What would you load into your cart? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This is why I can't use a game cart. Vanishing Nomad Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 17 11-14-2015 05:18 AM
manpowered cart elliott264 Vehicles & Transportation 15 11-07-2014 11:21 AM
Bug out cart? Justme11 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 61 11-24-2013 09:35 PM
bug out cart txprep Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 45 09-23-2013 11:02 AM
I need help with a cart Arsenul DIY - Do It Yourself 31 11-07-2012 05:33 AM
Moving a Load with a Game Cart Hick Industries Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 19 10-22-2012 08:18 AM
Hand Cart Arsenul DIY - Do It Yourself 24 09-01-2012 09:22 PM
Anyone tried a Game Cart? Rat Eater Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 6 08-24-2009 07:56 AM
General fighting load and bug out load 89M1009 Reviews and questions 12 06-11-2009 04:56 AM
The Soldiers load VS a Survivalist load kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 10-09-2008 11:25 PM

Old 04-23-2016, 04:38 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,098 Times in 20,002 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelruh View Post
Maybe I'm paranoid, but always park by emergency exits of stores that I frequently go to. They also are near the exits of parking lots. I also back in .

Emergency exits have alarms, but don't need electricity to open.
When I bought my first Honda Crosstour, I noticed the side view mirrors would swivel down when shifting into reverse. I was told that was because the Japanese all back in and it lets them see the painted parking lines.

I guess they want a quick exit in an emergency.

My last job they forced everyone to back in as well. Pain in the butt.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 07:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,021 Times in 3,983 Posts

Backing in gets easier the more you do it. I usually find a pull through, which is the best of both worlds.
The Following User Says Thank You to yelruh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 07:29 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,839 Times in 10,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRE3P View Post
I have short term covered. But wanted an idea of what I'm lacking. ...
If short term is covered the obvious next step is how are you for medium term? Do you have a spare of items that might break or get used up?

Why it might be fun to think that you can do a charge it and owe it run at the last minute chances are you will not be able to. I recall back after 2008 and our last financial crisis that several credit cards I had suddenly dropped their borrowing limit. They did that not based on my record but as a response to worry about where the crisis would end up. I could easily see if a major crisis was at hand that the CC companies would put a hold on them.

So if they let you borrow it likely means they expect to be able to collect at some point. Heck the CC companies changed the Bankruptcy laws back in the early 2000's in response to too many ducking out of owing. Now it is more difficult to get out from under.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2016, 08:30 AM
Mod Certified PITA!

Thanked 18,470 Times in 7,084 Posts

It's a bit hard running to the store and picking up productive gardens, mature and bearing fruit trees, solar power systems, hundreds of gallons of stored water, and other necessities that might keep you alive for years instead of weeks. This is why you prepare ahead of time. Same reason people don't run off to the woods with nothing but a backpack and rifle and expect to last too long. At least, they shouldn't expect to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
We have this exact thread roll through here regularly. And my reply is always the same.

I don't have any top secret sources. So if I know about it, plenty of others do too. I'm not about to go shopping and chance getting caught up in a dangerous crowd situation. That's what being prepared is all about in the first place. So that you don't need to do this.

I may top off the truck tank if lines haven't formed at the pump. But other than that, I'm going to head home and start making preps.

If the situation calls for bugging out, I'm going to be loading the truck and trying to get as big of a head start as possible. Or if the situation calls for bugging in, I'm going to be busy making preparations to preserve my fresh and frozen foods, and getting other preps sorted out and ready to use.
Hear hear. Not being rich, a member of the Illuminati (that I'll admit to), or psychic, I too lack the precise and never wrong sources that are required for these sorts of scenarios. Economic collapse; EMP attack; martial law; invasion by China, Martians, the Lollipop Guild; the Zombie Apocalypse: Nope, not going to get warnings of those in advance, best I'll be able to do is hear about it at the same time as everyone else. So I have to prepare ahead of time and not wait until the last minute. And if I *do* hear about them happening, like MikeK, the LAST thing I'm going to do is head out into the chaos to try to snatch up a few crumbs when the risk of trouble is so great.

The only exception I might make to that is heading to the drugstore and trying to get essential medicines, if I needed such. Fortunately I can so far control my diabetes with exercise and diet, and the meds I am taking are preventative, not necessary. Not to mention I've built up a considerable stockpile of them... Which is good, because getting additional drugs in a time of stress, given how slow pharmacies usually are and all the paperwork involved, might take a long time if it's possible at all.

Quote:
I have short term covered. But wanted an idea of what I'm lacking. Pet food was mentioned. So that is something to look into. And the reason I mentioned "credit card" was because I could use it and not have to worry about paying it back. At least not for 5-10 years. Kind of like a "SCREW THE SYSTEM" thing. It would make me feel all tingly inside.
Why would you imagine you're not going to have to repay your debts, especially if they're huge and you deliberately ran them up? In the event of an economic collapse who do you think is going to have the most resources, you or the credit card company? And who will the government and monied interests be supporting? People lost homes and land in the Great Depression because they couldn't pay taxes, and during the housing bubble burst when they couldn't pay mortgages; what do you think you might lose if you try to welsh on credit card bills?

(Another thing worth keeping in mind is, credit cards are tracked in real time, these days. If you suddenly start racking up huge purchases and that's not your normal practice, the credit card companies will say "Whoops. Looks like some thief stole this guy's card and is buying the store. Freeze the card and alert the police." You may be able to score at the first store or two, but then your life is going to get... complicated...)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 10:02 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,839 Times in 10,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
(Another thing worth keeping in mind is, credit cards are tracked in real time, these days. If you suddenly start racking up huge purchases and that's not your normal practice, ...
I found it interesting this last month when I paid a credit card that the online payment service at my bank pop'ed up a warning that the amount was higher than normal. It was about $225 that I had spent and normally that card has only a amount of about $100 that is for tv and internet.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 10:39 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 23,471 Times in 8,695 Posts

Growing food supplies like seeds, fertilizers, pesticides, books...
Preserving food supplies like salt, canning jars and lids...
Supplements like vitamins, spices...
Meds and first aide stuff...
Creature comfort items like soap, shampoo, tooth paste, toilet paper...
Canned meat
Clothes, socks, underwear, gloves, boots. coats...
Perfume.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,258 Times in 18,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endiron View Post
+ 100 on medical supplies

I'd hit up the Asian market for damn near every dried food item they had, and the local restaurant supply for canned goods.

One clothing item I don't think gets enough consideration is shoes. Lot and lots of shoes, even if they're just crocs. In an environment without hospitals etc just a cut could kill, and shoes wear out.

So buy them NOW!
I have the next 20 years worth of Danner boots put back, $250+ boots I picked up for $50-$100 because they used the wrong thread or other non noticeable blemishes.

Not only do I HAVE them, but I got them at prices which will save me money...
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 02:46 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,265 Times in 662 Posts

Personal opinion, we already have advance notice of an economic collapse…

If we made a shopping trip, it would probably be for “silly stuff”, and example being ice cream… Something we occasionally enjoy, but do not keep around the house, to have one last opportunity to indulge before such items disappear…
Old 04-24-2016, 09:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,970 Times in 3,817 Posts

I cannot honestly think of a situation where I am going to have significant enough notice to take advantage of such things.

Personally, I got rid of all my credit cards years ago as the first step to getting my self free of debt. Using them is not even an option for me. All I have by way of such things now is a pay as you go one you load with money in advance.

I feel it is much better to pre-buy what you need and store it that to do some sort of emergency shopping last minute.

I suppose if, by some magical means, I was actually out and got advance notice of an upcoming event, my focus would be on supplies essential to getting through that event that would support and bolster the supplies I already had at home.

For example, imminent power loss would mean purchasing lots of portable lighting, power supplies, and batteries. Some sort of disease? Cleaning, hygiene, and medical supplies. And so on....
The Following User Says Thank You to Writer's Block For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2016, 09:58 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
So buy them NOW!
I have the next 20 years worth of Danner boots put back, $250+ boots I picked up for $50-$100 because they used the wrong thread or other non noticeable blemishes.

Not only do I HAVE them, but I got them at prices which will save me money...
That's what I do with everything. Why pay $1+ for a pound of pasta when you can get it on sale for 49-59¢ ? I buy medical supplies in bulk on line... well actual it's a group buy a friend does every year for members of the boy scout troop. I get much better pricing then from the local pharmacy.

If you find ways of saving money you can invest the money you save in more items to save you money. I don't really need more mason jars right now, but I can't pass them up when they are free or really cheap.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yelruh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2016, 10:00 PM
Survivor

The two items I would add are peanut butter and bleach. Both have relatively short shelf lives so I don't have a big stock of either.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,743 Times in 8,341 Posts

This happens to us a lot. So much that shops just put the survival gear in bins at the front.

My advice is the d cell batteries go the fastest the double and triple A,s tend not to.

Pankake mix is easy to use and lasts. Same with things like flour. Can stuff goes quick water goes quick. Don't even ask about ice.

Fill your car full of fuel.
Fill your barbeque full of gas.

Get cash.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:18 PM
Hunter

I get the people saying buy stuff now, but I've often wondered what I would buy if I had one more chance to go to the store. We are planners, right?
Old 04-25-2016, 10:19 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,235 Times in 737 Posts

My idea is to look at what can not be provided in your own country. So for us it would be goods such as tea, coffee, chocolate etc.
For a long term event then SALT, sugar, medical. several pairs of good walking boots, socks, bicycle chains, puncture repair kits, spare tyres and inner tubes, valves, pump. good chain and lock!!

The list could go on and on and would greatly depend on the causes and underlying problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gavbar For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 10:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,293 Times in 4,295 Posts

Quote:
First off, I do have some preps. But nothing near what a really long term situation would require. So I ask you. If you had advanced knowledge of an economic collapse. Or something similar. And you were to jump into your car to hit the local Walmart or grocery store. Before the hoards of people got wind of anything. What would you load into your shopping cart. Now this would be prior to any banking shut downs. So you can use your credit cards. Thank you!
Calories are going to be a bit more important than pure nutrition. I would buy the cheapest calories possible. I have about 6 months of food right now which is balanced with protein/carbs/fat.

I think it is helpful to have known ratios of things so you dont buy too much flour, but not have enough salt/oil/sugar to make it palatable.

I would load up on coconut oil, 350,000 calories at least (about 85 pounds)
I would load up on rice and beans, 500 pounds of rice - around 1,000,000 calories, equivalent of beans (this is for family of 5)
Salt- about 40-50 pounds (we only "need" about 10 pounds for a year for the entire family). But you can use a lot of salt to preserve meat
100 pounds of sugar.
3 years of vitamins for each person
---------
the above would keep you from starving or having any nutrient deficiencies.

I would probably go to costco/sams club

After that I would buy canned meat/veggies/fruit in a 2:1 ratio assuming 2 cans of protein, 1 veggie, 1 fruit per day per person.

500 canning jars

Seeds

painkillers/fever reducers, especially for the kids
The Following User Says Thank You to txprep For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 11:48 AM

ideally nothing. just circle the wagons and get everyone to a meeting place to Bug out or bug in filling sandbags and the like. after that. definitely fill gas tanks maybe a quick run to the super store to get the kids larger size shoes and clothes, maybe comfort items/booze. If caught with pants down, there is a dollar store within running distance that has just about every prepping staple. Canned and dry goods, OTC meds and first aid, batteries, toiletries etc. grab a couple carts and sweep the shelves.
The Following User Says Thank You to blueoct90 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 12:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,258 Times in 18,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murex View Post
I get the people saying buy stuff now, but I've often wondered what I would buy if I had one more chance to go to the store. We are planners, right?
I can only store so much chocolate 8n the freezer, similar with cooking oil, a years supply of fresh bananas won't do me much...

There are things we don't NEED but enjoy or mske life easier. (Oil vs rendering lard.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 01:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,058 Times in 621 Posts

If you know the trouble is about to start, but power is still available, would you stock up on flour and salt to make that hard tack you been promising yourself you would store up? Would you finally go out and buy a seal a meal and mylar pouches, with oxygen absorbers, to store all the rice you will buy? Would you go out and buy new tires for your truck? Oh, and get the engine and trans serviced too? Would you order some fish antibiotics, on the outside chance that they will be delivered before the infrastructure of modern society collapses?

Might it be time to visit the Dentist, for the last time in your life? When did you get your last tetanus booster? How about your kids? Would you benefit from Lasik eye surgery? Do you have enough Xlax? Nothing binds you up better than pressure, stress and crummy food.

Let's not even talk about the condition of your roof, chimney flu or septic tank.

Yeah, I'm going with booze and chocolate. Easier to remember.
The Following User Says Thank You to PhotonSD For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 05:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,743 Times in 8,341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murex View Post
I do that. I am set up. But it is worth having a look.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:39 PM
Anti-Social

Thanked 1,348 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergunn View Post
Chocolate, coffee
My answer exactly...As for booze, I'll say some extra copper tubing and a few bricks of yeast.