Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
micro fleece vs wool anno lynke Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 77 03-19-2017 09:22 PM
Wool or Fleece ? lionatheart Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 203 07-27-2015 07:46 AM
Micro-Nations / Micro-States... Bovafett Controversial News and Alternative Politics 7 03-17-2014 03:53 PM
Wool VS Fleece SirThrivalist Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 8 12-05-2012 05:58 PM
Hiking Camping and Hiking - Free Online Book Barbarossa Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 9 12-02-2012 11:44 PM
Down, wool or fleece. What's the best insulation for the body? Bobbyjack Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 49 10-13-2012 01:28 AM
20 Below Mens Fleece Zip Up (L) Cope's Distribuitng For Sale 0 03-05-2012 10:51 AM
Fleece Jacket Cactus Looking for - want to buy 8 10-05-2010 10:42 AM
The Land of the Fleece Scam RamblinMan Controversial News and Alternative Politics 0 05-26-2009 11:11 PM
Fleece Sleeping Bags AAPEXX Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 7 04-04-2008 10:11 PM

Old 04-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Numquam Succumbe

Thanked 5,720 Times in 2,285 Posts
Default Hiking in Micro Fleece

Advertise Here

Has anyone used Micro Fleece while hiking before? I've never used it, and I'm wondering how it preforms.

Does it breath? Does it stick to you when you sweat? Will it insulate while drenched in sweat? Does it dry quickly? Anything else I should know about Mirco Fleece?

Thanks for your input!
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to twyggy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,313 Times in 4,305 Posts
Default Re: Hiking in Micro Fleece

Quote:
Originally Posted by twyggy View Post
Has anyone used Micro Fleece while hiking before? I've never used it, and I'm wondering how it preforms.

Does it breath? Does it stick to you when you sweat? Will it insulate while drenched in sweat? Does it dry quickly? Anything else I should know about Mirco Fleece?

Thanks for your input!
I have a couple and always take one...even in the SW deserts or SE summers, morning can be chilly and after a good storm shower, temps can drop to "uncomfortable".

I usually hike in a long sleeved sythentic shirt as it allows me a little more controlled ventiliation. If your micro-fleece pullover has a half-zip neck, you can regulate temps as well. Depending on the weather, they are pretty comfortable to hike in...they don't bunch up like a larger fleece jacket or wool sweater. And yes, they dry rather quickly (just don't put too close to the fire!).

A quality micro-fleece is a good addition to any backpack.

ROCK6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Your move Sparky...

Thanked 14,837 Times in 4,955 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Only wools for this kid.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cool Hand For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Target Shooter

I have been looking at micro fleece as well. Here is a review on a pullover hoody. http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...avid%20Wilkes/
The Following User Says Thank You to prepper21 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2010, 05:09 AM
Observer

I have a few micro fleece clothes and imo theyre the best material you can have with you... it seems to regulate the temprature so i can wear it in winter and be toasty (even at around 5oc) and in summer (about 20-25oc)
The Following User Says Thank You to andyhuk For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2010, 07:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,110 Times in 2,682 Posts

Imo , fleece is a must have as part of a layering system or to keep in a backpackpack . But I don't think it's a good base layer . I use it as a 2nd or 3d layer .
It's lightweight , very warm , comfortable and drys quick . Just don't get it to close to a fire , it melts .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woodswalker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2010, 07:25 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,736 Times in 1,869 Posts

the biggest problem I have with fleece or fuzzy stuff such as wool of any kind is that everything but everything sticks to it! Be warned that a nice little nylon windbreaker over the fleece will save you hours of picking seeds, thorns, twigs, etc out of it. If you are hiking where there is any tall grass, brush, etc, the fleece will be a PITA if you do not have it covered with something that doesn't snag as easily. this is true for socks too.. put little nylon stocking socks over the fuzzies and you won't have problems with stuff sticking you in the feet for weeks after you launder them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to methemom For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 07:47 AM
Target Shooter

The site I posted above has personal nonpaid reviews on gear of all kinds. I don't have a large budget and tend to research many items to death before buying. The right gear is IMOP the difference between comfort and enjoyment and a stupid test of will and a desire to see the end of the trip ASAP. Propper planning and preperation make any trip an adventure instead of a test.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,672 Times in 952 Posts

Are these the "tights" that are spandex/lycra?
Do they still sell/make those?
Old 04-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congo View Post
Are these the "tights" that are spandex/lycra?
Do they still sell/make those?
They make some microfleece tight pants that appear to be spandex from a distance but they're not. They're actually microfleece that is often wind/water resistance and about the warmest thing you can wear. I have a pair of North Face tights like this that I use while mountain biking when it's really cold.

Sierra Designs makes some nice microfleece items. I've got a campfire hoody on order that I'm going to demo.

Just keep in mind there's multiple items that are regarded as microfleece. Some are not wind and water proof, but some are. Some are also MUCH hotter than others. All microfleece isn't created equal.
The Following User Says Thank You to corndogggy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,672 Times in 952 Posts

Got it. My Sig has "chilly willys" and that me thinking. Gonna have to check her drawers because my legs got cold and hers didn't.....