Beware donating to Goodwill Industries--people reselling stuff at HUGE markups - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 08-04-2020, 10:29 AM
Indefatigable

Thanked 46,571 Times in 14,235 Posts

Advertise Here

I stopped donating and shopping at GW when they started selling worn out flip flops for $10 and couches that you could smell all over the store for $400. They priced themselves out of business and have closed all but one of their stores in Tulsa.
The one and only time I visited there, the merchandise was piled into a heap in the middle of a warehouse guarded by a man who bore a striking resemblance to a young Charles Manson and as I crossed the door, roaches (plural) ran across my boots.
My donations go exclusively to the AMVETS.

As far as buying and reselling - I do that from garage sales. I can buy trashy pieces of jewelry and cannibalize the parts for a fraction of what I would pay at a bead store. I make them into something new and resell them. No garage sales for a while so that allowed me to start working on a 5lb box I bid on at an auction. I've already got wayyy more than my $10.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 10:30 AM
Generator Wrangler

Thanked 6,664 Times in 2,260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Yeah ... when they stopped being a charity and became a "for profit" organization I stopped donating to them.
According to Forbes Magazine and Charity Watch (an independent charity watchdog organization) Goodwill is a non-profit organization.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:33 AM
Hiker

Thanked 2,922 Times in 539 Posts

I dont have an issue with resellers picking up items for cheap and flipping them for a profit, but the scalpers are pretty much the scum of the earth.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mast3rBlast3r For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 10:36 AM
Generator Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
Goodwill is NOT a charity. They have to sell stuff this cheaply due to the shear volume they receive. I used to go to a Goodwill auction. Pretty easy to make $3000 a month on ebay and Craigslist reselling before 2015. Now? Not so easy. Goodwill runs their own ebay site and the own online auction as well. The woman who ran the auction jacks all the jewelery for herself. And yes, employees are not allowed to buy, but I have bought for many of the employees. It's all a scam, but as I stated, shear volume is why they have to sell things readily and relatively cheaply.
It's not what you do with the money you make by reselling the merchandise you buy from GW that determines their status as a charitable organization, it's what GW does with the money you pay them for the merchandize.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RKW For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 10:43 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 8,045 Times in 3,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKW View Post
It's not what you do with the money you make by reselling the merchandise you buy from GW that determines their status as a charitable organization, it's what GW does with the money you pay them for the merchandize.
I am very aware. They jump through all the legal hoops. I have a friend in Tulsa who wants to start her own non profit for the same reason, because there's so much money in it.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:50 AM
Generator Wrangler

Quote:
I am very aware. They jump through all the legal hoops. I have a friend in Tulsa who wants to start her own non profit for the same reason, because there's so much money in it.
Perhaps she wants to start a for-profit charity.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:04 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Perhaps she wants to start a for-profit charity.
Nope. She already has the non profit status paperwork finalized. She wants it for the same reason everyone else does. Tax exempt status. The layers of scam involved in non profits would be like peeling an onion.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:08 AM
Business Owner

Thanked 3,865 Times in 1,482 Posts

No scam at all. We do the exact thing your SIL does. Its a win-win for evrybody involved. Folks donate stuff that they no longer need and it keeps it out of landfills. (win-win)

Goodwill hires people to sort thru, price, stock and sell stuff (win). These people are often not employable at other places due to mental inabilities or physical inabilities.

People buy stuff and resell it making a profit (Capitalism, win.) Its honest work, as there is a lot of work in buying used items, cleaning them, fixing them, and then listing them on Ebay. Then you must box and ship and track the items.

To suggest that people doing this are committing a scam is offensive.

Goodwill, and thrift stores are well aware of whats going on. We know people there on a first-name basis. They often even point out stuff in our preferred product areas for us to look at.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrianWorf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 11:10 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianWorf View Post
No scam at all. We do the exact thing your SIL does. Its a win-win for evrybody involved. Folks donate stuff that they no longer need and it keeps it out of landfills. (win-win)

Goodwill hires people to sort thru, price, stock and sell stuff (win). These people are often not employable at other places due to mental inabilities or physical inabilities.

People buy stuff and resell it making a profit (Capitalism, win.) Its honest work, as there is a lot of work in buying used items, cleaning them, fixing them, and then listing them on Ebay. Then you must box and ship and track the items.

To suggest that people doing this are committing a scam is offensive.

Goodwill, and thrift stores are well aware of whats going on. We know people there on a first-name basis. They often even point out stuff in our preferred product areas for us to look at.
I bought a set of Pink Irons in a Ping bag for $15 at the local Goodwill.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:16 AM
Dog Lives Matter

Thanked 23,968 Times in 5,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
I stopped donating and shopping at GW when they started selling worn out flip flops for $10 and couches that you could smell all over the store for $400. They priced themselves out of business and have closed all but one of their stores in Tulsa.
Prices sometimes vary greatly from one store to another. I primarily collect movies. Other than garage sales, there is no better place to find Blu-rays and DVDs than Goodwill. When I do a 4-store run, I may search through 2,000 to 4,000 movies.

A season of the Sopranos may be priced at $9.95 at one Goodwill store, and $3.26 at another. There has never been any clear methodology to their pricing. Pricing has nothing to do with condition. I only buy movies in pristine condition because some day I may decide to sell them. Right now the crappy movies that would be difficult to sell are donated back to Goodwill.

I find the same inconsistent pricing scheme with books. You have to hunt multiple stores to find the best bargains.

FYI. A couple of weeks ago I turned in a stack of empty Blu-ray cases to the cashier. Someone had stolen the movies. He said movies were the #1 item stolen at the stores. Shoes were #2. People come in and exchange a worn-out pair of shoes for a good pair. If you don't see a Goodwill sticker in the shoes, they were probably trade-ins.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 11:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,104 Times in 6,122 Posts

When I was a little kid we raided trash cans on collection day for treasures even dad enjoied the search. Long as you did not make a mess no one cared.
If you are donating something you would other wise throw away don't complain about how it is handlled.
Some tings are acquired for a particular part and the rest is thrown away , that is just how it is.
We go to scrap yards and junk yards and recycle yards and do the same things . what was another man's trash is another man's treasure.
So what ?
Applaud those industreious enough to see the market of things they can make a living on other people have missed.
If you resent the fact people are finding a way to survive off your cast offs you have a personal problem.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 11:47 AM

Oh yes, the Free Enterprise system that has made America great for all these years, Don't you just love it???? Seems like someone's butthurt because they didn't think of it first!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kloyiod For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 12:26 PM
D. Gibbons is a bad man

Thanked 4,834 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooeyhll View Post
I've never had to buy at Goodwill Industries. I have donated a few items over the years.

Last night I was talking to my brother. He said his wife's sister has made a lot of money cherry-picking items at Goodwill. And then reselling them at a huge markup on Ebay.

In fact, she (and some others) stand inline to be the first in the morning when a new shipment comes in. They buy the best items and then resell them.

She's bragging that she bought $60 worth of stuff, and has resold it for over $2000.

Is Goodwill aware of this scam? Are they taking any steps to counter it? I thought Goodwill was more of a charity, intended to help people who needed it. Am I wrong about this?

My advice---if you have something to donate, give it to a more accountable charity such as your local church. They are probably better aware whether a "recipient" is deserving of this help.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Never fall into begrudgery. If someone can add value to the unwanted all the power to them. Itís also better to keep donated items moving quickly from shelf to basket rather than being priced to where the buyer prevaricates and item gather dust.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
It's no different then buying something at a garage sale and reselling it.
Moral issue for myself.

If I go to a garage sale and see somebody selling Grandpas Wooten desk for $50, I would tell the seller their desk has more value.

If I go to a goodwill or thrift store and see the same Wooten desk for $50, I'm buying it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 02:02 PM
Generator Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helion View Post
Moral issue for myself.

If I go to a garage sale and see somebody selling Grandpas Wooten desk for $50, I would tell the seller their desk has more value.

If I go to a goodwill or thrift store and see the same Wooten desk for $50, I'm buying it.
Your scruples vary according to who you are dealing with?
The Following User Says Thank You to RKW For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 02:11 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helion View Post
Moral issue for myself.

Once again it amounts to the shear volume Goodwill receives EVERY DAY! People also donate/dump their trash on Goodwill. I used to haul a 16' stock trailer of trash (Leftover from DAILY purchases) to the transfer station EVERY day.

I've actually bought these desks for $2. Goodwill no longer takes furniture due to the bedbug epidemic.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:07 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 28,697 Times in 10,355 Posts

Brian if you ask the disability communities, those who can speak for themselves, they hate Goodwill. It is a scam to make management money. They claim most of the "hires" are incapable and pay very low wages, far less than minimum wage.

Then the "employee" takes paratransit back to the group home they share with 5 other head-bangers and do it all again the next day.

ALL of the "workshops helping disabled" are scams designed to milk the system and the "employee". Designed to make people feel good about "supporting" them even though they rape the disabled.

I am disabled, my husband is disabled, I have been in the community for over 30 years and the agencies "helping" the disabled, the workshops, the day-habs, etc. are all just scams to make management money. I do find it funny now with COVID the group homes are actually stuck with their residents. They don't get to ship them off every day like they used to.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 03:33 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Nope. She already has the non profit status paperwork finalized. She wants it for the same reason everyone else does. Tax exempt status. The layers of scam involved in non profits would be like peeling an onion.
Non-profits are such a scam.

I came across a woman a few years back from the Austin Tx area. She had a 7 figure home, BMW car of some kind, Harley motorcycle, sail boat and jet ski, a Mercedes SUV to haul the 2 aforementioned toys to and from the lake. She went to LA or NYC at least once a month, went to Europe 3 to 4 times a year. I thought she must be some kinda bigshot real estate developer or something. When she told me she ran a non-profit, I thought she was pulling my leg. She said all of her trips are paid for by her non-profit. All she had to do was do something, anything, related to what her non-profit was about...helping the homeless...and it was perfectly legal. She would go to Paris, for example, attend one seminar on the homeless, then spend the rest of the week wandering around France, her non-profit paying for everything, and it was totally legal.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to phil74501 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 03:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,600 Posts

Quote:
Your scruples vary according to who you are dealing with?
Yes.

An individual, probably a neighbor in a sense, holding a garage sale to make a few bucks is different than a corporate "charity" with a huge employee network and countless resources that actually pockets most of the cash on the stuff they get....for free.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:54 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 64,315 Times in 14,345 Posts
Default In Utah it's DI instead of Goodwill

Quote:
This ^^

I don't give to Goodwill, because I doubt there is even one in my area. When I have things I no longer want or need I give it to Deseret Industries (DI) who has several donation drop-offs and retail stores throughout Utah and Idaho.

When I donate stuff I really don't care what DI does with it. Should I?

Before the covid hit we would occasionally visit DI to see if there was anything such as books that I might want. I have bought a lot of used books there for pennies on the dollar.

DI sells free-to-them stuff for a small profit then if somebody else re-sells it for a larger profit I'd say DI needs to raise their prices. No?

The reason I donate things instead of trying to sell them is I don't want the hassle. It's just not me. One of my friends when I was a kid is really into swap meets. Apparently he does okay selling stuff he picks up at DI. Seems to me to be a win-win.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post: