Survivalist Forum banner

Motorcycle Recommendation

4K views 36 replies 27 participants last post by  Area Man 
#1 ·
Hey all.

I’m considering getting a bike again, and just looking for some recommendations as what kind.

I’m mostly going to use it as a commuter in town, to get from the house to work/school, but also to ride some logging roads to look for elk hunting spots. No single track, but some mud and bumps. I’d also like to make a couple hour commute to my Guard Base in the summer months, all on 2 lane blacktop, 75mph speed limit.

I’m thinking a DR-Z400, or XR-650. The KLR 650 is also a consideration. I had thought about a 250cc bike of some sort, which would work in town, but might have trouble keeping highway speeds to get to the logging roads (some are about an hour away). And the long commute is pretty much not going to happen (~165 miles according to google), just because I wouldn’t want to work a 250 that hard.

Anyone have any suggestions?

#4 ·
I had a KLR but it wasn't much of a road bike and was definitely not a trail bike.
I sold it and bought a used ST1300 for the roads and commuting and have gone through several trail bikes. Two hours on a KLR at 75mph will rattle your bones, but they are very reliable and last a long time.

#8 ·
BMW GS series

They make several different sizes for your fit and needs.
You will only need one in your lifetime because BMWs pretty much last forever.

#9 ·
Don't get a 250. It won't do what you want it to and you won't like it for too long it. Get a used one if it's a first bike and definately take the MSF BRC. Not just saying that because I'm a rider coach but because it does help.

#11 ·
KLR 650.
I've got one. Bulletproof and anything that does go wrong with them is already known.
You will probably need to change the stock gearing for road use unless you want to run it near the redline continually.
It is light enough to pick up if you drop it and doesn't break easily when you do.
You will need to be at least 5' 10" or so because it is a really high bike. Even then only the tips of your toes will touch the ground. Shorter people do ride them and you can lower the suspension and get the seat cut out a bit but it feels really top heavy unless you are tall.
Stick road tyres on it for the commute and have some more aggressive ones for trail work.
It isn't a bike you want to be getting air on, just a good all-rounder.

According to a Dutch traveller I met who has ridden in many parts of the world, the Royal Enfields are a good bike but can't hold the speeds you want.

#13 ·
I have owned a lot of Motorcycles. Not one has ever saved me any
money. I drive a Tractor Trailer for a living and see many people texting
and driving. With Gas dirt cheap, now is the worst time in history to
ride a motorcycle.

My recommendation is get a used Jeep, take the top off and leave
the top in your garage. Drive it year around like that for a year.
Then when your tired of being miserable, put the top on.

#19 · (Edited)
I've also owned a street bike. Between the purchase, riding equipment, safety classes, insurance, and maintenance they won't save you fuel economy and they will cost a lot more than the trivial extra gas expenses of a 4 wheel vehicle.

And factor in a single fender bender that might scuff car paint or require a tow, can cripple or kill you. I've hand 1 acquaintance die (Army co-worker in my unit), 1 friend maimed (lost his leg), and 1 girlfriends' dad lose his leg. And a lot of people in my greater circle died on bikes.

Life is already risky. Riding a bike is just an unacceptable level of risk when you pass thousands of inexperienced and inattentive drivers who can kill you because they are texting or not attentive. It's simply not a worthy risk if the goal is to try to save pennies on fuel economy (which, as stated, you won't). Think of all the accidents you witnessed, were part of, or knew people who were in accidents. Most of them would either not be survivable or the injuries would be life altering on a bike. Accidents WILL happen on the road. Be in a safe vehicle. No on a totally exposed 2-wheel death machine. They are referred to as "motor donors" in the medical community for good reason.

If you want to save money on fuel, get a well loved 15 year old Honda Civic or Accord. If you need something that can go off-road, get an old 4-banger Toyota pickup or 4Runner 4x4. Any of these will set you back maybe $2000-3000. They will last 300,000 miles and they sip gas. Ultra reliable and affordable and cheap to fix.
In his OP he says he has ridden MCs before, he should be familiar about the risks. He said nothing about cheaper transportation costs. Stop trying to talk people out of their decisions because those decisions aren't what you would make, He has his reasons and that's all that matters. LC, you are against anything you see as potentially dangerous, some people prefer to have a life.

#17 ·
I've owned over 30 bikes the last 18 years, nearly all of them Dual-Sport and Adventure bikes.

