A few thoughts about Survival and anyone else can add their thoughts also - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts of my wilderness survival kit. emil0509 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 8 04-06-2013 08:02 PM
Thoughts on northwest survival? Brewerin Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 07-26-2011 09:01 AM
Thoughts on northwest survival? Brewerin Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 07-20-2011 12:59 PM
updated thoughts: Migration of the masses: Realistic thoughts of PSHTF ??? Castlemom Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 69 05-24-2011 06:44 PM
My survival kit...Your thoughts??? survivalworld Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 03-01-2011 12:42 PM
Survival thoughts and ideas HaroldWayneHamlin Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 09-04-2009 10:23 PM
Thoughts on Rifle for Urban survival tlaloc Urban Survival 134 07-18-2009 02:46 PM
Thoughts on Disaster Survival - Part Two Thedishdoc Urban Survival 9 11-03-2008 06:22 PM
New Thoughts On Earthquake Survival DenverDuck Urban Survival 9 09-05-2008 04:31 AM
Thoughts on a good survival firearm kev Firearms General Discussion 26 12-23-2007 12:10 PM

Old 04-29-2013, 09:59 PM
Prepared

Advertise Here

Me and the wife were just out there to Wyoming last August. The mountains and lakes were wonderful and camping with those Griz most exciting. I must confess that we are city folks but I was raised a hunter and fisherman. I have a BOB but if the time does come to leave the city, I know the wilderness life for us would be difficult. Sure would have been fun to have visited you last August! I would say WY just may be the best place to BO in the lower 48 states. Lots of game and fish to eat. Best wishes to you Mtnman Mike!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hunter789 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 6,265 Times in 2,189 Posts

Seriously Mike. Ya gotta stop telling folks about this place. I like the low population.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to biathlon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2013, 10:24 PM
minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
MAYbe someone else also thinks that? And can add your thoughts about Worrying?

And IF anyone out there also has some kind of survival or even any good thoughts plz share...
We had a preacher used to say "Worry has no virtue." which I guess is the same as saying it brings no strength and has no value.

Worry is a waste of brain cells.

On the other hand, a person can be Concerned about something, which leads to making a plan or finding a solution, so probably being concerned and taking action is the positive way to live, rather than worry and stagnate due to fear.

There certainly are enough things happening in the world to cause concern. My friends are looking to buy a pistol before they head out on their summer long road trip!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thefemalesurvivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Target Shooter

Default MY thoughts?

You have to be out of the cities/urban population areas when the SHTF...I've done numerous search warrants on "Zombie" residences, and they all consistently have less than a week's worth of food. There were more foodstuffs, back in the day when they passed out commodities, now it's all EBT.
The Zombies know a bullet in the head awaits them if they try to steal your supplies, so they'll send their women and children to beg. Can anyone here say "NO" to a hungry child?
I can't.
...so sue me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beatupoldcop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 24,389 Times in 4,927 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter789 View Post
Me and the wife were just out there to Wyoming last August. The mountains and lakes were wonderful and camping with those Griz most exciting. I must confess that we are city folks but I was raised a hunter and fisherman. I have a BOB but if the time does come to leave the city, I know the wilderness life for us would be difficult. Sure would have been fun to have visited you last August! I would say WY just may be the best place to BO in the lower 48 states. Lots of game and fish to eat. Best wishes to you Mtnman Mike!
Thanks Hunter,

I wish you would have stopped by my mtn place last August. I suppose you visited Jellowstone national park? Most do. Wilderness life is not easy but I personally think and know from much experience that city life is harder in many ways. Many money sucking, crowded, noisy, stressful ways. The Opposite of wilderness. Don't get me started on city vs wilderness. Oh, too late.

And Hunter if you and yours are ever in southern Wyoming then hope you would at least see the Snowy Range mtns and then go 30 or so miles to the west to Encampment, WY and then 12 miles west and find my mtn retreat, place, Paradise.
I guarantee a unique experience in a very beautiful area. Not too many if any remote mtn survival retreats, with a bunker etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biathlon View Post

Seriously Mike. Ya gotta stop telling folks about this place. I like the low population.
OK biathlon. I am sure my posts and threads are read by millions and most of them will go right up to the desolate wasteland of Wyoming, maybe even move there. Which I know quite a few think Wyoming is desolate and an unpopulated cityless wasteland except for Jellowstone national park.

And since biathlon has posted a pic I must try to outdo him. Some proof that the Snowy Range is one of The most beautiful mountain ranges on the planet. >

Here are a couple pics that are my favorite and were taken on my way back to the stinkin city - Greeley, CO after I left my mtn retreat in late October 2011 >

I had to lay on my stomach to get the lake and the mountains in this pic, the things I do for you all on the net >

and this one shows my old brown tough Ford truck parked in a parking area far above looking down on this lake ( Lake Marie ) which I just showed in the previous pic. In the past I have climbed to the top of a couple of the high mtns looking down also on this area in southern Wyoming >

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2013, 12:29 PM
minimalist

Jellowstone!

well, better than saying Jellystone, which most do say. I admit, when the people come to visit "their" national park, they don't see it like us who live here, a beautiful incredible place. Find the hidden places way off the beaten path. They claim only one percent ever go past the pavement.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thefemalesurvivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefemalesurvivalist View Post
Jellowstone!

well, better than saying Jellystone, which most do say. I admit, when the people come to visit "their" national park, they don't see it like us who live here, a beautiful incredible place. Find the hidden places way off the beaten path. They claim only one percent ever go past the pavement.
Yeah, today I am trying to be sorta humorous in my posts, maybe because the sun is finally shining even here in my fair stinkin city of Greeley, Calirado.

I think many say Jellystone from Yogi bear cartoons which I remember from 40 plus years ago.

AND I think I should tell about one person who is very welcome on my mtn retreat or BOL if any must call it that.

I have been emailing a few dozen times with this person and slowly but surely getting to know her as well as one can get to know anyone over the net.

I could go on and on but here is a quote from her good blog:
The link to her blog: http://www.thefemalesurvivalist.blogspot.com/

" This summer, I will be spending a great deal of time living in the wilderness, both backpacking on the CDT and working with Mountainman Mike who lives on the Continental Divide. Check out my post entitled "A Real Mountain Man Survivalist" on April 10, 2013."

And a pic of whom I hope to be, Finally, my good survivalist mountain womun!

I won't say, right now, who she is, such as her username. She might even post if she wishes. Otherwise I will let the local internet Sherlocks figure it out, which should be easy if any read all of this post....
And not saying we are going to get married or anything. First we have to actually meet in person. And then see what happens...

I have been a hermit in the past, especially when building my underground bunker and sheds since 1990. But I am trying to get more friends - Maybe even someone closer such as Maybe a wife. I would rather not spend my 'retirement' and Old years alone.

Here is One more thing if anyone wants one of my more important survival thoughts which I hope no one will dislike it because it is a quote from the Bible. I am specifically thinking of a guy with the initials MB but many on this supposedly self-sufficient survivalist / preppier boards might think they don't need anyone, especially God or even the Bible. Ok IF any think that will work out.

One of my favorite thoughts though from everything I have ever read or learned and I have read Much is this: ""Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" which is similar to the other important quote from the most important person to walk this planet: "love thy neighbor as thyself."

James, from the book of James, which is in the New Testament, for any non-Bible readers out there, even refers to "love thy neighbor as thyself" as being "the royal law" because it is the embodiment of all the laws dealing with human relationships.
Seems like there would not have to be any laws, rules etc. etc. IF everyone followed this Golden rule.
But hardly anyone, even those who call themselves Christians seem to ever do.

Btw, I hope no one thinks I am religious. I have posted before that I think religion is one of the worst curses to befall humankind.
But I do like the Bible. And If any do not understand that then I hope they will before it is too late. Well anyone can discuss that if they wish.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2013, 06:35 PM
Silver Wings

Thanked 25,166 Times in 8,105 Posts

An add your thoughts thread ... ? hmmmm,

Mike, I could work my butt off and build a place cheap, or spend about the same for some floats and land on your lake.

I think I'll just come to your place. I hate it when people say that ....

Well wishes for your Dad.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to txflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by txflyboy View Post
An add your thoughts thread ... ? hmmmm,

Mike, I could work my butt off and build a place cheap, or spend about the same for some floats and land on your lake.

