Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-04-2020, 08:35 AM
MyPrepperLife

Thanked 6,223 Times in 2,335 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannygrump View Post
Itís raining more in the Houston area in the last few years.
I wish you could send some of that rain our way! We've had very little rain this summer here in Maine.

I lived in Houston in the early 1980s. Back then, some of the streets would flood after a heavy rainstorm. Is that still happening?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to MyPrepperLife For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 09:09 AM
Possum Lover

Thanked 28,749 Times in 10,377 Posts

Oh, yeah, especially depending on where you live. Basically low income area = flooded streets. One reason paratransit takes itself offline after any heavy rains, because most of the clients are in the poor, flooded, areas and the drivers are always getting stuck in flood waters and wrecking the equipment.

Then I had to ride in the previously flooded out, mold infested vehicles. And I have allergies.

I would rather they just not come, vs. put me through that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 09:10 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,889 Times in 542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPrepperLife View Post
I wish you could send some of that rain our way! We've had very little rain this summer here in Maine.

I lived in Houston in the early 1980s. Back then, some of the streets would flood after a heavy rainstorm. Is that still happening?
Oh, yes. Plenty of flooding and gotten worse. More buildings and parking lots with less locations for run offs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grannygrump For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2020, 09:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,170 Times in 1,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Unicorn View Post
Some districts, and I'm sure more will follow, are setting school buses up with WiFi capabilities and sending them out into neighborhoods to help in this type of situation.
Interesting. Who or how does the school bus obtain the ISP?
The Following User Says Thank You to fistfulladirt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 10:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 25,443 Times in 7,234 Posts

It hasn't rained for several weeks here. We often go July-sept with just a few drops.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 10:42 AM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 12,857 Times in 2,635 Posts

Once the Fentanyl Floyd riots started I largely quit paying attention to the china virus. Whatever the true nature of the virus is, I knew it was going to spread uncontrollably. To see the political and media denial that thousands of people gathered in close proximity have spread the virus is absolutely absurd. The jump in places like Oregon where riots were prolific was easy to predict.

Deaths here in Colorado have remained low. >10 a day, but my family has maintained quarantine regardless. Not a difficult task for us. Our summer has been spent fishing, shooting, quad/dirt bike riding, growing food, fixing fences, making furniture, etc. All stuff we'd normally do. The only thing we've really given up is going to the movies and that won't change even after the pandemic. We're done giving money to woke Hollywood.

I'm expecting a spike in cases to come once the various universities resume. They have students coming in from all over the world, no doubt bringing new strains with them. I know Colorado State University already has an outbreak among student athletes who start early and now it's spreading through their staff. They're not being candid about it with the public either. It's rock and a hard place for them. As a former employee, I know they're horrible with money and the decline in enrollment is economically dire for them. I would not shed a tear to see that institution of indoctrination go bankrupt.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RedTail For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 11:25 AM
Only politics *****.

Thanked 8,657 Times in 3,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
Interesting. Who or how does the school bus obtain the ISP?
Not sure about what you mean, but this can easily work by connecting a decent router and some amplifiers through the neighborhood. Just have it use a/several cell connections, or directly lease a line from the ISP to connect to though wireless is more likely. It won't be a good connection for "normal" use, but set up the router to only connect to the school's system, and it should actually work quite well for it's intended purpose.

Hell, when looking at summer festivals here, they use mobile hotspots using that same system, just coming from the ISP and directly connecting to their cell towers, so it's actually a good connection. Pretty sure stuff like that can be rented or leased.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:34 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_Rafe View Post
Not sure about what you mean, but this can easily work by connecting a decent router and some amplifiers through the neighborhood. Just have it use a/several cell connections, or directly lease a line from the ISP to connect to though wireless is more likely. It won't be a good connection for "normal" use, but set up the router to only connect to the school's system, and it should actually work quite well for it's intended purpose.

Hell, when looking at summer festivals here, they use mobile hotspots using that same system, just coming from the ISP and directly connecting to their cell towers, so it's actually a good connection. Pretty sure stuff like that can be rented or leased.
Iím fully aware of how WiFi works, but there must first be an internet provider. In our rural settings, folks here have kept their copper landlines because cellular service is either sparse, (no towers in the vicinity) or non-existent. There is no cellular service, so, there is no cellular broadband service.
The Following User Says Thank You to fistfulladirt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 12:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 50,108 Times in 14,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTail View Post
Once the Fentanyl Floyd riots started I largely quit paying attention to the china virus. Whatever the true nature of the virus is, I knew it was going to spread uncontrollably. To see the political and media denial that thousands of people gathered in close proximity have spread the virus is absolutely absurd. The jump in places like Oregon where riots were prolific was easy to predict.

Deaths here in Colorado have remained low. >10 a day, but my family has maintained quarantine regardless. Not a difficult task for us. Our summer has been spent fishing, shooting, quad/dirt bike riding, growing food, fixing fences, making furniture, etc. All stuff we'd normally do. The only thing we've really given up is going to the movies and that won't change even after the pandemic. We're done giving money to woke Hollywood.

I'm expecting a spike in cases to come once the various universities resume. They have students coming in from all over the world, no doubt bringing new strains with them. I know Colorado State University already has an outbreak among student athletes who start early and now it's spreading through their staff. They're not being candid about it with the public either. It's rock and a hard place for them. As a former employee, I know they're horrible with money and the decline in enrollment is economically dire for them. I would not shed a tear to see that institution of indoctrination go bankrupt.

There is much in Colorado I wouldnít shed a tear over if it imploded. Most HIGHer education indoctrination facilities and larger government organizations could go bankrupt and fade away and I would drink a beer to celebrate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 12:42 PM
Only politics *****.

Thanked 8,657 Times in 3,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
Iím fully aware of how WiFi works, but there must first be an internet provider. In our rural settings, folks here have kept their copper landlines because cellular service is either sparse, (no towers in the vicinity) or non-existent. There is no cellular service, so, there is no cellular broadband service.
There are some solutions. Satellite connections are one. Had a collegue who had his own wifi at work that way .
There's options for mobile cell towers too.

I don't know what they will use in more rural area's. I think this is more aimed at urban area's to be fair. Technologically, there's no problem though.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:32 PM
Survivor

Quote:
There are some solutions. Satellite connections are one. Had a collegue who had his own wifi at work that way .

I don't know what they will use in more rural area's. I think this is more aimed at urban area's to be fair. Technologically, there's no problem though.
I suppose anythingís possible, as long as thereís taxpayers and free money!
Old 08-04-2020, 06:48 PM
Bug-In Prepper

Thanked 1,210 Times in 492 Posts

I had a "two is one, one is none, and sometimes you really want three" moment today at the grocery store.

I've been wearing an N95 mask to go out and sterilizing it between uses, which is hard on elastic straps. I've been using rubber bands and alligator clips so I can remove/replace them as needed, which on the most part has worked out quite well.

Today, though, I was in the grocery store and *whap* one of the rubber bands broke. That's no big deal, since the other band held it on adequately while I fiddled with the broken one, seeing if I could re-attach the broken end to the alligator clip .. then *whap* the other band broke while I was fiddling, and nothing was holding the mask to my face but my fingers.

As it happened, I'd put another rubber band in my pocket this morning, on a whim. I was grateful for it. Holding the mask on my face with one hand while cutting the new rubber band and tying its ends to alligator clips was tricky and I had a couple of bad moments, but it got done.

Then I was able to use both hands to pull off the two broken rubber bands, tie their longest parts together, and tie them to the other two alligator clips. That got my mask seated properly again.

Lesson one: I'm keeping two spare rubber bands in my pocket from now one, pre-cut. Holding the knife in the hand which held my mask while holding the rubber band in the other to cut it was no fun.

Lesson two: I'm adding another strap to the mask, so that if any two break, there's one still holding it up.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ttkciar For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 07:14 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 28,749 Times in 10,377 Posts

I use rubber bands for counting money, the bank wants the ones to be hundred packed with a rubber band. But I am paranoid about their storage as cats love to chew on them and that is expensive surgery, assuming you can save the cat at all. I am more lax with my pesticides.

Glad you rigged a fix.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 07:49 PM
I am interrogative, yes.

Thanked 2,725 Times in 683 Posts

Those of you who keep backyard chickens: if live animals like chicks and pullets are shipped to your home, how do you decontaminate the birds? Not really concerned about the birds being infected and sick themselves but possibly having been contaminated by someone who has the virus handling them.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:17 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 8,188 Times in 2,338 Posts

I've been hatching our own chicks so I have no advice on that- Sorry

Titles should match the subject being posted.

Post in the proper forum.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aceoky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 10:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 25,443 Times in 7,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayFoal2 View Post
Those of you who keep backyard chickens: if live animals like chicks and pullets are shipped to your home, how do you decontaminate the birds? Not really concerned about the birds being infected and sick themselves but possibly having been contaminated by someone who has the virus handling them.
Evidence is that corona does not spread well on surfaces and is fairly quickly rendered safe by UV and hot dry air.

I would let them run around in the sun for an hour.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 03:31 AM
White Hat

Thanked 12,871 Times in 2,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayFoal2 View Post
I don't handle new chickens that much. And I always wash my hands after handling any chicken stuff.

Not to mention, only chicks I'm raising from babies stay indoors. Grown chickens are kept outdoors.

Pretty sure that chickens don't catch the 'Rona anyway, so I'm not sure what is your concern?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paravani For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 05:49 AM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 40,808 Times in 9,681 Posts

Quote:

Having experience with satellite internet... it's worthless and struggles even with this forum. Cell data is far superior.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 05:55 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
Having experience with satellite internet... it's worthless and struggles even with this forum. Cell data is far superior.
Itís the worst, next to dialup or DSL, but I didnít want to be the first to say it.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:59 AM
Survivor

Quote:

Mobile cell towers require T-1ís or a fiber feed. Out of luck in rural areas.