Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Survival use. What lbs fishing line.. scoutrifleshooter Boating and Fishing 22 01-29-2017 06:52 AM
Fishing hooks in survival kits... I dont get it. Joseph51494 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 109 12-24-2016 09:22 PM
Helpful tips for solar new guys - post your tips here budgetprepp-n DIY - Do It Yourself 230 11-26-2016 07:19 PM
A Fishing Story kl0an Jokes, Humor & Music 2 11-06-2016 04:15 PM
VMC, Rapala Develop New Single Hooks For Plug Fishing AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 10-28-2016 12:30 PM

Old 11-26-2016, 08:55 AM

Default Fishing for quantity tips?

Advertise Here

I love fishing and can catch a few on the few occasions I get to go. This, however, doesn't fill a freezer with fillets. Anybody have any tips on catching quantities of fish without a boat? I'm near a lake and rivers. No gill netting but jug and limb lines are fair game. I put em to use when I can. Looking for other methods if you guys have any experience/knowledge. Tried to search but couldn't find anything on the forum and nothing very useful on google.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Backwoodsdreamer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2016, 09:28 AM

trotline, streched across cove or feed creek
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ss6613 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2016, 09:32 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

Troltlines are not legal most places.

Go where the fish are, and go at the right time of year. Keep track of your depth and speed. When you are successful, remember it. Some people write it down. Replicate what has worked before.

Some fish are very forgiving about the presentation like most warm water fish. Cold water fish especially salmon and steelhead are very particular about everything and hard to find, but they are large and delicious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2016, 12:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,492 Times in 6,329 Posts

Cast nets for bait, around here trotlines set along the bank across flow is illegal because it interferes with boats traveling up or down the river. These must be properly tagged with name, address and license number of the owner and must be checked every 24 hrs.

Something a friend of mine from Singapore has shown me is " there is no fish too small to eat " she takes the sunfish( 2-4 inches) we don't use for catfish bait and cooks them. Nor does she stop at fillets there will be a whole bare skeleton when she's finished head and all.
The Following User Says Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2016, 12:01 PM

learn the different baits and lures that work best..i use catawba worms here.on account the fish here love them..and their free, seeing how i go out and collect them from the catawba trees on the property..
The Following User Says Thank You to jimLE For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2016, 07:14 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,490 Times in 8,962 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Where legal, trot lines. Including along one bank.

Several types of traps.

Limb lines.

Cast net where legal.

Herding in shallow waters where legal.

Just my opinion.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:55 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,220 Times in 498 Posts

Here is the TN Fishing guide. https://issuu.com/thebinghamgroup/do...ing_guide_2016

Here is a link to TWRA. http://www.tn.gov/twra/

Trot lines are legal most places here and so are traps, with restrictions. Catawba worms are good and can be frozen in dry corn meal for use later, use the corn meal for making dough balls. Night fishing with lights can produce good catches of crappies. Catfishing does good overnight with trotlines and set lines, some people camp out on banks/sandbars with lines set out and bell on the tip of their rods. You can have up to three attended poles at the same time. Archery fishing, you can use a crossbow in TN., takes rough fish such as carp and buffalo.
The Following User Says Thank You to Freebirde For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2016, 08:52 PM
Retired thinker

Thanked 30,032 Times in 6,285 Posts

I lived in Northeast TN for a few years and fished just about every day in the Watauga river for trout. I have been fishing for trout for over 60 years so I have managed to figure out a few things. Here's a few tips that will dramatically improve your catch of trout, assuming that is what you are targeting.

Get an ultralight rod/reel and spool the reel with 4lb line. If you are fishing in a lake or body of deeper slow moving water, use a 1/8 oz sliding sinker. Slide the line through the sinker and tie off on a size 12 snap swivel. You could snell your own hook with about 2 feet of 2-3 lb test leader (6x or 7x tippet material works well) tied to a size 12 salmon egg hook or get a pack of GamakatsuŽ Snelled Single Trout Egg Hooks - size 12 Gold from Cabelas or any other place that sells them... they are quality hooks snelled with 2lb test line and a long leader (you tie a loop at the end of the leader and hook that to the snap swivel.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Gamak...Id%3D734095080

I have had amazing results with Berkley yellow glitter power bait. Put a small ball the size of a pea on your hook.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Berkl...it%26CQ_st%3Db

Trout are leader shy. That is why you need light line and small hooks. If you are fishing in faster water like a river or a stream, the power bait works there too but you want to use just enough weight to sink the bait. If you use corn, worms, wax worms, crickets or other bait, then replace the sliding sinker with a single bb splitshot or the lightest you can use to cast out and sink the bait. Cast up stream and let the bait float to the fish.

If you use light line, minimal weight, and small hooks you will catch more trout then you could imagine. I once caught 16 trout on 4lb test with 2lb leader that were from 20-24" long, some weighing up to 6 lbs. Use light tackle but play the fish carefully and use a net and you can handle even the biggest trout. My biggest was a 28" brown that weighed around 10lbs.

Good luck.

Here's a few big rainbows that I got with the Powerbait and sliding sinker rig in little Wilbur Dam --- great fishing place.
I lived a few minutes from there and fished it often.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fillzee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 08:54 AM

Carbide in a baby food jar and a rock. Punch hole in top . Gass builds up and goes boom. Scoop'em up
Old 11-27-2016, 11:31 AM

I tried yoyos and had better luck limb fishing also trap fishing by making fencr traps with sticks along the banks and or bait trap cages if it's allowed in ur area then again if shtf who cares.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigWolf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 06:17 PM
U.S. Army Retired

Great advice Fillzee. Can you share some pictures of your line set up. I'm a visual person, I'm having a hard time figuring out your set up.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2016, 09:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,608 Times in 840 Posts

Carry a bunch of cheap stringers. String your fish and leave them where you catch them. Go back and get them when you are done. Use the thinnest, most crystal clear line as possible and small hooks. Maggots make great bait. Fish are prey as well, always stalk them like they are a wary dear. Stay low and make as little noise as possible. Gin clear water is the toughest.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:39 AM
Target Shooter

If I teach you people to fish, you will wind up sitting in a boat and drinking beer all day LMAO! Then again, I worry about people who are too lazy to fish!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hayden For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 06:40 AM

How do you tell if you have a fish on your line?
Old 09-16-2019, 10:18 AM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 30,159 Times in 9,929 Posts

What kind of fish are you talking about?

FYI, most ways that allow you to catch lots of fish are illegal... there is a reason. What happens when you gill twice the allowed limit? How about when you kill other animals in your illegal trap (especially turtles)?
Old 09-17-2019, 12:44 PM
Just some guy

Thanked 18,758 Times in 6,171 Posts

Your gonna want to go after fish that run in schools. Bluegills, perch, crappies, white bass etc. I've caught them hundreds of ways but by far the most effective is a simple lightweight jig head tipped with bait.

Crappies and white bass will take worms and grubs but much prefer small minnows. Down here in Texas it's shad. Yellow perch will take either depending on their mood and what's available. For sunfish and blue gills it's worms, maggots, meal worms and grubs.

Also key is to use the absolute lightest tackle you can get away with. We go with 4lb test and ultra light rods. This really let's you " feel " for light bites. Crappies are notorious for just mouthing a bait and sitting still. Too heavy a line or rod and you'll never know a fish is on.

Don't worry about light line. Unless your fishing heavy cover with lots of snags 4 or 6 lb test is enough.

All these were caught using what I'm talking about. The larger fish were not the target but as often happens when jigging up panfish you do take a few bigger predatory fish.

All caught from shore, no boat.

We regularly go and end up surrounded by people that can't catch a thing. The single biggest mistake I always see is people using ridiculously heavy rids, ridiculously heavy line, and ridiculously heavy baits.

I guarantee you will catch more fish all around by going as light as you can. The lighter the line and bait the more natural and therefore tempting your bait is. Yes you will lose a larger fish now and then but with good gear, reels with super smoothe drags are a must, you will get many more bites which equates to more fish landed.

Read the water. Look for baitfish. White bass and crappies get after bait and often you'll spot bait jumping all over the place. A sure sign for a good spot to try. Dont see bait? Follow the birds...

Don't be afraid to move around. If your not getting bites within half an hour, an hour at the long end of the spectrum, move. Look for drop offs, weed beds, Creek mouths, current... All draw fish.

Be patient. Also understand that even the best of us get skunked now and then. Keep at it.

Also, when cleaning your catch....open up the stomachs and see what's in there. Valuable clues to super hot baits to use in there.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:50 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 30,159 Times in 9,929 Posts

Honestly, I've caught more pan fish and bait fish by cast netting and by setting out a wire box trap. Netting is instant and can be very rewarding. A trap works really well, but you have a tendency to kill turtles and from time to time a thief checking the trap before you get back.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,022 Times in 616 Posts

Is there a target species? Many species can be caught with a cast net. Here we can only use them in tidal waters but i have caught as many as 1 75 bunker (about 3-4" each) in a single cast. I believe it was a 10 ft net. I have caught many other species in it as well just by casting randomly.
Other than that, trotlines are pretty awesome for catfish. They dont need to be a mile long. I experimented with a 9 hook trotline to test different bates. It produced when my fishing pole wouldnt. I usually set mine while fishing just to put some extra meat in the cooler. In a few hours i could catch as many as 10 cats in waters that arent prime areas (i like areas where i am alone). I prefer circle hooks for this but J hooks will work.I
Old 09-21-2019, 10:48 PM
I say I say

Thanked 1,334 Times in 504 Posts

In general, what I see is people using a crappy, cheap, oversized rod and line and lures....and the biggest mistake is a big bobber if fishing with one. Use the smallest bobber you can. The less resistance the fish feels the more successful fishing will be.
I see people at our local park at the kids only stocked trout pond....I was there with my nephew. Everybody was getting nibbles on their goofball or larger size bobbers but we were catching one after the other on a bobber the size of a large grape....plus we had a 6' ultralight with 4# test.....I think everybody else there was using 6'+ rods, medium+ action, and coiled up 10#+ test that probably had been on the reel for years.
Go light. Fresh line at least every year. Stren magnathin is a good mono line