Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 01-14-2020, 05:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,821 Times in 1,859 Posts
Default eye care for beach FAK

Advertise Here

I'm by the gulf in Fl.We get a lot of adult and kid houseguests in the winter.I put together a FAK for the car,with some items geared for the beach.Insects,sun and wind,splinters,etc.Have visene for swimming in salt water.
Wind and blowing sand is also a potential issue,so maybe an eyewash.Some of the adults also may have contacts.
Is there a difference between eyewash(some have a built in "cup") vs. a saline solution for contacts?
Can plain bottled water be used to rinse out eyes safely?

I don't want to overthink this.
Trying to keep it small,but its already getting bigger than I planned.
Mainly basics,nothing for trauma,but I keep thinking of adding this or that,just in case.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2020, 05:35 AM

Normal Saline is the go to for eye irrigation.

In short, to answer your question, yes, contact saline solution would be just fine to use when flushing out eyes. Bottled water or even plain old tap water will work if you don't have saline.

There are two methods we use in the emergency department to irrigate eyes.

First is a Morgan Lens. If there are no caustic chemicals involved, we will place a morgan lens in the affected eye and irrigate with normal saline from an IV bag. The lens is placed on the eye like a contact lens and has a tube that you attach IV tubing to. Set up the IV tubing, prime the line, place the lens, open up the flow and flood the eye with a liter of saline.

The second method is to use an oxygen nasal cannula. Place the cannula over the bridge of the nose and you can irrigate both eyes with IV saline at the same time. Just plug the IV tubing into the end of the nasal cannula and it works like a champ. We use this when there is a suspected caustic chemical involved or when we want to wash out both eyes at the same time.

At home, inside, you can use tap water, just open the tap, run the water a low pressure and put your face under the faucet to irrigate.

At home, outside, you can do the same thing with a garden hose at low pressure. Just be sure to clear the hose of any sun-warmed water before irrigating someone's eye. You don't want to add corneal burns to your list of problems.

Lastly, you can use bottled water to slowly pour on to the medial portion of the eye closest to the nose and irrigate that way. If you are irrigating both eyes, just pour the water on the bridge of the nose and you can irrigate both eyes simultaneously.

You may need to coach the patient to keep the eye(s) open to affectively irrigate and if you suspect caustic chemicals to be involved, be cautious to not irrigate the one eye and have the irrigation flow enter the unaffected eye.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John_RN_EMT-P For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 05:47 AM
Survivor

Thanks,you have posted a lot of great info since you joined.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2020, 05:56 AM

My pleasure. I am glad to do my part to help educate the prepping community with the knowledge I have.
The Following User Says Thank You to John_RN_EMT-P For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 06:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,246 Posts

Yeah eyewash station typically want you to irrigate eyes for 15+ minutes. Way longer than you might imagine. But even a water bottle rinse is better than nothing.

Visene and other get the red out eyedrops have some concerns. I haven't used them in years. Instead i use lubricating eyedrops like artificial tears. The preservatives in them don't bother me but if a problem there are individual sealed packets with no preservatives but more expensive. I have heard of keeping eyedrops in fridge to make them more soothing but don't notice that much difference myself.

Its pretty common to get an eye abrasion, probably most commonly by leaving in contacts overnight and trying to remove the dried lens. My eye doc gave some kind of eye gel, i can't remember if it was an antibiotic or steroid or what.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 06:58 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 70,899 Times in 21,431 Posts

I would use an eye wash solution if available.
Not sure what the boric acid does exactly, but the stuff seems more soothing to the eye.

https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-...-prodid-337097

There is a complex natural lubricating oil layer on the surface of the eye.
If you screw up that film or otherwise get the cornea inflamed from excess exposure to pollen, dust, UV, etc, you can end up with a scratched cornea or loss of surface cells.

I did this once and went blind in that eye for almost a month and experienced pain that is the maximum level imaginable.

Finally found a brilliant cornea surgeon that simply put a "bandage contact lens" on my eye to allow it to heal.

Mine started from allergies, rubbing the eyes, and what really put it into overdrive was rinsing it with tap water when it started to really hurt. This removed the oil film layer and the eye lost lubrication.

Now I try my best never to rub my eyes, even though they are still affected by allergies. The one thing that relieves the itching and keeps me from repeating that trauma are the ketofen eyedrops by Alaway.

Avoid too much air flow (sitting in front of a fan, or having car vents pointed at your eyes).
Close your eyelids for a while periodically, to allow the layer to replenish the protective film layer.
People that stare at computers all day seem the most prone to this problem.

All I can say is, try not to screw up those layers on the eyeball.

The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 09:41 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,315 Times in 513 Posts

For an easy-to-carry eye irrigation solution I pack a couple of these individual saline ampoules in each of my FAKs:

https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Medi...185385&sr=8-11

They're not big enough to handle things like chemical splashes but they work great for flushing out smaller debris, and you can use them for irrigating wounds also.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnmcd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 05:04 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmas View Post

Visene and other get the red out eyedrops have some concerns. I haven't used them in years. Instead i use lubricating eyedrops like artificial tears. The preservatives in them don't bother me but if a problem there are individual sealed packets with no preservatives but more expensive. .
Man,you ain't kidding about concerns!
Just saw on the news a woman was charged/convicted(?) of murdering her husband by putting eyedrops in his drink over a period of time.Didn't mention the brand or type.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,246 Posts

Didnt hear of it being orally poisonous but apparently a few people have been murdered by using tetrahydrozoline, the ingredient in get the red out eyedrops. I am very surprised as eyedrops easily transfer to your throat, not sure how much is needed to kill you.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post: