Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hitch Basket? LongIsland Vehicles & Transportation 66 05-26-2015 12:04 PM
Market basket CEO issues proves razor thin inventory ACJB12 General Discussion 14 07-24-2014 02:50 PM
Don't put all your eggs in one basket. SamboRoberts Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 25 02-16-2014 05:57 AM
Is that a picnic basket Boo Boo?? RandiTS General Discussion 29 10-03-2013 07:59 PM
Political Stock Market Trader Tries To Manipulate Market blackkitty Political News and Discussion 3 11-05-2012 06:09 PM
Don't Put ALL Your Eggs In One Basket Akita Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 12-29-2011 04:06 PM
All your eggs in one basket? purecaffeine Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 39 10-30-2011 08:51 PM
Make a basket from newspaper Purdy Bear Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 1 06-20-2009 01:31 PM
Catching minnows in wire basket - Keep Alive Tips Nomad Boating and Fishing 7 05-30-2009 01:36 AM
Basket weaving Thedragon Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 3 09-11-2008 12:33 AM

Old 09-17-2014, 05:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,074 Times in 1,905 Posts
Default Market Basket, alive and well?

Advertise Here

So finally the chaos has subsided. I used MB as a prepping store. Catch the right sale and save a small fortune. Then they started that 4% back crap. I don't know how many items went up in price but of the probably 200 or so items I ordinarily buy, a significant amount went up in price, meats especially. Now that the "strike", for lack of a better term, is over, prices are going up yet again. Hannaford's, which I never went to on a regular basis, is now a must stop before I go to MB. Lately, I'm buying most of my meat from Hannaford, especially the marked downs. Anybody know of other alternatives?
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014, 12:02 PM

I just start prepping so I might not be the best source of information. But I have a Hannafords, Walmart, BJ's, and Market Basket all within 10 minutes. I did notice this week when I picked up some meat that the price was considerably more expensive then it used to be. I almost always check Hannafords first before going else where for anything.

I'm currently looking for a farm that sells meat directly. Still needs more research but I wonder if getting it directly from a source would be better. http://www.eatwild.com/products/newhampshire.html

I don't think this will end up being cheaper. At least you'd know where your meat is coming from.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:20 PM
Cat Herder

Not sure where in the Six-O-Three you hail from, but I make McKinnon's Market a big part of my Shopping and Prepping endeavors. I found that even well before the MB business was in full swing that their prices were creeping up - especially Meats and especially, especially Beef. I just bought +30lbs of Pork Loin at $1.88 from McKinnon's (not that it's a GREAT price, but lower than I've seen in a good while). Some for roasts & chops for the freezer, some for canning, and some for my own Rashers. A couple of Months ago they had whole Sirloin Tops at a ridiculously low price as well.

Their meats are of the quality you USED to get at MB.

HTH
The Following User Says Thank You to TheManComesAround For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2014, 01:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,071 Times in 4,568 Posts

I haven't been there since they reopened. If you think their prices are higher just take a walk into Shaw's.
I was very skeptical when MB started that 4% shtick and I really didn't notice much savings. Like every other store the package size goes down and the price goes up. They
have a business to run and margins to meet.
I'll probably hit MB this weekend. I go to the one in Milford usually. I generally like shopping there, and they usually beat WM on grocery prices and quality IMHO.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Survivor

I took a look at McKinnon's. Unfortunately, it's a 75 mile drive. That's not to say I won't go there, my sister lives in Pelham. There were 7 items in the flyer that I would buy quantity of. Other prices were so-so compared to MB.
Shaw's at one time was competitive. Additionally, once a year they had a canned goods sale. I spent much money during. Enough to last the year. Saved over 50%. Then they started with that card thing. Rumor had it there were bargains to be found. MEH
Old 01-12-2015, 02:53 AM
Survivor

Apparently I love my sister more than I thought. I've been to McKinnon's at least a dozen times now. You have to move slow when looking. There are bargains to be found.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:46 PM

Steve Marshall, Et al,

The Market Basket problems ,which have absolutely nothing to do with a "strike" and was simply a fight amongst the 7 owners of the corporation. The people who own a corporation are the people who own the stocks of said corporation.
The difficulties came as the result of a law suit as ownership was divided amonst the 7 ; 3 wanted to do stuff this way ,with "man A " at the helm and the other 49 % of ownership wanted "Man B ' at the helm. in the end " Man B" bought "man A" for $1.5 billion dollars. So now ,a small chain of approx. 70 supermarkets ,with not a single one having a mortgage , would now be controlled solely by man B : AKA Arthur T. Demoulas. His cousin ,Arthur S Demoulas took the $1.5 billion and divided it amongst the stock holders He "controlled"

Now ,to your point: there was no 4% back at purchase. The sale, put in place by Arthur T ,when he was "still the man " was something he instituted. It was simply a sale on everything [excluding the normal things;booze ,butts etc anything the government had a hand in ]
When you bought anything , they would tally up your bill at the register , total it without the B&B$ and deduct 4% from the bill.no money back, no coupons, nothing . end of story The only thing that was accurate in your post was the point about there being a supermarket named "Market Basket " If you want to know why there are some stores called "Demoulas" and some named Market Basket ,just ask . I was there . I knew "The Boss, AKA T.A. as in Telemachus Arturo Demoulas ,AKA mike. I knew his son Arthur [his nick name is "the falcon :he didn't know it ,,only insiders ] and had interactions with both " the boss" and the man on the ground ,who was running things on a day to day basis ,more often as T.A. became older and near the very end ,weaker . Eventually dying in 2003.

The year long sale on everything ended at the end of 2014 and MOST price increase you see now, on a weekly basis are the result of the Beef market and produce market in the entire United States going nuts ,in a vain attempt to feed the masses of people both here and abroad. There are so many people now on earth that it has become impossible to feed them all. It has gotten to the point now where they can't all eat at once. kinda like the old chicken farmer who drove all his chickens to market each week .He had a truck which would hold 3000 pounds of chickens and he had 5000 pounds of chickens to transport.So every 2-3 miles ,you'd see him stop along the side of the road ,get out and beat the side of the truck with a baseball bat. a state trooper saw him and eventually could hold it no longer, pulling him over to ask him "what the hell are you doing? "
"I gotta move 5000 pounds of chickens in this truck which only holds 3000 pounds so I gotta keep 2000 pounds in the air all the time .

That ,my dear survivalist ,is how bad it is getting out there in the real world of trying to feed all the people. At some point ,some say soon, some say later ,it will come to a head ,whenever it does ,that is when you will see a complete breakdown in the American way of life .same thing is already happening today ,even last week ,out on the west coast of America with water rationing... whenever that day arrives ,those who are prepared and have proper housing with sufficient heat to get through any winter weather they might encounter ,along with enough clean water and food stores will last. If you ain't ready when the music stops ,there won't be just one less chair .When it hits, if we had 12 chairs before ,the day it hits there will be 3-4 chairs left in the game of musical food.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:42 AM

The beef at M.B. has almost always been choice which is a bit below prime. when you see 'select" then at least at M.B this means it will eat good but taste like cardboard .it is not steve miamius fault ,the head meet buyer ..he is just doing what he can to keep the prices down .if he didn't buy some select then their are many families that would only eat beef once in a while , his efforts are for a good reason and not to benefit MB .. then you have hannafords which always has very good tasting beef. if you want the best tasting /eating beef then go to an A,G store ..associated grocers ,,, yu'll know you are in one when you see the canned veggies are mostly shur fine .. that is the easiet way to figre that out . I know the head meat buyer . he is a personal friend and if i get married again he will be the best man .. they have the very best beef.. try a London broil [forequarter bonless shoulder ] noy to be confused with hannafordss rip off of selling top round steak as london broil .. you see ,london broil is not a cuyt of meat but a wya of serving it . you could use a chck if you nted to but it would eaat like rubber with lots of flavor .. all the forequarter meat tatse great but is tougher ,, the real london broil always comes from the front shoulder of the animal .. it is great when marinated overnight and done on the grill. i alsoput mine in the rfreezer for at least one hour ahead of time so i can serve it "chicago styl' burnt aroujnd the outside edges and still red or rare in the middle ./.. if you want to save money then always learn what you are doing and when something comes on sale buy lots of it and freeze it .so if london broil is on sale ,buy enough to have iyt once a week for 2-3 months .. then next week if lamb is on sla e for a really good price you buy your lamb ..but lamb is the old lobster a very expensive treat and only when on a really good sale .thatis how you buy meat ..even chicken ..if you like bone in chix breat on the grill [which is always the tastiest - bone in anything ] then buy lots and break it up into the serving sizes you need ' that is how you will save the most money when buyikng your meat ,,,,always !
Old 09-11-2015, 08:30 PM
Survivor

Rubinstein's pink salmon @ $1.99 a can. Outstanding protein at less than tuna prices. Market Basket
Old 09-11-2015, 08:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,071 Times in 4,568 Posts

Still go there but shopping has taught me several things over the years.

Bargains are out there.
Some stores are typically higher than others for the same item.
Meats are going down in quality across the board.
Coupons are always for an item or brand we don't use.
I don't have the time or inclination to go after every last cent of potential savings so I try to save gas at least by combining trips to the stores.

I haven't tried Aldis yet but that's next.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:45 AM
Survivor

240, where do you grocery shop then?