Keystone Meats: 5 Year Shelf Life - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shelf life of home canned meats? Backwoods101 Food and water 78 05-17-2019 04:32 PM
Keystone Meats kempo Food and water 31 11-16-2015 02:50 PM
Keystone Meats JimET Food and water 14 12-28-2014 08:55 AM
Keystone canned meats Dilnad Reviews and questions 8 12-26-2014 09:38 PM
10 year shelf life on granola....HOW? queenof3 Food and water 31 06-02-2014 02:43 PM
Shortening 2 year shelf life? patriot101 General Discussion 6 12-02-2012 02:30 PM
keystone canned meats cgcs Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 08-13-2012 02:07 PM
Organic milk with a 1 year shelf life?!?! Synical1 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 06-15-2012 07:19 PM
Any suggestions on meats and cheeses with a long shelf life? patriot101 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 1 06-29-2011 12:26 PM

Old 06-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Terra Nullius

Default Keystone Meats: 5 Year Shelf Life

Advertise Here

There is a company named Keystone Meats, in Lima, Ohio, that produces 5 year shelf life canned beef, pork, turkey, and chicken. Prices are reasonable.

The 28 ounce cans are $7.99 at Kroger and a few other stores in our area.

I spoke with one of the sales people on the phone today, and she said that their sales are expanding for preparedness purposes.

I am thinking about carrying the line in my store and wondered if anyone has tried the items yet?

CSM101
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CSM101 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Station 44 - Ladder 751

Ya i have been buying from them for a over a year now... The products are extremely good!! I absolutely love them.. I have tried the yoders, and honestly it doesnt even compare to the keystone. I have about 5 cases in my prep room.. all 4 kinds, and an extra chicken. I would recommend them all day to you!!

I also talked to them about a few weeks ago and they said that everything they are sending out is made as of 2011, so there freshly made and produced which is always good!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JRD505 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 07:24 PM

I grew up in Findlay, Ohio, which is just north of Lima. Therefore, I am very familiar with Keystone products. Excellent quality. Good shelf life. They are not cheap, but the prices are reasonable.

Locally, they compete with Brinkman's Turkey Farms, which offer similar variety, quality, and pricing. I won't post a link since I do not want to sidetrack this thread, but either option is a good one.

I am not sure about shipping since I just pick up a supply whenever I travel back home.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spectre1968 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,661 Times in 3,314 Posts

frankly i wouldnt pay $7.99 for a 28oz can of anything.now if it was $2 per can i might consider it.

i can get a 24oz can of denty moore beef stew $1.88 -$2 or canned chicken or roast beef for $3-$4 and it will last just as long
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 07:29 PM
I CHOOSE LIBERTY!

Thanked 1,874 Times in 891 Posts

Looks like Yoder's Tacti-cool Bacon (at 13.95 for 9 whole ounces a can) is way out of the question then.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Station 44 - Ladder 751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptkeeper View Post
frankly i wouldnt pay $7.99 for a 28oz can of anything.now if it was $2 per can i might consider it.

i can get a 24oz can of denty moore beef stew $1.88 -$2 or canned chicken or roast beef for $3-$4 and it will last just as long
If you tried it you would - If you buy a case (which i recommend) it is only $6.50 per 28oz can. There much better than FD meats and last a long time, they say 5 years, but we all know thats really 10+years.

Its a great item to have in your food preps! I bought a case here and there and now i got 5 cases. Didnt even put a dent in my wallet since i didnt buy it all at the same time.. I find that helps a lot
The Following User Says Thank You to JRD505 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Target Shooter

I buy the chicken and beef. The wife and I think they taste real good. We buy one or two cans every time we go grocery shopping. I want to built our stock up of both to at least 50 cans each.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel964 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD505 View Post
If you tried it you would - If you buy a case (which i recommend) it is only $6.50 per 28oz can. There much better than FD meats and last a long time, they say 5 years, but we all know thats really 10+years.

Its a great item to have in your food preps! I bought a case here and there and now i got 5 cases. Didnt even put a dent in my wallet since i didnt buy it all at the same time.. I find that helps a lot

if i was just buying one meal your right but if im stock pileing no i wouldnt not when i can get 3-4 times as much food for the same money that can be just as eatable given the right seasonings (but im not picky lol )

just think ,for the same money you could have 15-20 cases. if there was 20 cans per case then you got 100 meals (1 can per meal) but with the same money you could have over 300 meals = over 1 years worth of food (1 meal a day) hmm 3 months worth or 1 years worth hmmm i think if im going to stockpile ill take 1 years worth for the win ... ALEX
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Terra Nullius

Default Variety

Quote:

Yes, I realize that the stews are less expensive. The canned roast beef that I have seen is usually from Argentina or some similar place. I believe that the Keystone is locally produced.

Also looking at cost per gram of protein. I have lots of filler type canned foods like chile and beef stew. Looking for something in the time frame between the 2 year shelf life tuna/beef/chicken, and the 10-25 year freeze dried items.

CSM101
The Following User Says Thank You to CSM101 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Survivor

canned foods will last just as long as alot of the freeze dryed. it just needs to be stored right. in 1983 we had a case of C-rations dated 1943 they was no different than the 1978 cases. canned foods will last a LONG time IF stored properly. ( for all you kids out there C-rats are just military canned foods they didnt freeze dry foods back then)

if you left a can of keystone in the summer sun for a week i dought it would be eatable... i know i wouldnt eat it .... storage is the key

the only thing that makes freeze dried foods better is its lighter, so you can carry more in your backpack if your not carrying your food several miles it really doesnt matter canned food is just as good. the dates on the canned foods is a psyops to get you to throw the unused canns away and buy new.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Recent Blog

Default http://www.grandpappy.info/hshelff.htm

Quote:

Thanks for mentioning that.
Sometimes I feel like the Lone Ranger around here.

Folks, I know it ain't taticool to buy survival food at the grocery store, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper and lasts just as long if not longer.

I've posted this link before http://www.grandpappy.info/hshelff.htm
and I'll say it again: Non "pop top" (i.e. cans you have to open with a can opener) will last 10, 20 even up to 100 years if stored in a cool dry place.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DesertDave For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Road Trip!!!

I tried the Beef. It tasted good but it was very stringy and I was afraid my kids would choke on it. It was put in a stew.

It is not listed on their site but they also sell ground beef. They will sell it to you if you call them. I would like to try it.

I do not see the point on buying the chicken. It is readily available and I prefer the smaller cans when they go on sale.

BIH
The Following User Says Thank You to bigislandhikers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 09:05 PM
It's Coming

I buy them a walmart for 6.08 a can and i also buy the randall pinto beans in the large jar. when you mix the two they taste great and will feed a few people at once. I also beleive the shelflife is alot longer then 5 years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grizzly_trouble For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Station 44 - Ladder 751

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_trouble View Post
I buy them a walmart for 6.08 a can and i also buy the randall pinto beans in the large jar. when you mix the two they taste great and will feed a few people at once. I also beleive the shelflife is alot longer then 5 years.
Hmm your tellin me they sell Keystone meat cans at Walmart!? Wow... Didn't know that, i'll have to check a few around my area! Would obviously be cheaper with no shipping, and if your sayin the 28 oz cans are $6.08 thats even cheaper per can than buyin a case thru there actual website! Plus like i said theres the shipping, it wasn't to expensive before but still.. Gotta save money anyway you can!!
Old 06-10-2011, 01:01 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 9,305 Times in 4,625 Posts

I think people see the price and don't do the math. When you break it down it's less than $3.50 a pound. And that's cooked weight. Question is whether it has that dinty moore beef texture. Kinda fond of that myself in certain applications. Haven't been able to find anything like that for years.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,746 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

If it's going to be stringy anyway, might as well buy the canned Argentina beef from Sam's. It's tasty too, but stringy. I don't get the stringiness part. Pressure cooking can tenderize anything if they'll just do it. They aren't processing them long enough to tenderize the meat I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2011, 07:38 AM
Road Trip!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
If it's going to be stringy anyway, might as well buy the canned Argentina beef from Sam's. It's tasty too, but stringy. I don't get the stringiness part. Pressure cooking can tenderize anything if they'll just do it. They aren't processing them long enough to tenderize the meat I guess.
The Keystone beef is tender but I think its how they cut it. When I cooked it in stew it became a mass of stringy meat instead of chunks. I prefer the Hormel beef chunks and gravy in the smaller cans but it is expensive nad not much meat. About half the can is gravy.

BIH
The Following User Says Thank You to bigislandhikers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2011, 11:50 AM

hmm. I shop there for my steaks and hamburger and some other things. Did not know they had a website and never knew about the canned items. I am from Lima and will have to check this out next time i am in there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mdecker42 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2011, 12:09 PM
It's ok to be white

Thanked 91,138 Times in 24,065 Posts

Yes, I have gone to the Lima store several times. I have bought their canned beef, canned hamburger, canned chicken. The canned beef is the bet deal (IMO), it comes in the 50 oz cans (see picture) with a 5 year shelf life. It's very good in numerous dishes and I have used all of their products in dutch ovens etc..

They just had a pretty good price jump 5-6 weeks ago. Almost everything they sell can be found in other retail locations except the canned hamburger.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:10 PM
It's ok to be white

Thanked 91,138 Times in 24,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdecker42 View Post
hmm. I shop there for my steaks and hamburger and some other things. Did not know they had a website and never knew about the canned items. I am from Lima and will have to check this out next time i am in there.
It's funny, I see there products every where but the store isn't that impressive....I was expecting some fansy place