**Ladies Section** I'm pretty sure the price of meat butter, and eggs will go up soon - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here

Old 10-15-2019, 02:11 AM
Republic of Texas

Thanked 1,602 Times in 453 Posts

Advertise Here

Does anyone know of good instructions for canning on a camp stove? We have a glass top stove with a temperature regulator so I can't can right now.

I do, however, have a camp stove I can use. I've just never done it and am unsure about it?

I miss canning.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 04:22 AM
Trying to Catch-up

Thanked 35,185 Times in 15,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFrugalPrepper View Post
Does anyone know of good instructions for canning on a camp stove? We have a glass top stove with a temperature regulator so I can't can right now.

I do, however, have a camp stove I can use. I've just never done it and am unsure about it?

I miss canning.

Try canning water on the camp stove and see if it will work. That way you aren't wasting food.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kokosmom2 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 08:14 AM
Off the leash

Thanked 2,068 Times in 874 Posts

I don't know about canning on a camp stove, we've never tried that. But, we use the propane base that comes with those big turkey frying pans. It holds a big canner perfectly and just uses a standard size propane bottle. We have used it outside and inside.

It doesn't heat the house up as much as having the kitchen stove on long term and since we just sit it right next to our wood stove we can sit at our table and watch it. No running back and forth to the kitchen to keep and eye on it or having to stay in there.

In the summer we have backed one of our wood hauling trailers up under our car port and set the base and canner on it. Then we just kick back in lawn chairs and relax while things are canning. A few years ago when we had a big garden we'd be canning one canner full of green beans while we were snapping the next ones to go in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrs.sardog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 01:04 PM
Republic of Texas

Thanked 1,602 Times in 453 Posts

Thanks Mrs. Sardog and KokosMom.

The stove we have is one that I've done the research on and CAN be used for canning. I think it's more me being leery of it. I've always canned on an actual stove so I find it a bit daunting to use a small burner on a counter top for that long.

In any case, I'm dragging it out today. Hit apples on markdown and apple butter sounds amazing right about now, lol.

Will do water at first to be sure there aren't any adjustments I need to make. That's actually how I taught myself to can years ago, lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to OneFrugalPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM

No worries. Just go into "frugal mode". Of course, you will have to get your hands dirty....

1. never pay full price. shop sales, buy in bulk at sale prices, then freeze/can surplus. A good "dent room" at a canning company is worth traveling to for $6 a case veggies in dented cans (inspected before sale). Check company stores at food manufacturers that sometimes sell cosmetically imperfect but still nutritious foods (spaghetti bends, crooks where sausage as hung over a rack, improperly trimmed produce, dented or mislabled cans, for example)

2. go back to my "the budget is in the crapper cookbook" for rock bottom cheap recipes from wartime rationing days, the great depression, or the food stamp challenge, for new ideas. Been saving those recipes for under $1 for years now, and many are comfort foods as well. Make that meat/eggs/cheese/milk stretch.

3. increase the garden and orchard, preserving surplus or swapping for eggs with the farmer down the road. Offer to glean (pick up unused) apples, or pick the corners of commercial veg fields where the mechanical pickers can't drive. Offer to take produce overloads at the local truck scale where they have to remove overloads before proceeding. I have found mountainous piles of corn, potatoes, and other produce in such places, free for the removal (if the food pantry does not have someone available to get to it first). They have had to beg folks to take the surplus at times!

4. hunt, trap, fish. lots of meat if you know what to do with it. those "evil" trappers have discovered than many fur bearers are also edible and delicious to boot - if you know someone, perhaps they will sell you some meat, or you can barter for some. If you find out what invasive species are edible you can harvest all you want without legal trouble (asian carp, garlic mustard, and the like). And many states do not regulate what you trap or shoot on your own property (if you have room to shoot, that is, otherwise live traps and a .22 are more practical).

5. Similarly learn what wild edibles grow in your area and utilize them. Many ladies canned weeds during the depression when the drought destroyed their gardens. Crab apples make superb jellies, many are sweet for sauce as well. Berries are free for the picking and worth the scratches. Jerusalem artichokes grow all over like, well, weeds, and are delicious AND perennial. Many greens, tubers, nuts and fruits can be had once you know what to look for (even in the city).

6. Most importantly, WASTE NOTHING. Save fats for cooking so you do not need to buy them; make bone broth; chop leftover meats for soups, casseroles, stir-fries, burritos, wraps, egg rolls....

(I am so glad my parents were depression children & taught me what they had learned...THANKS MOM & DAD)

oh, btw, frugal prepper, I have canned using a 2nd hand single electric burner aka hot-plate. Cheaper than a camp stove. A new one is $20 if you want to go top drawer.
Old Today, 12:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,762 Posts

Prices here have gone crazy in both directions, but mostly up.

Butter has doubled in price but the cheap, poorer quality chicken quarters in bags are $.39 this week.

A month ago, I found cheap fatty cuts of beef perfect for keto exceptionally cheap, as was the 10-pound bags of fatty ground beef for about $12.

Cheap cheese, both 8 oz. bar and grated bags are $1.77 and I think the usual price is $2.77.

I found a couple of medium-sized containers of sour cream for $.79 each and some of the produce, notably cauliflower, are so expensive that I decided to NOT make my keto cauliflower pizza. It's weird.

Sometimes it's expensive to eat keto and other times, it's ridiculously cheap.