Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Edible insects - Northern US timesarechanging Food and water 20 09-22-2018 07:58 PM
Learn how to Forage for Wild Edible Plants AlgoRhythms Edible & Non-Edible Plants 32 07-31-2018 09:29 PM
Wanted: Rocky Mountain Edible Plant Expertise Paveglass Edible & Non-Edible Plants 11 06-07-2018 09:34 PM
Edible Plants For A Shade Garden gallard Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 4 05-22-2017 08:12 AM
Edible plant id? Illinois Crackpot 66 Edible & Non-Edible Plants 2 01-04-2017 05:33 PM

Old 12-23-2018, 10:38 AM

Default Terrestrial Turtles - Are They Edible?

Advertise Here

Snappers are perfectly edible if you can find them but I have heard that land turtles should be considered inedible because they might snack on poisonous mushrooms. This sounds like an old wives tale that's been repeated over and over until it's accepted as gospel. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this belief? I'd hate to ignore a food source in a prolonged SHTF situation.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2018, 10:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,374 Times in 7,303 Posts

I thought all terrestrial turtles were tortoises. Seems I was wrong. I do not know about eating them but you caused me to learn something. Thanks
Old 12-23-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
I thought all terrestrial turtles were tortoises. Seems I was wrong. I do not know about eating them but you caused me to learn something. Thanks
I'm not sure I know the difference between a turtle and a tortoise so please don't mistake me for some sort of reptile expert. I was referring to the common box turtle like this little guy:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...tle_Digon3.jpg

Not a snapper like this one:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ing_Turtle.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2018, 11:09 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,342 Times in 513 Posts

I believe there are a few cases where it is thought that poisoning occurred from eating terrestrial turtle meat. Poisoning of humans by meat and milk from plant toxins is rare these days but was common in the past. Several bird species eat poison hemlock seeds and are thought to have killed people, especially in the Balkans and Southern Europe. " C. maculatum alkaloids can be transferred to milk and to fowl muscle tissue through which the former can reach the human food chain." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...?dopt=Abstract

Lincoln's mother is said to have died from drinking milk tainted with toxins from "Eupatorium altissima" aka 'White snakeroot'.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2018, 11:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,504 Times in 6,332 Posts

Galapagos tortoises (terrestrial) were almost eaten into extinction by sailors, as for the box turtles around here I don't see them as having sufficient meat in them to make them worth the effort.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,790 Times in 3,503 Posts

Unaware of any cases where tortoise meat killed anyone. Then I Googled it and got no hits saying they were poisonous or could become poisonous. Got a few recipes though.

Hawksbill and Green sea turtle meat can be poisonous. They like to eat a sponge that is full of toxins that are lethal to us. Almost all of these cases are from countries on or near the Indian Ocean. Not something I'm going to worry about. This poison in sea turtle meat even has a name, "chelonitoxin".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4444492/

I generally wouldn't eat a tortoise anyhow unless I were very hungry. Most tortoises are endangered - and it would also bug me to eat something that could reasonably be expected to outlive me. If there are tortoises around there are usually many, many lizards to be eaten instead.

The fable about tortoises and hares? It 's true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7NuVjpi72c
Old 12-24-2018, 02:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,301 Times in 18,934 Posts

They were a HUGE part of the American diet till about 1900 (when their population was finally depleated.)

Go look into some old cookbooks.
Slow lunch.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:12 PM
I LOVE THIS PLACE

I've always heard there were toxic amounts of vitamin A in box turtle's. But don't take my word for it plus, not much meat on a fist sized no breast meat critter.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,790 Times in 3,503 Posts

LOL! We have a rescued desert tortoise for a pet that has a shell a foot long and weighs 15 lbs. If you ate him, the tortoise shell has a lot of uses.

Snappers can get twice that weight. Careful because they could take your finger off and have it for a snack.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:35 PM
Hiker

seems like ive read many times that terrapin soup was a delicacy in the late 1800s.

we have many terriapins here roaming round. I see them every few day sin warmer months.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:49 PM
I LOVE THIS PLACE

I was talking about the small brown and yellow American box turtle. Snapping turtles are good to eat and we don't have tortoises roaming around here in the Hillbilly weather is to cold for to long I'm guessing . Rednecks would have them on the barby anyway.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:03 PM
I LOVE THIS PLACE

Was just thinking is a box turtle anything like a post turtle. (Nah) Obama was a post turtle.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:37 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,603 Times in 999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunner1965 View Post
seems like ive read many times that terrapin soup was a delicacy in the late 1800s.

we have many terriapins here roaming round. I see them every few day sin warmer months.
I think you're talking about Diamondback Terrapins.
They are coastal aquatic turtles.
Any you see roaming around are probably another species.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamondback_terrapin
The Following User Says Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2018, 09:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,774 Times in 4,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcArthur View Post
LOL! We have a rescued desert tortoise for a pet that has a shell a foot long and weighs 15 lbs. If you ate him, the tortoise shell has a lot of uses.

Snappers can get twice that weight. Careful because they could take your finger off and have it for a snack.
There is a crazy story in my family, this was back in 1937 and my uncle in the Coast Guard came home with a live sea turtle strapped to the back of his 1932 Chevy. The thing was not okay with being chained to a wooden post and it chewed through that.

Well after it snapped at a couple of the kids, my grandfather waited for it to stick its head out and they had a lot of turtle meat for a while. The shell was used for watering the sheep and goats they kept.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:46 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,499 Times in 7,006 Posts

Reality is you can just about eat ANYTHING that FARTS.
So long as you know how to prepare & cook it.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:38 PM
VA / NC

Thanked 20,744 Times in 7,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
I think you're talking about Diamondback Terrapins.
They are coastal aquatic turtles.
Any you see roaming around are probably another species.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamondback_terrapin
No that’s not the same. Box turtles are strictly land creatures. Have toes / small claws versus web feet. See them all the time in the woods. Google Eastern Box Turtle and you guys can see a pic of what he is talking about.

Don’t know that I would eat them as I’ve never heard of anyone eating them before - guess there is a reason. Snappers are a different story. Years ago had a buddy that was a LEO working radar at one end of a stretch and I on the other. He had caught a snapper crossing the road earlier that evening, and threw him in the trunk to take to a guy we knew that ate them. He stopped a rather large, uncooperative individual and tried to issue him a speeding ticket. The guy refused to sign telling him he could take him to jail but would not sign. This conversation was taking place in the front seat of the police car. About that time the captured snapper could be heard scratching on the backseat and around in the confines of the trunk. The speeder’s eyes got big, and he asked my buddy what was that scratching noise in the trunk. My buddy informed him that was the last guy who didn’t sign the summons, and he liked to keep those who refused to sign in the trunk, taking everyone in at one time at the end of his shift. Needless to say the guy happily signed and paid the ticket in advance so he didn’t even have to come to court.
The Following User Says Thank You to East Coast Woods For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2019, 09:36 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Quote:

This little guy pictured is a red-eared slider (Trachemys scripta elegans), not a box turtle, which are members of the genus Terrapene, but the photo's pretty irresistible; seeing a turtle standing on a mushroom would be a rare thing indeed. But understanding the relationship between the two is important for anyone considering eating either.
Info from: https://animals.howstuffworks.com/re...d-mushroom.htm

Mushrooms are a huge part of their diet. They can eat varieties that would kill a human. So, it's recommended not to eat land turtles. Most turtles you eat in restaurants, are farm turtles.

PS. Cool Pic Huh!?
Old 01-03-2019, 11:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,278 Times in 2,477 Posts

Gopher tortoises were known as "Hoover Chickens" back in the depression days.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:22 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,269 Times in 513 Posts

Turtles (and all reptiles) carry salmonella, so cooking them very thoroughly would be a good idea.

I'm with TMMcarthur upthread, though -- if there's turtles around, there's other critters. There's about as much meat on a large lizard or snake, and it'd be much easier to clean. Honestly, I can't even remember the last time I saw a turtle in the wild but I see snakes and lizards all the time. Lizards and snakes are pretty much always edible with a few limited exceptions and the usual cautions for avoiding the pointy end (even if they're not venomous you don't want to get bit because those bites tend to get infected.)
Old 01-03-2019, 04:48 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,603 Times in 999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Woods View Post
No that’s not the same.

Box turtles are strictly land creatures. Have toes / small claws versus web feet. See them all the time in the woods. Google Eastern Box Turtle and you guys can see a pic of what he is talking about.

Don’t know that I would eat them as I’ve never heard of anyone eating them before - guess there is a reason. Snappers are a different story. Years ago had a buddy that was a LEO working radar at one end of a stretch and I on the other. He had caught a snapper crossing the road earlier that evening, and threw him in the trunk to take to a guy we knew that ate them. He stopped a rather large, uncooperative individual and tried to issue him a speeding ticket. The guy refused to sign telling him he could take him to jail but would not sign. This conversation was taking place in the front seat of the police car. About that time the captured snapper could be heard scratching on the backseat and around in the confines of the trunk. The speeder’s eyes got big, and he asked my buddy what was that scratching noise in the trunk. My buddy informed him that was the last guy who didn’t sign the summons, and he liked to keep those who refused to sign in the trunk, taking everyone in at one time at the end of his shift. Needless to say the guy happily signed and paid the ticket in advance so he didn’t even have to come to court.
"Not the same" is exactly what I was saying.

Diamondback Terrapins are the species he was talking about that used to be a "delicacy". They were nearly hunted to extinction.

Quote:
There's not enough meat on a Box Turtle to make them worth the trouble, and there's no practical way to catch enough of them to use them as a food source.

Snapping Turtles get large enough to make killing and cleaning worthwhile, and they can easily be caught in most any body of water in much of the US.

I've even caught them using artificial lures.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post: