Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just got One Man's Wilderness Richard Proenneke for $1 FU69 Books, Movies & Stories 1 11-18-2012 03:54 PM
The Frozen North - Richard Proenneke's Life in the Wilderness surviveoutinthewild Books, Movies & Stories 13 01-10-2012 07:20 PM
Richard's AR Quentin Military Weapons Forum 12 01-27-2011 02:03 PM
**** Proenneke Fans Time Walker Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 7 08-17-2010 12:12 PM
**** Proenneke Full Video caliguy2010 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 4 07-31-2010 09:01 PM
Where is the best place in the USA to do a **** Proenneke and Les Stroud?? caliguy2010 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 43 03-30-2010 09:38 PM
A true survivor **** Proenneke HikerDad Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 19 03-09-2010 07:40 PM
anybody ever hear of **** Proenneke ? hoosier70 General Discussion 4 03-08-2010 07:47 PM
**** Proenneke the hog Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 35 07-01-2009 03:34 AM

Old 02-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Liberty or Death!

Thanked 1,304 Times in 384 Posts

Advertise Here

WoW, looks like this guy was the very first "survivor man" recording himself in the wilderness and all. Pretty handy guy indeed. Also pretty nice instructional video on building a cabin, how he measured for the cuts of the logs and such. Tough sob for sure.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Einrich For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw

Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einrich View Post
WoW, looks like this guy was the very first "survivor man" recording himself in the wilderness and all. Pretty handy guy indeed. Also pretty nice instructional video on building a cabin, how he measured for the cuts of the logs and such. Tough sob for sure.
He puts Cody and Dave to shame with his mad outdoor/survival skillz!
Old 06-03-2012, 04:09 PM
SPAM Bacon

Just watched this documentary last night. Simply amazing. The man has to be admired.

I'm looking forward to watching the sequel soon. A must-watch documentary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,857 Times in 3,587 Posts

Im reading his second book now [HIS JORNALS starting in 1974. I have both of his movies . I dont see why some people on here make a big deal out of him getting supplies flown in. He never once said that he didnt have outside help once in awhile he paid for the supplies. There is allways some one that has to find fault in everything.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Trapper

I enjoyed his one and documentary.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,215 Posts

He was panning for gold when it was worth $35/oz and said he actually spent a total of $40 to build the cabin windows incl. I especially loved the part where he built the dutch front door complete with locking latch by hand out of the local wood.
It's a shame to have read the books and not seen his filmography which he filmed all by himself. He was not only an outdoorsman but quite the picture taker.
The Following User Says Thank You to hedley For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,190 Times in 2,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddTheViking View Post
Have you seen the video? There's a part where he films himself sharpening an ax or some other tool, and you see his bicep flexing. I have no doubt this guy could drag that wood.
Yep, since my original post on the subject two years ago, I bought all eight DVDs and my son and wife and I have probably watched them 50 times combined. My son and I especially ... it's right there with our obsession for Jeremiah Johnson.

But I have since found-out that he had a friend accompany him his first year up there, before he started making the film, that helped him cut those logs. Once they were dried he was able to handle them, but he had help with the log cutting the year before. It's in the DVD's notes and also on the website these days I believe?

The whole video series has been booming since the survivalist prepper boom of the last few years.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:23 AM
The end is,,,,,

Thanked 13,169 Times in 5,516 Posts

This guy rocked it out for a long time. This is what got me going. He started it all for me.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,989 Times in 1,877 Posts

This is not a survival in the wilderness film. Yes he had a garden and hunted, but everything else was flown in. I don't say this to take anything away from Mr. Proenneke, he is the real deal. IMHO he would be the first to tell you that without the supplies flown in he could not of stayed there year round.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:56 AM

I met **** in the early 90's. My father and I flew in and were hunting not to far from his cabin. He truly was a great guy, He'd sit and talk with you for a bit then get back to work. Always had work to do. His cabin is still there but you can not rent it! Its being treated as a museum. Your welcome to visit it, if you have the means to make it there.
The Following User Says Thank You to AKSurvival For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,430 Times in 3,476 Posts

Its "Into the Wild" without the death of the author. Great videos.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:06 PM

I'm a fan too. I watched all 4 films and have read about him on the net. Haven't read his books as my eyes can't take that for long. Here's a couple of things I've wondered about... He had no electricity or gas, so how did he light the cabin during the long, dark Alaska winters? I suspect kerosine lamps... That's probably where all those fuel cans he used came from. And what did he do about bathing? In the summer he could have braved the chilly water of the lake... but in the winter? I also can't help but wonder if his fireplace had a damper, I couldn't see any in the film of him building it. If not, he would have had a lot of heat going up the chemney and the fireplace sucking in cold air. I suspect it was mainly for atmosphere and was used sparingly in the winter. The cast iron stove would have been the main heat source. There are a lot of things about his like style that are unclear.