Despite me owning a BMW right now, a Sertao 650GS, I would not recommend a BMW. I have owned five of them and they are money pits and those dang Germans are so technical and complicated with their builds. (My trip of a lifetime, a 6 week ride to Alaska and back was derailed 5 days in by my BMW 1200GS. ....Transmission failure). They look great in front of a Starbucks. If you have deep pockets dive in. BMW = Bring More Wallet

Kawasaki USA gave me a KLR650 for a year to ride and advertise and write a couple of articles on. Many slander this bike, but it is incredibly simple and capable. My good friend, who has circumnavigated the globe seven times on bikes rides a KLR. I would give it a thumbs up, especially for your commuting and the pavement runs up to the mountains to do your exploring. The bike is fantastic on Forest Service roads and even on mild 2-track.

Also, there is the Honda XR650L (not to be confused with the Honda XR650R, the Baja 1000 Champion years ago). I have owned 2 "L's" and 1 "R". The "L" is a heck of a bike that would be great for your town rides and for all the off-road you will do in the mountains. It sucks on long highway runs. It is a smooth and very pleasant ride, far better than the KLR suspension. (DR650 is also excellent. If you are challenged on your inseam, the DR is the better choice.)

Finally there are the little 250's. The KLX250S and the CRF250L.... Both are fantastic. Right now my wife rides the KLX and she loves it. I de-smogged it, opened it up, rejetted and threw on an FMF and it is very spirited.... so much so that I like riding it. Don't ignore these 250's as they have become very, very popular in recent years. The are light and capable. Our KLX will cruise down the highway to 70mph easily... it only weighs 250lbs and is a blast to throw around on dirt and the dang thing gets about 70mpg. I put a 3 gallon tank on it and it will go 200 miles between fills.

While KTM makes some good bikes and I have owned two 950 adventures and a 450EXC, I am not a fan. They just aren't as reliable as the asian brands. And their newest offerings like the 790 Adventure is completely disappointing. They are also crazy expensive, pushing BMW's prices.

Probably stay away from the big adventure bikes as they are pigs..... dual-sport is probably the best bike for you.

If you can wait 3-4 months and can spend $10k.... Go all in on the new Yamaha Tenere 700. This is my next bike and I will be purchasing spring of 2021. It will replace the Sertao.

#18 ·
I've also owned a street bike. Between the purchase, riding equipment, safety classes, insurance, and maintenance they won't save you fuel economy and they will cost a lot more than the trivial extra gas expenses of a 4 wheel vehicle.

And factor in a single fender bender that might scuff car paint or require a tow, can cripple or kill you. I've hand 1 acquaintance die (Army co-worker in my unit), 1 friend maimed (lost his leg), and 1 girlfriends' dad lose his leg. And a lot of people in my greater circle died on bikes.

Life is already risky. Riding a bike is just an unacceptable level of risk when you pass thousands of inexperienced and inattentive drivers who can kill you because they are texting or not attentive. It's simply not a worthy risk if the goal is to try to save pennies on fuel economy (which, as stated, you won't). Think of all the accidents you witnessed, were part of, or knew people who were in accidents. Most of them would either not be survivable or the injuries would be life altering on a bike. Accidents WILL happen on the road. Be in a safe vehicle. No on a totally exposed 2-wheel death machine. They are referred to as "motor donors" in the medical community for good reason.

If you want to save money on fuel, get a well loved 15 year old Honda Civic or Accord. If you need something that can go off-road, get an old 4-banger Toyota pickup or 4Runner 4x4. Any of these will set you back maybe $2000-3000. They will last 300,000 miles and they sip gas. Ultra reliable and affordable and cheap to fix.

#22 ·
[_ said:
ni/\/\og;20315766]Did see anyone else mention it but I love my Honda Africa twin ( dct model) been great on road and light off road, good support and accessories market ( bags ,cases etc)
Honda do a 500 as well which sort of splits the difference between road and trail.

And lighter which is quite often very useful.
https://youtu.be/qQ3tZsDcxQA

I have a klr 650 which I like but it is a bit tractor ish.

Again you could cheat a bit there and get the versies which is a bit more road bike.

#25 ·
Some of you folks dont see the diff between driving and riding. Been riding all my life, 15 years in Big D where traffic is horrendous. Never had accident with a car. I know, I have been cruisin and thought to myself, "If you pull out, Im toast". But that doesnt mean I quit riding. As I am older, I cant ride as far as I used to, but it is still a rush to get out in the BREEZE! And leaning into a turn, even at 20 mph, is still fun.
Plus, this is a SURVIVAL FORUM. A dual sport bike could be the difference between life/death if the right situation develops. A car will be trapped in places where a bike can get away. Face it, there are times a bike can come in very handy!

#31 ·
I got my first bike at age 14, been riding ever since (66). I've been in Big D numerous times on my bike, LOL it can be an experience. I've had my bike knocked out from under me by a car coming towards me making a sudden left in front me. Ride year round, even in winter, been caught out in hail storms a time or two, ever wonder what it feels like to ride on ball bearings? LOL Still got three two cycle dirt bikes from long ago; Honda 250 Elsinore, Yamaha MX360 and DT400. Doubt my old knee would let me start any of them but just can't seem to part with them.

I can't ride as far now as I used to, arthritis in my left shoulder has slowed me down some but I'll still ride.

#28 ·
What type of bike?

Of all the Motorcycles I have had, in my opinion the Honda's
were the best built, but not the easiest to work on.

In today's culture, you need a Motorcycle that can easily
out run traffic. Not just because you don't want to be forgotten
about in the pack, but because I see more road rage than
in the last century.

People on this thread will recommend bikes that are old,
which is fine, but before you buy an old bike with a carburetor
you need to figure out what you need to feed it. If you
put in today's gas mixtures will it run well on it? I hope this
new cheaper gas will give Trump an excuse (after reelection)
to get rid of the ethanol and export more corn for food.

I have owned one bike with fuel injection, a Buell. The check
engine light stayed on on that bike. Harley hourly
prices at their dealerships are so high in my area I
lived with it. Once the Buell stranded me at a Honda
dealership. The sidestand switch failed and the bike
would not start. I never trusted that bike (with the
check engine light on) again.

Before you buy a bike, find out how you adjust the valves
and how often. Some bikes have shims, some you can
adjust yourself without shims, some even adjust themselves.
If its a dual purpose bike you should be able to adjust them
your self, but make sure.

#30 ·
Out of the bikes you've mentioned the XR would be your best bet BUT I would hate to ride that thing on the road for 2 hours at 75 mph, I'm not sure there is a great solution for you I think you will need to find a bike that works most of the time.

Have you thought of an older Vstom 650, it can go offroad (a bit) with the right tires and the "Wee" is great for commuting and good at 75.

Attachments

#32 ·
A KLR650 or DR650 would be great, and they had very few changes throughout their production run.

If I had my 'druthers, I'd do the last of the Big Red Pigs, an XR650R (the liquid cooled "R" version, not the air cooled, more street friendly "L" version). I think they quit making them in '07, but they were the king of Baja. The only downside to them would be the lack of e-start, but I think there's kits out there.

For a new bike: Probably a KTM690 Enduro, or the Husqvarna 701 Enduro (they even make a Long Range model).

#36 ·
I would hope there has been some changes in the DR650. I bought one new back in the '90s and absolutely hated it and wished I hadn't bought it. It was horribly balanced, top heavy, overweight, and absolutely gutless. I had to shift down to 3rd gear and rev the hell out of it just to get over the mountain road, and it wouldn't even do the speed limit then. It felt like a 400 lb bike with about 20-25 horsepower. It was really unstable in the dirt and I didn't even like taking it on a dirt road. And was it ever a pain to get it started.

I should have gone with the Honda. The XR is much lighter and more powerful than the XL. But even the XL would have topped that damned DR 650 beyond belief. It's the only motorcycle I've ever owned that I absolutely hated.

#34 ·
The later models of the KTM 690 Enduro (and it's identical cousin the Husky) are about the most amazing dual sport bikes out there. Big enough to be comfortable, fast as hell, light enough to be dirt-worthy, etc. They make a real world 60HP at the rear wheel. Minor mods brings the HP up even higher.

They can be ridden across the country on the interstate without drama, and are equally capable on firetrails and off road conditions. An absolute blast of a bike.

Just to put it's performance in perspective, the SuperMoto version (same bike, road wheels and tires and a slightly smaller front fender) will top 130MPH in stock form. No other single can do that. And do it well, all while getting 55 to 60 MPG.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.