Bug out gun safe plan? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cannon Safe Shield Series SH5526 24-Gun Safe - $599.99 + Free Shipping apps47inc For Sale 0 07-31-2016 08:22 PM
Plan the Bug Out Mission, Before Packing Your Bug Out Bag Hick Industries Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 12-25-2014 02:13 PM
Do you approve of my safe room and decontamination plan? Joe5858 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 11-02-2014 02:31 PM
my new bug out plan infntryman86 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 06-15-2012 04:40 PM
Sentry Safe GM2459C Fireproof Gun Safe - 24 Gun Cope's Distribuitng For Sale 0 02-20-2012 10:21 AM
Sentry Safe G1055E Gun Safe Holds 10 Guns Cope's Distribuitng For Sale 0 02-20-2012 10:21 AM
Bug out plan? Froyatro Skandinaviske 45 10-07-2011 05:16 PM
The Bug In Plan Westfalia Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 07-10-2011 11:32 AM
anyone own a Safe 24 Gun Safe by Cannon ranbo1213 Firearms General Discussion 0 08-24-2010 07:08 PM
Who is a Gun Safe Expert? I need a good Safe. SirChitlin Firearms General Discussion 10 05-04-2009 10:19 PM

Old 08-27-2016, 07:09 AM

Default Bug out gun safe plan?

Advertise Here

What do you plan on doing with your gun safe when/if you have to Bug out?

I'm not talking about leaving for a couple of days and then coming back, I'm talking about leaving and possibly not being able to return for years, if at all..

We keep as much as we can at our BOL but lets face it there is still a considerable amount of valuables in our home safe, things like jewelry, firearms, pictures, hard drives and records.. there is no way in a bug out situation to take all of these things. so what do you do?

My wife and I were discussing this today.. We came to two conclusions..

1. If there was no time constraint we would cut the floor out and place the safe into the crawl space and then cover the hole with a double layer of plywood and way too many wood screws..

2. Time is of the essence!! we cut the floor out from underneath the safe dropping it into the crawl space and set the house on fire..

the thought being that we might conceal it from marauders.
What are your guys' thoughts?

Last edited by Go Davy Go; 08-27-2016 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: grammar
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Go Davy Go For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2016, 07:15 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 80,486 Times in 32,268 Posts

Depending on the amount of big-out-ness -- time / distance ---- if anyone can find it --------------- empty
Old 08-27-2016, 07:21 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 42,244 Times in 9,916 Posts

I've had to bug out for a couple of hurricanes.

I have a job box (Jobox) that I load in the back of my truck with chain tie downs and padlocks for the chains. It's the wide one that's long enough for shotguns. I can't remember the exact size but it still fits in the back of my truck

All the valuables and guns go in there!

Gun safe stays in the house with the door open, just in case someone was to break in, they'd see the safe empty!

FWIW and YMMV
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricekila View Post
Depending on the amount of big-out-ness -- time / distance ---- if anyone can find it --------------- empty
The trick is making it very hard to find..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Go Davy Go For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2016, 07:33 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,082 Times in 677 Posts

If you were to set the house on fire, wouldn't that just expose the safe by all the wood that would be concealing it being burned away?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mattsn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2016, 07:40 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Davy Go View Post
The trick is making it very hard to find..
If its your average thugs -- they might not find anything ?

If its your educated urbinites they might find it ?

If its the government -- they "will" find it !

( look up Canada flood or earth quake - I forgot which -- there was an evacuation ordered -- before they let the sheeple back to their homes -- they went door to door in the name of safety -- broke in and took every firearm they could find !

The last I heard -- some if not most didn't get them back

If they're not there -----

Old 08-27-2016, 07:51 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 42,244 Times in 9,916 Posts

Not too many people steal empty gun safes!

For everything else, there's this stuff called insurance.

I'm "in good hands". You can figure out which company I'm referring to, I'm not promoting their business just throwing some advice out!

FWIW, the damage caused by those hurricanes, I made claims on my "in good hands" insurance, they paid off like clockwork and worked with me in getting the repairs made on my house.

Hurricane Ike hit and I had over 30K in damages

Checks were cut within two weeks.

Some things you don't go cheap on, do your research on insurance companies
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2016, 07:55 AM
I love this forum

Dont forget your NRA free insurance --

P/S -- you are a member -- and you do vote ?
Old 08-27-2016, 09:28 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 35,486 Times in 9,916 Posts

A friend of mine buys ammo by the crate and owns enough guns to fill a dozen gun safes. Last time I was there, he had four large safes full, and the extra guns leaning against the interior walls of an upstairs bedroom.

He may be an extreme example, but his dilemma motivated me to sell off and down size my own collection.

I can now store all my weapons and ammo in prepared cache tubes, and when I moved out of California, they all fit in a gun cabinet I bolted in the tack room of my horse trailer.

If you think you may be forced to bug out on foot (bad idea), and you own dozens of long guns, you should consider where and how to secure them. I recommend burrying enough 8" dia PVC pipes in the back yard to hide them all. Considering the cost of guns and ammo today, and their future value after a crisis, PVC pipe looks like cheap insurance.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2016, 11:41 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
my weapons
Weapons ?
Old 08-27-2016, 12:16 PM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 25,708 Times in 6,580 Posts

Quote:
What do you plan on doing with your gun safe when/if you have to Bug out?

I'm not talking about leaving for a couple of days and then coming back, I'm talking about leaving and possibly not being able to return for years, if at all..

We keep as much as we can at our BOL but lets face it there is still a considerable amount of valuables in our home safe, things like jewelry, firearms, pictures, hard drives and records.. there is no way in a bug out situation to take all of these things. so what do you do?

My wife and I were discussing this today.. We came to two conclusions..

1. If there was no time constraint we would cut the floor out and place the safe into the crawl space and then cover the hole with a double layer of plywood and way too many wood screws..

2. Time is of the essence!! we cut the floor out from underneath the safe dropping it into the crawl space and set the house on fire..

the thought being that we might conceal it from marauders.
What are your guys' thoughts?
If it's truly a bug-out situation, you won't have time to be screwing around with your gunsafe. You'll have more vital things to do.

(Remember that in any evacuation scenario, the roads load up fast. The longer you screw around before leaving, the more accidents, fender-benders, overheated vehicles, and general pandemonium you're going to encounter on the roads. Study up on what happened when people tried to evacuate before Katrina hit New Orleans...)

Its going to be different for different people because everyone's circumstances are different, but in general most people have some portable container(s) they can take with them. One poster above mentioned a job box. Many guys I know have rifle cases and pelican cases they use to transport rifles to the range or hunting camp, etc. Their plan is to load up their firearms into cases and stow the cases in a truck or trailer with pre-planned space for them.

Don't forget your ammunition. Evacuations are why many people store ammunition in ammo cans - not only because they're sturdy, stackable, and airtight, but because they're man-portable when filled.

Anything you leave behind in an evacuation may not be there when you return. A quick perusal of the news out of California, with all the fires going on and mass evacuations, reveals destroyed houses and contents and charges of looting going on in homes that survived the fires. This is about as recent and relatable as it gets - hell, the fires are still burning. People are still sitting in evacuation centers.

Ensure you can take the contents of your safe when you evacuate, and don't worry about screwing with the safe itself. Your gun safe is the least of your worries...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grotius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2016, 12:20 PM
life member

Thanked 2,144 Times in 716 Posts

empty it out if you can..lock it and place a plastic hand inside showing the your #1 sign along with a time delay IED
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to last1standing For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2016, 01:36 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 14,930 Times in 5,133 Posts

Quote:
... there is still a considerable amount of valuables in our home safe, things like jewelry, firearms, pictures, hard drives and records..
everything except guns and ammo should be in one bag to grab. All those things can't weigh more than a 12ga. If you have large external hard drives, transfer all that data to a flashdrive/memory card. I bet you could fit everything on a 64gb card and you could buy three of those for $50, then you have triple back ups.

for documents and photos, start taking pictures with your phone and transfer the to the memory cards. Take two of the three cards and put them in two different BOBs.

when you've done all this, all you need to do is grab the bag/box of jewelry in your safe.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:25 PM

Let me elaborate on Ricekilas weapons reminder. Many folks simply don't know.
In a nutshell, we don't refer to guns as weapons. I train with police and military and know old habits die hard. But please just call a gun, a gun. Lots of reasons, all perceived negative connotations. Firearm, pistol, rifle, all ok too.
Back to the safe question. Take your stuff! If it's important enough to be in the safe, it's important enough to take. If you must abandon, don't cut into your floor and burn your house. Take and then hide your stuff, bury it in pipes, whatever. And just leave the safe open.
But if you have 4 overflowing gun safes and guns stacked to the ceiling, I'm not sure what I'd do. Other than start liquidating so my kids don't have to.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HBK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2016, 03:37 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK View Post
Let me elaborate on Ricekilas weapons reminder.
Sit here on Uncle Gary's knee

Ya-ready ?

Weapon = only after its used to kill or do bodily harm
Old 08-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Been around the block

I agree with other posters, if I bug out I leave the safe door open and it is empty. I have got to the point of consolidation where everyone has a MBR and a sidearm the extras go in the trunk, or the bed lockbox or worst case are dropped in sealed pvc in the garden. Never reached that point and hope I never have to, moving all the ammo out will require some serious Advil and icing of the back
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blueline For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2016, 11:44 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,341 Times in 864 Posts

You only need so many guns (so my wife tells me!)--so pre-determine what you will take with you. As Lord Opie--we put all of the other information on SD cards--may take a stack--but generally will be better than hard drives--and a lot of info on a 64 GB card. If you have to leave on foot--this will be very limited--in our case AR 15, Mossberg 500, Ruger 10/22, and several hand guns...would be the max we could take. Even if leaving by vehicle, you will be limited.

If you have a safe cast in concrete This may be the best way. You can pour the re-inforced concrete now under the floor, and have a lid fabricated for it. This can be under another plate of steel (dirt over that). The entrance to the "safe" in concrete, does not have to be large, even for rifles. If you want to have a thru the floor access for it--so be it.

There should be some padding--and the guns need to be adequately preserved with appropriate grease. Ammo in sealed ammo boxes--also in the concrete "safe"..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thataway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 07:45 AM

Added fun for us Canadians:

While we CAN just grab our shotguns and rifles and bug out, our RESTRICTED firearms like handguns and AR15s require a permit to take anywhere.

Currently we have a permit attached to our licenses that allows transport to a gun smith, gun show, licensed range or a police officer/station.

If we want to transport our restricted firearms somewhere else then we have to call during business hours and get a permit. They CAN email it to you though.

So in a disaster where we have to bug out we are forced to make a decision, leave our property where it can be destroyed or WORSE looted (*see above post about RCMP looters) or we can take a chance and call the Chief Firearms Officer and ask for a permit (we call them an ATT Authorization To Transport) .

There is one loophole that you could exploit and that is to use your existing permit to go to a gun smith or range away from the disaster. If it's a gunsmith you know you could drop the restricteds off there for "maintenance" for a few days until the disaster passes.

If it's a range then legally you have to go straight back home after you are done at the range. You could call and get an ATT to go somewhere else such as to stay with family.

Lastly you can just take a chance you don't get caught but the jail time is pretty serious!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to netmerc For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 07:55 AM
The Lord's Servant

Thanked 2,245 Times in 831 Posts

I think you should avoid the rush and move your safe/valuables to your BOL now. Hide it and secure it so you won't have to worry about it when you're not there.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeKan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 10:49 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 14,930 Times in 5,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKan View Post
I think you should avoid the rush and move your safe/valuables to your BOL now. Hide it and secure it so you won't have to worry about it when you're not there.
but what if your BOL is the one under attack (eg. fire)?