Super Sawyer Kit - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Super easy, Super cheap, Super worthwhile prep Zantamoray Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 37 08-19-2016 11:48 AM
Super Lighting Bid for Super Low Price MyLed MyLED 0 09-15-2014 11:16 PM
Aliens Behind the Super Powers and Super Alliances ACME_MAN Controversial News and Alternative Politics 3 12-09-2013 08:05 AM
Sawyer or First Need 1171jarhead Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 01-07-2013 11:21 AM
sawyer filters? Ronald Reagan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 04-11-2012 05:25 PM
Sawyer Filters njmomto3 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 04-05-2012 04:14 PM
Sawyer 4 way, who has one? Wall*e Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 03-29-2012 07:26 PM
Monolithic vs. Sawyer newprepr Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 05-24-2011 11:04 AM
ABC Diane Sawyer still in bed with Obama Medieval Man Political News and Discussion 14 03-12-2011 09:39 PM

Old 07-06-2014, 05:08 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,973 Times in 19,144 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writer's Block View Post
Dude....you should totally make a "How To" video demonstrating construction and techniques for it...
Sorry, but making vids isn't my thing and I'm not inclined to making a bunch of new kits/components that I don't need. The conceptual description that is in post #5 of this thread should help any DIY person make it.

But I did get a few extra components and found a better kit for it.

That's the Combloc gasmask bag I got for it. About 10 inches long and about 5 wide not counting the side pockets. Main strap is just long enough for cross body and it has a thigh strap if needed.

One side pocket has some PP in plastic pill fobs, iodine tabs, funnel, and teflon tape for fast connections to existing pipe systems I find.

Other side has the 4way wrench I wanted earlier and a roll of silicone tape for slop jobs.

Here is the main kit again, going clockwise. 4 collapsible bottles in various sizes, gray main charcoal filter housing, white bottle of spare activated charcoal, 10' of quarter inch tubing, blue funnel made for soda bottle threads (new addition), those two really big freezer ziplocs as spare water holders, my 2 DIY connection fittings and the backwash bottle in the lower right, spare mesh charcoal bag with all my extra fittings, Sawyer Squeeze filter, pliers, and a spare emergency filter straw that has both biological and chemical filtration in the bottom left (also new to the kit).

I also carry a Seychelles straw, 3L camelback, a couple Israeli canteens, and a mucket in various places in my other gear.

I don't intend to sling this on right off the bat. I carry it near the top of my GHB, which doubles as my assault pack on my ILBE. But should I make camp and not wish to lug a bunch of gear from my camp to a found surface water source I can strap it on so I'm free to lug back as much water to camp as I can carry. I just really wanted something sturdy to hold it all in but the option to strap it on is a nice bonus.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.

Last edited by IamZeke; 08-16-2014 at 01:19 AM..
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Prepared

Does activated charcoal have a long shelf life if kept in a closed package/container?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to longhair51 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2014, 06:15 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair51 View Post
Does activated charcoal have a long shelf life if kept in a closed package/container?
If sealed up tight the only decline in quality will come from self abrasion in the container. Don't try to pack it too tight and don't go shaking it all the time.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:27 AM

I'm very un-technical and probably missing the whole point here, but wouldn't it be much, much cheaper and easier to have this system operate in two stages? Contaminated water into sawyer squeeze bag with filter on top. tin cup with filter sock on top, filled with charcoal. Squeeze sawyer, water goes into top of tin cup and trickles through charcoal. ???
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kcm For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2014, 02:18 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,282 Times in 601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcm View Post
I'm very un-technical and probably missing the whole point here, but wouldn't it be much, much cheaper and easier to have this system operate in two stages? Contaminated water into sawyer squeeze bag with filter on top. tin cup with filter sock on top, filled with charcoal. Squeeze sawyer, water goes into top of tin cup and trickles through charcoal. ???
trickle filters take a long time. could run the water through the sawyer into another sqeeze bag, then from the second squeeze bag through a charcoal filter of some kind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jihiggs For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2014, 04:00 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcm View Post
The charcoal will work better if packed in tight in a housing which will force the water through a more difficult path as this will mean more contact with the charcoal for more adsorption.

Also, by putting it in a housing I can choose what type of container I want to put the finished water in, instead of needing to transfer it from a cup into something else.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:48 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 487 Posts

Here's a cool home made backpacking carbon filter solution I found online,with instructional photos too!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NABLsJvK8ZQ
https://www.flickr.com/photos/parket...7626350779990/
The Following User Says Thank You to Clawhammer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2014, 01:12 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
Here's a cool home made backpacking carbon filter solution I found online,With instructional photos too!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NABLsJvK8ZQ
https://www.flickr.com/photos/parket...7626350779990/

Pretty much what I describe in post #5 of this thread, with a bit of variation because they added fixed tubing ends.

However, I use an additional nylon mesh sock for the charcoal to hold it together so you avoid "tunnelling", which can happen once the charcoal settles a bit.

Still, it is nice for those who are visually oriented. Perhaps look at the visual in the link and then read my post #5 so you can build your own charcoal post filter to go downstream of your biological filter.

With the Sawyer Mini now out for $20 as your biological filter it makes for an inexpensive way to have good portable water filtration if you add a sturdy DIY carbon post filter to it.

I spent a lot of time and money on mine because I wanted a lot of flexibility to reconfigure my kit and to look sleek and attractive when assembled. My effort went waaaaay beyond actual need. Not everyone has the time, money, or inclination to do it the way I did. Nor do they need to if they went with a DIY inline job that connects to common 1/4 tubing.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:12 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

With the Sawyer Mini out on the market, some might want an "easy" version of this kit.

What you need is a Sawyer Mini, a Katadyn inline charcoal filter, some supplemental activated carbon from the pet store, the Sawyer push fittings adapter kit, several feet of 1/4 potable grade tubing, a backwash syringe, and some kind of disposable plastic bottle for the raw water.

Connect the cap thread Sawyer fitting on your disposable bottle of raw water. Run a short length of tubing to your Sawyer Mini. Run a short length of tubing to your Katadyn inline charcoal filter, run the outlet tube to your canteen or hydration bag. Squeeze the raw water through the system until it either empties the water bottle or the Sawyer begins to clog. If the Sawyer is clogging then pull it all apart and backwash the Sawyer with some of your clean water.

Excluding the raw water bottle the kit should nicely fit into a quart ziploc. Be sure to replace the charcoal every 20-30 gallons.

The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2015, 04:36 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Decided to get images of the Mini kit I mentioned above.

First the typical bulk pack variety of a Sawyer Mini with cigarette pack for size reference.

Opened up though you will note that the original Mini bag also had room for the Platypus carbon filter and a foot of extra 1/4 tubing, plus the Mini and its own accessories.

The bag will fit in my front pants pocket. There's room to spare in the bag for other things (like more carbon filters) or you could go with a smaller bag. I'm sure I could get it into a sandwich bag if I cared to.

It's not like my fancy kit in my OP, but this would almost qualify as EDC if you were the type to have a lot of pockets or a belt pouch.

In my case I have made several of these and tucked them into my vehicle kits and as emergency spares.

I really made out like a bandit too. Normally the combined set would be a hair under $30. But a freak Amazon sale got me four Minis for $30 and Platypus had a 40% off sale on last Black Friday. $30 for the Minis, $32 for four Platypuses, and $2 for the tubing means each of the four kits I made worked out to $16 a pop! Totally scored big on that deal. I can't help you find Minis that cheap unless Amazon screws up again, but it's worth remembering Black Friday at Platypus for next year. I'm definitely going to score more carbon filters cheap then.

Just for reference. That kit will ensure I get at minimum 2 months of water for one person with complete filtration assuming around a gallon a day usage. Even at full price of $30 that's a good deal.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:18 AM
All Murican!!

What make of active carbon did you use in the socks?
What do you think about putting the charcoal in a woman's nylon and just tying a knot in it instead of paying 15$ for a sew job.

Also thought about making an adapter for my filter by JB welding a soda bottle cap in the end of a pvc coupling. Same concept could be applied to the other end to add any variety of fittings. Genius kit you put togather there sir.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bald Eagle For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2015, 06:03 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
What make of active carbon did you use in the socks?
What do you think about putting the charcoal in a woman's nylon and just tying a knot in it instead of paying 15$ for a sew job.

Also thought about making an adapter for my filter by JB welding a soda bottle cap in the end of a pvc coupling. Same concept could be applied to the other end to add any variety of fittings. Genius kit you put togather there sir.
I use coconut shell AC.

I think I mention the viability to use nylon stockings as an alternative on the 5th post.

Don't use JB Weld. It isn't food grade. Your glue options will be very limited once you stick to food grade.

Appreciate the compliments.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:00 AM
Mostly a lurker

Zeke, I realize this is resurrecting an old thread, but I'm wondering if you still have the photos you posted somewhere. The photos are now Photobucketed, and they aren't visible, except as a very blurry image.

If you still have them, would you mind reposting them, please?
Old 10-09-2019, 12:57 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina3000 View Post
Zeke, I realize this is resurrecting an old thread, but I'm wondering if you still have the photos you posted somewhere. The photos are now Photobucketed, and they aren't visible, except as a very blurry image.

If you still have them, would you mind reposting them, please?
Only place I have them is on photobucket.

Note that I said that my system was overtly custom and overtly expensive.

That's why I made post #5 to explain how to make a system from more common and affordable parts. I never had photos of that.

The old photos aren't all that useless as they remain anyway. Just not crisp detail.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:54 PM
Storyteller

Thanked 5,248 Times in 1,059 Posts

For those that wish to purchase an off-the-shelf Casrbon filter form a reputable sompany

https://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-Carbo.../dp/B07CG5X41V

just under $20 and uses adapter - included.

Simple-to-use
Reduces chemicals and bad taste from water
Connects to water bottles
Genuine OEM Product
Bottle adaptor and outlet barb with replaceable activated carbon cartridge
Reduces chemicals and improves taste of treated/filtered water
Adapter connects to all popular water bottles