Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 07-14-2020, 07:14 PM
3 more years of this?

Thanked 5,202 Times in 1,675 Posts

Advertise Here

I work in a warehouse and they just started to require face masks last week...Im thinking thats about 6 months too late. Anyway I work anywhere from a 10-12 hour shift, plus 90 temps and humidity the masks get soaked with sweat and ill fitting.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to svxak47 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 07:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Yes, yes, and all those people that need a cane to walk around. Just kick that damn cane out from under them. By damn, if they can't walk without a cane, they shouldn't be out in public.
Well they sure as heck shouldn't be walking down an ice covered hill with punji sticks and bear traps at the bottom.

Equivalent of someone who can barely gasp for air exposing themselves to respiratory diseases unnecessarily.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hound Dog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 07:58 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 86,852 Times in 24,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxak47 View Post
I work in a warehouse and they just started to require face masks last week...Im thinking thats about 6 months too late. Anyway I work anywhere from a 10-12 hour shift, plus 90 temps and humidity the masks get soaked with sweat and ill fitting.
I worked a summer at a smelter that was a very hot and humid environment. And it was hard labor. I would have to eat salt pills constantly to stay functional. There were some really nasty acid gases in the air, and lead dust. Lovely place.
The mask I had to wear was at least bearable. An MSA Comfo-II.

https://br.msasafety.com/Air-Purifyi...00000200001020

You need to have a respirator with inlet and discharge check valves, and a proper facial seal. Then it is at least tolerable. But you still have to wipe the respirator out a couple times a day with a wet paper towel or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2020, 11:34 PM
Who Dares Wins

Thanked 1,482 Times in 291 Posts

daddyusmaximus,

Tell me this type of US Army directive was ever put out for the flu? I spent 14 1/2 years in and never, ever saw this type of directive. But of course as a 74D you know better, right?

SECRETARY OF DEFENSE 1000 DEFENSE PENTAGON WASHINGTON, DC 20301-1000
MEMORANDUM FOR CHIEF MANAGEMENT OFFICER OF THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE
SECRETARIES OF THE MILITARY DEPARTMENTS CHAIRMAN OF THE JOINT CHIEFS OF STAFF
UNDER SECRETARIES OF DEFENSE
CHIEF OF THE NATIONAL GUARD BUREAU
GENERAL COUNSEL OF THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE DIRECTOR OF COST ASSESSMENT AND PROGRAM
EVALUATION
INSPECTOR GENERAL OF THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONAL TEST AND EVALUATION CHIEF INFORMATION OFFICER OF THE DEPARTMENT OF
DEFENSE
ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF DEFENSE FOR LEGISLATIVE
AFFAIRS
ASSISTANT TO THE SECRETARY OF DEFENSE FOR PUBLIC
AFFAIRS
DIRECTOR OF NET ASSESSMENT DIRECTORS OF DEFENSE AGENCIES DIRECTORS OF DOD FIELD ACTIVITIES

SUBJECT: Department ofDefense Guidance on the Use ofCloth Face Coverings
The Department of Defense (DoD) is committed to taking every precaution to ensure the health and wellbeing of our Service members, DoD civilian employees, families, and the Nation in response to the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic. DoD supports, and will continue to implement, all measures necessary to mitigate risks to the spread of the disease, consistent with the Department's priorities to protect our people, safeguard our national security capabilities, and support the government's whole-of-nation response.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain, especially in ares of significantcommunity-based-transmission. Militarypersonnel,DoD civilian employees, their family members, and DoD contractors are strongly encouraged to follow CDC guidelines on the use of cloth face coverings in public settings or where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain.

Effective immediately, to the extent practical, all individuals on DoD property, installations, and facilities will wear cloth face coverings when they cannot maintain six feet of social distance in public areas or work centers (this does not include in a Service member's or Service family member's personal residence on a military installation). This includes all:

• Military Personnel
APR O ~ 2020

• DoD Civilian Employees
• Family Members
• DoD Contractors
• All other individuals on DoD property, installations, and facilities

Exceptions to this requirement may be approved by local commanders or supervisors, and then submitted up the chain of command for situational awareness. Security checkpoints may require the lowering of face covers to verify identification.
The Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness will issue updated force health protection guidance on DoD implementation. The Military Departments will issue guidance on wear for Service members. As an interim measure, all individuals are encouraged to fashion face coverings from household items or common materials, such as clean T-shirts or other clean cloths that can cover the nose and mouth area. Medical personal protective equipment such as N95 respirators or surgical masks will not be issued for this purpose as these will be reserved for the appropriate personnel.

The Department will continue to implement force protective measures to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 to our total force and their families, and the American people. The latest DoD policies can be found at https://www.defense.gov/Explore/Spotlight/Coronavirus.

Last edited by Broadwing; 07-14-2020 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: Spacing
Old 07-14-2020, 11:55 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 11,193 Times in 4,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
Personally I could give a rat's butt if you choose to wear a mask.

I do, however, care if the government is deciding to tell me when I MUST wear one... That's basically the issue here.

People on both sides of the issue all claim to have "evidence" that their conclusions are correct. Here's mine... I did 28 years in the military, 24 Army, 4 Air force. For 8 of those years, 4 each Army, & Air Force, my job entailed Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical weapons defense. During that time frame (Pre Y2K, and 9/11) I was trained quite a bit on the threat that we faced from other nation states, and from terror groups. This info included a lot of medical information about biological agents. (to this day my biggest fear thanks to this duty) My security clearance was secret at first, then upgraded to top secret because the information on what other nations had (probably still have) was stuff that didn't need to get out. Though nowhere close to medical dr training, I did learn a lot about these bugs. How they attacked the body, how they were transmitted, vectors that could be used, micron size of the particles, how virulent they were, mortality rates, and a slew of other crap I can't begin to remember now thanks to getting hit with an IED in 2004.

What I DO remember is that something with a low mortality rate like COVID-19 is not a big concern. At least not yet. Maybe if it morphs into something else, or worse... if it gets weaponized into something else. As it is right now, it's far less troublesome than the common flu.

It's new, so it's perfect for being used as a political tool to control people with fear.

This may be a new bug, but like any other... it's not going away. It's here now. Same as the flu. We're gonna be dealing with this thing from now on. Not just till the election... forever... It's not worth destroying our economy over. It's not worth any of the crap they're doing to us over it. There was 1,000 ways to die before, now there's 1,001. Deal with it, and drive on. This last one ain't even scary, unless you let them scare you with it.

BUT, if you want to wear a mask, go for it.

By the way, when you're in the hospital, or the Dr office, and the doc comes in to see you, he might have a mask and gloves on right? Ever notice, that when he leaves, he takes them off and throws them away? When he goes to see another patient he puts on fresh clean ones.

THAT is the proper way to use a mask.

These Nazis trying to get you to wear one all day, every day, at work, at the store, in school... THAT'S control. It has zero to do with preventing the spread of anything... except freedom.

Get COVID, feel like crap, get better, then get on with your life. If you die, tough... you had more chance to die of the flu, or a car crash.

There may very well be a global pandemic one day that will create havoc. Maybe even a man made one (God forbid) with a weaponized super bug. This, is NOT it. That day ever comes, you'll know what fear truly is. That's a genie you can't put back in the bottle.
Exactly. Well said.
Good to see we have others here who arenít so quick to drink the kool aid
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 12:00 AM
Who Dares Wins

I’ll take the cherry flavor thank you very much. In fact I drink a friggin gallon if need be. How about them apple's! Opps I mean Kool Aid!
Old 07-15-2020, 12:02 AM

I wear a mask when required to such as at work. I am also a natural "germaphobe" and don't like the idea of getting sick but rather than get a trendy looking or "fashionable" mask I just don't put myself in situations I should need one. If I had to get on a plane to go somewhere I would wear one as common courtesy but I don't need to fly anywhere so this summer vacation will be a road trip and I'll just camp - no hotels.
One jerk at work got close enough to kiss me - closer than I'm comfortable in normal times and then said "Oh I thought wearing a mask we don't have to distance". Really got my goat last week but there are many things about masks they're just not that great.
A rambling post but hey, I'm online tonight and face masks seem to be a popular topic..
Old 07-15-2020, 12:46 AM
Offline starting sept 1st

Thanked 1,058 Times in 493 Posts

I dunno the benfits of clean air are so horrible. I mean cleaner air free of dust and other particles.

Seriously man has that much of america never worn PPE before. It is mandatory at lots of work sites even without the virus.

People are just stupid and I bet cheap.

These same people probably don't wear underware or condoms either. Total morons.
These are the same idiots who arn't wearing safety glasses while working with power tools.
Ignoramousous not wearing hearing protection when around loud equipment or shooting guns.

If they were advertised as "Free" more people would wear them.

Get your FREE life saving masks here!

If it were a status symbol of wealth some of the hold outs would probably wear them.

If they actually had masks that protected people that wore them rather than other people more people would wear them.

Such a morally debased society.

There is absolutely no reason not to wear a safety mask and so many reasons to wear it.

No brainer here.

It is honesty a form of illness that people would not wear a mask to save other peoples lives.

I bet all those places that banned religious face coverings looking like idiots now.

I really hope people are just too cheap/poor to buy them because the alternative is low IQ.

This is a survivalist / prepper forum people... like seriously, why is this even a discussion?

I have multiple gas masks and had a bag full of N95s way before this even broke out in October.

I am thinking most people aware would not be questioning if to wear a mask but where to buy more from a safe supply source and delivery chain.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to William Ashley For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 01:04 AM
Who Dares Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11
Yes, yes, and all those people that need a cane to walk around. Just kick that damn cane out from under them. By damn, if they can't walk without a cane, they shouldn't be out in public.

That is just about as low as you can go. Absolutely sickening, kidding or not! I hope one day you find yourself needing a cane to get around, then you’ll know what it’s like!
The Following User Says Thank You to Broadwing For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 01:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 76,055 Times in 23,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadwing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11

That is just about as low as you can go. Absolutely sickening, kidding or not! I hope one day you find yourself needing a cane to get around, then youíll know what itís like!
He was being sarcastic to make a point.

*I sometimes use a cane.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 01:29 AM
Only politics *****.

Thanked 8,655 Times in 3,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Because some people are already marginally oxygenating without a mask. Add that mask and they get woozy and do a face plant. Or they get stupid and walk in front of a car.

And the masks are not effective in preventing any virus infection.
Corona Virus average size: 120 nm
Oxygen molecule average size: 292 pm or 0.292 nm

If it stops oxygen, it stops the virus.

Funny how my 60+ year old mother with COPD could wear a mask when she went out, but many healthy men and women in their prime faint when seeing the masks.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 01:34 AM
Green Eggs and Spam

Thanked 10,009 Times in 2,812 Posts

Quote:
...Here's mine... I did 28 years in the military, 24 Army, 4 Air force. For 8 of those years, 4 each Army, & Air Force, my job entailed Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical weapons defense.
The first rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club.

Quote:
...This last one ain't even scary, unless you let them scare you with it.
Get COVID, feel like crap, get better, then get on with your life. If you die, tough... you had more chance to die of the flu, or a car crash.
Fail.

Quote:
There may very well be a global pandemic one day that will create havoc. Maybe even a man made one (God forbid) with a weaponized super bug. This, is NOT it. That day ever comes, you'll know what fear truly is. That's a genie you can't put back in the bottle.
The COVID cat is out of the bag.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sprig For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 01:40 AM
Who Dares Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Dog View Post
Well they sure as heck shouldn't be walking down an ice covered hill with punji sticks and bear traps at the bottom.

Equivalent of someone who can barely gasp for air exposing themselves to respiratory diseases unnecessarily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
He was being sarcastic to make a point.

*I sometimes use a cane.
Still...........I expectEd better from a Highly educated Person! I donít use one yet but I have a close buddy who does and heís been harassed because of his Disability before. To much methane being spewed just over masks!
Old 07-15-2020, 01:09 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,228 Posts

Seriously, is it that hard to stay home if you're afraid of cooties?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRR For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 01:38 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 35,507 Times in 9,578 Posts

I'll put one on if pressed to get in, then as soon as I'm in it comes off and goes back in my pocket. I won't wear one just cause I don't like it. Guess y'all never seen one of these?

Old 07-15-2020, 02:13 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 86,852 Times in 24,895 Posts

Just got back from the gym.

Everyone had a mask on. Everyone had their nose hanging out over top. (Even the front desk people. A few had it just down on their necks.

I was the only one there with a proper respirator and P-100s and actually wore it correctly.

And this is under condition red, mandatory mask and gloves policy.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:17 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 46,569 Times in 14,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_Rafe View Post
Funny how my 60+ year old mother with COPD could wear a mask when she went out, but many healthy men and women in their prime faint when seeing the masks.
I just read a reply from a young woman on the Tulsa World website.
So that she will not be required to wear a mask in public, she is carrying a letter from her chiropractor stating her bad ovaries make it impossible for her to breathe while wearing any type of face covering.
I kid you not, you just can't make stuff up THIS good.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 04:32 PM
Gatorbait

So much ignorance on here by people usually relating some incident they heard about through three distant relatives about something that happened in Korea once about how wearing a mask led to the destruction of 15 villages and the beginning of the End Times. Just wear a mask; it won’t hurt you. Ok, maybe it can possibly hurt 1 in 500 million but you are not one of them. Oh but my doctor threw them away! Yes but he also wore them when it mattered.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arch Stanton For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 04:37 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 35,507 Times in 9,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
So much ignorance on here by people usually relating some incident they heard about through three distant relatives about something that happened in Korea once about how wearing a mask led to the destruction of 15 villages and the beginning of the End Times. Just wear a mask; it wonít hurt you. Ok, maybe it can possibly hurt 1 in 500 million but you are not one of them. Oh but my doctor threw them away! Yes but he also wore them when it mattered.
How about no.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:28 PM
MyPrepperLife

Thanked 6,187 Times in 2,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Ashley View Post
I dunno the benfits of clean air are so horrible. I mean cleaner air free of dust and other particles.

Seriously man has that much of america never worn PPE before. It is mandatory at lots of work sites even without the virus.

People are just stupid and I bet cheap.

These same people probably don't wear underware or condoms either. Total morons.
These are the same idiots who arn't wearing safety glasses while working with power tools.
Ignoramousous not wearing hearing protection when around loud equipment or shooting guns.

If they were advertised as "Free" more people would wear them.

Get your FREE life saving masks here!

If it were a status symbol of wealth some of the hold outs would probably wear them.

If they actually had masks that protected people that wore them rather than other people more people would wear them.

Such a morally debased society.

There is absolutely no reason not to wear a safety mask and so many reasons to wear it.

No brainer here.

It is honesty a form of illness that people would not wear a mask to save other peoples lives.

I bet all those places that banned religious face coverings looking like idiots now.

I really hope people are just too cheap/poor to buy them because the alternative is low IQ.

This is a survivalist / prepper forum people... like seriously, why is this even a discussion?

I have multiple gas masks and had a bag full of N95s way before this even broke out in October.

I am thinking most people aware would not be questioning if to wear a mask but where to buy more from a safe supply source and delivery chain.
Well said!
The Following User Says Thank You to MyPrepperLife For This Useful Post: