Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Living off the land in the mountains RageKing Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 63 08-05-2016 04:57 PM
Living off the land, in the wild! Eddie.Bryant Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 130 12-29-2015 10:17 AM
living off the land for newbies usmountains Food and water 0 10-24-2014 05:06 AM
I will say it again LIVING OFF THE LAND WILL GET YOU KILLLED Festes General Discussion 126 11-22-2013 06:19 PM
Anyone living mostly off thier land? Aljo Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 107 07-26-2012 01:22 PM
Living off the land? CountryboyRifleman Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 63 01-08-2010 02:58 PM
example of living off the land elkhound Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 47 05-22-2009 06:31 PM
Living off the land is FANTASY-II shootmor Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 48 12-30-2008 11:41 AM
Living off the land is NOT fantasy... madmike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 12-27-2008 03:41 PM

Old 07-13-2017, 07:53 AM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 35,904 Times in 14,199 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvtater View Post
That's why I keep thinking I need to move. I'm right between a railroad and a freeway. Not the best place to be if hobo's and roaming looters are on the prowl.
But then again maybe it is.....
Do you see many hobos now?

From the R/R tracks what can be seen of your home?

If someone is hiking along the tracks, they need to see something interesting to attract them to leave the tracks.

If they can see an abandoned cabin that might attract people looking for shelter and privacy.

I have about a mile between our home and the interstate. From the Interstate what you see is peat bog swamp and a line of dense forest on the horizon. It takes a very strong attraction to lure anyone to leave the easy travel on the pavement to swim through peat bog.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 09:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 42,352 Times in 5,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestBeekeeper View Post
Do you see many hobos now?

From the R/R tracks what can be seen of your home?

If someone is hiking along the tracks, they need to see something interesting to attract them to leave the tracks.

If they can see an abandoned cabin that might attract people looking for shelter and privacy.

I have about a mile between our home and the interstate. From the Interstate what you see is peat bog swamp and a line of dense forest on the horizon. It takes a very strong attraction to lure anyone to leave the easy travel on the pavement to swim through peat bog.
I do see a few hobo's now. Mostly hobo's riding the cars. Very seldom do we see walkers on the tracks. See more walkers on the freeway.
Yes the place is completely and fully visible from either the RR or the freeway

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2017, 07:12 PM

One can't presume that a large portion of the population will know how to survive thru hunting or poaching techniques. Even spotlighting deer takes a degree of knowledge, and deer do adapt to large scale poaching.

Florida has about 20 million people. There's only 162k hunters. Presuming there are three times as many people in Florida who have the skills to hunt or poach than those who actually hunt, that's still only a small portion of the population compared to the overall numbers. 3 times the current number of hunters in Florida would amount to around 2% of the overall population. If 2% of the population are dominating near 100% of the game animals, I'll take those odds.

It takes about 5-8 deer a year to feed my wife and I if I eat venison several times a week every week of the year. I've been as long as 6 months where I've eaten venison almost every day for 2 meals a day.

I don't discount that massive hammering of the deer on an industrial scale could and would wipe them out. That's true of anything. But if things are so bad that the wild game is being wiped out, your garden is going to be wiped out too when the deer destroying hordes turn on you. In fact I'd posit they're going to raid your garden first before they go out and stomp deer down.

But who knows. There's a point by which it becomes an exercise in vanity to believe oneself prepared for every possibility. The most one can and ought to do is reasonably prepare to a degree then roll with it as it happens. We won't be the first or the last society to undergo life-shattering turmoil if and when it happens.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Florida Bullfrog For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2017, 08:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,524 Times in 1,326 Posts

I lived with my NA grandfather from 1947 to 1955 out on a mountain ridge 7 miles from the nearest road with no plumbing, electric or anything, living in a shack with 1/2" cracks in the walls and floors. We grew or killed everything we ate. At times we had lots of food and at times very little. Winter of 1952 we ran out of food and lived on blackberries that we had canned the summer before for about 6 weeks. Most all the wild game had been killed off in the 1930's and I saw the first deer in about 1953. Squirrels and rabbits were about all the wild game you would see. Sure ate lots of those.
Most people have no idea how hard it is to live off the land and with lots of land and having chickens, pigs, cows and horses, its still a daylight to past dark, 7 day a week struggle to live. After each winter, I would wonder if I could make it thru another winter. Very few people today will make it. Just the way it is.
Pops
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bearhawk For This Useful Post: