Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 07-16-2020, 03:06 PM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 7,261 Times in 1,686 Posts
Default The Endless Mask Wars thread

Advertise Here

To mask or not to mask is hot topic in the world right now. Understandably, there are a lot of endless mask debates clogging up the Chinese virus thread and other non-mask threads.

The arguments are many and seem to go 'round and 'round without any converts. Non-participants in the debates are having to slog through all the mask posts to find whatever the topic of the thread is. So, I may be moving the debates to here as I see them. So, if you don't see your posts over there, it might be in here...

Carry on, y'all.

Can't find what you're looking for on this board? Type site:survivalistboards.com along with search terms in any search engine (duckduckgo.com, google.com, etc.).
Quick reply to this message
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2020, 03:27 PM

Honestly could not care less if people choose to wear a mask or not. I may or may not wear a mask depending on my situation. My state doesn't mandate it so....there's that. Where I work does but it's a hospital. Walmart is going to begin requiring it come Monday. Other stores in my town require them. I did wear one in the grocery store this afternoon on my way home from work but mostly it's because it's a new KC Chiefs one and it's cute LOL

yes, carry on. Wear one or don't, doesn't bother me one way or the other. I can take care of myself thank you very much.
The Following User Says Thank You to TitanicRose For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2020, 03:32 PM
Prepared

Yeah, we don't need 3-4 threads re make.

Good move to consolidate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRH.1979 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2020, 03:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,127 Times in 3,374 Posts

Something people might not realize is the use of respirators. I have them, use them, and actually protect well because it gives you a good seal. Better than N95 mask. However, what the general public might not understand is that respirators have a breathing valve that does not filter out what you are breathing out. That’s not how respirators are intended to work. So, a person wearing a respirator would be protected from incoming environmental droplets, but arguably won’t defend the environment from whatever is being dispensed by the person wearing the respirator. So in reality the masks are only really providing mediocre coverage of protection. N95 appear to be best bet overall. A respirator will help the person wearing it, but if that person has Covid they will still spread it. Cloth masks are a joke and might reduce droplets, but there is no seal and or filter. Seems more for show than anything.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sabotage39k For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2020, 03:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 30,396 Times in 7,250 Posts

People still smoke even though they know it causes cancer. People still drink and drive. Do drugs. STDs still travel around the globe. And 20-25 percent of people don't wear a seatbelt when driving. That's before we even get to criminal activity that actively targets other people and their well being on purpose.

Making people do stuff because it's good for them will never have 100% compliance. You have to take care of yourself. I generally do so by avoiding people even when out and about.

If 100% of the people wear mask 100% of the time when they are around others then 79.5% of them will catch the virus sometime in the next 2-3 years. If 0% of the people wear masks then 80% of them will catch the virus sooner. Mask statistics change virus infection timelines not the virus in general. The difference will be the small percentage of people using the right mask correctly, effective distancing, and the right hygiene protocols to reduce their overall risks.

If you have immediate family members that catch it when out, even though they have a mask on, your exposure probability jumps way up since you're confined with a sick person in a house. Assuming your family is not carrying just because they are asymptomatic so it's safe not to wear a mask at home around them is no different than someone out in a store with no mask.

So it's basically damned if you do and damned if you don't when you look at it from a purely statistical standpoint. Shaming and virtue signaling is just that. Appeal to emotion without the proper mathematics to back it up. You're simply reducing the individual odds at each potential exposure and then increasing the number of exposures over time to get the same end result.

Wearing a simple cloth mask at school, work, or out shopping then coming home and taking it off around your family, simply delays the inevitable.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2020, 04:39 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 28,774 Times in 10,393 Posts

Walmart had some Hanes masks 5 for $7.50, reusable and washable. I got some. I wear them when I have to (shopping, work) and take them off when riding somewhere. Arturo the cab driver does not wear one or require one worn so I have been riding with him a lot.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:09 PM
Crap Creek Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH.1979 View Post
Yeah, we don't need 3-4 threads re make.

Good move to consolidate.
I won't be consolidating various threads into this one, but rather, pruning mask debate posts from other non-mask threads such as the Chinese virus, etc. and putting them in here.

There are so many mask debate posts in the non-mask threads that folks are trippin over them to reach the thread topics.

Can't find what you're looking for on this board? Type site:survivalistboards.com along with search terms in any search engine (duckduckgo.com, google.com, etc.).
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2020, 06:32 PM
Crap Creek Survivor

It finally happened to me today. I knew it would eventually, but I was ready. I came out of Walmart with my mask on and keeping six feet distance to everyone, pushed my cart to my car, all the while wearing my mask.

A woman was getting out of her car next to me with no mask. As I'm putting groceries into my car she says, "Let me guess - you're a liberal beause that mask ain't gonna do anything for you except make you look stupid."

In anticipation of this happening, because I figured it might someday, I already had a response ready. I said "Look, I woke up with a temperature of 102 this morning (I didn't) plus I work around hundreds of people in close quarters (I don’t) so this is for your protection, not mine. How about I take it off and we hug like old friends?"

I stepped toward her and acted as if I was taking off my mask. She stepped back away from me and went across to the next row of cars. I followed her, she kept walking away, I chased her, she ran... She fell down. I grabbed her foot. I pulled on her leg, just as I’m pulling yours.

Haha! I got this from a friend who got it from a friend, who got it from a friend... Figured I would lighten up this thread early on with a dose of levity. I have a feeling this thread might need a good dose of it now and then. And, by the way, I have not been inside of a Walmart since early March because, Walmartians!

Old 07-17-2020, 05:52 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
To mask or not to mask is hot topic in the world right now. Understandably, there are a lot of endless mask debates clogging up the Chinese virus thread and other non-mask threads.

The arguments are many and seem to go 'round and 'round without any converts. Non-participants in the debates are having to slog through all the mask posts to find whatever the topic of the thread is. So, I may be moving the debates to here as I see them. So, if you don't see your posts over there, it might be in here...

Carry on, y'all.
This described what it's boiled down too. https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/..._anyone_about/ I dont see the point in talking to anyone about anything anymore. Nobody listens, and nobody genuinely cares about anyone. (self.conspiracy)

submitted 15 hours ago * by DrorMann1984

The degradation of communication has reached its peak. You can't talk to anyone about anything anymore.

There's no convincing anyone of anything, and it's pointless to waste your breath explaining things because nobody even listens anyways.

People have set up camp in their corners and they're beyond reaching. Intellectual honesty is dead too.

Everyone just straight up ignores what is being said, and they're just waiting to say what they want, without even really listening to what was said.

People just speak at each other, and not to each other.

I don't even see the point in talking to people anymore. I don't even know why I'm writing this post.

Communication is dead. They can have the world. I hate this place.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OlddanTrucker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 06:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,194 Times in 1,915 Posts

OK, buh bye now.
The Following User Says Thank You to stroo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 09:51 AM
covfefe

Thanked 4,266 Times in 1,333 Posts

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...reitbart+News)

Fauci Opposes Controlled Study on Effectiveness of Masks

Quote:
One student asked if it is possible to do a study in the midst of a pandemic about the effectiveness of wearing masks.

“What kind of studies can we do right now in the middle of the pandemic about masks and transmission of the disease?” the student asked. “Or are we just relying on anecdotal evidence because we are not able to do those kind of studies right now?”

Fauci said there are enough “meta-analyses” of existing data showing the efficacy of masks.
What's the problem with a scientific study?
Old 07-17-2020, 09:55 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 41,994 Times in 8,231 Posts

I think part of it is, people do not know how to act during a pandemic. We have relied on vaccines and advances in technology to prevent outbreaks, people have forgotten common sense.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 10:45 AM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 12,917 Times in 2,639 Posts

If a cake baker doesn't want to make a wedding cake for queers that's his right. If a store owner wants to require masks, it's their right. Don't like it, don't go there.

We have a communist insurgency going on, but retards are fighting over masks instead.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RedTail For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 10:55 AM
Its a Hoax Folks

Thanked 15,148 Times in 2,697 Posts

The cloth masks that the general public wear are as effective at containing the virus as a pair of underwear are at containing a fart.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SurvivalOfTheFit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 11:15 AM
covfefe

Thanked 4,266 Times in 1,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
I think part of it is, people do not know how to act during a pandemic. We have relied on vaccines and advances in technology to prevent outbreaks, people have forgotten common sense.
From my understanding, this virus is closely related to a cold virus.

When I was an infant, I had to receive immunoglobulin injections because of a compromised immune system.
I have always got colds. Even when no one that I knew had a cold. And they have always been bad.
As a note, I rarely got the flu.
This was "normal" in childhood as well as adulthood, until I read something many years ago that most colds are transferred via hands.

As a result, I did everything possible to not touch any public door handle with my bare hand. If I did, I washed it ASAP being aware to not touch my face until then.
If I had to shake someone's hand, I washed them ASAP.
My wife used to make jokes about it, but she never gets colds.

Since then, I have not got a cold - except for a short time that I was not diligent with hand sanitation. And I got another cold.

Just something to think about.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eskrima For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 11:30 AM
Hail to the King, Baby

Thanked 4,191 Times in 1,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
Hate to tell you kev, but a piece of t-shirt is NOT going to stop an organism .125 microns in size. Neither is an ear-loop mask, neither is a respirator, neither is the cute little flowered mask on the kiddies that grandma made on the Singer.

Ten years as an Army Medic, around the medical community, and I can 100% say that MASKS DO NOT STOP THE SPREAD OF A VIRUS. They live on objects, on your skin, on almost everything you touch everywhere you go. And people touch our faces CONSTANTLY.

Go look at the equipment that virologists wear in the labs when dealing with viruses, and then tell me how a bandanna is just as good.

The BEST outcome is that everyone gets it NOW, (because they ARE going to get it eventually) gets over it or dies, and the antibodies are present large scale in the population.

But hey, let's drag it out for as long as possible because feelings.

Let's drag it out until next year, when it will probably have it's yearly mutation, like every OTHER coronavirus out there, and start this all over again.

Let's at least keep it real HERE. if you are being truly honest, all of you comply because it's easier, because you don't want to get into an argument with a cop, and because you don't want to get kicked out of the store.

Let's stay away from each other, stay inside, wash our hands fifty times a day, get paranoid, and watch our immune systems shrivel up like a raisin.

I swear to God, all these pro-mask arguments boil down to "dear God, won't somebody think of the children?! (or my grandma)"

You are being mentally conditioned for compliance and half of you are all for it.

If masks WORKED I would sing a different tune, but they DON'T.

But you do you. That's the freedom that used to make this country special.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DisgruntledPatriot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 11:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,698 Times in 4,738 Posts

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...biohazards.pdf

here is some good info

if you want to protect yourself from corona virus 99.97 % , you will need a N 100 respirator
The Following User Says Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 02:12 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 28,774 Times in 10,393 Posts

I had to run several errands today so I could run my business, cover the check to sales tax, and turn on my new debit card.

I saw many people walking around with their nose out of the mask, including one very old and somewhat confused gentleman at a bank. He is at extremely high risk for the virus and will likely catch it if he continues to "gear up" with nose exposed, "forgetting mask in car", etc.

One guy kept riding my tailpipe at Walmart. I turned around and asked him to back up. "I don't see a need to do that" he replied.

"Think of it this way" I replied. He had his wife and two children with him. "What if I'm sick?" He immediately backed off and went away.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 02:22 PM
It is what it is

Thanked 1,129 Times in 447 Posts

The mask is a sign of your submission to your masters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0ebb4298193ccf0cd5c8c462e60ad01fedce21303bcec2da90b260f740cdfed9.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	307182  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brad in Seattle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 02:29 PM
Doin it Southern Style

Thanked 1,988 Times in 650 Posts

Work requires or demands them and its a factory BUT they say them cooling neck gaiters are just fine and do the job. I just shake my head. I need my job.

Governor mandated them statewide starting monday when in public. I think it should be my decision and do not like being told i have to. Cops cannot arrest you or detain you but can fine you up to 500 bucks. I want to know who is going to supply my mask. Dont feel I should have to waste my money on them. With my full beard a mask is useless anyways.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arkansas COB For This Useful Post: