Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U.S. Marine Corps Mountain Survival Course/Survival Training School of California stsc1 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 15 02-06-2018 07:37 PM
Training a Silky Terrier for squirrel hunting. ATLPilgrim Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 21 02-21-2015 11:15 PM
Training hunting dog, looking for advice Riverhound General Discussion 16 02-19-2015 09:20 PM
Survival Strength Training Survival Strength Fitness Blogs 0 09-02-2014 03:18 PM
Training for Survival vs. training to look good SandyBurton Health, Fitness and First Aid 21 01-05-2013 05:01 PM
Strength Training Supplements The Heathen Health, Fitness and First Aid 16 09-20-2012 09:07 PM
Survival Training: Upcoming Central Rockies Lightfoot Survival Training firestat Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 02-22-2012 08:57 PM
Need Help training Dog for hunting Crutch Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 04-27-2011 04:34 PM
Importance of Mental/Spiritual Strength in Survival Gulcher General Discussion 1 11-25-2010 01:19 PM

Old 09-12-2014, 01:42 PM

Default Strength Training For Hunting / Survival

Advertise Here

I'm not sure if anyone out there does this, but I've been training for hunting trips to gather food for a while now. Not only that, but to have more of a physical toughness mind and body.

Hunting above 7000 feet makes everything difficult. Especially when you get an animal down. I use no motorized devises or horses so physical strength is a major priority and is why I started doing this.

Does anyone else strength train or do anything to stay in shape for their hunting trips or outdoor objectives?

With everything going on in the planet these skills are critical in my opinion. You can have all the survival tools, but if the physical and mental strength lacks there's a whole in the survival scheme of planning.

I even started blogging my progress with all this. Anyone out there strength train to survive? Let me know because I would love to hear what everyone's been doing.

Last edited by Pawpaw120; 09-16-2014 at 05:29 AM.. Reason: Edited out link
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Survival Strength For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Anvils and Welders

Thanked 23,945 Times in 4,443 Posts

This is a subject I have been very interested in here lately. I live in one of those places where hunting can take an extreme amount of exertation and endurance and have been wanting to get in better shape. I have a whole list of legitimate excuses, but the fact remains, I have no excuse.

Clue us in and give us some more details.

Tex
Old 09-12-2014, 02:50 PM
life member

Thanked 2,135 Times in 715 Posts

my cousin would take concrete blocks tie a rope to them and drag them thru the woods
The Following User Says Thank You to last1standing For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 07:15 PM
Average Joe

Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,185 Posts

I'm not sure that strength training for hunting is really all that different from strength training in general. If you want to get stronger, do it. It will benefit every part of your life, not just one. I would also say that of greater importance than raw strength is endurance and stamina.
The Following User Says Thank You to TDFbound For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2014, 09:11 PM
Hiker

I had a buddy that went hunting in the Rockies every year. We live at like, 200 feet above sea level. So, to train he would put on his loaded pack and walk up and down the parking deck every day for a couple of months before his trip. He told me that the first year he went he suffered so bad that it ruined his trip. So, he actually trained for the trip every year. He would also be in the gym at about 5am most days during that time doing strength training.

I would also note that he got lost for several days in the Rockies on one of his trips. He had packed a day pack and had his rifle. Somehow he got lost and it took him several days to find his way. He said that he had packed a bag of candy bars and that's what he lived off of. He told me that he never really felt scared just concerned. He said that he believed that his physical fitness probably saved his life during that time. For one thing he felt strong so, he never felt panicked, just a little hungry.
The Following User Says Thank You to falconbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2014, 02:00 PM

Anytime you train the question needs to be asked for what do you train for? For example I wouldn't train like a football player to go hiking. The energy systems that are used are completely different. For example if you're in the back country the focus will be primarily on strength endurance to get in shape for it. The same goes for hunting. If you are lucky enough to knock down an animal be ready for the long haul.

Here's some ideas that need to be taken into consideration...

Altitude, weather, terrain, weight of pack, animal.

Just walking at high altitudes increase heart rate big time. Add weight to that and it's magnified. There's so many things to consider that many don't think about, but just training the common 3 x 10 reps or training like a bodybuilder won't cut it.

training complexes are my go to with the getting in shape for the high country. The carry over effect is great for the altitude plus it gets you jacked.

Here's what a complex looks like...

1) Barbell Overhead Press x 5
2) Front Squat x 5
3) Bent Row x 5
4) Reverse Barbell Lunge x 5
5) RDL (romanian dead lift) x 5

This is just one example of many that you can do, but complexes are awesome!
Old 09-15-2014, 02:07 PM
Military MOM

Thanked 7,388 Times in 2,866 Posts

Put a loaded backpack on, and walk on an inclined treadmill. That is, if you don't have hills and mountains to climb. Run different scenarios in your mind while walking. Yoga is good too. If you don't stretch the muscles before and after, you could be in a world of hurt. It is also good for strength and endurance.