Advertise Here

https://www.thirdmindbooks.com/pictu...g?v=1483733803
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2020, 05:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 25,418 Times in 7,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herkemer View Post
Actually, leave the first second you have a chance to leave. Until then, yeah, shelter up.
This is the problem with that.

The Bomb goes off ten miles away. Your house survives with just broken windows. You see the mushroom could rising in the distance and you can tell the wind is blowing your way.

You have half an hour until the fallout starts.

Do you get in your car and try and out run it?.....knowing that if you get stuck in traffic for any reason you will be in your car when the fallout starts dropping on you.

Or do you spend that half hour moving stuff into your basement, knowing the protection factor will not be excellent, but will be MUCH better than sitting in your stuck car.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 08:49 PM
Shill for the Federal Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
This is the problem with that.

The Bomb goes off ten miles away. Your house survives with just broken windows. You see the mushroom could rising in the distance and you can tell the wind is blowing your way.

You have half an hour until the fallout starts.

Do you get in your car and try and out run it?.....knowing that if you get stuck in traffic for any reason you will be in your car when the fallout starts dropping on you.

Or do you spend that half hour moving stuff into your basement, knowing the protection factor will not be excellent, but will be MUCH better than sitting in your stuck car.
I was pretty straightforward....Leave the first moment you can. Does what you describe sound like that?

To Quote myself
"Until then, yeah, shelter up."

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Shelterup then leave? Yeah...thats the ticket
Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM
BASS

Thanked 3,512 Times in 1,322 Posts

Our location in between Ground Zero for several targets. There is no where to go..... Head East and hit the Atlantic in 4 miles.... All roads will be blocked. I will close off all I can in the basement. That is where 95% of the food and water is. I have plans for bathroom needs and the items to do it. First I will fill every container I have with drinking water. Second take clothes; bedding and linens down stairs. Third: Bring in the food and ice from our outside patio third fridge/freezer. Have a drink and check my lists of "Things to Do". Oh yes, move the bar downstairs. Work from the lists and add more as memory allows. There is always something to go on the "Oh yeah lists".

DO NOT OPEN THE FRIDGE OR FREEZE. Closed it will keep foods cold much longer. You should have a good idea of what is in them so decide first what you want. Open the Fridge/Freezer; grab what you want and close it.

I doubt the cell lines will be open with everyone trying to call family and friends. I will send texts if I cannot get through on my cell. That may work better? Cook a meal or at least start one. Make it simple and fast to fix. Paper products will be must have items. Move them downstairs. Bring in my carpenters tool box. It is extensive and can allow me to do many window and air and door closings to protect us as best I can. Grab materials from the storage area under the house. Nails; screws; chicken wire; stapler and staples; caulking; plastic sheeting; a roll of insulation; duct tapes; battery screw guns, (plug them in to fully charge). The will power fail, is out take military surplus wood stove downstairs along with ducting materials. I maybe able to connect to the chimney and heat the basement area. Grab the smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors and relocate then downstairs. One big problems is getting firewood in the basement. That is something to consider...

Watch/listen to the news for the latest information. If the news for your area is good take a shower. A lot depends on where you water comes from. Ours is from deep wells. It maybe the last one you have for a long... time.
Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM

Not sure I want to be around after a nuclear war.

At least if you're at ground zero, you won't see, hear or feel anything.
You won't even know you're dead.
Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 86,996 Times in 24,926 Posts

Fallout is very heavy. All you need is wet sheets draped over the doorway.
And a good decontamination shower.
A radiation meter would not be bad to have.

A mask is pretty much useless unless you are outside walking around trying to maximize your exposure.

And of course

The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM

Cover your ears
Close your eyes
Put your head between your knees

.......and kiss your arse goodbye
Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,123 Times in 6,126 Posts

Best advise I can give is to first make things right with God.
Every thing else is secondary if necessary at all.
The probability of a nuclear event has existed for decades and is not likely to change.
Not that it can't happen, it can , that is what makes it more real.
If you own your property having an under ground shelter is practical and there are government plans for such.
You need several feet of dirt over head and keep in mind that your neighbors will want access when the time comes. How many hundred can you prep for?
There are a number of companies building shelters you might look into.
Running may not ba an option seeing it is difficult to run if every one else is doing the same thing. Plenty of movie examples "Armageddon"
Point is you do your best for your family your future and the future past the holocaust and know what to do to thrive from there on.
I am building green houses and with time an under ground shelter.
No matter what the disaster, gardening is going to be critical, and if you don't know any thing about gardening let me tell you the learning curve is long. it's not easy.
Having a reserve of fuel and the means to heat your home and cook and purify water, for an indefinite period of time are critical. Electronics may well be dead cell towers shot and communications limited. Amateur radio is good but no good if you don't know the people your are listening to. This takes time to learn. good people and bad can get radios.
The world will change radically and as you can see the radicals are quite willing to abuse the opportunity. Those of the strongest discipline can restore the future, but the time of the pacifist conservative is over. He will die.