Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wife Robbed & Assaulted. Kubaton to Rescue? PeterEnergy General Discussion 276 10-22-2017 02:51 PM
Krav Maga sparring: dude KO's woman KravMagoo Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 55 10-05-2017 11:34 PM
MOLLE and PALS: Whats the difference? k0diak314 General Discussion 4 02-02-2017 09:37 AM
Self Defence, martial arts, unknownprepper Health, Fitness and First Aid 20 11-15-2016 08:45 AM

Old 12-18-2017, 01:40 PM
59840 - could fix a lot

Thanked 11,475 Times in 3,088 Posts
Default Krav Maga vs Hagana -is there a difference

Advertise Here

I'm normally skeptical of anything touted as 'Israeli Commando'

there is a gym here that does 'Hagana' - the folks seem to leave drenched in sweat so if nothing else it's a good workout I guess.

Anyone know difference between the two?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wtr100 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2017, 06:12 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,040 Posts

Have not heard of it. 'Hagana' on searches reveals 'haganah' is the name of the paramilitary group which became the Israeli defence force 60 years ago. I'd say that gym has developed its own system and may be cashing in on a cool name.
The Following User Says Thank You to sixtus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2017, 11:28 PM
Don't be dumb

Thanked 13,678 Times in 4,814 Posts

Don't know of a difference but I truly enjoyed getting my ass kicked in Krav Maga class. I think it is the one martial art that truly prepares you for the brawl that is a street fight or self defense action.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Runamok For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2017, 12:19 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,299 Times in 594 Posts

I found eskrima and mma the best combo for me... the two krav gyms i attended were kind of "iffy" i was thrashing "jr instructors" like rag dolls grappling in one and completely knocked an instructor flat out on his back in about 30 sec flat multiple times in the other...at least they did full contact sparring but honestly if you can find one then a combat type of eskrima is far more effective imo. Ive competed in boxing and mma and trained in wrestling, eskrima(6 months),tkd(1 year), krav(2 months at most) and tried a few other styles and Krav just seems too theory based and more like hard contact point sparring...The knife skills dont seem ideal either from what little i practiced..maybe its diffrent from gym to gym but i was left unimpressed. I have no experience with the Hagana though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2017, 01:32 AM

Iíve done about 6 months of Haganah. Itís based on Krav, but at least at my school itís continually evolving. My instructor also offers classes in boxing, Muay Thai, combat wrestling, Israeli tactical firearm training,íand tactical knife. Haganah is a solid self defense system, but itís aimed at teaching defenses against the most common types of attacks. It is based on gross motor movements, and uses points of reference to ensure similar starting points to enter into the techniques. It does a lot of scenario based training, and once a month we would do stress inoculation training. The guy who founded Haganah was a Golani Heights veteran and had instructor rank in Krav. Our firearms training came by way of Garret Machine, a former duvdevan special forces veteran. I have dabbled in many arts, but currently most of what I train in is FMA. Haganah makes a good base system, especially if you have previous training to add to the base.

Link to founders page. http://www.haganahapex.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kinzei For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2017, 09:34 PM

Looks cool. Tried a bunch of martial arts but never krav or this one.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:38 AM
59840 - could fix a lot

Thanked 11,475 Times in 3,088 Posts

I'm going for a free session on Thursday - see how it goes - If I'm not back check the hospital
Old 12-27-2017, 09:38 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,299 Times in 594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
Looks cool. Tried a bunch of martial arts but never krav or this one.
If i could find a gym anywhere close to me Combat Sambo or the Dog Brothers style of Eskrima would be my goto styles.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:46 PM
Don't be dumb

Thanked 13,678 Times in 4,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtr100 View Post
I'm going for a free session on Thursday - see how it goes - If I'm not back check the hospital
They'll scale it to your ability/fitness/age. I would have teenagers, fit younger guys up to seniors in my classes. Everyone usually pairs up based on similar characteristics and then knows to take it easier on certain people in the group training.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,084 Times in 4,488 Posts

I went to a Krav class once. Associated with Professor Kale. I didn't really find it anything special, and didn't bother going back. My opinion is that if you want to be effective, do some wrestling or BJJ type stuff, and get into weight lifting and boxing. You mix all 3 of those things together, and you're going to be a very well-rounded and effective person. Always keep in mind though lucky punches and "there's always someone meaner".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2017, 03:02 AM
Cool dude

Thanked 1,612 Times in 513 Posts

Haganah is new to me. Is it like Kapap?
The Following User Says Thank You to Apok For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 02:00 AM

While Haganah says it uses some of the principles of Krav Maga, it is trained far differently. Some say it has changed over the years and to be honest, most of the original Haganah schools have quit being a part of the organization. I actually do teach both, but as far as Haganah is concerned, I teach only the knife vs knife and some of the scarecrow drills. The rest is Krav Maga only.

Last edited by jfountain2; 01-11-2018 at 11:52 AM..