Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Entered Apprentice JBHK1976 General Discussion 12 05-08-2014 03:46 AM
just wanted to say hey! danrunner New Member Introduction 11 02-13-2012 02:15 AM
Wanted to say hey Wicked New Member Introduction 8 02-08-2012 01:57 AM
An/gsq-187 wanted Xironworker Looking for - want to buy 0 12-27-2011 01:11 PM
Help wanted / Work wanted Top Sgt General Discussion 14 08-19-2011 08:35 PM
Just wanted to say hello sean7278 New Member Introduction 15 06-10-2009 11:17 AM
I wanted to do this redflag General Discussion 1 03-26-2009 08:44 PM
Wanted BOP:s LOL speedofl33t Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 1 09-21-2008 01:57 PM

Old 12-20-2016, 04:00 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 8,286 Times in 3,206 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEPOE View Post
Read the thread - this was covered and commented on over and over and over.
I did read this thread. As hard as it was to ....lol
She actually believed someone as an apprentice would work building her home for no pay....just for the luxury of doing it....lol
Total nonsense....the whole thread.....
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2019, 09:28 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,074 Times in 612 Posts

Just an update for all of the naysayers. This has worked out extremely well for me. Any regrets? Nothing that would make me wish I hadn’t embarked on this. One person has died on the land (old age). He came out destitute but like minded. He was part of the family out there with the others and buried at the cemetery about .5 mile away.

One couple donated their time, effort, and money to have the land surveyed and helped me split it into parcels after I acquired an additional 80 acres. They’re purchasing their 5 acre plot for a fair price. They live there, I don’t. I may visit once a year now. Another younger man still lives out there and gets by ok. It’s tough to have a job while living at this BOL location. Snow and rain can cause transportation issues lasting days. He survives on intermittent work of odd jobs. I pay him to work the land, but at that I limit him to $100 per month. I’m not employing him but he keeps the cactus pulled and prepares garden areas.

I haven’t had to ask anyone to leave. No one has ever felt enslaved. I was reading the old posts of people making me sound like a lunatic. I believe most people are good. I didn’t bring in anyone without vetting them. Everyone seems to get along. They keep watch over my stuff while I’m gone. I have peace of mind where I didn’t before. I have since divorced and I’ve felt even more fortunate now knowing I made the prep of people at my BOL.

It wasn’t always easy and one person left after realizing it wasn’t for him. Living off grid isn’t for everyone. Thanks to everyone who literally made me laugh reading this thread over again. I never had a doubt. I’d do it all over again. Having people on my BOL has been my best prep yet. It’s a prep that can’t be bought and people are necessary. Sure, plan on finding out who you can trust later when the SHTF, but I kind of like to know before.

People came out. They worked without pay to learn a trade. They used that same trade to build a place for themselves. The structures are not movable. They’ve trusted me to build without risk of being kicked off the property. That was never my goal. My goal was to have people who wanted to stay. It’s working. It has been affordable for everyone. Storage units have been built by one guy and he rents them. He’s making money by living there for nearly free. He has rented a unit to a hunter to stay in overnight. With a little more development I think he’ll have a decent Airbnb going.

A divorced woman with two small kids living in a mobile home with an addition. She didn’t have a place to go and receives $400 per month child support does well there. She grows a garden and sells at the farmers markets in town. She always seems to have plenty to get by. It’s easy when your monthly rent is $5, no utilities, etc. The neighbors helped her build the addition in cordwood.

The place is unassuming. A few small homes, out buildings, garden, etc. Low traffic you can see coming from over a mile away, set on a small hill overlooking valleys filled with deer and antelope playing, literally. Water 3/4 mile away from a well.

No regrets. My BOL has full time residents! Sure, things could have gone wrong. I think things through. This was intentional and I didn’t take every person who expressed interest. I didn’t take people who begged. I chose people who I felt had the best chance of being permanent. I now have 140 acres with 16 people tending it and working it. There are 5 others using it for their BOL but not residing there. They pay residents to tend to their needs there. The resident provide services to the non residents even purchasing stockpiles and keeping their places secure. I’ve profited in ways I could have never imagined. I have true security.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ellen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2019, 10:08 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,925 Times in 10,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
Just an update for all of the naysayers. This has worked out extremely well for me. Any regrets? Nothing that would make me wish I hadnít embarked on this. ...
I may have been one of the naysayers (can't recall and not interested in re-reading the Thread). However you seem to be happy with how it has gone. Sorry about your divorce.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2019, 10:14 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

1. Why do people always want something for nothing?

2. Can this thread die please?

PS. We have people go out and help others all the time. These people actually need our help... it's called Habitat for Humanity. I guess my only question is: What did you do to contribute to your own cause?
Old 10-01-2019, 07:20 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
1. Why do people always want something for nothing?

2. Can this thread die please?

PS. We have people go out and help others all the time. These people actually need our help... it's called Habitat for Humanity. I guess my only question is: What did you do to contribute to your own cause?

1. I’m not sure who got something for nothing. Are you angry or jealous? I’m not sure of the problem either way.

2. Kev, by all means kill it if you’d like. No sense sharing what works and what doesn’t. Honest, it doesn’t bother me either way. It was a huge risk but it’s working.

I shop at Habitat twice a month, furnishing two homes with them. I’m not sure of your point on the matter. I helped three families build homes after mine was built. I never saw you helping, so we’re both about the same bad.

I contributed 50 acres and then bought 80 more and brought in more families who would otherwise not have a BOL. I suppose to me BOL isn’t just cheap talk; I wanted it and I made it happen. No one has gotten anything for free. I contributed materials, I contributed machinery.

True, I don’t live there but people do. It’s not free. Everyone pays rent. I have no clue what’s going on there except for a once a month update by one resident. She provides details and suggestions; she gets used rent for her effort. When the residents wanted to put in a 1.5 mile road for utility, walking, ATV, etc they offered to pay for it without compensation. I kicked in $200 of the cost, they covered the remainder.

If there is a place for free, sign me up. This place has literally been a sacrifice of blood, sweat, and tears. But we have people, goats, chickens, a cow, and no bills (aside from rent and taxes).

Haters gonna hate.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ellen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2019, 03:30 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Any real proof that this Mecca exists?

And whatís the link.....Donate to Kev
Old 10-02-2019, 06:26 AM

congrats Ellen
your plan worked for you and others. I would not feel compelled to respond to people with no vision. I wish I were closer to take advantage of your generous offer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eclectic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2019, 08:36 AM
VIP Member

Goodwrench, I’ve always been an advocate of donating to Kev. This isn’t free for him. Click the link and give him a few bucks.

Proof? What do you want proven?

Eclectic, thanks! We’re looking for a few more residents or people just needing to setup BOL. I wished I had helped others build before mine. That was out of order, lol. The lessons were learned on my place.

It’s a great place. I had strong concerns, all the ones mentioned in any scenario, plus a few more. I’m amazed by the results. People are awesome.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2019, 10:20 AM
Hunter

Thanked 6,979 Times in 1,075 Posts

Quote:
Goodwrench, Iíve always been an advocate of donating to Kev. This isnít free for him. Click the link and give him a few bucks.

Eclectic, thanks! Weíre looking for a few more residents or people just needing to setup BOL. I wished I had helped others build before mine. That was out of order, lol. The lessons were learned on my place.

Itís a great place. I had strong concerns, all the ones mentioned in any scenario, plus a few more. Iím amazed by the results. People are awesome.
You realize that Kev sold the form to a Canada media company years ago?
The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle Scout Survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2019, 01:35 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Quote:
Goodwrench, Iíve always been an advocate of donating to Kev. This isnít free for him. Click the link and give him a few bucks.

Eclectic, thanks! Weíre looking for a few more residents or people just needing to setup BOL. I wished I had helped others build before mine. That was out of order, lol. The lessons were learned on my place.

Itís a great place. I had strong concerns, all the ones mentioned in any scenario, plus a few more. Iím amazed by the results. People are awesome.
Kev doesnít own this forum anymore.....so who has been getting your money?
So..no I wonít be clicking the link and sending money to....who ever gets it now
Old 10-03-2019, 04:03 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,544 Times in 2,074 Posts

It would be nice if it were clarified who gets the support Kev $$$$$
I do not see this forum monetized in an obscene way
So why not support the forum, and/or kevin however you see fit
Makes sense to me
Old 10-03-2019, 05:49 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
It would be nice if it were clarified who gets the support Kev $$$$$
I do not see this forum monetized in an obscene way
So why not support the forum, and/or kevin however you see fit
Makes sense to me
I see plenty of advertising on this forum. Iím pretty sure it pays enough to support the site or else the Canadian owners would shut it down.
The site is actually run by a very small staff of unpaid mods and staff members
Why isnít your VIP dollars sent to them?
No wonder so many of them have quit coming to this site..... they worked and didnít get paid.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 12:24 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Scout Survivor View Post
You realize that Kev sold the form to a Canada media company years ago?
Nope. I havenít updated much aside from this thread (which apparently was not taken all that well) for years. Thanks for feeling the need to set me straight. Notice the FreedomFest? Thatís how long since Iíve updated. I donít follow Kev as closely as you do obviously.

This seems a very ďmenísĒ forum. Iíd bet if I were a man my ideas would be better received and perhaps there wouldnít be such a sensitivity or need to point out anything that could be construed as wrong or that I might have missed this forum was sold. Thing is, I donít really care.

You realize that some people are here just for the topic theyíre discussing?Perhaps start a thread: Ellenís profile says Donate to Kev, LOL! She Doesn't Even Realize Kev Sold it to the Canadians!

Ive always liked Canadians. Theyíre a lot friendlier than a Americans, generally. I hope Kev made a lot of money on the sale. He developed quite a forum.

Trolls they be trolling and haters be hating. Thanks, and good bye. Good luck with your low self esteem and need to point out ridiculous details. Youíre a little man.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:50 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,925 Times in 10,526 Posts

Quote:
Nope. I havenít updated much aside from this thread (which apparently was not taken all that well) for years. Thanks for feeling the need to set me straight. Notice the FreedomFest? Thatís how long since Iíve updated. I donít follow Kev as closely as you do obviously.

This seems a very ďmenísĒ forum. Iíd bet if I were a man my ideas would be better received and perhaps there wouldnít be such a sensitivity or need to point out anything that could be construed as wrong or that I might have missed this forum was sold. Thing is, I donít really care.

You realize that some people are here just for the topic theyíre discussing?Perhaps start a thread: Ellenís profile says Donate to Kev, LOL! She Doesn't Even Realize Kev Sold it to the Canadians!

Ive always liked Canadians. Theyíre a lot friendlier than a Americans, generally. I hope Kev made a lot of money on the sale. He developed quite a forum.

Trolls they be trolling and haters be hating. Thanks, and good bye. Good luck with your low self esteem and need to point out ridiculous details. Youíre a little man.
Bit of a extreme response to a minor post from ESS. Calls into question your veracity.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:52 PM
Basket of deplorables

Thanked 2,028 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:

Gesh there Petunia take a pill. That guy didn't do anything to warrant going full retard on him.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:54 PM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,449 Times in 555 Posts

Well, I dont quite understand the folks criticizing this person for creating a place for folks to begin to plan for the troubles to come. It was/is basically an experiment in what can happen when people work together. And it seems that the instigator of this compound is being more than fair with everyone. I wonder how secure it will be, but to me this is what we will ALL be doing to some extent in the future. Different people have different skills and it will take more than just me to survive here in my country locale when the meanness starts. These folks have a head start towards being self sufficient. And more able bodied folks to get stuff done is a good thing.