Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-20-2020, 02:44 PM
Republic of Texas

Thanked 3,641 Times in 912 Posts

Advertise Here

Just got word that my contacts and daughters glasses are not getting to us until after they reopen.

They're closing up Monday and not accepting any delivers after today.

That part is confirmed. Next part is rumor: anyone hear anything about UPS shutting down? Tech at the eye doctor said it but I haven't heard or seen anything.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OneFrugalPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 02:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,077 Times in 5,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFrugalPrepper View Post
Just got word that my contacts and daughters glasses are not getting to us until after they reopen.

They're closing up Monday and not accepting any delivers after today.

That part is confirmed. Next part is rumor: anyone hear anything about UPS shutting down? Tech at the eye doctor said it but I haven't heard or seen anything.
USPS - not UPS - is refusing to go inside nursing homes in San Antonio. They were told not to fill out questionnaires or have temperatures checked. (I don't know why). They will leave mail outside, though.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to willow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 03:05 PM
I am interrogative, yes.

Thanked 2,725 Times in 683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
Do YOU think you can avoid this virus by hiding out? How long are you going to isolate? And what makes you think it will not get you once you stop? Do you have everything you need for many years? Indefinitely?
I think it's possible to avoid the virus by isolating yourself. It will likely kill me if I get it (I'm 50+, with chronic lung problems; no one's going to waste a ventilator on me) so I have to try. We have enough supplies for six months as long as the utilities stay on. My hope is the infections taper off around the end of summer and we can resupply before a second wave hits in the winter.

My housemate is a math/science teacher and has arranged to tutor her usual students online (the schools are all closed). She might even pick up more work as parents look to supplement homeschooling. The only reason she leaves the house now is to walk the dogs.

Having said that, I'm not doing a very good job of isolating. Some items I ordered online two freaking months ago are still getting delayed (I'm looking at YOU, Amazon and Walmart). That's driving me nuts because we can't have anything delivered to the house and I have to pick things up either at the stores, post office, or Amazon lockers. That was a lot less risky eight weeks back.

I thought today was going to be the last day I had to go out (except for prescriptions, and I can get those at a drive-through pharmacy). I was going to hit Walmart for a pickup, Target for a return, UPS for a return drop-off, and Costco to fill our last gas can. Since I was going into Walmart and Target all suited up I was going to buy whatever groceries I could get in each, too.

I just checked online and one of our orders was delayed again. I try to combine trips and there's no way in heck I'm going out on a weekend so now I have to try and reconfigure all the pickups again. Grrrr.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GrayFoal2 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2020, 03:09 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,338 Times in 972 Posts

Honestly, my primary fears respecting the pandemic is not the Corona Virus, but the potential destruction of the American economy. Italy's economy was on the rocks before this began as was Spain's economy. With the fiscal impact of the pandemic on those two nations alone, the fiscal stability of the entire EU could be endangered. Likewise, China's economy was showing definite signs of weakness prior to the virus impacting Wuhan and there can be little doubt but that China's loss in manufacturing (both short term and potentially long term) will put a serious bite into their GDP. With the world as interconnected financially as it is, a financial virus called economic collapse could genuinely occur.

Then there's the USA. We already borrow 40 cents of every dollar the federal government spends. Now we're shutting down incomes and increasing spending by more than a trillion dollars with the bill now before congress. Meanwhile the fed lowered interest rates near zero again in the hope of encouraging business to borrow more "free" money. If, as some predict, Trump declares a national lock down of non-essential businesses, a whole lot of people are going to go broke! Moreover, if it is true that unemployment claims are going to explode in the next few weeks, what happens when there isn't enough money to pay all those unemployed people?

All-in-all, looks potentially to be pretty darn scary.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to RichardinColorado For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 03:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,964 Times in 1,981 Posts

I wonder if isolation makes us more susceptible if exposed? Does our body build up antibodies when we on occasion pick up a low population of viruses and don't become infected?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 04:14 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,964 Times in 411 Posts

What has been bugging me is the nagging notion that this is an engineered virus. And that means people are cool with just going to work at the bioweapons lab, clocking in, and making ways to potentially wipe out the human species.

How the hell is this even remotely allowed by any government? What person in their right mind wouldn't think this is a bad idea. Gov can actively experiment with deadly weapons that have unknown consequences, and my ass can't drill my own water well without the possibility of going to jail.

And what if we do discover it was a release of a bio weapon, either intentionally or accidentally? What will the consequences be for the responsible party.

The more I dwell on this whole virus thing, the more it looks like the s might actually hit the fan here in the US- something, even as an avid prepper, I never really thought I would see in my lifetime.

A little humorous parody song to lighten the mood.
https://www.spreaker.com/user/980900...ng-my-distance
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 30 Pack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 04:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,964 Times in 1,981 Posts

On the lighter side, Cleanup in the TP aisle. A lady gave birth in a Walmart TP aisle;

https://www.news4jax.com/news/weird-...le-at-walmart/
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 04:22 PM
I am interrogative, yes.

Thanked 2,725 Times in 683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
On the lighter side, Cleanup in the TP aisle. A lady gave birth in a Walmart TP aisle;

https://www.news4jax.com/news/weird-...le-at-walmart/
Quote:
"another lady comes around the corner and she says Iím a delivery nurse, can I help?"
You go into labor in a store and a delivery nurse just happens to walk into your aisle right then? What are the chances?!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GrayFoal2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 04:28 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,964 Times in 411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayFoal2 View Post
You go into labor in a store and a delivery nurse just happens to walk into your aisle right then? What are the chances?!
Well seeing that 90% of the population is evidently in the Walmart TP aisle at any given time now, I'd say pretty damn good chances.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to 30 Pack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 04:44 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 43,371 Times in 9,912 Posts

I'm a generally logical and brave person with confidence and certainty about the future and survival of our nation.

I was worried and saddened and in shock after 9/11/01, but I could "do something" and joined the Army to serve afterwards and deployed to combat and have demonstrated bravery and patriotic commitment. I was concerned during the 2008 financial crisis and thereafter but knew we would recover and generally be OK.

This virus is a global nightmare and I don't know if or how we recover absent a highly effective vaccine. We stand to lose most of our elderly generation because the death % for those over 60 or 70 who get infected is almost 100%. Most of our retirees may die this year!

Our economy is already collapsing. Businesses shut may never recover or reopen. I already know people out of work. Major companies like airlines, manufacturers, etc. are being crushed financially with no end in sight. There's very few safe havens for investing right now. We cannot buy or borrow our way out of this crisis. We could see the stock market just wiped out of trillions if this drags on for several months with people on long-term unemployment with no hope of recovery cashing out and everyone panic selling.

This threatens all of our hospital and medical staff and resources, and anyone who gets injured or ill for any reason, or heck, routine healthcare or having a baby, etc.

This could threaten economic trade war, or actually shooting war, as finger pointing and blame go around and there is scarcity of goods.

Many states reporting police withdrawal, not arresting or responding to non-violent crimes, cities and states going on lockdown... and a massive run on guns and ammo.

Our entire way of life is forever changed, absent radical solutions. Groups, public places, dining, entertainment, gyms, ride-shares, airplane travel, churches, co-living, dating, dog parks, socializing, etc.... all being radically altered with the threat of a death sentence virus.

I'm very concerned about this, and more.

Last edited by Aceoky; 03-21-2020 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: rm off topic
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 05:09 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 43,371 Times in 9,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Pack View Post
What has been bugging me is the nagging notion that this is an engineered virus. And that means people are cool with just going to work at the bioweapons lab, clocking in, and making ways to potentially wipe out the human species.

How the hell is this even remotely allowed by any government? What person in their right mind wouldn't think this is a bad idea. Gov can actively experiment with deadly weapons that have unknown consequences, and my ass can't drill my own water well without the possibility of going to jail.

And what if we do discovery it was a release of a bio weapon, either intentionally or accidentally? What will the consequences be for the responsible party.

The more I dwell on this whole virus thing, the more it looks like the s might actually hit the fan here in the US- something, even as an avid prepper, I never really thought I would see in my lifetime.

It is heartbreaking what must go on in those evil dark labs. I wish it didn't exist. But like many evils of the world and mans' imagination, it does.

This also nags at me.

Nations presumably must study biological threats for defensive purposes. Like a nation builds up nuclear weapons as a threat deterrent, so too governments must do all sorts of nightmarish biological research.

It's my belief, regardless of the studies stating otherwise, that this Wuhan originating virus likely came from a lab and got out by negligence or accident. The Wuhan coincidence cannot be ignored. And the Chinese cover-up is a tell...
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 05:17 PM

I retired from 41 years in the grocery trade last year. Spent my whole career as a meat cutter/market manager. I have been thinking lately that I should go back. My many friends still in the stores are having a really hard time keeping up. They are also not getting any love from the shoppers. I wish I could help without putting my family more at risk.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to miloziffel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 05:18 PM
Republic of Texas

Thanked 3,641 Times in 912 Posts

Quote:
*snip*

I had one of my girls tell me the other day that I "must be handling this with ease" in my own mind because I am a prepper.

I took the time to explain that there is a difference between expecting something to happen/preparing for if it does and watching it unfold.

One is a hypothetical situation. The other is very real.

You aren't the only one who has said the same thing. I said it just this morning.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OneFrugalPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 06:23 PM
boringly normal

Thanked 1,218 Times in 276 Posts

I am already getting tired of family members.....going to turn morning walk into morning and evening walk.

Sounds better than drinking. Well, not really, but walking won't run out.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DenimDave For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 06:56 PM
Para Bellum

Thanked 8,209 Times in 2,564 Posts

Its getting real....

https://streamable.com/ezfos
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TraderBob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 07:01 PM
Survivor

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is 2nd home - Rustbelt is home base
Thanked 5,061 Times in 1,611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost863 View Post
the one thing that really ticks me off about all of this is not the fact that it is so dangerous and deadly, but rather the fact of all of the idiots who think this is just the Flu. It is nothing like the Flu other than it exhibits some of the same symptoms. There is too much empirical evidence to show that this is much worse than the Flu and yet supposed seasoned preppers on this forum are even continuing to spread disinformation about it. They are naive at the very least and at the most are disingenuously dangerous with other people's lives. If they act like this is nothing but the Flu, the chance that they will catch this virus and spread it to others is too great. Just like that comedian that was on the cruise ship that broke quarantine and flew back to the states, if someone dies because of his lack of care for the people of the United States, then he needs to go to prison for the rest of his life and never be released. I feel the same about all of these people who say it is nothing but the Flu. If someone dies because of their lack of consideration then they need to spend the rest of their lives in prison. And for the record, I would feel the same way if it was one of my own sons. That is just too irresponsible and deadly to play around with.
Just saw on TV...4 out of 11 of a family in NJ died of the virus and the rest are not over it either.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slackercruster For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 07:14 PM
Survivor

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is 2nd home - Rustbelt is home base
Thanked 5,061 Times in 1,611 Posts

Quote:

And what if we do discovery it was a release of a bio weapon, either intentionally or accidentally? What will the consequences be for the responsible party.

Yes, constant irritation...on purpose or by nature?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slackercruster For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 07:20 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 46,637 Times in 14,254 Posts

L.A. Times letter to the editor today:
Stay home. Do it for the generation that sacrificed everything in WWII.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 07:22 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 41,948 Times in 8,222 Posts

I am seriously concerned if New York and California do not get control of the situation we are going to see panic on a scale none of us have ever seen before.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 07:33 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 26,093 Times in 6,907 Posts

McDill AirForce Base in Tampa, Florida just reported it's first confirmed case of an active duty Navy member permanently assigned to the base. This was the news feed that just came across my wife's Iphone.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post: