Plan for Setbacks - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bunker plan, with pictures inside. I want to build one, is this a decent plan? danman132x Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 25 08-12-2016 03:23 PM
"Expect the Unexpected." Is the best plan a lack of a plan? BurtGummer Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 30 01-21-2014 08:10 AM
What Is Your Plan? merlinfire Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 29 07-22-2013 03:34 PM
Bug out plan? Froyatro Skandinaviske 45 10-07-2011 04:16 PM
The Bug In Plan Westfalia Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 07-10-2011 10:32 AM
Bug Out Plan northidahofisher Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 07-08-2011 10:48 AM
After a Year of Setbacks, U.N. Looks to Take Charge of World's Agenda 375H&H General Discussion 6 09-09-2010 09:19 AM
Plan A, Plan B, Plan C. How Much Time We Have -- Gloom And Doom! TAKEZO Political News and Discussion 20 05-15-2009 10:06 PM
for those wh plan to bob? reaper6 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 08-19-2008 07:40 AM

Old 02-06-2011, 02:54 PM
viam inveniam aut faciam

Default Plan for Setbacks

Advertise Here

Plan for Setbacks

So one of the troubles with living in the North is that it can get really cold up here, for months at a time. This season being one of our weirdest has brought us temps ranging from -38 to +4 Celsius (-36 to +39 Fahrenheit) in the same week!

I like storing a little water in my truck as apart of the few items I keep for problems on the road. This winter, I setup a plan to see if my standard issue thermos was up to the task of maintaining 1L of water above freezing inside of my truck for 3 days. It was not.

On day 1, no problems were noted, and the water was a little brisk, but tasted great.

On day 2, I didn't open up the thermos but gave it a good shake and didn't hear any slush or ice.

On day 3, I found the cap-seal blown off. Apparently the thermos over-pressurized. I had left enough room for ice expansion, but didn't count on the air-tight seal to out last the aluminum.

And this week was one of our warmest. Probably had a great deal of influence on the performance of the thermos.

So, lessons learned: Plan for Setbacks, or failures in equipment. You never know when the gear you use to help you out might just fail. Standard issue was brought to you by the lowest bidder. Last but not least, regular checks of our gear are critical!

Stay warm!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cryptix For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Adventurer

This is true. Always try to keep a second of things you know or expect could possibly break.
The Following User Says Thank You to ATLPilgrim For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,022 Times in 616 Posts

-38 c??? I need long johns when it drops below 0 c. LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,746 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

That makes a point I keep pushing. Test everything. If your life may depend on it some day, test it, learn it inside and out. Whether it's a gun, a bug out bag, or whatever. Put it through it's paces. Find out if it's right for you, if it will do what you need it to do, etc.

Sorry for the loss of your thermos, but that was a good lesson to learn and good knowledge to pass on to us.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Armchair Prepper

Here's what I figured out for trunk kit water while living a winter in North Dakota.

I keep 6 20 ounce bottles of aqua-fina (heaviest plastic bottles I could find) in a roughly 6 pack size styrofoam shipping container from some frozen mail order steak company.

I also keep 3 MRE heaters in the container along with a 4 ounce Datrex water pouch.

I can melt the 4 ounce pouch by putting it in an inside jacket pocket, then use the water to activate the MRE heaters. This will thaw all 6 bottles when it's -20 F, so it will probably work at -39 C.

Keep flames away from the container.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AceScanner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2011, 12:09 AM
viam inveniam aut faciam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceScanner View Post
Here's what I figured out for trunk kit water while living a winter in North Dakota.

I keep 6 20 ounce bottles of aqua-fina (heaviest plastic bottles I could find) in a roughly 6 pack size styrofoam shipping container from some frozen mail order steak company.

I also keep 3 MRE heaters in the container along with a 4 ounce Datrex water pouch.

I can melt the 4 ounce pouch by putting it in an inside jacket pocket, then use the water to activate the MRE heaters. This will thaw all 6 bottles when it's -20 F, so it will probably work at -39 C.

Keep flames away from the container.
Thanks for the great, and simple, idea. As it has been just the case in the past, the cheapo bottles of store water have expanded, but haven't burst. I'm thinking that from now on I'll be keeping the Thermos empty until needed to keep warm fluids warm or cool liquids cool.

Using disposable bottles for more austere environments sounds like a good call in this case.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cryptix For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2011, 02:53 AM
ill prepared

Two is one and one is NONE!!! Get's expensive and hard to justify to the wife but if it's important Murphy's law will bend you over.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:52 AM
Just a rock & spear guy

Thanked 1,639 Times in 620 Posts
Default Have a back up plan for your back up plan

We heat with oil, forced hot air furnace on the below zero days and run a pellet stove the rest of the time. I have a small generator to run the pellet stove if the power goes out. Don't have a transfer panel to run the furnace ...yet.

Well, last month the power stayed on but the pellet stove circuit board fritzed out. Concern for incoming ice storms prompted me to run out and and get a kerosene convection heater (and co2 detector w/ battery back up).

We've been running the K-heater during the daytime and have found it heats 1,000 sqft just as well as the pellet stove.

Now we just need to find a replacement circuit board for the pellet stove.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Armchair Prepper

Cheapo bottles didn't work for me.

I travel worldwide, so while heading home in various airports I picked up bottles of water. (I'm a scientist, and that's the sort of thing we think is fun.) I put them all in a cardboard box lined with a plastic bag and froze them in my basement chest freezer at 0 F. After the last new bottle had been in there a week, I took them out and let them thaw. Froze them again. Thawed them.

After more than a dozen freeze/thaw cycles, I noticed that bottles with any shape other than the classic 2-liter style cylinder were more likely to have issues. Some leaked.

Then, I took the surviving frozen bottles and dropped them 3 times each on the concrete floor from 1 meter - on the cap, on the side, and at a 45 degree (approx) angle on the bottom.

Again, the bottles with any shape other than the classic 2-liter were more likely to have issues.

That's how I ended up with 20 ounce bottles of Aqua Fina. Heaviest plastic in the right shape.

I put the heaters in an "H" shape, so that each heater has bottles on both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptix View Post
Thanks for the great, and simple, idea. As it has been just the case in the past, the cheapo bottles of store water have expanded, but haven't burst. I'm thinking that from now on I'll be keeping the Thermos empty until needed to keep warm fluids warm or cool liquids cool.

Using disposable bottles for more austere environments sounds like a good call in this case.

The Following User Says Thank You to AceScanner For This Useful Post: