support for the additional state and federal permits and licensing to expand the training facility operations. The sheriff's equivalent of a SWAT team would be able to use the training area six times per year for free and all of his department will get a reduced training rate. The same for the tribal police, though they don't have a tactical team.

I ordered two used Unimog U500's in decent condition and ATF Dingo kits for them. When modified each truck will be leased to the county and tribal council for emergency services use and either entity is able to sign out the Bird Dog for search & rescue, drug interdiction or other official use with a pay as you go leasing arrangement signed. In regards to the Dingo upgrades from Textron, I was able to order four kits. One each for the two leased out vehicles and two for the facility for training purposes. ;)

Art, my foreman, and I went over ideas I had sketched out for additional protected vehicle and fuel storage for the site. Also discussed was adding extra bunk areas inside the silo shelter to accommodate up to three full teams if we're going to have a fully operational CONUS based training center. Current plans are for up to one team if they're nearby should an SHTF event happen. The new model will assure that one team is nearly always on site and two other teams rotating in or out at any given time. For stateside cycles they can perform as instructors in addition to regular training.

I'll be adding a lot of additional food preps to the site based on the Community Survival thread, but I'm still not certain of how to go about the distribution. One thing we discussed was more community involvement pre-SHTF, so that's what I'm attempting. I'll be fleshing out further ideas in the other thread over the next several weeks.

Ulfric

#37 ·
I moved 102 blackberry bushes we've been propagating. Had a small patch in the back yard for years that we're finally moving on turning into a large field of blackberries. Set up 400 row feet of trellis this spring and started tip-layering/propagating to get enough to fill out the new trellis rows. 102 new plants created this season. Will plant in the new trellis system after they go dormant for the fall. Just moved 'em out yesterday in their pots to see how many it would take to fill it out. I'm about half way there. Should have them all going after next spring's propagation plan.

Also had the brother-in-law drop off 4 large dump truck loads of manure. He runs a stable boarding 43 horses. I get all the free manure I want/need. This year's Mt. Manure has been delivered and started aging/composting for next year's garden.

We have crap clay soil, and every year we start improving another large plot. The manure is a god-send for this, and especially when I can get it for free.

#40 ·
Each and every day - my prep is reading this forum. It is also checking all my breaking news feeds I subscribe to on Twitter (I use Twitter for breaking news, weather, world updates and it works quite well). Specifically, today since I am off (work Sunday), I am going to pick up enough .223 @ the local gun shop to top off an ammo can. Then will work on putting together a "battle bag" I just got from US Peacekeeper - to keep with the AR. Keep @ it - it is work and can cost some some money -- but beats the alternative -- I think. Stay safe!!