Let's face it, most of us couldn't do what he did. Even if you're physically able to handle the rigors of that life style that's only half the battle. People are social animals and need the company of other people. Living alone in the dark Alaska winter with minimal light, a tiny cabin, no radio, tv or other person to talk to, is a recipe for acute cabin fever. In other words, you would probably go nuts. I lived in Alaska in the 1950's as a young boy, in a small village (Thane) of only about 50 people. We had a small cabin and would get snowed in for weeks at a time when the road was blocked. Point is, I can still remember how jumpy everyone would get after a while... and we were not alone. He was a rare breed.

Finally (and I don't know if I should mention this here) if you're into bit torrents you can get all his films for free.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:37 PM
CTP

Thanked 1,339 Times in 699 Posts

Got to order the video set.

Question. What material did/would he use for the roofing to keep things water tight?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:48 PM
... --- ...

Thanked 45,866 Times in 10,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blzn View Post
Got to order the video set.

Question. What material did/would he use for the roofing to keep things water tight?
I believe he covered the roof with sod, but not sure about anything else. I loved this movie, I catch it on GPTV every now and then. I love the old,casual tone of the narration, it reminds me of some of the older films they'd show us back in elementary school.
The Following User Says Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

He covered the roof with moss but underneath that he nailed down a double layer of plastic sheeting. He stated in the movie that shows the cabin build that he felt bad using polyethylene sheeting because it wasn't a true wilderness material but he was sure it would do a better job at keeping the weather out.

As far as lighting he had both Coleman lanterns and kerosene lamps. He stared in his journal that he enjoyed the kerosene lamps better because they were quiet.

I have watched the movies several times and have two books of his. Hopefully someday I will be able yo visit his cabin as well.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:34 PM
regular

There are a handful of movies/shows about him, but, IMHO, "Alone in the Wilderness" is by far the most enjoyable.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:01 PM
-

Thanked 1,333 Times in 680 Posts

His log (several hundred pages) is a must read. More Reading from One Man's Wilderness. There are daily tidbits and trip reports and thoughts that the documentary was not able to capture and craim in the made for tv hour.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:21 PM

I've lived my fantacy through this guy! I'm sure we all have wanted to do what he did. Its the ultimate test. You not only must be skilled in many disciplines, but you must also have an intimate love with nature. Many would go totally insane just because of the lack of human contact.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:08 AM

Folks... I finally got to visit this cabin on June 15th. It met and exceeded my expectations. All I can say is I had, and after stepping foot in the same places as Proenneke, still have the utmost respect for this man.

If any of you can visit the cabin at Twin Lakes, I highly recommend the experience. Proenneke has held such a place of status in my mind that when we were on short final in the super cub on Twin Lakes, I actually teared up when thanking my pilot for getting me there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fletcher Christian For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2016, 07:01 AM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,377 Times in 1,669 Posts

And some would go totally insane from what is considered normal amount of human contact. It is a interesting experience to go six months alone isolated in a small arctic cabin. Even more interesting is the strange experience of the first hearing a human voice after six months.

Something I wrote, from my experience:

The wilderness can change a man............

There is a real transformation that can metamorphose within a man who is alone in the wilderness. He can exit the wilderness fragile, very fragile, he is no longer sure where that which is himself ends and that which is not himself starts.

Everything is kind of fuzzy, and has a softness about it, all things appear slightly blurred to the eye, like after one has been crying, and it can be hard to distinguish where one object stops and another object starts.

He feels weak and vulnerable, but centered. In fact he is stronger, but the feeling of weakness, and vulnerability comes from the loss of arrogance.

There is a clarity about the perfection of everything. Sounds are crisper, colors are different, there are so many more (new) colors now.

He feels as if he is looking through things and through people, this is a very uncomfortable experience, he tries to focus, but he just looks through everything.

Part of him wants to go back to the way it was, before being alone in the wilderness. But he also enjoys the bliss of how it is now. He wants to weep for no reason, but for the perfection of everything.

He has change, and can not change back to that which he was before, being alone in the wilderness.

I know not of drugs, but being alone in the wilderness, for long periods will change your perception of the universe. The universe is the same, but you have shifted to a place where you can see, with new eyes, a new heart, and a new empathy for all life. You have been born a second time, and are a child of the wilderness.

There was a time long ago, that a man was encouraged to go into the wilderness alone for a extended period, so that he might find wisdom about life. Sad it is discouraged today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ray View Post
Many would go totally insane just because of the lack of human contact.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post: