Stockpiling cheap survival knives for SHTF - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
stockpiling survival knives for shtf kev Knives, Swords & Axes 81 11-01-2015 09:43 AM
Stockpiling 22 long rifle for shtf / TEOTWAWKI kev Firearms General Discussion 71 10-20-2015 10:36 AM
What are some really cheap survival knives Survival Cowboy Knives, Swords & Axes 51 08-06-2014 10:23 AM
Cheap, common, and practical survival knives deprogramming services Knives, Swords & Axes 0 01-24-2014 11:41 PM
Another stockpiling ammunition for shtf teotwawki article kev Firearms General Discussion 52 09-05-2012 10:23 PM
Stockpiling fishing gear for shtf kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 38 12-09-2011 11:24 PM
Stockpiling rifles and shotguns for shtf / teotwawki kev Firearms General Discussion 37 11-21-2011 04:43 AM
Stockpiling fishing gear for SHTF kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 55 10-05-2011 11:17 PM
Stockpiling seeds for shtf kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 25 04-07-2011 01:50 AM
Stockpiling Footwear On The Cheap stonecypher Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 32 10-14-2009 11:25 AM

Old 11-01-2015, 09:18 AM
Average Joe

Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,185 Posts

Advertise Here

What exactly qualifies as a 'survival knife' as opposed to just a knife? Doing jobs like cutting okra aren't exactly 'survival' tasks so much as just tasks.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2015, 09:23 AM
Target Shooter

Are you looking for KEV to answer? I don't know why he starts duplicate threads days apart and does not participate? Must be a paid troll to drive traffic on this dead site.

I come here to try an add something and all I find is BS threads by clowns that are making **** up . Now and hen there is a real post. Those real posts are lost in mountains of BS. Really hurts the site posting BS just because the site needs traffic to bill the advertisers. Which by the way this site has become advertiser riddled with invisible links to ads when you try to follow an thread. Nice try SB, your **** stinks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirt Wheel For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2015, 09:28 AM
Those were the days....

Thanked 11,968 Times in 3,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Wheel View Post
Are you looking for KEV to answer? I don't know why he starts duplicate threads days apart and does not participate? Must be a paid troll to drive traffic on this dead site.
You see where it says "Forum Administrator" under his name? Maybe he`s got other **** to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2015, 09:33 AM
Those were the days....

Thanked 11,968 Times in 3,324 Posts

I think a inexpensive hatchet or axe would have greater barter value. you can pick this one up for $8 at Harbor Freight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hatchet.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	105379  
Old 11-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Target Shooter

Hey you are interested I this thread! How about reading the duplicate?
https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=407613
Old 11-01-2015, 11:12 AM
... --- ...

Thanked 45,866 Times in 10,739 Posts

It was easier to copy/paste my response from the other, identical thread, than hammer it out all over again .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL-DOT View Post
I've brought the point up before (as did someone else earlier in the thread) that very few people that actually know how to use a knife, are not going to have one (or several) post SHTF. Most people are merely going to need a can opener to finish off what they have in the kitchen.....and then they're just standing on the porch waiting on the gubment to come save them. A knife ain't gonna make any difference whatsoever, nor are they likely to have much useful/valuable stuff to trade for it.
But to answer the question in the OP, I think the knife that is most practical to store for future trading, and best fitting the necessary criteria of being functional, good quality, and economical, could be the basic, stainless MoraKnives, that can be found for about $12. They might not be ideal for building a lean-to shelter, but for most realistic tasks like food prep, small fish and game cleaning,etc, you'd be hard pressed to find something of this level of qualilty and function, for this kinda money.
The Following User Says Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2015, 01:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,394 Times in 1,363 Posts

My uncle use to make knives from scrap metal and put on either antler handles or leather handles on them. They were well sharpened and held their edge well. He would make sheaths for them with animal skins, beaver tails being his favorite one.

Heck, you can get decent knives real cheap at yard sales and sharpen them yourself.

I do agree with one post here, get decent sharpening stones and learn how to use them.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:46 AM
High Concept

Thanked 6,740 Times in 2,436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
Do you think stockpiling cheap survival knives has a place in your long term SHTF survival plans?

Stockpiling cheap survival knives for SHTF - YouTube

Why stockpile cheap knives?

20 years ago some of my buddies and I were making bug out bags for friends and family. The bag contained a canteen, water purification tablets, thermal blanket, matches, cheap poncho, cord,,, other odds and ends and a knife.

Things have changed in the past 20 years. Instead of bugging out I now live at the farm and will bug in.

What can I do to help friends and family members in need? For one I can have a few cheap knives to hand out.

Why cheap knives? Because if someone loses, breaks, or damages the knife, I lost $10 - $15 dollars instead of $50+ dollars.

I can stockpile 5 knives with $50 at $10 each. That puts 5 people in the fields cutting okra, squash, and beans instead of one person with a $50 knife.

Someone on youtube mentioned using cheap knives as a barter tool.

What are your thoughts?

Maybe stockpiling sharpening stones as well, what with all the knives and heavy farm use cutting, there will need to be a lot of grinding of not just knives but other tools.
Stones like knives are a perishable item over time, having a few to use and trade might be prudent.
Cheap norton non oil stones serve well in the work shop, and those India stones I have seen around $7, excellent for grass cutters to chisels.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:47 AM
Zomby Woof

Thanked 39,794 Times in 10,665 Posts

My cabin in the WV hills is stocked with various cutting devices, but the best bargain was when Mrs. Skully found a pile of Dexter and Old Hickory butcher knives at an antique shop. There were piles of kitchen utensils, and after about 15 minutes she had 11 butcher knives.

The price tag was $11.00!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SkullyWV For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Bazinga!

Thanked 2,645 Times in 1,075 Posts

Yup - older Old Hickory knives can be made into nice every day use knives for chopping or cutting food in the fields. I find tons of them at garage sales for a song, even smaller thrift stores have em for less than a buck...
Old 11-04-2015, 12:34 PM
Proverbs 22:3

Thanked 1,373 Times in 409 Posts

I use old butcher and smaller knives that I find at thrift stores to experiment with different designs and such. At .10 to $1.00 each, I can afford to break a few while making a mocotaugan. I would use those for barter. I buy all I find.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:05 PM
Target Shooter

Do not underestimate the # out there who do not have simple things to survive. I reference the empty water and food stocks at stores during hurricanes, the gun panic after sandy hook (sandy hook was only the latest in many such events, was after the 90s awb, still fools didn't have guns n ammo). Op, you are wise to stockpile such things.