Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
View of the world changed? MrPunem General Discussion 4 11-13-2013 01:29 AM
We've Changed. robin48 General Discussion 37 09-12-2013 11:55 AM
The Man Who Changed The World Two Months Ago Stan The Man General Discussion 15 03-12-2011 08:30 PM
How much have You changed? Gear-Head Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 25 02-16-2011 12:05 PM
10 Photographs That Changed the World swwjeff General Discussion 11 08-13-2009 04:24 PM
Mikhail Kalashnikov: The Gun that Changed the World GoodOlFroathyOne Books, Movies & Stories 1 01-18-2009 02:32 PM
Changed my BOL joebob1112003 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 05-28-2008 08:46 PM

Old 09-07-2015, 07:07 PM

Advertise Here

pretty good , great story, keep going in your own time
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2015, 07:16 PM

Very nice and different style of writing. You have my attention and applause.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:36 PM

I like this story. Thank you for sharing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2015, 01:18 PM
Hiker

Good story, am waiting patiently for the next instalment.... Excellent point of view.......
Old 09-08-2015, 10:21 PM
Prepared

Thanked 3,197 Times in 181 Posts

Great read so far, thank you and keep up the good,work.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:05 AM
Prairie sasquatch

Thanked 1,415 Times in 99 Posts

Hope you like oatmeal. I hate the stuff but enough raisins and brown sugar helps. Have it around as it doesn’t go bad real quick. Kids are up soon and have chores to do. They go to school after that. Well it aint really school but the lady use to be a teacher. And we keep all the textbooks we find out there to give to her. They get a great practical education. Doc called on the radio. He will be buy in three hours.

So these straggly looking couple came running. I was not happy. They begged for help. His wife was crying. Her baby was maybe nine month old. Just barley opening its eyes. My wife had that look.

If you were ever married dude you know that look. You are not going to win any argument. I doesn’t matter if you are right and have photographic proof. You are not going to win.
I looked at my wife with no hope to win and said no. “We have not enough food for ourselves let alone these guys.”
She said no we have to help. “The baby would die without help. Look at them. They are going to perish.” When she wants something my wife always uses fancy words. It means she really cares.
I got out of the driver seat and leaned out the car. I made sure they knew any funny stuff they were out, we were not friends, and as soon as we were out of the area they are on their own again. To fit everyone, My daughter sat on my wife's lap. I made sure everyone understood to hurry as we had made enough noise to raise the dead and someone would be buy. They keys were still in the ignition and with a tank of gas we were good to go.
I slammed the thing in dive and headed to the nearest grid road. Up ahead on the highway I saw my prediction come true. This was a tank. Big nasty and, well big. He had spotted us and was turning the turret to line us up. I swore badly as I drove. I had had enough of people trying to kill me. Then the tank exploded. I mean the thing ripped apart. The Shockwave stunned me and the wife the kids were crying and the new passengers were in hysterics. What on earth did that? The crackling roar of a jet burned in to my ears. It was a sight to see. I had no idea if it was friend or foe so I made a beeline for the grid and as far away as I could. Found out later that the air force was not onside with the plans of the idiots at the capital and many areas had blatantly disobeyed orders when things went south. But thy were still a minority in this party.

I drove for a good while putting distance between us and the roadblock. I had made great time. The grid roads were fair but some spots were just a swamp and I had to power through them. The guy in the back was trying to be lookout and spotting things suspicious but he was pointing at trees and bushes as targets. I not so politely told him if he wanted to be helpful be quiet. The next small town I wanted to connect to was coming up. I stopped just before the rise in the road and looked at the town. There was a bit of activity. Vehicles and people hurried around. All wore green. Not going there. Turned left and headed north, we would have cross the river soon. There was two ways across, ferry or bridge. The ferry had to be manned so that was out. I wouldn’t stick around to keep it going so why would the operator? Plus if we went there and the ferry was closed we would of wasted the trip.

After a while I started west again making sure to keep an eye out for the green guys. With windows down and driving slow the river approached. I know I would have to head south and with that the bridge. Whet if it had a patrol, what if it was gone? How the heck was I meant to cross it then? The river snaked across my line of sight, barrier to the safety of where I wanted to go. The car crept along now, not wanting to rev the engine or even turn the wheels too much. The paranoia was setting in a bit again. The wife was a great comfort, telling me I was doing great. It was like having a personal coach.

I could tell the sun was not as high in the sky, even behind the clouds. It was time to find shelter if we were to be comfortable. The couple suggested finding a farm or some outbuilding to stay in, someone was bound to help; I was not so sure. I made the point all the places we had encountered up to now had been occupied, or destroyed and if we wanted to stay warm and on the positive side of living we would have to be unseen.
I pointed to a thicket of trees with an old wooden grain bin in the middle. Perfect for what we needed. It would hide the car, give us shelter and somewhere to sleep. The faces of everyone in the car said otherwise.
I got the car out of sight and we all got out, stretching very tense backs and bodies. I opened the trunk, got my hatchet out. I had also spied an axe in the back, fiberglass handled thing, very modern. Gave it to the guy and said, “Well you better start paying your way, start chopping! We gonna need heat and shelter tonight. I surveyed the scene and thought to myself. “We are sleeping good tonight.”
Old 09-09-2015, 01:43 PM
Prepared

Thank you.

Enjoying this a great deal.

Dosadi
Old 09-09-2015, 10:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,956 Times in 5,332 Posts

Lovely story! Just lovely!
Old 09-11-2015, 01:27 AM
Prairie sasquatch

Sorry doc is a little delayed will be round soon. He wants to meet you. Guess there was an accident at the Peterson farm. Nothing bad but he wants to be sure all is ok.

Anyway I took a good look around the little area I had found. Was 300 yards long and maybe 50 yards wide. The old grain shed was at one end and looking at the big evergreens and all the rusting refuse I guessed it to be an old homestead. I got the new guy to start cutting branches down off the evergreen. "Make sure you only take from the inside. We don't need to be spotted."
Took the trusty 22 with me and began to walk the length of the thicket. All the while the ladies were feeding the kids some ready made food and the last of the juice boxes. With is still being spring there was a mound of snow protected from sun and wind . That would give water. There was a jumble of old farm equipment all around, broken and rusty, along with bricks and other unidentifiable stuff. Definitely found the old house foundation. There was movement to my left and I froze. And nearly pooped myself. Thought I had been found by a soldier. I was found, by a skinny jackrabbit.
I knew we had food in the packs but when would we see meat again? Slowly I shouldered the rifle and in one pull I had gotten my first wild food.
Now I will tell you I have cooked forever. But skinning that thing and taking the guts out made me dry heave for quite a while. The feel of the warm innards on my hands was nasty. But I got it done, after a while...
Returning to the car the kids were happily investigating the new baby and the guys wife was happy and showing off the little one to them. I presented my prize catch. I was met with nasty faces. I explained the situation. No one offered to eat it. Guess I was dining alone.
Taking a look at the grain shed itself took little time. The shingles were all gone the roof trusses could maybe hold a feather without collapsing, the walls were sturdy. the floor was wet and nasty. Job one was to make it habitable.
We got it done but it took some doing. All those pine boughs the guy cut? They went across the top of the walls, making a makeshift roof. With five or six, I cannot remember now, we had a really good roof. And the ends of the branches bent down, so it kinda made the area a bit more snug, it actually felt warmer in there. Good thing as the temperature was starting to fall and our breath could be seen. Next was the floor.
Lots of pine branches went on there. Made the ladies cut off the main trunk and all the little branches went in to make a 'nest' of sorts' In the shape of a 'C' with the opening facing the door. One drop sheet on it followed by a blanket made it feel quite homey.
I wanted fire as we would be very uncomfortable if we went without heat all night and the new born the couple had would be in trouble.
Now this is where my inventiveness comes in. There was an old grain auger that was in half and rusty I had spied, the screw in it long gone. Got it the wrong way up with the bottom catcher facing down and it looked kinda like a fire place and chimney ready to go, (even if the 'chimney shot out at a 45 degree angle). For a hearth the old bricks did just fine. Twelve bricks later and some paracord later I thought this thing might actually work. I had the end sticking out the top of the branches. They were green enough I was not worried about fires. Kindling was everywhere but bigger stuff was wet. Finding enough dry wood was a challenge but we got it done and stacked nicely away from the fire.
I had to be the smart one and try flint and steel, and ten second in my wife again gave the look. You know the one. The one that says “Go get the lighter stupid.”. I manly slinked away and got the lighter and started the kindling. The fire sparked in to life and
I added some fatwood from the middle of the branches the wives were cutting earlier. Putting them on top they slowly caught the flame and I was happy. And with a final gentle 'woosh' the makeshift chimney warmed up and began to draw air. Smoke went up in to the sky and I had a peek as to how visible it was. Not too bad and with the fading light would not be seen at all. Plus once there was a good fire going the smoke would be minimal at best.

We all got as comfortable as possible and began to unwind. I brought out the little radio I had and asked someone to try and find a station, nothing at all. Had a few glimmers of U.S. stations but nothing of any worth. The old mess tin I had came out and in went a can of ravioli and tomato sauce. Fine dining at its best!!
I went and got some snow for tea just before the light died. Next to the bank was an old metal bucket, still good and watertight. Filled that thing up and brought it back. Told everyone that we are all having a wash in the morning to feel better.
Now at this point I would like to mention that I was under the assumption that these people I was travelling with would if started to trust my judgement. Nope! They all laughed and said I was crazy and a cold wash was out. I had to remind them they needed a little faith..

Fire is going, pasta for the kids is warming up on the fire, (which by the way because of careful stoking by me was now pumping out good heat.), tea on the esbit is going strong. Adults need to eat. The rabbit I shot was now looking a bit better to all. I found a flat rock and cleaned it well, stuck it next to the fire, and in no time I had quartered bunny slowly roasting next to the open fire.
“So who on earth are you two?” I finally asked the couple that had latched on. I hadn’t forgot about dumping them off as soon as I could but they were honest enough so far and out of anyone they could be trusted more than most right now.
He was pre med, was doing the practicum when all went south. Found out he was a tech geek and was out of his depth in the woods let alone this. She was a mum foremost first but professionally was an accountant.
The med talk made my ears prick up. So how far to becoming a doctor I asked. He told me it was a year away and that was now done for. I think that is when I first called him Doc. Made him feel good and really, he knew the stuff we needed right now. We could find books for the later stuff.
Asked him if he brought anything with him. He had a suture kit and some penicillin nothing else. I could of kissed him then. Injury was big in the back of my head and he had just stopped that worry in it's track.
Sure I can handle minor stuff, but now I had someone for the big things. He never left my side after that. I promised him in exchange for keeping us healthy I would teach him about the big bad woods.
My first lesson was the fatwood since since it was here. Told him of the resin in the heartwood of the plant. And you could make a torch out of a stick with a feathered end. We made one each and lit both. These could burn for over an hour if needed. And that the resin weeping off the tree makes a good cover for minor scrapes. He didn't know that one. I just upped one on the Doc!
Within a little while of turning and moving the pieces, the rabbit was done. It was tough and stringy. I must of got the oldest bunny in the clan! With that we all chowed down, and told our back stories. I once said we had to keep our voices down so no one could hear us, but in reality we were all alone in the world then. I went for a last tour to make sure all was well. Nothing was out there. It almost seemed the problems were gone. But the lack of glow from the city showed me it was all to real.
I headed back to the door and covered it over with branches to keep the cold out and the light in. We al settled in for a long night. We would stay up in pairs. Me and the guys wife and him and my wife, at least them if they did have bad motives I would have some warning.
With a few more chunks on the fire we but the little ones to bed, the baby getting the usual drink from mummy before agreat big burp that made us all chuckle. The diaper change made me gag!!! I swore the baby was eating rancid frogs or something. With coats now off and all comfortable. Me and the Doc's wife sat tending the fire while all else slept. Long night yes. Better night? For sure
Old 09-11-2015, 12:44 PM
Prairie sasquatch

Wow sorry about the spelling on the last one. The wife was sleeping and I was typing in the dark....!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saskatchewan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2015, 01:02 PM
Prepared

Thank you

Dosadi
Old 09-11-2015, 01:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 18,662 Times in 3,599 Posts

Thanks for the new page, keep up the good work
Old 09-11-2015, 05:16 PM
Be Prepared

Please keep it going. Excellent so far.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:34 PM
Prairie sasquatch

Wow the cold has set in this morning. I am warning you now. The two hole is very cold. I am not going to get the feeling back in my rear for quite some time.

The night was slow. Sleep didn't come very well, but I did get a moment or two of shuteye. Did a fair bit of talking to Doc's wife. They had been married four years and had a condo by the university. When all hit, she was terrified as Doc was at work. He was mostly at work for the last year, only coming home for the days off and not even then.
She had raced over to the hospital to see Doc, but when she got there the wounded were already there and chaos was everywhere. The floors were covered in blood, bandages, stained clothing and the dead. When they finally met up they went in to a side room for a second, and that is what saved their lives. You see a transport rolled in and soldiers jumped out, forced their way in and started shooting the protesters. When the lead in the emergency room tried to stop it he was cut down. That is when they decided to get out. They made sure they planned well and left the next day.
They tumbled in the car and raced out of town, but a roadblock was made just outside of town. While they were waiting something happened. She was not to sure what, but people were thrown in the ditch and shot. They were going car to car. No one was safe. They ran in to the trees and prayed for what seemed forever, and just when they decided to move they saw us. That is where our stories converged.

I told her my story, thought it boring actually. But she seemed interested. When it was our turn to keep watch we talked about what the plans were. I finally gave in and said we had to stick together to keep safe. Honestly I looked at their little baby and knew I had to keep the little one safe. Babies are innocent, they are the future and we needed a good one.
My wife and Doc talked about the same things and by morning we were all tired but rested and wanting to move on. I told people we needed to wash though. I was feeling nasty and I was guessing everyone else was too. So I stoked the fire and got it going again. Stacked a few bricks ither side of the fire and put the bucket on top. We were going to wash the way we did in WW2. Mum lived in London and when the water went out, they had to improvise, so I took a leaf out of her book.
“Everyone naked!” I told them. They all looked at me like I was crazy. “ We have one bucket and we have limited time so lets go!”
The way to wash was to squat and pour the water over your body, soap everywhere and then rinse. Quick and clean. I had a small bottle of liquid soap and placed it next to the bucket.
We were all naked and it was weird four naked adults looking like kids who had never seen a body before. It took no time and we were all back in our clothes. I felt so much better. The kids were not so appreciative. With a few protests from my kids and one upset baby later we were ready for the day.
We had decided to skip breakfast and give the kids a full stomach, but tea was still on the menu so we at least were warm. That was a good thing as the frost was on the ground and the chill in the morning air knocked my breath away; it would warm up soon enough though.

I had to kill the fire and remove signs of our occupation. That took no time, and then had to scout the area for the bad guys. I was cursing the fact I had no binoculars. I needed to find a pair and soon. Nothing looked out of place so we all got back in the SUV and headed out. Still looking at every intersection and atop every crest of every hill. We finally were able to spot the bridge, and it was blocked by overturned cars and barbed wire. There was a second bridge there as well! I had totally forgotten about that! It was disused and falling apart. They had built the new bridge and walked away from the old one, hopefully giving me a break as there was nothing blocking it. I am guessing they thought no one would try to cross the thing.
As we got closer I cut the engine and sat down on the hill overlooking the river. I scanned the horizon for quite a while looking for any movement or life. This was just too quiet. After a while the group came out the car and we began to talk. We came to the idea there was no one guarding the bridge because of the same problem Napoleon and Hitler had when invading Russia, too much land and not enough people. You can't be everywhere at all times.
We had to move fast as someone was bound to come by. We had to abandon the car, it would be too risky to cross in that and if the bridge failed we would all drown. Even loosing one person was too much so we were back on foot again. We would look for transport on the other side.
I picked through the car, looking for anything of value. Road flares, jumper cables and the CB radio. Doc and his wife took that, and we began the crossing.
We kept low and hugged the one side of the bridge looking for any movement. The bridge was cracked and holes had been punched in it from some sort of explosions. I was guessing shells. Good thing we didn't take the SUV as it would of gone through for sure. We were making good progress across when at the two thirds mark we had three men facing us all with very large rifles. We stopped and stared at each other. Were we in deep? I called out that we were friendly and just passing through. The men talked among themselves. They said nothing back. I asked if we could come forward. All their guns pointed at us and they waved us forward. One if them called out “slowly and we will fire if anybody makes any sudden moves.”

We all walked forward kids holding my hands tight..
Old 09-14-2015, 01:03 AM
Prepared

And to think that there are so many dissing the refugees from Syria? Being a refugee means so much and I hope you do continue your story. It is actually really cool to see a Canadian perspective. Thank you for writing this story.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:36 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,297 Times in 751 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskatchewan View Post
The tent my wife wanted and the tent I chose were two different things. So we got her one. It held 8 people, an elephant, and the starting lineup for the Flames. Yup big and weighed 300 lbs.

Loved this description!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annaraven For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 11:43 PM
Prairie sasquatch

Wow what a gorgeous sunrise. Don't see too many like that these days. Maybe I don't have time to look at them. Maybe I have gone cold to the things that use to matter...

The guys I told you about. They were very much no nonsense. As we came within thirty feet they told us to stop. Then came the fifty questions. Where we from, where we going, what we had seen.
I told them the story up to the point we are now. They were not surprised. The exodus that had came by the area the first day stopped, and by the second bodies were floating down the river. They saw the gun I had procured from one of the soldiers and they became instantly wary. Another round of questions came. Where you get the gun, are you army, are you a deserter.... It took some convincing, and the kids helped in the effort, but they finally came round to the group being harmless.
They began to sell me the story from their perspective. When all hit the army tried to be the mighty arm of all controlling. The amount of land to cover just didn't let them do that though and soon enough, farmers, hunters and locals were picking them off like crazy. The patrols they had were only four men, that is all they could afford, and many plain went missing.
When they said that all the guys laughed a little. I needed no translation. So the new plan was to take over the main centers plus strong points at strategic locations. The rest could just kill each other. Or that is what they thought. Whet really ended up happening was areas started protecting the people within. Almost like tribes. From what I could gather there were five or six 'tribes' in the area, and help could be sent to those who needed it from one 'tribe' to another. Farmers in rural areas were more vulnerable, but the army didn't bother them as it stretched the ability to function properly.
The biggest worry was the wandering groups. These groups were quick to form and had already attacked the area, killing a farmer and taking everything they could. We talked a bit more and they finally allowed us off the bridge. As we climbed up the hill we talked some more about what happened in the city. The guys had guessed it was bad but not that bad. One of them finally said "Well since you know where you going and do have a plan I think you are ok".
I nervously laughed and said thanks, for we had all been on our toes for days now and it felt good to be in a more secure area. Talk drifted to what out former lives were and what we thought we were going to do. When they got to Doc and asked him what he did, the faces lit up. You have to come with us!!
Doc panicked and stood still, face frozen. The guyslooked at him and laughed, "we aint going to kill ya! We need you, we have wounded."
Our pace quickened and the kids began to sound out their displeasure for the speed, so I carried the boy and the wife carried the girl.
At the top of the hill were three ATV's and we all got on board and rode on the main highway for just a brief while before entering the village. Doc was quickly ushered in to the medi center with me in tow. The wife and Docs wife went in to the smallest hotel I had ever seen with promises to both me and them of saftey. I remember the feeling of apprehension but the amount of barbed wire around the village and people with guns made me a little relaxed.
Going in the medi center made me throw up. There werr three people and the injuries were bad. Mostly stupid ones. Some guy tried to set leg traps out and promptly stepped in one. His lower leg looked like a bear had chewed it for hours. Another was a bad burn from trying to start a fire while wearing his gas soaked shop clothes. The third was a puncture wound, nothing too serious but bad enough.
Doc went right in to what I call now 'hospital mode'.
You don't argue with Doc when he gets like that. He knows what he is doing and god help ya if you get in his way. But he has saved many people so I call it even.
He asked if anyone had any medical training and one lady in there was a nurse. He got her to start doing stuff, the word he used were nonsense to me but he flew. In no time things were happening. He did tell they guys the leg trap guy would have to have his leg amputeted. They pleaded with him for a better answer. He wouldn't give it to them. 'Just too much damage" He kept telling them.
After about an hour I peeked in and told Doc I would look in on the girls. He thanked me and told me to relay the goings on.
Walking to the hotel things were cold and quiet. Eyes were all on me from many people, all with the wonder of who is the stranger. Made me very uncomfortable, like they were peering in to my soul. My footsteps got quicker to make the hotel door in good time, and upon opening the warmth of years gone by hit me like a soft blanket.
The wood paneled walls held mounted birds, trophies of hunts from years ago. Moose antlers bigger than a car hung over the door. A pot bellied stove pumped out heat that warmed the soul. And over twenty people looked at me with, once again with the soul peering stare.
I said hello to all and found the girls. Kids eating snacks and drinking juice, baby getting a drink as well, and guessing from the residual stink, I missed the diaper change. I hugged my wife and introduced myself. One of the men in the room asked me to tell what happened. I politely asked for a beer, as my throat was very dry. A loose laugh went across the room, and in quick time a beer was placed in front of me.
The repeat of the story went round with, it felt like, thousands of questions. I answered all of them and some I think were never asked. I made sure everyone knew what we had gone through.
I then asked if there was anyplace with food, as we had not had a good home meal in days. They said they had the food but without power nothing could be cooked. Sure they could use a BBQ but after so many days burgers and hot dogs don't cut it. They had the kitchen in the hotel, but it was propane and no one knew how to use the equipment.
Oh did I smile, I promised hot food for all and pancakes for dessert. I know a kitchen inside out!!! The faces all lit up.
Then the call came in. Group of five coming in. Heavily armed.....
Old 09-18-2015, 12:23 PM
Prepared

Thanks, maybe it's the seal boys?

Enjoying it immensely.

Dosadi
Old 09-18-2015, 02:37 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,245 Times in 453 Posts

Tagging in, very well written with a nice flow.
The Following User Says Thank You to cavsgt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2015, 08:31 PM

I'm liking this story