I think I'll just come to your place. I hate it when people say that ....

Well wishes for your Dad.
Thanks and I have seen more than a few posts from some who have written about just coming up to my mtn place when the SHTF.
Which they maybe should not come up without telling me since I would hate to shoot a friend or even potential friend. kidding, sorta. I am talking about post-SHTF when I write that.

But on a more serious note I want to share a headline said to be from MSNBC I just saw posted not too long ago >>>>

"Police Arrest Naked Man with Concealed Weapon!"

which would be quite a trick if that is true.

I just looked that up on google and it does seem to be true. Warning sorta graphic story > http://www.nbcnews.com/id/15554530/n.../#.UYvBQcpqLtQ
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Threadkiller

Thanked 3,251 Times in 1,164 Posts

Wish you all the best Mike.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sigmund For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2013, 01:05 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 10,309 Times in 3,374 Posts

Happy to see a post from you - was wondering how you have been! Happier to see that you have a new friend that is coming to visit!!

Stop making me jealous with the pics... although, I bet the water is REALLY cold... which I would not like... I won't even get in our pool unless the water is 95 degrees or warmer.. I am a wuss and proudly wear that banner

Have a great weekend!! And tell you Mom and Daddy I said hello - I am sure that it will mean so much to them (ok, maybe not but it is the thought that counts )

PS... because I am a nosy sort of person (if you haven't noticed), I went to your friend's blog and turns out, I had purchased her first River Survival book! Didn't realize there were others afterwards... guess I need to get a clicking and reading..
Old 05-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmund View Post
Wish you all the best Mike.
Thanks sigmund although I didn't know that you liked me or anything I have posted. Many on this non-pic thread I have never heard of before especially the dozens who have kindly thanked my first post in this thread.
I could add much more such as more about my grandmothers but maybe later when I get more free wifi time here at McDonalds or the library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandiTS View Post
Happy to see a post from you - was wondering how you have been! Happier to see that you have a new friend that is coming to visit!!

Stop making me jealous with the pics... although, I bet the water is REALLY cold... which I would not like... I won't even get in our pool unless the water is 95 degrees or warmer.. I am a wuss and proudly wear that banner

Have a great weekend!! And tell you Mom and Daddy I said hello - I am sure that it will mean so much to them (ok, maybe not but it is the thought that counts )

PS... because I am a nosy sort of person (if you haven't noticed), I went to your friend's blog and turns out, I had purchased her first River Survival book! Didn't realize there were others afterwards... guess I need to get a clicking and reading..
I bet my new best friend - possibly my new found love will like what you just posted.

And the water almost everywhere in Wyoming, especially over 9,000 feet is cold, even in July and August.

And Daddy? Ok, I see you are from Texas which I can understand why you said that. I never use the word Daddy, especially since my 80 year old Dad even now might be able to kick my ..... never mind.

Btw, Randi, here are a few more water pics taken on and near my mtn place and I could post more but too little time now >

Trout pond about a 1/4 mile from my mtn retreat and where I occasionally get some fresh Real food >

Snowdrift in early July and also one of my springs flowing out from under one of my 4 sheds >

Same spring flowing down towards the private dirt road >

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/a...uly2011037.jpg
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2013, 01:52 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 10,309 Times in 3,374 Posts

Well, all over the South we call our fathers "Daddy", even the men do it! And I call my Mom "Momma" or "Old Lady" when I want to annoy her :-)

I am so excited - will get to share pics with you next weekend - yep - FINALLY get the keys to the property on the 15th!! Gonna drive up there next week and get the electricity in my name and hire someone to scrub out the dwelling because I refuse to touch other people's dead skin cells and urine drops (the men had not cleaned their bathrooms in the trailer since the soon to be ex wife left over a YEAR ago) and the crack shack was so nasty I don't want to deal with it - I wouldn't be able to sleep in there thinking of all the icky things that were scrubbed out or removed.. gross.

Entire family is coming up for Memorial Day weekend so have to get it looking nice for their first viewing!
Old 05-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Threadkiller

Thanked 3,251 Times in 1,164 Posts

Quote:
Thanks sigmund although I didn't know that you liked me or anything I have posted.
Oh I have followed along on your threads. At least the monumental ones.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sigmund For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 11:20 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandiTS View Post
Well, all over the South we call our fathers "Daddy", even the men do it! And I call my Mom "Momma" or "Old Lady" when I want to annoy her :-)

I am so excited - will get to share pics with you next weekend - yep - FINALLY get the keys to the property on the 15th!! Gonna drive up there next week and get the electricity in my name and hire someone to scrub out the dwelling because I refuse to touch other people's dead skin cells and urine drops (the men had not cleaned their bathrooms in the trailer since the soon to be ex wife left over a YEAR ago) and the crack shack was so nasty I don't want to deal with it - I wouldn't be able to sleep in there thinking of all the icky things that were scrubbed out or removed.. gross.

Entire family is coming up for Memorial Day weekend so have to get it looking nice for their first viewing!
Will be glad to see your pics Randi if / when you feel like posting them in this thread or your own pic thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmund View Post
Oh I have followed along on your threads. At least the monumental ones.
I guess this is one of my "monumental threads but some like many of my ten pic threads even more. I am somewhat surprised to see so many thanks on the first post of this thread since it is long an I don't even recognize many who have thanked me.
Although some who have thanked thank many of my posts and threads, for whatever hopefully good reason.

I also don't want to make sigmund's avatar which says: "thread killer" to come true and why I am posting right now.

I do have quite a few survival thoughts I have learned since 1982 when I first became interested in survival and such things.
Someday I will post more of those thoughts although I have posted quite a few in my threads and elsewhere.

I posted quite a bit about my grandmothers in the OP - original - first post in this thread but I also could go on much more about my grandparents, even some of my great-grandparents.
My mom's dad came to the USA from Sweden in 1890 when he was 14. He did not even marry until he was 42 and then to my grandmother who was 19 - the one who was born and raised in a sod house in N. Dakota.

He had 3 brothers and a sister who never married but my grandfather and grandmother had eleven children. My mom was the 9th. Guess my granddad wanted to make up for the lack of any children of his siblings.

I did hear a story that when my grand dad was about 4 he said: "We are going to America!" although they did not actually go until he was 14 which means they prepared for at least ten years before they actually bugged out of Sweden to the land of the free! I also heard that my grand dad - my mom's dad and his family thought Sweden was getting far too socialist! Wonder what they would think of Sweden, Europe, even the USA today?!

And a story my grandmother - my Dad's mom told me about her mother was that she usually never used eggs for their food but to barter / trade for valuables at the grocery store.
And one other story I remember is that my grandmother said her mother had some bootleggers come into their yard in the Ozarks of Missouri, I think in the late 1920's and she had a mean old hound dog and a shot gun she aimed at those bootleggers and she told them to get out! The bootleggers were some relation, I think uncles and cousins of hers from what my grandma told me.

I don't have a pic I can post of my great grandmother but here are a couple I found on the net that is pretty close from an old pic I did see once and to help show what she was like from some stories I heard such as the bootleg - shotgun true story of her >

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 10:20 PM

Thanks Mike for your post.My Great Grandmother was like Granny from the Beverly Hillbillies.Small,redheaded and full of vinegar..My Daughter has some of her things that were passed down.One which is her pearl handled pen knife
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sawhead For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Survival thoughts for Sunday May 19th, 2013.

I guess many of you realize that this year is almost half over and summer will be here and gone before we know it?

But I wanted to post about a survival magazine I first saw in the late 1980's called "American Survival Guide."

Besides some good books that I bought and read when I first became a survivalist in 1982 such as D!ck Proenneke's book before his films and some others such as NWSSkills > www.oism.org/nwss

American Survival Guide was a big help to me especially since Al Gore had not invented the internet yet, I guess.

That magazine was full of ads which I Had to buy some of the gear / junk from those ads. Much in the same way so awful many preppers today seem to think that a good prepper / survivalist Must buy their way into preparedness.

I think the ASGuide magazine had disappeared for several years after 2000. Maybe since Y2k was a bust and far too many maybe gave up on preparing and such?

But I was glad to see a month or so ago American Survival Guide was back on the shelves in a big grocery store - a Kroger grocery store.
It cost $9 which was barely worth that but I just had to buy and read it. At least for old times sake and to see if they were still writing good info.

There were some interesting articles which the one I liked the most was written by Abe Elias titled "Stay or Go?"

Here is a google link about that magazine if any are interested. > https://www.google.com/search?q=abe+...w=1365&bih=681

And I must quickly post some of the ideas from that long pic filled article which I mostly agree with. >

"If you are facing disaster that is threatening your home you will have to make the decision to stay or go. That choice involves factors requiring "situational awareness."

Situational awareness simply refers to your knowledge of what you have and how well you are capable of dealing with problems and threats around you.
Situational awareness will be easier to understand if you break it down into its three main areas: self-preparedness, surroundings and resources.

Self-preparedness

Being prepared means more than just stockpiling gear.

It involves elements such as overall health, mobility, skill level and the capability to physically and mentally cope with the situation.

Surroundings

Includes knowledge of the main routes in and out of town, local flood plains, locations of nuclear plants etc.

I, Mtnman Mike would also add that surroundings and location is Very important and if you are in an area with much water, wood and wildlife it will be easier to survive and thrive. Such as my remote mtn retreat has all of that. No well or Wal-marts close by but with 2 springs I do not need a well or even water storage. Although I do have 3 fifty gallon drums to store water in.

Resources

Involves gear, your social network - such as friends or relatives to help and your financial capabilities. Such as if you have enough dollars to fuel your vehicle, if you even own a vehicle and / or if you have people to help you and a good place to bug out to and stay with outside an affected area such as if there was a wildfire or hurricane etc.

Situational awareness can allow you to prepare for any disaster that comes your way. It is not enough to simply make a plan.

To paraphrase Bruce Lee: be the water that fills the cup - powerful, yet capable to conform and change to any vessel."

I hope many will find and read American Survival Guide. It is one of the few if only magazine that I know about that actually is aimed at survivalists! And not only those who would rather call themselves preppers.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 10:17 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

One more thought which can be also thought of as a survival thought.

Be at peace with the actual lives we have lived or even are living right now.

Not the life we could have or might have or should have or would have lived but the Real, everyday life that we actually experience.

If you are at peace with this life in its humble and mysterious entirety, then you have learned one of life's basic lessons.

There is a tendency for "old" people / seniors to think we've seen it all, done it all before.

Nature though, creates a new artwork everyday, not only with spider webs and dew drops or snow flakes but also in ant struggles, squirrel dramas and all kinds of bird displays.

To be surprised with the natural art and world around us seems like a healthy thing to be.
We still have a lot of surprises in store.

I am not sure jumping out of an airplane or off a bridge with a bungee cord will make our passing any easier.
But if we practice being at peace, at ease, even surprised then maybe we will more likely have a grin on our face when that time comes.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 04:32 PM
minimalist

Quote:
One more thought which can be also thought of as a survival thought.

Be at peace with the actual lives we have lived or even are living right now.

Not the life we could have or might have or should have or would have lived but the Real, everyday life that we actually experience.

If you are at peace with this life in its humble and mysterious entirety, then you have learned one of life's basic lessons.

There is a tendency for "old" people / seniors to think we've seen it all, done it all before.

Nature though, creates a new artwork everyday, not only with spider webs and dew drops or snow flakes but also in ant struggles, squirrel dramas and all kinds of bird displays.

To be surprised with the natural art and world around us seems like a healthy thing to be.
We still have a lot of surprises in store.

I am not sure jumping out of an airplane or off a bridge with a bungee cord will make our passing any easier.
But if we practice being at peace, at ease, even surprised then maybe we will more likely have a grin on our face when that time comes.

Wow, Mike, that is absolutely poetical. I would love to quote you on my blog. The whole concept of being surprised, which means we must get out of our comfort zone. Get up and see the sunrise, go on a midnight hike, take that river down to some random beach. Meet someone new, take a obscure path. You've spoken true words, and "this life in its humble and mysterious entirety" has me pondering the summer even more.

I love it, beautiful!
The Following User Says Thank You to thefemalesurvivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Silver Wings

Thanked 25,166 Times in 8,105 Posts
Default i need a mountain retreat ...

You guys are killing me with the pictures. It hit 90 with maybe 90% humidity here today. I'm a little envious Mike.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to txflyer For This Useful Post: