A few thoughts about Survival and anyone else can add their thoughts also - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts of my wilderness survival kit. emil0509 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 8 04-06-2013 08:02 PM
Thoughts on northwest survival? Brewerin Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 07-26-2011 09:01 AM
Thoughts on northwest survival? Brewerin Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 07-20-2011 12:59 PM
updated thoughts: Migration of the masses: Realistic thoughts of PSHTF ??? Castlemom Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 69 05-24-2011 06:44 PM
My survival kit...Your thoughts??? survivalworld Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 03-01-2011 12:42 PM
Survival thoughts and ideas HaroldWayneHamlin Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 09-04-2009 10:23 PM
Thoughts on Rifle for Urban survival tlaloc Urban Survival 134 07-18-2009 02:46 PM
Thoughts on Disaster Survival - Part Two Thedishdoc Urban Survival 9 11-03-2008 06:22 PM
New Thoughts On Earthquake Survival DenverDuck Urban Survival 9 09-05-2008 04:31 AM
Thoughts on a good survival firearm kev Firearms General Discussion 26 12-23-2007 12:10 PM

Old 03-31-2013, 01:03 PM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 25,708 Times in 6,580 Posts

Advertise Here

Sorry to hear about your father, Mtnman Mike. Prayers for a speedy recovery for him.

Peace to your family on this Easter.

G.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grotius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2013, 01:36 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,169 Times in 1,098 Posts

Great post, not much one can add. I would like to comment on this statement, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
Anyway, I get angry when I hear people look down on the "poor" or country hicks....
"Poor" is an attitude, not a condition. If your Grand parents are like mine were, they never had money to speak of; they were never poor, though. MM, you are proof that you can go a long way w/o a ton of money. Someone whose is "poor" wouldn't make it half as far as you have.

It's a great object lesson for not only the aspiring prepper, but for life in general.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to gallard For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2013, 02:39 PM
Pioneer Woman

Thanked 1,067 Times in 358 Posts

Quote:
...my spring water is not polluted except by midsummer there can be algae and many insects etc. in the water.

Sometimes after being around a lot of people, like at a party, I wonder if there is something wrong with me. Or likely I was just born in the wrong century?
Since most algae is edible and highly nutritious, why not look into it as a food source--maybe get it tested? When I read your post, all I kept thinking about was watching myself skimming the algae off the top with a framed screen, drying it in the sun and then dry store it.

And about being born in the wrong century--
Oh yeah! I often question myself about this too. I observe other people and wonder why I can't relate to all the things in their lives that they get so excited about. I feel so out of place and have nothing in common with them, so parties are just a waste of time for me. I'd much rather be researching if I could eat the algae in that summer pond, or fixing something, or making something.

And about your dad:
You're a comfort to your dad by just being by his side. Keep being the source of courage & determination he needs to have around him in order for him to build up his own courage & determination to get through it.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PeachesOneShot For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 08:29 PM
Homesteader

Thanked 6,026 Times in 2,680 Posts

Mike I am very sorry to hear your dad is ailing. My heartfelt wishes for a full recovery and I am sure everyone on the forum echoes this thought.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2013, 08:42 PM
Homesteader

Originally Posted by PeachesOneShot

And about being born in the wrong century--
Oh yeah! I often question myself about this too. I observe other people and wonder why I can't relate to all the things in their lives that they get so excited about. I feel so out of place and have nothing in common with them, so parties are just a waste of time for me.

Now I know there are at least 3 of us.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2013, 06:01 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,849 Times in 1,038 Posts

Sorry about your Dad, I hope he pulls out of it, my Dad did a couple of times and we got an extra 3 yrs with him.

I am one of those city folk scurrying from place to place, but I do it out of necessity, I have a large extended family counting on me for many things and being the patriarch is not something I can readily do from the BOL, however all of the city life has allowed me to afford a BOL with acreage and a homestead with enough room for the entire family.
I don't do gyms, or any of the other city trappings as I am country boy at heart, I still fix my cars myself, still cut my own lawn and do any repairs necessary on my house, and of course most weekends are spent working at the BOL, putting in the garden, working on the house, installing the off grid power system etc.

So don't frown on all of us city folk, some of us don't belong here
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fullofit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Homesteader

Originally Posted by fullofit

I am one of those city folk scurrying from place to place, but I do it out of necessity, I have a large extended family counting on me for many things and being the patriarch is not something I can readily do from the BOL, however all of the city life has allowed me to afford a BOL with acreage and a homestead with enough room for the entire family.
I don't do gyms, or any of the other city trappings as I am country boy at heart, I still fix my cars myself, still cut my own lawn and do any repairs necessary on my house, and of course most weekends are spent working at the BOL, putting in the garden, working on the house, installing the off grid power system etc.

You know the real tragedy of this is that the cities don't have to be the way they are. They could be centers of beauty, culture, health care, education, art, music, cuisine, places that create progress instead of fear. Just this morning on Yahoo I read of hundreds of teenagers rioting and bullying pedestrians, stealing on the Magnificent Mile in Chicago. Just what is wrong with us that we continue to allow those things to happen? Doesn't anybody kick their butts? Show them that this kind of behavior results in punishment. Put these people to work at something productive and prideful. Shucks I could use a few hundred of them on the farm, At the end of the day, they'd have no urge to cause trouble. They'd be looking forward to a few hours of peace and quiet and a warm shower.

I've been to both NYC and Chicago in the last couple of years after about a 35 year hiatus. I couldn't believe what I saw. Get away from the business districts and it looks like a war zone. I haven't been back to Detroit but by the pictures I see it is even worse. I am actually afraid of these places. What a shame!

MMM, sorry about the diversion but you brought up the 'city subject'. but you are absolutely right, some of them I regard as uninhabitable!

Still thinking about your dad. Keep us informed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,755 Times in 2,192 Posts

Mike, sorry to hear about your Dad's illness. I hope he gets well soon. On your post I have to say this, while I admire your self-suffciency and spartan life style I can tell you that that lifestyle is not for me. BO to a remote wildeness location will be my last option..I enjoy city life and all it has to offer to just forsake it. Yes, it has its drawbacks, but IMHO the good outweights the bad, at least so far. Me and my wife work hard, but we also take the time to enjoy life, we travel to europe and our beachhouse in mexico every year, we enjoy the theater, movies, dining out, etc..none of these can be found in the remote wilderness. I am not the best prepper in the world but not the worst either but as I said before a mountain hideout would be my last choice
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manisonenmi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 24,375 Times in 4,925 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofit View Post
Sorry about your Dad, I hope he pulls out of it, my Dad did a couple of times and we got an extra 3 yrs with him.

Wow, lots to respond to, so little time.

I finally did go back to work at the seasonal corn research job but it might be only have the time as last year, which I worked 3 months the spring of 2012 with lots of overtime.

And to those who think I don't like or frown on city slickers, I mean folk I try to not dislike people. But I must dislike the city Life style! It is not for me or few whom I know. I could give at least 10 reasons to not like cities for every "good" reason.

Maybe someone will make a thread about city vs. wilderness lifestyle? Not me since I think this Might be my last thread until next winter anyway.

And thanks for all who are concerned about my 80 year old Dad. He is strong but not nearly as strong as he was many years ago. He has done hard jobs such as working on the kill floor of a beef plant, then as an engineer/maintenance with the beef coolers. Then running a roller for the highway dep't plus a few other not too easy jobs.

But he is out of the hospital and in a nursing home, which I spent Easter weekend with him and driving my 81 year old Mom who is on oxygen, back and forth to see my Dad.

He likely will make it and live for who knows how long? He did have back surgery a month ago and has to wear a back brace which he hates. And just Hope he will be real well by early May. Maybe even able to mow his lawn if he feels like it, although I do that plus many other things when I am around, mainly from late Oct. to mid June.

well all for now....
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 6,265 Times in 2,189 Posts

We buried my Father in 1989 Mike. I know how that feels. You and people like you will always be welcome here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biathlon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2013, 10:26 PM

As a beginner in this field, I want to say a heartfelt THANK YOU for the realistic and honest point of views.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DRagon556 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2013, 11:06 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 9,020 Times in 3,649 Posts

Quote:
Maybe someone will make a thread about city vs. wilderness lifestyle? Not me since I think this Might be my last thread until next winter anyway.
How about an simple example of city life v. country life?

You know those "lost cat" and "lost dog" signs you see in the city?

Well this morning I drove out of the forest onto the main road and there is a little hobby farm there are the summit of the mtn. A sign next to the pasture said "lost cow".

Came home tonight. The wayward cow was back in the pasture and the sign was down. Probably broke the fence and wandered off into the woods. Cattle are stupid that way.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Heretic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 AM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 6,497 Times in 2,824 Posts
Thumbs up What a great inspiration MMM is to all.

Great thread MMM.....It is people like you that open up and tell about their life that makes our forum so great...You are a great inspiration to all....I hope a school teacher nearby you can read your threads and perhaps have you lecture a class of kids perhaps in sociology class.....It would be a great benefit for the young just to hear your ideas about needing very little to live..
May you be blessed with the very best of luck and health in life...
Thanks for sharing your life...
joes
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2013, 12:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,336 Times in 5,784 Posts

I will pray for you and your family.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2013, 01:35 AM

I hope and pray your father is doing better.

Yeah,I admit after seeing some of your early posts/pics I thought that you were a little cheap/crude.

Now,having been around awhile and done the same things,I see you're being frugal and resourceful,same as me. Doing what you can with what you have. I commend you for that.

Not only that but what you've done for so many here and that is to show them that it can be done and give them inspiration,which is what so many need, in this day and age.

If they could just pry themselves away from "Bear Grylls and Doomsday Preppers" for a few minutes a week we could accomplish the impossible!

Wouldn't mind coming to see you sometime.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Magilla For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2013, 11:50 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magilla View Post
I hope and pray your father is doing better.

Yeah,I admit after seeing some of your early posts/pics I thought that you were a little cheap/crude.

Now,having been around awhile and done the same things,I see you're being frugal and resourceful,same as me. Doing what you can with what you have. I commend you for that.

Not only that but what you've done for so many here and that is to show them that it can be done and give them inspiration,which is what so many need, in this day and age.

If they could just pry themselves away from "Bear Grylls and Doomsday Preppers" for a few minutes a week we could accomplish the impossible!

Wouldn't mind coming to see you sometime.
And I would like to see you and anyone else you would bring up to my mtn place / retreat or Mountain Hold as Watch Ryder calls it.

Just email or message me to tell me you are coming up since I would hate to shoot a friend. Actually I don't shoot too quickly and likely not at all if a SHTF has not happened.

I also have never watched Bear Gryllis or most of the other tv "experts." I have seen "Bears" pic and name on some stuff at Wal-mart which I would never buy.
I watched too much tv when younger in the seventies and eighties but finally I got tired of tv and wanted to get out and DO survival and many other adventurous things. And since I have owned my mtn retreat / BOL / vacation spot I don't have too much time to waste with tv or many other things.

I am usually only on the internet from Nov. to June when I am in the city = Greeley, CO and from mid June to Nov. I am camping, working and Living like few ever get to Live in today's modern suciety.

And Magilla I see you have been a member here on this S-boards almost as long as I have so glad to finally have met you.

And I don't have nearly as much money or credit as many seem to have. I actually have never had a credit card, just a debit card when necessary.

I Hate being in debt. And I also hate working for others although with my livestyle of "only" working for money from Nov. to June I usually must work for a company or corporation. The past 10 years for a corn research place in the cold months, although I have also worked for Coors and Anheuser-Busch in the past at a can factory etc...

I am glad to say that I am mostly through with working for others. Even beginning this year I likely will "only work" for money for the corn research station a couple months. Mainly since they are cutting back but also I just don't have the time or energy to waste working for others.

Far too much work to do for myself on my Own land and trying to finish a new cabin etc. etc.

IF any wish to see how to build a remote Rocky mountain survival retreat with some sheds and a bunker / underground shelter maybe look at some or all of my 10 pic threads. Maybe beginning with this one although all my threads can be found on my profile. But this shows quite a bit with many pics and some others also have posted later in the thread > https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=107463

It seems that I should have tried to make much more clear, on Why I do what I have done and Why I have not built too fancy, even seemingly crude, "cheap" structures, even 4 years ago when I first joined this "Survivalist"boards.

First of all, I hate being in debt. After I paid off a $5,000 pickup truck and also after I paid off the $8,000 loan on my mountain land I vowed to never go into debt again. And have been out of debt for more than 15 years.

I pay as I go. Even spending only $200 a year for bags of concrete over ten years when building the bunker.

Even buying more than half of everything I own at garage sales and other sales. Even salvaging Much. IF I would have had to buy All of the materials for even just the bunker it likely would have cost me over $20,000 to build it. But I salvaged much from an abandoned factory such as the 2 steel doors, many steel beams, rebar, windows, bricks and much more.

I still have 3 large steel beams I plan to use when I build the new cabin. I will use these beams over the 2 large sliding glass doors which will be 2 large windows in the new partially underground cabin / greenhouse.

Well, I guess I am rambling again and people who have read what I post likely have seen me post many of the same things. But If you write and post the truth enough times Maybe others will finally believe it!
And possibly even truly understand what I have done and still try to do everyday of my "boring" life. I am sure at least some city people would find my unique lifestyle boring and a waste of time, just as I find their lifestyle a waste....

And since I am not real certain when I will get back on the net and respond more, I Must say one more thing that I have wanted to say for the past few months.

I would Like to have one or two more good survivalists join me, although it is very likely I will have two or more this next summer.

I don't ask for them to come up simply to help me build my new cabin. Which I hope they will help for maybe an hour or so each day. Even if they are able to stay all summer up there.

I need to find one or more people that will be good, trustworthy and if possible even somewhat like me. And have many of the same interests and IF necessary I would like to give an acre or so to one or more of these good people who would help me and gain my complete trust. Which will not be easy to do.

If any remember the movie, "Into the Wild" the 80 plus year old guy, played by Hal Holbrook, told the young man that he would like him to be his heir. Or something like that. I should re-watch that movie again. And I also would like to have an heir or two.

Some one or two or maybe more to carry on what I have begun on my mountain place. There is Much room for improvement as some love to keep telling me.

There is No limit to what could be done with even that "small" 3 and 1/2 acres which is surrounded by a million plus national forest and other national forests if the forests in Colorado are included. And the hundreds of acres of other private land all around.

I have quite a few more ideas that could be done IF I did have good help. As I have posted in my pic threads, my mtn place / retreat has an abundance of wood, water and wildlife. Also many other things which I won't tell about, right now anyway.

Well enough about all of that. I just Had to spit that out finally. HOPE the right person or persons will read this and understand what I am saying.
IF any others have land and no heirs that would carry on what they would like to be carried on then Maybe they also would so similar?

I do Hope to live for another 20 or 30 plus years but who knows? It would be very good to have a good survivalist or two or so to carry on and be my heir.
Well enough about all of that for now....
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2013, 12:18 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 10,309 Times in 3,374 Posts

Well, I can't run away and doubt if I would be much help anyways but I might send you my son when he graduates from college this summer :-)

Would love to meet you though if they open up our travel budgets again and I go to our Fort Collins office or Colorado Springs office since those are right by you... let me know if you welcome day visitors... keep posting... have really enjoyed going through and reading your back threads and seeing all the pics... I don't see it as "cheap", I see it as "repurposed"... neat that you got some of it from an abandoned factory..
Old 04-04-2013, 12:29 PM
minimalist

Mike, I feel that I understand what your building is about, and its amazing. Repurposing items in America, if that's being cheap, then its about time america wakes up.

The only survivors will be those that can repurpose. When, if, the SHTF, only those who can improvise will be sustainable.

Attitudes of entitlement and wealth are archaic, outdated.

I could go on, I feel very strongly about "recycling". Nearly all of my youtube videos deal with Hobo living...ie, reusing what has been produced.

Thanks for the heartfelt thread.
Some are thinkers, some have theory, a few have skills. Very rarely do you find a man with all three.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thefemalesurvivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnairkin View Post

You know the real tragedy of this is that the cities don't have to be the way they are. They could be centers of beauty, culture, health care, education, art, music, cuisine, places that create progress instead of fear. Just this morning on Yahoo I read of hundreds of teenagers rioting and bullying pedestrians, stealing on the Magnificent Mile in Chicago. Just what is wrong with us that we continue to allow those things to happen? Doesn't anybody kick their butts? Show them that this kind of behavior results in punishment. Put these people to work at something productive and prideful. Shucks I could use a few hundred of them on the farm, At the end of the day, they'd have no urge to cause trouble. They'd be looking forward to a few hours of peace and quiet and a warm shower.

I've been to both NYC and Chicago in the last couple of years after about a 35 year hiatus. I couldn't believe what I saw. Get away from the business districts and it looks like a war zone. I haven't been back to Detroit but by the pictures I see it is even worse. I am actually afraid of these places. What a shame!

MMM, sorry about the diversion but you brought up the 'city subject'. but you are absolutely right, some of them I regard as uninhabitable!
Quote:
Originally Posted by manisonenmi View Post
On your post I have to say this, while I admire your self-suffciency and spartan life style I can tell you that that lifestyle is not for me. BO to a remote wildeness location will be my last option..I enjoy city life and all it has to offer to just forsake it. Yes, it has its drawbacks, but IMHO the good outweights the bad, at least so far. Me and my wife work hard, but we also take the time to enjoy life, we travel to europe and our beachhouse in mexico every year, we enjoy the theater, movies, dining out, etc..none of these can be found in the remote wilderness. I am not the best prepper in the world but not the worst either but as I said before a mountain hideout would be my last choice
To each their own.

Hope your 'wonderful' cities will always exist and not collapse somehow, someday. I think cities and civilizations have collapsed, even disappeared in the past.

I truly think that there is much more good in wilderness and Much more bad in cities. Think of it as the wilderness is the Opposite of cities.
Cities: noisy, over crowded, overdeveloped, over priced, over regulated, polluted, stressful, heavy traffic, stink of diesel and many other man-made stenches, crime filled compared to wilderness, disease filled, filled with money sucking activities, Terrorist and nuclear targets etc. etc. to name a few

WHAT in any city can beat this view?? >

Here is a good view looking down on my private dirt road which this pic was taken only a few feet above my bunker on the hill side. >

And a nearby fishing lake which helps show some of the beauty in my mountain area >

Here is a link to the county my mtn place is located in and that county is at least twice the size of the state of Rhode Island and this link has many more purty pics of one of the best areas in the USA if not the world > http://www.wyomingcarboncounty.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by manisonenmi View Post
we travel to europe and our beachhouse in mexico every year, we enjoy the theater, movies, dining out, etc..none of these can be found in the remote wilderness.
For which I am very grateful.

Although more than once I have watched movies in the wild, mainly on my mtn retreat on a tv with vcr and even a dvd player and last summer on my laptop run by solar power.
And I can dine on trout, elk, venison, grouse etc. etc.
The great abundance of wildlife and other nature shows are better, to me anyway, than Any theater or movie!

Many quotes of Thoreau and some others who knew what is Real LIFE and not just an existence >>>

Henry David Thoreau - "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them."
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Just got an email with an interesting video and the guy who sent it said the old guy in the video reminded him of me. I hope to live somewhat similar although not sure if I will be alone if / when I get That old.
And I will have to go to a library to watch or download this video which is in 4 parts. Only have dialup right now.

IF anyone does watch some or all 4 parts maybe post and tell if it is good enough to watch?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post: