Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Merkel - We Europeans must take our destiny into our own hands Re3UBCS Political News and Discussion 937 06-14-2019 10:42 AM
How many have 22LR for self defence. sixtus Pistol and Revolver Forum 209 02-25-2018 12:38 AM
Gun Control & Anti-Self Defence Laws in Australia. Why? Le Loup Australia and New Zealand 29 11-12-2017 11:51 PM
Is bonded ammo the best choice for SHTF defense? Inazone Firearms General Discussion 13 08-15-2017 08:10 PM
Training for knife self defence MagicPuff Urban Survival 105 05-28-2017 02:56 PM

Old 05-10-2018, 04:05 PM
Lunes

Default The best self defence choice

Advertise Here

Hello, what characteristics is best for a weapon for self defence, in most situations?

Aspects like; Easy to use, fast to draw, compact, stopping power, allaround situations, etc.

If you had to choose by either

1. A compact caliber .22lr, repeater
2. Gas gun OC/CS/CN
3. Pepper spray, any types
4. Paintball marker, any type of balls and marker.
5. Knife, any types

Or if you could combinate these weapons, which weapon would you choose first, how would you make up your strategy?

I have my thoughts, but i want to know yours.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2018, 01:44 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,329 Times in 823 Posts

What exactly am I protecting myself from and what do they have?

If he/they are armed with gun I want firepower.
If he/they have a knife I want firepower.
If he/they have spray I want firepower.

The problem here is that if your attacked they have the upper hand and you do not know what, how, how many, or the level of escalation that's coming next. I err on the side of making multiple holes for bodily fluids to leak out if possible and your hi cap 22 beats throwing harsh language any day.

Like my hero Burt Gummer you simply can't have to much firepower.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xstuntman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 11:19 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,491 Times in 8,962 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I do not consider the .22 non-lethal.

And of the other choices, I do not believe any of them meet the OP criteria of characteristics of best (less-than-lethal) weapon for self-defense in most situations.

Each has pros and cons for different situations, but none have all that many that work in 'most situations', which covers a huge amount of territory.

I believe the characteristics required for such a less-than-lethal weapon would be:

1) Concealable - either physically, or as in it would not be considered a weapon by most people

2) Ease of deployment - Need to get it into use both quickly and easily, without telegraphing the intent

3) Ease of use - Not necessarily with no training, but only minor training and practice required to be able to use effectively without hesitation

4) Effectiveness - As killing ability is not a major consideration, but defending oneself from an attack is, which means either stopping the attacker(s) in their tracks, putting them in a position from which they cannot continue the attack, physically disabling them, creating the opportunity to get away without adding additional risk, or some combination.

5) Fear factor - While one does not want the potential attacker(s) to realize that one does, in fact, have an effective weapon, once it is obvious that what you have is, in fact, a weapon, it will be much more effective overall if that sudden realization comes with another realization, that not only is it a weapon, but that it has great potential to do them harm, preferably painfully, and/or ensure that they will be caught by the authorities.

6) Attitude - And the most powerful of all, is the weapon wielders attitude. I the potential attacker(s) realize, or even get the feeling that a person is not only capable of defending themselves, but willing to, and even carrying out their own attack, the attacker(s) are much more likely to back off before starting the attack. And if they do continue, any doubt that can be placed in their mind that they might not win, will help insure that they do not win.

I do not really know of any single weapon, with Attitude not being a weapon, but part of a defense system, that has all the characteristics listed, to fit the bill. However, I do think that a fairly small set of items can be used in concert to achieve the same level of effectiveness.

Here is the list of items, by use:

1) Striking tool - Something that can land an effective blow to a vulnerable part of an attacker(s) body, without having to get (or letting them get) any closer than absolutely necessary. A good walking stick works well, if you are willing to use one, needed or not. An expandable baton, if legal is another choice. A purse (or man-purse), computer bag that is carried so it is easily swung on a moments notice, one of the longer, slim 'tactical' flashlights carried in a quickly accessible spot. Most are not obvious defensive weapons, other than the walking stick, perhaps.

2) Diversion item(s) - If an attacker(s) can be distracted, it will often give a person time to either make their own attack, or get away. A personal alarm, carried so it takes only a slight tug on the pull cord that is right there by where your hand would most likely be, will work. So will a small air horn, if it can be carried where it is accessible, but not in sight. That loud blast, if not expected, is extremely startling. Especially if one can get it out and point it right at them from an arm's length away. A rescue whistle, if it can be carried unobserved, but can easily be put in your mouth at the first sign of trouble, like the air horn and personal alarm, can be both a distraction and help call attention to the situation so someone might help. Many other things can be used. The coins tossed at the face might work, but I would not count on it. If you cannot carry pepper spray or the like, you might carry some cayenne pepper in a container that you can pop and throw or blow into an attacker(s)' face. Many options. Think outside the box and be creative.

3) Disabling device(s) - My choice here is a lightly weighted small net. It does not have to be large or heavy. And can be carried in several ways so it can be withdrawn, and flick out so it will open and entangle the attacker. Either the weapon, arms, head/face, or any other part of the body that will slow the person down. The Retiarius gladiators were one of the most successful group of gladiators in Roman history. They used a trident as a weapon, but their success was largely based on the weighted net they used to ensnare their opponent, whereupon they were able to do pretty much anything they wanted. There are some other options, such as a light bolo that can be carried so it can be drawn and swung in a motion to open it and entangle an attacker's legs. The bolo and net both, having some weight, though not all that much, can also be used to strike with. And the net does not have to be flung open to be effective. It can also be used like a weighted rope to wrap around the attacker's arm to immobilize a weapon. Again, many options.

4) Fear inducing items - I mentioned the Retiarius's net. But a version of their trident can have some serious intimidation factors. A person certainly cannot carry a long trident around with them. But think about a small fish or frog gig, even without a handle, or with a very short one, with those multiple points, and those very wicked looking barbs that, when a fish or frog is gigged, hold it onto the gig. Not too many people will willing go against something they can see is going to be very painful going in, and even more painful coming out. A person can make one with little trouble that will look even more intimidating and be both easier to carry and less noticeable when carried, and more easily deployed. If a person can carry a blade, a much more intimidating type is a hawk bill type knife, especially one with a serrated blade, like the Spyderco C08 Harpy. It can be opened one handed, and when open, that serrated claw with sharp point is fearsome looking. And easy to use, because if a person is even touched, the blade wants to hang, and with the curve, digs in as it is drawn back. Anything that can be used to cause an attack to fear for their eyes is a very good fear inducing item. Flame items work, though the really tall flame lighters are not common anymore, some of the mini torches might work, but tend to be large. An item similar to the frog gig, but smaller and particularly suited to jabbing into the eyes is good. Again, more thinking outside the box is useful here.

5) Deep cover item - One item that must be selected with care, and carried were it can be in hand quickly, and is a arm's length or less weapon, that hardly anyone will think of as a weapon, is one of the plasma arc lighters. It does have to be one where the lid flips all the way back, so the arc fingers can be pressed to a person's skin. It amounts to a mini-stun gun, though without the full take down power. What it does do, is startle someone, give them a shock, but most effective, is the intense burn they will receive. And if a person keeps jabbing at exposed skin, especially the face, the attacker will back off. But you do have to make sure they cannot slap it out of your hand, because that will be their natural reaction to get the pain away from them.

No matter what item you choose, once it becomes obvious to the attackers that it is a weapon, make sure you stance, movements, eyes, and everything else screams competency and confidence. That makes any weapon, tool, or device much more effective. And simply looking like that beforehand will often keep anyone from considering you a potential victim.

There are many other options, these are just a few of mine.

Just my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2018, 09:43 AM
Golfer

Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,326 Posts

Bear spray.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:58 AM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 9,281 Times in 3,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunes View Post
Hello, what characteristics is best for a weapon for self defence, in most situations?

Aspects like; Easy to use, fast to draw, compact, stopping power, allaround situations, etc.

2. Gas gun OC/CS/CN
5. Knife, any types

Or if you could combinate these weapons, which weapon would you choose first, how would you make up your strategy?

Can you tell us how or why you came up the choices?

Why would you use a .22 if you could also use a 9mm, for instance?

Each is equal in the eyes of the law in most places.

Of the choices, I would go with several shots to the head with a .22 if its life or death.

I don't think its a good idea to shoot someone to wound them, but your question is interesting.

When you say "most situations," I ask, Where?

NYNY, Texas, or a war zone in Syria? Each probably has a different answer
Old 08-11-2018, 07:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,556 Times in 4,097 Posts

2) Diversion item(s)

VERY bright flashlight. Even in daylight they can blind the perp for a few seconds, maybe enough time to do something to help yourself. Even a blunt penlight stab can be painful. Plus a flashlight is LEGAL anywhere anytime.
The Following User Says Thank You to real wowwee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2018, 08:05 AM
Let the Debate begin

The problem with most choices is deployment. Can you deploy it effectively under extreme stress?

The other problem is, What are the consequences?

George Zimmerman learned the hard way that even if you are correct in the eyes of the law, they can make your life hell for killing an idiot.

Keeping those two things in mind, none of the above.

You want something to defend yourself with that will make you look good not just to a jury, but the general public.

You want something won't be confiscated by a Cop, anywhere, not even on an airplane.

You want something that won't spill blood all over the place for the above reasons.

You want something that will already be in your hand, and may even be there if you are stupid enough to get sucker punched.

You want, a custom made cane. Something heavier and stronger than anything you could buy at a drug store.

And you want to study cane fighting, and practice, practice, practice.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Truck Vet For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2018, 10:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,446 Times in 1,701 Posts

Uh,running your butt off comes to mind.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:09 PM
Golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Vet View Post
The problem with most choices is deployment. Can you deploy it effectively under extreme stress?

Correct. And not so much "can" you deploy is as "will" you. Someone making threatening-looking moves, are you willing to pull out your gun and unload it on him? Really? Or do you hold off until you are 100% sure he is/is going to hit/stab/shoot you?

Those are not the only two choices. There is pepper spray. Solves the dilemma.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:17 PM
Let the Debate begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post
Correct. And not so much "can" you deploy is as "will" you. Someone making threatening-looking moves, are you willing to pull out your gun and unload it on him? Really? Or do you hold off until you are 100% sure he is/is going to hit/stab/shoot you?

Those are not the only two choices. There is pepper spray. Solves the dilemma.
I recently saw a You Tube video where officers were pepper spraying a man
over and over again, it just made the guy more angry and seemingly stronger.
Finally they overcame him with sheer numbers but they were effected themselves.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_vX9FtjLaQ

Pepper spray can be effective, but I would not count on it. To each his own.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truck Vet For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2018, 11:02 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,344 Times in 11,462 Posts
Default a traditional item, that replaced the sword when that was banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Vet View Post

George Zimmerman learned the hard way that even if you are correct in the eyes of the law, they can make your life hell for killing an idiot.

Keeping those two things in mind, none of the above.

You want something to defend yourself with that will make you look good not just to a jury, but the general public.

You want something won't be confiscated by a Cop, anywhere, not even on an airplane.

You want something that won't spill blood all over the place for the above reasons.

You want something that will already be in your hand, and may even be there if you are stupid enough to get sucker punched.

You want, a custom made cane. Something heavier and stronger than anything you could buy at a drug store.

And you want to study cane fighting, and practice, practice, practice.
by the British in ERIE (Ireland) the Blackthorn Stick. if its a real one and not a copy, you are not going to break it, no matter how many heads you crack.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2018, 10:23 AM
Hiker

My first choice is always a firearm and something more than a .22. I carry a Spyderco Endura, only function is defense as I don't use it for a general knife.

I agree with those who recommended a cane or walking stick which can be taken anywhere including airplanes and areas beyond the metal detector. Under HIPAA, you cannot be asked the reason you carry a cane and you don't need to fake a limp. It's a medical device and can't be questioned.

A cane is effective at greater distance than a knife, sap, or other striking implement.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inusuit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2018, 11:34 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 31,996 Times in 7,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunes View Post

2. Gas gun OC/CS/CN
5. Knife, any types

Next up, what's the best vehicle?

1. Race car
2. Pickup truck
3. Mountain bike
4. Quad runner
5. Horse
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2018, 02:02 PM
Let the Debate begin

My first choice is a pistol also. I like it because I can conceal it. But like so many others, I don't carry one because I live in a State that won't let me.
I would rather die than spend years in Jail.

You could say the same thing about a knife.

Until the OP comes up with the place we are talking about, and yes, even Pepper spray probably is banned in some places...

The only real answer is a Cane. Unless you want to carry crutches.

Every State has different laws. But the Federal Government came out with a law that states they have to let you have a Cane.

We all need to vote so that we all can carry a Pistol in the same way as long as we are not a felon.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:18 AM
High Concept

Thanked 6,736 Times in 2,434 Posts

A solid timber walking cane with a crook so you can hang it on your forearm when you need to use two hands for something.

Don't get the canes with ornamentations or grooves cut into them, they can break on those weak points.

Nice straight grain and impact resistant timber.

And Hickory Jo staff with the carbide end for walking with. Kingfisher makes these high quality staffs.

If you can't get the hickory Jo staff, get the Japanese white oak.

The Jo is a deadly weapon.

https://youtu.be/aEdzr8YUojQ

https://youtu.be/reLFbpTSKF4
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rett For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2018, 03:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,987 Times in 7,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rett View Post

A solid timber walking cane with a crook so you can hang it on your forearm when you need to use two hands for something.

Don't get the canes with ornamentations or grooves cut into them, they can break on those weak points.

Nice straight grain and impact resistant timber.

And Hickory Jo staff with the carbide end for walking with. Kingfisher makes these high quality staffs.

If you can't get the hickory Jo staff, get the Japanese white oak.

The Jo is a deadly weapon.

https://youtu.be/aEdzr8YUojQ
KA-BAR makes one from a solid bar of aluminum which weighs 2 lbs

while your one is cool the metal one is cooler
The Following User Says Thank You to Baddogg5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2018, 03:57 AM
Prepared

Situational awareness is the best defensive weapon.
The Following User Says Thank You to 273andme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2018, 07:47 AM
Let the Debate begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddogg5 View Post
KA-BAR makes one from a solid bar of aluminum which weighs 2 lbs

while your one is cool the metal one is cooler
There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Wood feels much better to the bare hand, when its hot or cold out. The KA-BAR cane is over 100 dollars.
The KA-BAR appears to be hollow in some places so I wonder if you could store things in there?

I will watch the price on that KA-BAR and maybe buy it in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to Truck Vet For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2018, 08:18 AM
Golfer

In SHTF situations and neighborhoods where thugs are on the outlook for robbery opportunities I think a man with a cane would attract some unwanted attention.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:35 AM
Let the Debate begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post
In SHTF situations and neighborhoods where thugs are on the outlook for robbery opportunities I think a man with a cane would attract some unwanted attention.
Really? In a SHTF situation?

When the SHTF do you really think people will be just standing around looking at other people? Or will there be things happening to occupy their time?

If people are shooting at each other, will a cane matter?