Survivalist Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Americans are renouncing their citizenship in record numbers

14K views 178 replies 57 participants last post by  merlinfire 
#1 ·
It seems that there is a third option during this US election year - vote with your feet.

https://fortune.com/2020/08/07/americans-renouncing-citizenship-passport-2020/

"Few would describe the year 2020 as the best of times for the United States. But for a growing number of Americans, the situation has become so intolerable they have cut their ties with the country altogether.

According to a recent survey of government data, 5816 Americans renounced their citizenship in the first six months of 2020. That is more than a ten-fold increase from the last six months of 2019, when 444 citizens gave up their passports.

The surge in renunciations during the first half of 2020 also breaks a record set in 2016 when 5,409 Americans gave up their citizenship over the course of the year. And it already outstrips the record level of renunciations that occurred in 2016 when 5,409 people in the United States turned in their passports."

#55 ·
Having lived and worked in very many countries over the last 40 years, first in the service, then out of the service... and raising children... I think has helped me greatly in preparations for if things go bad.

I've always been conscious of being a foreigner in other countries, not in a negative way, just that I/we were different and stood out. Again, not just because of colour although there was that, not just because of income, although there was that, and not just because of expectations, although there were those as well - but because we Look and Behave differently.

Quite a few years ago I remember reading that the Greek word for stranger was the same as enemy - "Xenos" - and it still applies in many cultures, in practice even not if linguistically. Having sat through a few coups in my time (one of which meant the wife and children went back home ASAP) - being different also potentially means being a Priority Target.

Why am I musing about this now? Because of this thread. I had a Plan B if I had to shelter in CONUS and because of the above, that was very much predicated on understanding that I would be better off as a quiet undemanding property-owning person (and legally present in the US) in a small sparsely-populated place with some skills to bring to the table and a cache to be self-sufficient with for some time, than an obvious foreigner queueing up at the intersection of Normandie and Florence, or Santa Monica Boulevard, for scarce resources.

Also, even if you've been away from your home culture for years, you do retain your home culture reflexes which serve you well when you are at home. Of course immigrants who make the effort to integrate, who arrived legitimately and who seek to join and strengthen, not weaken, the social contract, will generally be welcomed.

Immigrants who (even if they arrive legitimately) immediately start trashing their own country and complaining about their new country... are very much like people who criticise their wife or their co-workers behind their back as you work with them. You just know those people are insufferable fracks and will be trash talking you behind your back as well. And should the Faecal Material spiral into the Rotating Air Impeller, they won't have as many friends as they assumed. Wherever they wound up.

/ Rant over :)

#63 ·
Has anyone considered what the growing Cold War with China might have to do with this?

I thought I read the other week that the US would be barring entry by Chinese with CPC membership. Perhaps there's several thousand, or tens of thousands of Chinese businessmen and other professionals in the US and elsewhere who had both US citizenship and Communist Party membership. Depending upon how the Party at home looks upon those who renounce it, the effects of doing so on doing business with the mother country, or how the Party deals with the families of people who've renounced their membership) it might have made sense for plenty of people to drop US citizenship.

This is all speculation, but I would think it's worth looking into.

#70 ·
I think its wonderful that Snowflakes are leaving in record numbers.
President Trump should make it easier to renounce their citizenship.
One way tickets for everyone!
Make America Great Again!

He needs to hurry up because more will leave when he gets 4 more
years, especially if he makes it easy.

#71 ·
And here all along I had been hoping dirtpiggy was going to call all of the liberals here who have said time and again they were leaving and invite them on down to Kiwi-land. Sounds like a great place. Or perhaps not. A coworker of mine is Kiwi. Head of IT for my old BU there. Avid gun enthusiast. Or was I should say. Most of the good stuff had to be turned in to appease the Muslim extremists.

Reactions: SoJ_51
#72 ·
Most of the good stuff had to be turned in to appease the Muslim extremists.
Of COURSE. Otherwise, people would be able to fight back WHEN (NOT if) the extremists launch their Jihad to take over the country and impose Sharia law on EVERYONE. Because that IS their ultimate goal. First infiltrate quietly. Then, start taking over the political systems. THEN, when you have enough power, launch the all-out offensive to subjugate the infidels.

#74 ·
I got this from a Kiwi site (Moneyhub/NZ):

Income Level PAYE Rate
Income up to $14,000 10.50%
Income over $14,000 and up to $48,000 17.50%
Income over $48,000 and up to $70,000 30%
Income over $70,000 33%

Some other fun filled facts about the cost of living in NZ:
https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/country/new-zealand

If all of that good news does not make you day let's not forget about the Value Added Tax on your purchases:

13.00% The current New Zealand VAT (Value Added Tax) is 13.00%. The VAT is a sales tax that applies to the purchase of most goods and services, and must be collected and submitted by the merchant to the New Zealand governmental revenue department.

With the average "cheap" price of fuel being $5.337 per gallon I'm sure it is a whole lot of fun to take leisurely car rides through the countryside on a Sunday afternoon.

:thumb:

#85 ·
Seeing how I have also lived in the US for decades during my life, I am probably in a position to have a valid opinion of the place.

It is not like I am making comments about some country I have not personally lived in for significant lengths of time, like so many here are doing as they seem to think themselves qualified to do so about where I currently live.

#94 ·
Yet in all those decades in America (how many were simply as a child?) you couldn't figure out there are great places to live here that avoid the issues you are all worried about. Seems you don't know squat about the country of your birth. That you as a 30something? looked around and said screw all this personal responsibility and bailed.

#100 ·
I experienced enough in my adult life (at present, more years of that in the US than NZ) living/working in numerous states across all regions of America to come to the conclusion that leaving was the most prudent option to take. My personal experiences and observations of the past decade of life abroad has proven this original assessment to be 100% accurate to date.

#88 ·
@ dirtpig & co:

I'll start believing the United States of America is a hellhole, when I see trustworthy and repeated footage of people taking to unseaworthy boats and risking their lives and the lives of their children via gunfire, drowning and dehydration + starvation, to escape the hellhole that is apparently the United States of America.

Until then, FIOFO.

#92 ·
I love this country and I’m grateful to call it home but in all honesty what I see happening in Seattle, Portland, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc is breaking my heart.
If only we could find a reason why this is happening and fix it. There must be something they all have in common that the local citizens could recognize and change.
Hmmm, What could it be?[emoji848]

I’m only half joking here BTW, I don’t think they’ll ever get a rectal craniotomy.

#95 ·
Most people that renounce their citizenship do so for monetary gains or really to avoid taxes. Therefore most of the people that renounce are stinking rich and not a "normal" citizen. If a "normal" citizen like most people, renounces they lose a lot and could lose SS.

#102 ·
FYI

63% of US citizens have never set foot in any other country. And if they have, it is likely to have gone breifly to Mexico or Canada or have been on a cruise ship or some equally controlled visit. 11% have never left their home state.

Unless you have immersed yourself into the culture of another country for a long time, you really cannot form an informed opinion about that country.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dirtpig67
#117 ·
They are usually winners (financially) that’s why they are applying for a CLN and once processed it’s at the US Gov discretion if they decide to apply to become US citizens again. Blame your progressive and invasive tax environment not the people that want to make lots of money and keep a fair share of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.