Survivalist Forum banner

Cash and carry brisket $2.29

4K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  IamZeke 
#1 ·
Smartfoodservice or cash and carry has cryovac whole beef brisket for $2.29. These are big whole untrimmed briskets with a lot of exterior fat. I mean a lot of fat.

#3 ·
Do they have butchers in the store? Grind a brisket whole and you get roughly 70/30 ground beef, which is what basic store ground beef is. But this way you don't get old trimmings and pink slime added in to bulk it out.

Once you do the whole ground brisket you'll quit buying those stupid store packs of ground beef forever.

Everyone I've ever told about this has never complained about the final product quality.

It's only been the reluctance to buy so much at once or having problems getting the store butchers to grind it.

I haven't bought one of those small weight packs of normal ground beef in at least 15 years. I occasionally buy chili meat grind or super lean 90/10 ground sirloin for jerky or low fat dishes. But when I just want ground beef for the usual jobs I grab a pack off the freezer pile.

#5 ·
It has "bite". Raw brisket is tough meat at the start. So grinding is perfect.

It cuts those tough fibers, but the meat still has substance and some spring to it.

Again, remember you know where the meat has been too. No old scraps that change consistency between packs and no pink slime.

#7 ·
That $5 brisket is trimmed. This deal is for a whole brisket, 14 pound average, with a big fat cap. You can save the fat for ground deer or making gravy but you will have to trim.
Cash and carry is a West coast restaurant supply and only has meat in big cryovac packs.

#9 ·
I've been meaning to ask this for sometime now...is the brisket you're talking about in this thread, different than barbecue brisket? Is it different from the corned beef brisket as well?
Corned beef brisket is the only thing I see for sale here. Too, just before St. Patrick day, my regional supermarket sells the CB for, this past one, $1.69 and $1.89 a pound (point cut and flat cut), usually buy 6.

#11 ·
They’re talking about brisket for the BBQ.
You can get the “BBQ“ brisket trimmed or UNtrimmed.
With the trimmed just season and put on the pit.
The untrimmed comes with a thick layer of fat. A portion of that fat is typically removed prior to putting on the pit. (How much fat to remove and leave is a matter of great debate, like which is better.....ARs or AKs :taped:)
Corned Beef uses trimmed brisket that is cured with “curing salts” and spices then boiled.
Pastrami uses corned beef (cured brisket) and instead of boiling is smoked. https://amazingribs.com/tested-reci...s/home-made-pastrami-thats-close-katzs-recipe
Zeke’s recommendation to grind a whole brisket for the best burgers is absolutely correct.......Yummy.......
dmas’s recommendation if you’re trimming for the pit or want a leaner burger, to save the trimmings is great. Can use the fat later making deer sausage or render that fat down for making French Fries......best fries ever.

#14 ·
Good price. Just checked our local cash and carry & they have it in stock @ $2.29.
I would buy a couple, but our freezers are full.

We butcher a couple steers every fall. We set aside the briskets & trim meat to grind.
Folks eating with us often comment how great our burgers, meat loaf, meat balls, tacos, burritos etc including our ground beef tastes.

#18 ·
Sure, some folks think buying 15lbs or so at once is a minor hassle. But it is only a hassle the first time. You'll learn to adjust your freezer for the volume of each new buy and the upfront cost ultimately averages out, usually at notable savings. The quality and savings are worth the one time hassle.
The main problem is the normal cost of brisket in many places. $5-6 a lb is pretty high for people on a budget.

Now, if it was always $2.29 a lb....I'd never use anything else.

Hopefully they are still in stock, headed into town in a few to get some.

#20 ·
Yeah I saw that when we were there Sunday, but we were out of steak and ended up buying an 18 pound boneless rib eye roast ($6.99 a pound). Besides, I have about half a brisket in the garage freezer already. I might just grind the rib eye scraps with some brisket for some totally awesome burgers.

#34 ·
I suppose if you look good in a tight skirt and pushup bra then you will get your wish without a hassle. These guys are dealing with a lot of your raw food here.[/QUOTE]

Well since I am 6’8”, 350# with a lot of body hair, I don’t think the pushup bra is going to Work. Guess I will just grind it myself.

#35 ·
Fat ratio is important for actual burgers, depending on how you make them. If you like a thick burger then leaner is better. But a thinner wider fattier patty that you let cook long will have a great taste. You press the patties bigger than your bread/bun and cook it to shrink it to fit. This is more typically done on a pan or griddle. It's a great way to compensate for the lack of char over a fire. The extra fat cooks out, but leaves more flavor. Sometimes you just want a burger at home and not the extra fire grill duties.

We used to call these flat burgers a "fat burger" here, but that is an actual name of a old respectable burger chain out west. I guess we could call them grease burgers now but that isn't as appetizing sounding. Little burger joints here used to order up wider buns and cook a really wide burger that was flat. This was before the extra patty phenomenon of today. You sliced the toppings thin and capped it off with shredded lettuce. The burgers were like 7 or 8 inches wide and really flat. They were typically served sliced in half. Sure adding another patty is nice, but you change the flavor complexion. The wide flat version lets the condiments and toppings shine more in the flavor profile, but the extra fat in the patty let the meat still hold its own. You can't find these burgers now. You need a deal with a local bakery if you run a joint selling them. So many bakeries are huge conglomerates now and don't offer small special runs, and small burger joints aren't typically high profit places that will pay a boutique baker. But you could have a local bakery make up the flat wide buns and recreate this on your own. Instead of trying to go higher on your burger you go wider. The single patty Whataburger is the closest you can get to this old style today without making your own. Their burgers are a bit wider than most and they use the thin patty. They sell a lot of burgers.

Reactions: MikeK
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.