Rural security / perimeter defense education - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-08-2020, 07:25 PM

Default Rural security / perimeter defense education

Advertise Here

I'm interested in educating myself on the techniques and philosophies of perimeter defense and rural homestead security with regards to both human and wild predators.

Currently searching for land and/or a home and I want to make an educated decision.

Are there any books or documents the community considers with any level of regard that would be helpful in my journey for this education?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieHack69 View Post
I'm interested in educating myself on the techniques and philosophies of perimeter defense and rural homestead security with regards to both human and wild predators.

Currently searching for land and/or a home and I want to make an educated decision.

Are there any books or documents the community considers with any level of regard that would be helpful in my journey for this education?

Thanks!
Tons of videos on YouTube on the subject my friend
Old 09-08-2020, 08:25 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,795 Times in 620 Posts

This is a huge topic that I would suggest you break down into separate topics.....generally plan on an entire property fence, some ass eating dogs and perimeter cameras to start.

HK
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henrykjr For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2020, 02:32 PM

M9A1MAN, I get that much. It's a matter of sifting through the bull**** and getting to the reliable ones. That is why I come here to ask folks who I feel are more reliable than those I find on SM sites like YT. But, thanks for directing me to go search for it. Very helpful.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
M9A1MAN, I get that much. It's a matter of sifting through the bull**** and getting to the reliable ones. That is why I come here to ask folks who I feel are more reliable than those I find on SM sites like YT. But, thanks for directing me to go search for it. Very helpful.
Sure, no problem
Old 09-09-2020, 04:38 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 31,086 Times in 10,711 Posts

I would start looking at military manuals. When you don't have all their play toys you need to be field expedient. Look at your compound and see how you would attack it.

Might be something here. https://www.survivalistboards.com/do...p?do=cat&id=12

Drone or camera's would be a good start.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 04:43 PM
Bugged out already

Thanked 8,858 Times in 3,204 Posts

The Personal Survival Letters by Mel Tappin in the 1970s had some very excellent detailed narratives of the atrocities against homesteaders/farmers in Rhodesia that is very relevant to your questions on the threats that we will soon be facing in Rural America if what is happening in the city come to our neighborhoods. The letters also offered some ideas on homestead defense that is as good as I’ve seen anywhere. You should be able to find the PDF of the PSL online with some searches.

I am sure this forum has some military manuals on defenses that you can find. There is a section of thousands of manuals and documents.

This will get real, and I recommend your plans include creating escape plans in addition to perimeter defenses. They will pick us off one by one, so they can bring a lot of forces to the table. Those of us who live in isolated areas need to have the ability to slip away if faced with uncontrollable mobs that will overwhelm defenses.

Protecting against individual or small unorganized thugs is certainly doable.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Alaskajohn For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 04:57 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 2,738 Times in 1,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskajohn View Post
The Personal Survival Letters by Mel Tappin in the 1970s had some very excellent detailed narratives of the atrocities against homesteaders/farmers in Rhodesia that is very relevant to you questions on the threats that we will soon be facing in Rural America if what is happening in the city come to our neighborhoods. The letters also offered some ideas on homestead defense that is as good as Iíve seen anywhere. You should be able to find the PDF of the PSL online with some searches.
If anyone has PDF or even word doc copies of the PSL I would love a link or copy myself. I have been searching but can't locate links that are still active.

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to harleyrider86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 06:09 PM
Peckerwood from the Hills

Do you have a military background? Some of the things we would have looked for then can apply to your situation. I don't know what sort of acreage you are looking for, but personally it can not realistically be like 5 -10 acres. In other words can I defend it, and against what? Fences even now mean very little to people, especially the tweakers. Even in a very rural area, they have now moved out of the local towns/cities. They can hide from the LEO's better...and steal more.

From the dwelling, what is the view...the fields of fire? Personally I like the high ground. Is the water supply defensible? If it is on public water supply lines it should be a non-starter. If the power goes out water will have to be pulled by a water bucket and rope. If you are going to have to be in the open I would just wait you out. You wouldn't even hear the shot before it hit you. If the dwelling can not be seen from the road, even better.

Does it have a place for livestock? Even goats, sheep, rabbits, quail, chickens. Does it have gardening areas...or a place to put them? Again we are not talking 12 by 20 ft here. It generally takes a lot of garden space to feed a family of four. Until you have done it (that doesn't mean read a book)...and consistently produced enough to feed them for a year, it probably won't gel. It is a lot of work but gratifying when you look at a pantry that you and yours grew and put up yourselves. At that point you are not dependent on grocery stores...except for things like flour, rice, yeast. Even those can be obtained if you have enough space.

Are there potential sites (military crest) for outposts if needed? Is the driveway defensible? Do you want electronic alarms? Do you want improvised alarms (non-electric)? Guinea hens are a pain in the rear, but they will sound the alarm. Do you want a dog or two? They can be trained to walk a perimeter line regularly.

A marginal site can be fortified. When looking imagine you are the A--hole trying to assault it. How would you do it. Ask the question of weak areas; can they be fortified, and at what cost? If too many, too difficult to fortify, move to the next prospect...

Hope it helps. Good luck
Old 09-09-2020, 06:31 PM
Peckerwood from the Hills

OP, if you have other questions PM me. I will try to help, but please bear with me as I don't get on here often.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:50 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 11,006 Times in 2,886 Posts

Quote:

Thanks!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Contact-A-T...sAAOSw9PxeRO7c
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider86 View Post
If anyone has PDF or even word doc copies of the PSL I would love a link or copy myself. I have been searching but can't locate links that are still active.

Mark

This? Thanks for the suggestion.

https://www.giltweasel.com/stuff/Tap...20Survival.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to OkieHack69 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog006 View Post
OP, if you have other questions PM me. I will try to help, but please bear with me as I don't get on here often.

Thank you for the well written and extremely thought provocative reply. I now have more stuff to research and target. Iíll certainly reach out at some point.

Btw, thinking 20-40+ acres.

Again, thanks!

Old 09-09-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
I would start looking at military manuals. When you don't have all their play toys you need to be field expedient. Look at your compound and see how you would attack it.

Might be something here. https://www.survivalistboards.com/do...p?do=cat&id=12

Drone or camera's would be a good start.

Great resource. Thank you

Old 09-09-2020, 08:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,208 Times in 3,253 Posts

The dangers are meth labs, teenage tweekers on ATVs and creepers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rural Buckeye Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 10:32 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 38,922 Times in 10,743 Posts

Quote:
Thank you for the well written and extremely thought provocative reply. I now have more stuff to research and target. Iíll certainly reach out at some point.

Btw, thinking 20-40+ acres.

Again, thanks!

Thinking of 20-40 ac where?
A big part of rural security is location.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 08:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,509 Times in 1,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider86 View Post

Mark
https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threa...letter.137187/

Quote:
Personal Survival Letter is a survival newsletter published from 1977 to around 1982. I converted them into a Word file.

These attachments are in zipped Word files.

View attachment PSL1.zip

View attachment PSL2.zip

View attachment PSL3.zip
The Following User Says Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 08:39 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,807 Times in 660 Posts

An obstacle is not an obstacle unless it's covered by fire.

Depth
All-round defence
Mutual support of defensive positions
Reserves
Offensive spirit
Deception plan.

One family (call it four shooters, mom, dad, oldest two kids) defending a farm in the middle of nowhere without any good guys to come to the rescue? You might win the firefight if you know the bad guys are on their way. Unless you're prepared to pull two-hour sentry shifts 24/7, the odds are the bad guys will surprise you. IMO the key thing is to get yourself the notice time you will need to get organised. Without reinforcement and a significant investment in wire/claymores/concrete you will not survive a siege, regardless of how much food and water you stockpile. The bad guys may be scared off the first time, but they will assume you have something worth protecting, so they'll come back with more friends.

So in this position my priorities would be surveillance, comms, obstacles, firepower. But I would plan to not get in this position.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sorry-no-clues For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 08:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,208 Times in 3,253 Posts

Alway been my view too. Its already too late whem you can see them with thermal from the yard.....
Old 09-10-2020, 09:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,210 Times in 2,994 Posts

you need to search this forum archives for Jerry D. Young. He was the list master and had plans for every possible scenario. Wrote a bunch of stories as well. But, he will have lists of lists for you to look at.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FalconsBravesHawks For This Useful Post: