Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 02-27-2020, 09:51 PM
Hunter, Photographer

Advertise Here

Stores arent being hit here yet. I did notice more dried beans and rice gone than usual, but plenty still around. Of course masks are gone though
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red31 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 09:54 PM
Economist

Thanked 1,061 Times in 275 Posts

Been prepared for over 10 years, and easily sitting on a year or two of supplies, but still can’t resist the urge to buy more stuff I already have. Mostly to hand out, and to avoid having to open up my 5 gallon buckets until later
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Just Me For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 10:04 PM
The Mighty Pen

Thanked 11,907 Times in 898 Posts

Picked up a prescription at Walmart today, not too busy and fully stocked shelves. Since I was in town also stopped at Costco for fresh fruit and veggies. Again, well-stocked and the least busy I've seen it in months.

I didn't look for masks, isn't that why we prep? So we don't have to buy what is in short supply?
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tpals For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2020, 10:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,900 Times in 5,704 Posts

Nitrile exam gloves and artificial sweeteners.

Nitrile exam gloves ordered yesterday and received today.

They are still available. some higher than what I paid for a while ago.

I write that again, they're still available, inexpensive and plentiful, NOW. It maybe a good time to pick up a few boxes.
-
Everyone saw today, some artificial sweeteners are going to be short.

Still available, prices haven't yet jumped.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Prepping For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 10:25 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 43,369 Times in 9,912 Posts

I've had 2 trips to Costco, 3 trips to grocery store, at least 2 gas station trips, and 1 liquor store trip, and 1 trip to Lowes.

No abnormal alarming crowds in any capacity. Saw no significant unusual shopping. I could identify possibly 2 different shoppers at Costco who were clearly "preppers" based on significant LTS food and paper wares. A few comments about what I was buying and why at the cash register. It basically seemed like normal days.

The only observed bare spots on shelves was at Lowes and calling around to Harbor Freight and Home Depot. Masks were dwindling supply and quickly sold out. Walmart was sold out of all masks except cheap dust masks.

Online retailers.

Mountain House had a great sale a few weeks ago and I jumped on it. Now they are reportedly out of stock.

N95 masks either sold out or high priced weeks ago.

Retailers in other areas seem to have fine supply. But I would prepare now for supply chain interruptions.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 10:26 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,014 Times in 280 Posts

Went to Sam's Club yesterday just after middle of the day. Nothing out of the ordinary but saw a few shoppers I suspect were stocking up due to covid. Two guys in business suits, both took a lot of time disinfecting the cart at the door.

Also saw one guy inside open carrying which I have not seen in years. He was with his wife and it looked like they too might have been stocking up.

Overall I did not notice anything out or low in stock at Sam's Club.

From there I went to a super Wal-Mart and the only thing I noted there was a lot of the bottled water was low and the cold/flu liquids were very low stock.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to powderandprimers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 10:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,111 Times in 2,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
We will continue to shop as normal until I know its hit OK. If it does, that's when we will limit our time out and start to rely on short-term pantry supplies.
And HOW are you going to know this? 28days before you start the dry cough?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 10:59 PM
The Legendary

Just came back from grocery store shelves looked to be all stocked few individual items gone or nearly but they were sale items and it was very late in the day. I did see one person clearly panic buying walked by him at the boxes of noodles he had around 10 one gallon jugs of water, two or three big packs of ramen, big bag of rice, big bag of beans and some other things. I didn’t want to stare and had to look quick. He didn’t have a mask or anything like that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colty045 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 11:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 30,366 Times in 7,243 Posts

Nothing here other than the Costco stocked high with items the government recommended. This weekend will be the tell as more and more news articles talk about 2 to 3 weeks of supplies.

I'm not sure if the general public knows what that means.

I'm changing oil in the other half of our cars, but I bought the supplies already. A little early for the normal spring oil change.

I ordered some parts to add to the Jeep but they aren't required. Just something I want and can do if stuck at home.

I need some more popcorn to watch the show now.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 11:21 PM

Hello folks new here but wanted to chime in from the piney woods Texas region,items for"typical" disaster preparedness in LOW/very LOW stock.i.e.toiletries,can goods,rice/pasta etc.that was on monday.dunno.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Thurs one For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 11:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,679 Times in 3,015 Posts

I was at Walmart today, the gallon jugs of distilled water were completely cleaned out. But that has happened before, under normal conditions, so I don't know if it's related. But I suspect that it is. They did still have the gallon jugs of drinking water on the shelf.

The shelf space devoted to dried beans had some big dents in it, but they were not completely cleared out.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 12:29 AM
Trapper

Greater louisville area here. I looked online and in stores for respirators. Sales associates i spoke with seemed to indicate they suddenly were flying off of the shelves, not one indicated that they had been sold out for an extended period of time. They did have more expensive p100 respirators like you would see a professional painter wearing. I checked walmart, meijer, home depot, and ace hardware.

Walmart was almost sold out of rice. All larger 10 and 20lb bags gone, couple of 5lb bags left. Their emergency pails from augasons farms were empty while everything else in the bulk food section was full. The associate i talked to indicated that the supply of those pails is normally pretty limited but they usually have some and their system showed none coming on the next few trucks. Walmart website only shows the item as available in stores, and clearly shows some limited stock available "3 left, order now" then suddenly it wont let you add to cart or check out. I found another walmart in the area that wasnt showing sold out and put in an online pick up at store order. I got a notice a while later that the order was cancelled due to low stock.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hzuiel For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 12:57 AM
Christian Patriot

Food is still on the shelves....Masks are long gone.

Funny part is the N95 mask only blocks .3 microns and viruses are .1 micron so they can still pass through if they are araesolized...now if they are hitchhiking on dust particles, then they could be trapped...another odd thing is people are eating up the masks, yet they can't be eaten and they are leaving the food behind....other thing is to carry around disinfectent wipes to wipe off gas pump handles and to wipe other items down and then sanatize your hands before into the care and bringing items into the home...I recall when I was in the army and we put on the MOPS gear...it was very methodical and we left nothing out of place....you can have all the masks in the world and you can still bring in the virus by your clothes, hair and other body parts...just my two cents on what is going on and seeing holes in the way people are addressing the virus.

Stay strong and keep the ear to the ground and the eye open.

CP1776
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CP1776 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 02:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,342 Times in 1,611 Posts

Local Cash & Carry store (PNW chain restaurant supply) was out of regular lentils Thursday.

Had every other bulk bagged item I noticed & plenty. Pallets of some of there normal specials (50lb rice, Flour etc).

No “need” to shop, and probably shouldn’t have, but wanted some Asian sauces, so stopped in on the way home yesterday am.

Glad I did, picked up “some” par-boil rice bags. Been meaning to give that a try instead of our normal Basmati & Jasmine. Thanks to fellow forum members for the recommendation! Healthier by far. Similar price.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 04:17 AM

I just picked up my click and collect order from Woolies (Australia has 2 main supermarkets, this and Coles!), I needed to grab milk, bananas and apples, so ducked in while they were bringing the trolley out the front.
I wanted to go check the isles, but just after I grabbed the milk this small Asian child started coughing something awful, and I turned tail and bailed! Walked the long way to get to the checkouts and then got the .... out of there. O.o
From what I glanced in my very short trip, everything seemed pretty normal, possibly more people than normal, but I didn't spend time checking out what everyone had in their trolleys.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Holtz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 04:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,814 Times in 2,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Why are y'all still going to the store?
Even if you have to work, why not minimise exposure?
Because even here in the forum, if I had to make a bet, Id say that less than half of the people posting on regular basis have a month worth of food in stock.
Forget about hand sanitizer, resipirators or actual NBC gas masks.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 04:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,814 Times in 2,167 Posts
Default Coronavirus: 12 Food Items you want to Buy and Stockpile RIGHT NOW!

I posted this a couple days ago, anyone that doenst have a month or two worth of food may want to take a look. The idea isnt having anything fancy, but rather budget yet quality food so as to make the most "damage" with whatever limited resources in terms of cash you may have.

For more details and reasons watch the video but here's the quick shopping list before you get quarentined!
1.Rice
2.Lentils (or other beans, but lentils are best)
3.Dry Pasta
4.Tomato Sauce
5.Olive Oil
6.Canned Fruits and Vegetables
7. Tuna (or other canned meats)
8.Tea (or mate)
9. Coffee
10.Salt
11.Sugar
12. Baby cereal food (easy to prepare, feeds babies or sick people, high nutritional value)
Bonus
13. Multivitamins
Of course, you need water which I dont mention here, this video was all about food. And you need means of cooking said food, even if power goes down.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:34 AM
The Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Why are y'all still going to the store?
Even if you have to work, why not minimise exposure?
Fresh Fruit and vegetables, meat, milk, and bread it’s nice to have fresh things.

Last edited by Colty045; 02-28-2020 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: Punctuation
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Colty045 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 07:03 AM

I went shopping yesterday and was observing what people had in their carts. I would say there were about 2 people out of the 7 I looked into their carts were clearly stocking up. My son doesn't think about being prepared and after he watched the news he decided to go purchase some masks. He said that the hardware stores, pharmacies, and big box stores in our county were all out of n95 masks, all he could find were dust masks. He laughed at me for prepping, he's not laughing now.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to compassrose For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 07:09 AM
Offline starting sept 1st

Thanked 1,060 Times in 494 Posts

The only new thing I've noticed in Grocery stores here is the new sticker labels on the chlorox I got.. saying it kills Coronavirus 99.9% of bacteria and germs Extra strength. I got this for my clothes as my last bottle was stolen. I found the label funny. I was going to take a pic. This showed up about two weeks ago though, so these guys were ontop of their game with it.

I am prepparing for a field trip to a ruin site so will be doing a little more shoping for a few more preps for my trip in april soon as I think imports may be effected and a lot of the high tech stuff is likely made in China like backpack solar charge banks and drones (as I'm considering getting a small one for filming I need to do) as I need to do some video work out in some jungle.

So far the only real change I have noticed is on facemasks. with stock gone and prices up. Some companies in the US are starting to ramp up production to offset the loss of Chinese supply so it may not be as bad.

I couldn't help but think this is horrible for the construction industry and trades schools due to the loss of access to PPE.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to William Ashley For This Useful Post: