Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-07-2019, 04:15 AM
Prepper elite

Thanked 3,826 Times in 1,899 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiegirl1925 View Post
How is your roof going to be insulated? Isn't it cold in Wisconsin?
Negative 42 last year was the lowest.

Snow loads would be my concern as well.

Our chicken coops was nearly 2k in just supplies as well... you might need solar as well
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2019, 04:45 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,071 Posts

To hoodoo.

If I do it right I cant afford it. I would rather have something I own livable and "wrong" then not to be able to have something done "right".

Edit: I originally typed "lovable" when I meant "livable"
Old 10-07-2019, 04:58 PM
Hunter

A sheetrock ceiling with a vapor barrier and blown insulation above it.

As far as snow load, I dont intend to have any spans over 9'6". I want it to be able to support 6 feet of snow without any concern of it caving in. After last winter I never want to shovel another roof of mine.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:44 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,317 Times in 9,632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasers View Post
Cost. I figure I can build the entire house for under $5000. If I start building it the modern way the cost starts to go way up. Once I live in it I can always up grad things in it that I am not happy with as I have cash available.

Worst case scenario is if I build it for 5k and find out it is unlivablely poorly built I can burn it down and still be money ahead of renting the cheapest 2 bedroom place available.
Not sure this will help you, but I have been living for 4 years in a 24x32 pole barn that I built my self. My county has no building inspectors, so I built what I pleased. The materials cost me $8k in 2015.

The site had about 30 inches of slope, so I built it on 5x5 poles set on 4 ft centers, back filled and poured a concrete floor.

The sill ht is 10 ft, and I purchased factory roof trusses. I installed a mylar/foam insulation wrap under the metal roof and wall panels, and 6" pink wall insulation, metal ceiling and 12" of ceiling insulation. This building s heated by a wood stove.

I added a shed roof on one side and parked my 5th wheel camper under the roof, which opens into the building. I installed a septic tank and a water storage tank to support living in the 5th wheel.

This was my temp housing while I built my log house about 50 ft away. Now the house is complete, the barn is my machine shop, and boat storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190209_162326.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	292650  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 01:01 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,747 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoo View Post
With all due respect, I believe you're being shortsighted....
An old building trades motto: 'Do it once, do it right'
and here I thought the motto was "measure twice, cut once."

Or was it "Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty thing.."

TO the OP, I design houses for all kinds of clients and I have a set of plans for one client that shafted me on pay so I'd be more than willing to share those with you or anyone else on the board.

All I ask is that you donate $10 or so to a No-Kill Animal shelter. I don't need proof or anything like that, your word will be fine by me..

I think I'm missing one of the pdf files but, I've been thru the list and this forum doesn't let you alphabetize the list.

The cabins are built on concrete pilings as shown in the drawings.

The cabins are not allowed to be lived in more than so many months (3 or 6 I think) a year. But, that's a Washington State law.

The do have lofts where you could put your sleeping quarters in. Pluming and electrical is all on you though..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 12X20 Cabin-#1 Elevations.pdf (24.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: pdf 12X20 Cabin-#1 Floor Plan.pdf (62.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: pdf 12X20 Cabin-#2 Elevations.pdf (24.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf 12X20 Cabin-#2 Floor Plan.pdf (62.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: pdf 12X20 Cabin-Model.pdf (104.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: pdf 16X20 Cabin 2 of 2.pdf (22.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf 16X20 Cabin-#2 Elevations.pdf (23.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf 16X20 Cabin-#1 Floor Plan.pdf (22.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: pdf 16X20 Cabin 1 of 2.pdf (45.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf 16X20 Cabin-#2 Floor Plan.pdf (42.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 10-11-2019, 01:58 PM
Hunter

To hick industries-could you put up a link to the Mylar foam insulation you used? I did a search for it and found a few different itmes and am not sure which one you are referring to. We had seriously thought of buying a school bus. Rip the seats out. throw in a wood stove, some furniture and call it a home. With the idea of parking it inside a pole shed in the winter(wife's grandparents lived that way for years, eventually they walled over the door to get the camper out and made it permanent inside the shed). There are several reasons we didn't go that route, most of it was we doubt we could get away with it(code wise) around here. And we want to say in this area because of a job I like, and much of our family lives fairly close. Also the cost of building a pole shed and buying a bus would be higher than the cost of building a log cabin. Although I am still thinking of putting a lean to addition on the back and parking a camper under it for extra summer time bedrooms for the older kids. (I am assuming we will have it built before all of the three oldest move out)

To Kl0an- Thanks for the offer but not much of what was in those plans looks like it applies to what I want to build, other than maybe the pier spacing. I am intending to build on electric pole piers with a cement pad at the bottom of the hole , big over hangs and a slope away from the house to keep them dry.

I spoke with a logger yesterday, about buying some logs. I told him 9 1/2" inside the bark small end or larger, somewhat straight, not rotten or hallow and grade and knots and species don't matter. I also told him I would probably be interested in the cheapest logs that meet those needs. He said at the moment, red pine and poplar prices are way down so that is probably what I would get. If his price is right I may end up buying from him rather than logging them myself.

I also priced out roof trusses and floor joists in case I can't find enough logs that are high enough quality to to mill them myself. They aren't that expensive, $10 each for the floor and $62 each for the rafters. So it wouldn't break the bank if I couldn't find logs and HAD to buy them instead of mill them.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:48 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,317 Times in 9,632 Posts

I bought the bubble insulation at a local building supply store, but it looks like this.
https://www.ecofoil.com/shop-by-prod...ble-insulation