Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wisconsin Black Bear Rhino1600 Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 9 05-15-2015 08:12 PM
Teen?s First Bear Hunt Nets Second-Biggest NC Black Bear Ever AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 1 12-31-2014 01:32 PM
Big Black Bear kctgb General Discussion 4 09-25-2014 07:25 PM
Black bear hunt lew.45 Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 1 09-24-2013 05:28 PM
Black Bear Encounter Stillar Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 3 05-12-2012 06:26 PM
Well Mr. Black Bear Came Back! Ramona M. Faunce Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 10-21-2011 03:21 PM
N.H. Black Bear Rug Bravo1 Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 2 06-27-2009 11:36 PM
Arkansas Black Bear Richard1776 Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 0 04-27-2009 10:53 PM
Taking down a Black Bear Davy C Rockett Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 19 06-03-2008 01:32 PM
so your out in black bear country WhiteLightning Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 39 05-25-2008 10:14 PM

Old 02-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,028 Times in 4,515 Posts
Wink

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhairlover View Post
When I was young and still lived with my parents, I loved it when my mom would cook beef liver. I actually liked beef liver more than I liked normal meat. But as an adult, I have tried a couple of other organ meats, including the giblets in the chickens, and for some reason, they give me a sensation like I'm going to vomit. It's hard to even swallow them. I don't know exactly which chemical is triggering that sensation, but it's not just imaginary. I pay a lot of attention to these things.

Bone marrow was the worst - I only ate a tiny little crumb of it and was almost vomiting, almost passed out, and was sick for hours. If I had eaten any more than just a crumb of bone marrow I probably would have been in the hospital - and yet, I've read dozens of anecdotes online, and have talked to several people in person, who all claim that bone marrow is edible and delicious.

I was reading about it on the Weston A. Price website, where they talk about how primitive cultures used to eat before their lands were colonized by the modern white people. The primitive cultures were much healthier than the modern people who colonized them.

However, I still want to try eating all the different organs at least a little bit, even if they make me sick, because I have been reading some books that suggest that the organs have more nutritional value than just the muscle meat. Probably, I will find that I prefer particular organs, but can't eat other ones because they make me want to vomit.
You live in State College and don't hunt? Not possible.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 03:01 PM
Wanderer

Thanked 2,760 Times in 1,442 Posts

Black bear liver is as edible as any other animal's except polar bears.
Edible means you can eat it and gain nourishment and it won't make you sick. It don't mean it tastes good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EdD270 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2013, 09:39 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,419 Times in 823 Posts

I've heard that bear meat has to be treated like pork,parboiled,thoroughly cooked thru.Trichnosis. heard a story of some people snowed in up in upper canada and they had to kill their sled dogs to eat and the ate the livers and were found dead some time afterwards.Teeth had come loose and fell out.sign of Vit A toxicity. Outdoor life magazine in a barber shop,yrs ago when I had Hair...Speculated that bears and hogs shared the family treelines a few thousand yrs back...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 05:07 PM

Yeah, trichinosis is another thing I want to avoid. I read a story about some people who died of trichinosis after eating cougar jerky. I don't know how jerky is made, but apparently it doesn't cook it well enough to kill the parasites.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:25 AM

Talking The Liver Myth Solved

The reason that polar bear liver is bad is due to the high content of Vitamin A, one of the few vitamins that can be toxic in high quantities. Other animals that can also have toxic levels are Arctic seals, walrus, and other Arctic type animals. This is primarily due to the environment and the evolution (or "natural selection" if your religion prefers) of the animals living in those extreme environs. I am not sure about penguin, but I don't think I would take the chance. I have heard that extreme Northern moose also have this issue, while I know that Moose taken in places like Maine and Idaho do have edible livers.
The indigenous tribes of Canada and Alaska may very well not eat bear liver because of this, but I do know that the indigenous peoples (and the "old folks") from the South prized all the organ meats of wild animals including bears.
Also please remember, that while we call the liver a filter, it is not one like the air filter on your car. It does not "collect" the toxins. It chemically transfers them into another substance and then dumps the toxic materials into the bowels for disposal.
In short, I'd shy away from livers of the frozen north, but the ones of the more temperate (normal) climes should be fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shdwhealer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2014, 12:21 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,033 Times in 3,853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gambler View Post
You can have my liver and onions when you pry my fork from my cold dead hands!!!!!!!!
Have a gout attack and you will give it up pretty quick. Organ meat is high in purines which cause uric acid levels to increase and aggravate the symptoms.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2014, 07:25 PM
Trapper

I've heard both ways on black bears, Id err on the side of not eating it since I dont want to die of vit A toxicity.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:49 PM
Never Give up

Thanked 14,174 Times in 4,469 Posts

We eat Black bear liver almost every year. Some years we might not get one but most of the time we do. We love it. But what we don't eat is Elk liver. In Oregon they have allot of liver Flukes in them and once you see them its hard to ever even think about eating them.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:49 PM
Living To Ride

Thanked 1,867 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grump View Post
Liver, kidney's heart, tongue, all favorites of mine. Sweetbreads are a treat I don't get nearly often enough. But I no longer eat brain because of mad cow disease and then the chronic wasting disease in deer but giving up brain is a small price to pay. Head to tail is what we did when I was a kid on the farm pre electric era for us and we butchered our own animals but even my Ojibwa uncle wouldn't touch bear liver. His people knew it was bad and they ate a lot more game than we did.
Strange my wife is also Anishinabe (aka Chippewa, Ojibway) was Rez raised, off grid subsistence hunting family. She says that her family ate bear liver. As it appears others here have. Perhaps it is not an issue if you are not gorging yourself on it. I have Tlingit, Haida, Inuit and Aleut relatives who agree polar bear is toxic. Polar bear and black bear are very different animals
Old 05-31-2014, 12:16 PM
Resident Gold miner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypreper View Post
polar bear liver is the only inedible liver. all other animals have edible hearts lungs and livers.
Wrong...dog also has very high levels of vitamin A. The south pole trekkers suffered from this in days past as they ate their dogteams.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:32 PM
Target Shooter

Liver filters out toxins? Correct?

Why would I want to eat that?
Old 05-31-2014, 07:28 PM
6 Boys and 13 Hands

Thanked 27,188 Times in 6,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger F View Post
Liver filters out toxins? Correct?

Liver is a complete source of vitamins and minerals that your body utilizes.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,886 Times in 2,439 Posts

Depends on how hungry you are.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:22 AM
Living To Ride

Thanked 1,867 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger F View Post
To stay alive.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:44 AM

I eat Bear liver every so often. Once every 4 years or so when I happen to be lucky enough to harvest a Bear. I haven't died or gotten sick at all from it and I still have some of my hair.
I find it just about one of the tastiest meats I've every bitten into and that's just salt, pepper, garlic and butter in an old cast iron frying pan.