Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-03-2020, 02:52 PM
What would Mal do

Thanked 8,190 Times in 2,735 Posts

Advertise Here

confirmed Alabama...here in the upper south carolina area, all stores are pretty well at normal levels...employees reporting that they don't always get what's on their truck orders, but that they are keeping shelves stocked...even paper products are now solid again.

as I'm out shopping I'm always observing others..and folks have returned to their normal buying habits..stopping in for enough stuff for the next day's dinner etc.

many stores have removed limits, or at least doubled the limits..ie 2 packs of TP per customer now instead of 1.

I was able to get a large mult-case order of canned veggies in one of the more recent truck orders with my local grocer manager's help.

but other than that, I'm back to just buying extra product each trip..so the supplies have built up now to more than double my originally intended levels
prices of LTS items have held consistent to pre-pandemic, so I've not hesitated to buy extra.

budget wise, I just take the $ I would have spent on the weekly commute to work and put that money towards food, since I'm working 100% remote .
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bighanded For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 03:26 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,668 Times in 818 Posts

Not grocery but...
Fishing supplies are in short supply.

Undershirts are very limited at the 2 Wal-Mart's I went to. Hanes co is making more money from masks than undershirts.

Printers are just becoming available again here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nicktide For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 05:11 PM
Work in progress

Thanked 1,510 Times in 633 Posts

Before the COVID-19 pandemic started, I was able to buy items on sale most of the time. A shopping trip would usually be a 2-3 grocery store stop. I would hit them in the order of lowest price, etc. until my list was filled.

After the panic buying started I would start at a higher priced store, knowing most people where hitting the big box stores and clearing them out. I switched from shopping by sale items, (which didnít exist), to a standing list of items we use often or needed gaps filled. Sometimes items stayed on the list for awhile. I also used online buying earlier in the pandemic to find items that were more rare here.

There was a period from May through June where most things were mostly normal levels. Frozen veggies have usually been a rare sighting and canned veggies were thin on the shelves.

Last week I noticed holes in the shelves again, the missing inventory depended on the store. One might not have paper goods, another pasta and rice, etc. Iím guessing itís how the different stores source their goods. It seems the one-off local stores have been mostly able to keep normal (ish) stock and brands because they donít use a central warehouse system, source more locally and have more than one or two distributors that they use.

Low items last week - oatmeal, paper goods again, dish washing detergent, veggies that are shelf stable or frozen, meats were low - but fish was up.

Farmers markets are going strong, it seems these folks increased their production. Also the regional food market, usually used by restaurant, hotels, etc have been selling to individuals on a cash and carry basis. I have been getting fresh veggies locally and dehydrating or canning them.

Iím in the Northeast.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NyteOwl For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2020, 07:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,094 Times in 2,908 Posts

I just checked the Auguson and Honeyville sites. I could not find food in stock? things are looking rough
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 08:19 PM
Green Eggs and Spam

Thanked 10,009 Times in 2,812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTShawn View Post
...Where things were different though... and I am thinking supply chain cracks are showing, more so than demand. Imported products like olive oils were very low or gone. Oriental section was nearly empty not even soy sauce. Although I believe most of these are made in California....
The Kikkoman main plant is actually in Walworth, Wisconsin. I managed to get a very rare tour of the plant. They are very proud of their antique Japanese presses that they still use for production. I was very impressed with their methods. They brew the sauce in a similar manner as a beer brewery.

Kikkoman does have a secondary plant in Folsom, California. However, the main website lists it as Soy Sauce only as a production item.

For all Oriental items to be missing seems to indicate a problem at both facilities. As well as the facilities of competitors.

Quote:
So, for the first time I am seeing holes not associated with panic buying. I expect it to get worse. Strange times indeed.
Just got back from a resupply run spent at Smith's in Kingman, AZ. It is really odd to me that the Oriental section was also completely empty of soy sauce, and was very barren for other Oriental items.

In the past, I worked part time for an inventory company. This means that I was a paid professional to quantify the amount of goods on a section of shelving. My recent store visit was concerning to me as I went down the first couple of isles. So much so that it prompted me to change my game plan and I made the decision to walk down every isle.

I don't know if what I saw was a temporary product of a snap-shot in time. To me, this decrease in food level inventory is extremely concerning. They are doing their best to hide the lack of inventory as best as they can. They are bringing inventory to the front so that some portions of the shelves still appear to have inventory. Behind those few boxes is just an empty dusty shelf.

The frozen food isles were also disturbing. For whatever reason, frozen veggies are actually more plentiful then in the past, but still not up to pre-COVID levels. The fresh veggie section was okay, but there were holes there too.

There were holes in the pet food section. I don't have a pet so I don't know if these levels are better or worse. I do know, from my inventory experience, that these are not past levels of inventory.

All sorts of weirdness in the cleaning supplies section. Somethings well stocked, some things empty. Didn't spend long enough to work out the details as a couple were spraying some type of chemical cleaner thing onto a shelf front and sniffing it.

Dial hand soap was stacked deep. This was previously completely 100% empty. Hand sanitizer bottles were well stocked and on random stands in several places in the store.

If I had to make a guestimate, it looked to me like the store was only 50-60% stocked of pre-COVID levels.

I'd love to have a look inside WallyWorld, but I'd have to be paid to go.

'Nother thing. Anyone else trying to find vacuum sealer rolls? Anyone else trying to find vacuum sealer rolls only made in the USA? Ziploc used to make them pre-COVID. Even the Ziploc quart size freezer bags were very bare, only 4 boxes I think... and I grabbed two(2).

Smith's had five(5) boxes of Seal-a-Meal/Foodsaver brand of vacuum sealer rolls, made in China. Not a single one of them made it into my cart.

For anyone else looking, I could not find a roll anywhere. However, I did find this:
Sta-Fresh 8" x 12" Vacuum Sealer Bags Made in the U.S.

TLDR; long I know. The bottom line is that my Grevcon level is going up. It appears there is the potential for food shortages in the future.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sprig For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 09:21 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,891 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprig View Post
The Kikkoman main plant is actually in Walworth, Wisconsin. I managed to get a very rare tour of the plant. They are very proud of their antique Japanese presses that they still use for production. I was very impressed with their methods. They brew the sauce in a similar manner as a beer brewery.

Kikkoman does have a secondary plant in Folsom, California. However, the main website lists it as Soy Sauce only as a production item.

For all Oriental items to be missing seems to indicate a problem at both facilities. As well as the facilities of competitors.

Just got back from a resupply run spent at Smith's in Kingman, AZ. It is really odd to me that the Oriental section was also completely empty of soy sauce, and was very barren for other Oriental items.

In the past, I worked part time for an inventory company. This means that I was a paid professional to quantify the amount of goods on a section of shelving. My recent store visit was concerning to me as I went down the first couple of isles. So much so that it prompted me to change my game plan and I made the decision to walk down every isle.

I don't know if what I saw was a temporary product of a snap-shot in time. To me, this decrease in food level inventory is extremely concerning. They are doing their best to hide the lack of inventory as best as they can. They are bringing inventory to the front so that some portions of the shelves still appear to have inventory. Behind those few boxes is just an empty dusty shelf.

The frozen food isles were also disturbing. For whatever reason, frozen veggies are actually more plentiful then in the past, but still not up to pre-COVID levels. The fresh veggie section was okay, but there were holes there too.

There were holes in the pet food section. I don't have a pet so I don't know if these levels are better or worse. I do know, from my inventory experience, that these are not past levels of inventory.

All sorts of weirdness in the cleaning supplies section. Somethings well stocked, some things empty. Didn't spend long enough to work out the details as a couple were spraying some type of chemical cleaner thing onto a shelf front and sniffing it.

Dial hand soap was stacked deep. This was previously completely 100% empty. Hand sanitizer bottles were well stocked and on random stands in several places in the store.

If I had to make a guestimate, it looked to me like the store was only 50-60% stocked of pre-COVID levels.

'Nother thing. Anyone else trying to find vacuum sealer rolls? Anyone else trying to find vacuum sealer rolls only made in the USA? Ziploc used to make them pre-COVID. Even the Ziploc quart size freezer bags were very bare, only 4 boxes I think... and I grabbed two(2).

Smith's had five(5) boxes of Seal-a-Meal/Foodsaver brand of vacuum sealer rolls, made in China. Not a single one of them made it into my cart.

For anyone else looking, I could not find a roll anywhere. However, I did find this:
Sta-Fresh 8" x 12" Vacuum Sealer Bags Made in the U.S.

TLDR; long I know. The bottom line is that my Grevcon level is going up. It appears there is the potential for food shortages in the future.
Iím not going inside any store but doing pickups and find it unnerving that some areas havenít caught up. Iím not seeing excessive lines for pickup nor am I seeing anyone buying huge amounts of groceries. Supply should have caught up in most areas.

Back in October and November folks across the country were showing empty veggie canned goods. This was on multiple utube channels. It was from the largest chains to the small private stores. It was in all parts of the country. There were some gaps in fresh produce and in the frozen food sections but mostly in canned veggies. I expected veggie shortages but am surprised paper products arenít in better Shape. Iím also surprised about some of the basic chemicals and cleaners. These areas should have caught up.

There are a number of canners who are buying commercial products and rescanning into smaller sizes. I bought a box of 80 rolls of Scott for $40 from Amazon which is a commercial product. Iím telling people I like it rough. Lol. We should have alcohol all over the place. Basic chemicals are made here in the US.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grannygrump For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 12:06 PM
democrats = Hydra

Thanked 10,444 Times in 3,888 Posts

frozen string beans hard to find

here in Merryland we have the hurricane complicating things

Last edited by Sailorsam; 08-04-2020 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: add content
The Following User Says Thank You to Sailorsam For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 12:21 PM
democrats = Hydra

Thanked 10,444 Times in 3,888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCalHippie View Post
Has anyone else noticed that more and more canned foods are being "canned" in plastic tubs? I have no idea how they do it because vegetables need to be pressure canned to get hot enough to be safe.

I haven't bought any because there is no way they can possibly have the shelf life that metal cans have.
I'm guessing so microwavable

I don't use mine much. I guess a lot of these non-cookers do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sailorsam For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 02:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 29,958 Times in 11,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorsam View Post
I'm guessing so microwavable

I don't use mine much. I guess a lot of these non-cookers do.
I could easily live without one, but it is handy to reheat some things in. But for us, that does mean transferring from plastic storage container to glass dish for heating. Plastic is not allowed in the microwave.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 02:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,178 Times in 1,597 Posts

Stocking up on non-perishables, we’re coming up on flu season. I think it might get crazy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fistfulladirt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 02:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,178 Times in 1,597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCalHippie View Post
I could easily live without one, but it is handy to reheat some things in. But for us, that does mean transferring from plastic storage container to glass dish for heating. Plastic is not allowed in the microwave.
Donít know what youíve got Ďtill itís gone. Our over the range GE just died after 20 years. Iíve still been putting food inside to heat up, doh! Change out this weekend. Weíve been using the air fryer in the mean time.
The Following User Says Thank You to fistfulladirt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 04:59 PM
White Hat

Thanked 12,871 Times in 2,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprig View Post
Quote:
...Where things were different though... and I am thinking supply chain cracks are showing, more so than demand. Imported products like olive oils were very low or gone. Oriental section was nearly empty not even soy sauce. Although I believe most of these are made in California....

Well now y'all have got me curious to visit my local Chinese mega-market. Can I still find my favorite chili pastes for cooking fabulous Indian and Thai food? Good thing I stocked up, if not. They do keep forever, but I prefer my tamarind seeds fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprig

Quote:
So, for the first time I am seeing holes not associated with panic buying. I expect it to get worse. Strange times indeed.

I don't know about your climate, but it's ****ing HOT here right now.

And when it's this hot, I try not to use cooking methods that will fight with my air conditioners. That means no radiant cooking at all, and certainly no conventional oven.

Summer means microwave, induction, and electronic pressure cooking ONLY. And most folks don't have an induction cooker or ePC, so they're microwaving everything they can.

Thus the "shortage" of all things frozen. Even in the best of times, my well-stocked city supermarket had trouble keeping favorite frozen items on the shelf.

Quote:

This is true everywhere in the nation, I'm sure. We only see sporadic appearances of our favorite cleaning supplies, and sanitizer is so pricey I refuse to buy more than one. I rarely use it anyway.

Oddly, stores seem to be stocking only ONE bottle of anything at a time. They have no limits on purchases... But just one bottle on the shelf. This has happened so often that I suspect they've hired extra personnel simply to refresh the shelves every time that one bottle sells.

Same thing happens in fresh food. I buy the minimum three packages to get the sale price... And three packages is all the stock that was on the shelf. This has happened the last few times I went shopping. So I wonder... Do they put out more than 3 packs at a time?

Quote:
If I had to make a guestimate, it looked to me like the store was only 50-60% stocked of pre-COVID levels. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.survivalistboards.com/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.survivalistboards.com/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.survivalistboards.com/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]

Smith's had five(5) boxes of Seal-a-Meal/Foodsaver brand of vacuum sealer rolls, made in China.
I stocked up on large vacuum sealing Mylar bags years ago. Didn't use them, still have them handy.

Have Siberian blood in me, so I plan on eating as my ancestors did... Mostly meat and potatoes in the winter, with squashes and cabbage dishes to round it out. I take daily vitamins and have plenty of high quality protein and long-term storage carbs stocked up, so I'm not worried about nutritional deficiencies.

Fresh food has been plentiful this summer in spite of spotty availability of other items, so I haven't had to dig into my preps. They're still there whenever we need them.

My philosophy has always been to buy and stock up when you see it, so you still have some left if it's not on the shelf. In my city we haven't had any shortages that lasted longer than three months, so I never even came close to running out of toilet paper.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paravani For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 05:45 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 28,774 Times in 10,393 Posts

I got my Spic and Span antibacterial spray cleaner. They had the urinary formula cat food in my brand. They had the stuff he wanted (shelf stable and canned food). They did not have bar towels which I use for cleaning but they had washing soda which I did need, etc. I even got my hair cut. The hairdresser looked pretty discouraged and said business has been terrible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 07:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 39,167 Times in 9,232 Posts

So, after the Great Toilet Paper Shortage of 2020, Mrs. AZ_HighCountry was at the grocery store yesterday morning. Now, mind you, we are well stocked when it comes to clean up on the back aisle. But, more as a joke, she bought a 4-pack of TP for me to put in the hall bathroom. It was on CLEARANCE!!! A 4-pack for $1. 4 normal sized rolls.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 07:54 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
So, after the Great Toilet Paper Shortage of 2020, Mrs. AZ_HighCountry was at the grocery store yesterday morning. Now, mind you, we are well stocked when it comes to clean up on the back aisle. But, more as a joke, she bought a 4-pack of TP for me to put in the hall bathroom. It was on CLEARANCE!!! A 4-pack for $1. 4 normal sized rolls.
Right in the middle of the TP shortage, I had to make an emergency run to Walmart for something (Wife classed as an emergency...so it was lol). I passed by the TP aisle and there were several cases of the generic TP 4 packs for 69 cents. I bought one (the limit) to be funny. I ended up giving it to a 20-something girl at work that was complaining about not being able to find any when I was working on her computer. It was funny how happy she was to get it. Wife wouldn't have used it anyway. She is loath to use anything but her brand.

It was amazing to see people that could not find stuff, but when I talked to them, they basically only went to their normal store and gave up. No shopping around. When flour and such was hard to get here, I picked up 4 5 lb bags at Dollar General one day. Their aisle looked untouched. Same way at Walgreens in the food aisle. It is like a lot if people just never thought to go one more step to find what they needed. Sad sign on our society. I know some places are more expensive, but if you need something, what is a couple dollars when you have no idea when things are getting back to normal. There might be a time in the future you would give your life savings for a loaf of bread or bag of rice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ronald_55 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 08:25 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,128 Times in 872 Posts

Much of my extended family works, have kids, babysit etc.
Due to there full schedules shopping of any kind is a real chore for them, being tired, only able to shop late in the day etc.
Shopping late sucks, everything has been picked over, items in short supply for anyone else are now out of stock for late shoppers.
I try to get lists of items that family needs that might be in short supply.
I am now retired so can shop in the early Am when stock is fresh on the shelves, lol if items are currently in stock. I can often find items that the kids can not due to my open schedule and few outside responsibilities.
I would recommend that if you have extended families or a group that you might try sharing lists of needed items.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stinky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 08:36 PM
MyPrepperLife

Thanked 6,250 Times in 2,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post
I just checked the Auguson and Honeyville sites. I could not find food in stock? things are looking rough
I haven't checked the Honeyville site, but I'm on the Augason site now. I see that just about everything is out of stock. I want some #10 cans of Augason powdered milk.
The Following User Says Thank You to MyPrepperLife For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 08:54 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,891 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPrepperLife View Post
I haven't checked the Honeyville site, but I'm on the Augason site now. I see that just about everything is out of stock. I want some #10 cans of Augason powdered milk.
Honeyville is mostly out of everything as a month ago. I check every few months out of curiosity. I had bought a case back n October it was mixed green beans and corn. I donít really need anything. Or I hope I have enough of lts. I guess if food availablity tanks to nothing weíll find out.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,171 Times in 3,989 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPrepperLife View Post
https://smile.amazon.com/Augason-Far...592299&sr=8-21

Amazon has plenty of Augason Farms stuff in stock, though the prices are higher than I'd like. But this milk seems reasonable.

I have not tried this one. I have tried their Morning Moo and was pleased with it, though that was unavailable right now.

If you like Chocolate, that is still available, though at like $20 a can. I like their chocolate.

If you like NIDO, the 3.5lb cans are less than $14. https://smile.amazon.com/NESTLE-NIDO...23&sr=8-5&th=1
The Following User Says Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 10:42 PM
Hiker

Thanked 2,322 Times in 483 Posts

Way too much information, but absolute truth: I've had the same roll of toilet paper in the holder in my bathroom since, February? The moment people started hoarding tp, I stopped using it.

I've had bidet attachments on my master bath potty for *years.* Love it, will never be without it.

I favor the simple stainless steel variety without blow dryers, doesn't require electricity, etc. Husband did buy the extra supply line and hooked it up to the hot water supply in the adjacent sink.

Blast yourself clean, pat dry with a wash cloth, toss yesterday's wash cloth in the washer each morning and put out a fresh one.

We have an extra bidet attachment that we brought from our previous house when we moved here full time. I have encouraged Husband to install this bidet attachment to the potty in his bathroom, i.e. the hall bath.

Husband demures.

The hall bath contains a water closet for the potty, and the vanity with the sink and the hot water supply is several feet away, not within the water closet, etc. Running a hot water supply line to the bidet attachment in the hall bathroom would mean running it under the house, and then drilling through the floor or similar to get the hot water line attached to that bidet.

It seems like a lot of trouble, a lot of intrusion for an appliance that likely would not convey if we decide to sell this house (who wants a used bidet attachment? not us...)
and then you have the risk of it freezing under the house in a particularly brutal winter, etc.

I reminded Husband that I most frequently don't bother with the hot water at all on mine. We have an on demand water heater, and it takes a bit to get hot water. Unless one happens to catch it just right, i.e. the shower is warming up anyway, or someone else is taking a shower, or the dishwasher is filling, etc. etc. the water heater has already been invoked and is pumping out hot water anyway, you would essentially sit there blasting your butt, waiting for warm water. I most definitely have better things to do.

I've gotten so inured to it that I just blast away with cold water for a moment or two and move on about my day.

Husband is so very not interested in a cold water booty blast. I think it's due to an intractable case of Nass. I'm pretty sure he thinks he'd die of hyperthermia. (No chance with me. I have enough insulation in my trunk for both of us.)

So right now and for the past several months *all* of the tp usage in our house is by Husband- but given that he's a guy and the plumbing is inherently different, his tp usage is typically much lower than mine anyway.

I just don't understand why more people didn't convert to bidet attachments...???

Now that I'm completely converted, I'll probably never return to tp at home. I'd always used the bidet anyway. I've simply changed how I pat dry afterwards.

Given that we are on a septic system, keeping tp out of the septic tank is a good thing.

We have well water, so other than the electricity used to pump the water, the resource is free. One wash cloth per day is hardly impacting our electric bill in terms of washing and drying- and we've also converted back completely to air drying laundry.

So this is a net cost savings for us, and very nearly a gross cost savings.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OldSoul For This Useful Post: