New sub forum dedicated to Teotawaki, WROL, Boogaloo, etc? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 01-08-2020, 01:21 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,864 Times in 4,471 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
The biggest problem I see with an "advanced survival" type of subforum, is that because of the nature of the beast, topics and posts could easily bleed into rule-breaking topics such as discussing activities that are highly illegal today (even though they could be life-saving later).
I think a good deal of threads currently running would have to be deleted if this was actually followed to the letter.

A great deal of prepping topics concerns doing things post WROL that would be illegal now.

I do not know how the mods actually do it, but I have always interpreted that rule to mean not talking about doing things 'currently' illegal in your jurisdiction.

Talking about how you are going to shoot the guy who you think is breaking into your house the next time you see him from 500 yards away is a no-no.

Talking about how during SHTF you are going to defend your neighborhood from a raider by shooting them from 500 yards away after the collapse of the nation is fine, even though it is currently totally illegal, because the situation you are talking about is one where there is no law.

If not then there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of threads right now that need to be locked, deleted etc. (This also applies to 'no politics') if enforced the way it usually is in most forums.

But, I don't think any of this is really a problem. Current moderation seems fine in general and there is no reason a hypothetical Severe Long term sub forum would have any more trouble than any of are other subforums in this regard under current standards.

My suggestion/request involves nothing without precedent, no new rules, simply an attempt to reduce pointless argument between short term and long term preppers.

I will also say, I have some reservations over the term ADVANCED survival, although that is what it is in a way, the connotation is that its a better, superior, etc form of survivalism by better, superior people, which then implies that long term sever crisis focused preppers are 'better' than other preppers.

Which then leads to the inevitable argument....

The truth is, long term severe preppers are only 'better' than short term preppers if a long term severe situation happens and we survive it.

A guy who survived a three day hurricane with flying colors could easily say that he was an advanced prepper compared to the guy with a bunker, four guard towers and a farm who had never survived anything...I think its best to avoid baking 'Better than' language into the forum and keeping the lid on that can of worms.

I'm not suggesting excluding or putting down the short term preppers or newbies...I just would like a place where we don't have to deal with them telling us "That will never happen, you guys are crazy" all the time.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 02:16 AM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 2,883 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post

...I will also say, I have some reservations over the term ADVANCED survival, although that is what it is in a way, the connotation is that its a better, superior, etc form of survivalism by better, superior people, which then implies that long term sever crisis focused preppers are 'better' than other preppers.

Which then leads to the inevitable argument....

The truth is, long term severe preppers are only 'better' than short term preppers if a long term severe situation happens and we survive it.

A guy who survived a three day hurricane with flying colors could easily say that he was an advanced prepper compared to the guy with a bunker, four guard towers and a farm who had never survived anything...I think its best to avoid baking 'Better than' language into the forum and keeping the lid on that can of worms...

I never thought of it that way, but you are right about the connotations of the term "advanced survival."

In that light, Hardcalibres' suggested term Long Term Crisis Discussion sounds much better. I am not sure how many characters are limited in the title thread box, but hopefully it can be worked in along with the thread title?

Quote:
..I'm not suggesting excluding or putting down the short term preppers or newbies...I just would like a place where we don't have to deal with them telling us "That will never happen, you guys are crazy" all the time.
This will only work if the members help the moderators run a tight ship by reporting the offending hijackers and trolls.

There are many hundreds of posts flying through this board daily (for example, there were over 900 posts today). This board is the largest and busiest survival site of its kind in the world. So, of course there will be lots of rule-breaking posts flying under the radar (mod's eyes). Even if half of the moderators had nothing else to do but sit at the computer all day and all night, we still couldn't catch everything that needed catching, lol.

Want a troll free zone? Need your help, bros. And, as jfountain's signature line says,

Read the rules. Follow the rules. Be nice to each other.
Post in the proper section. Stay on topic. Post useful accurate info.
Send me all your unsigned, not cashed in, winning lottery tickets

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 03:07 AM
Abnormality biased.

I generally don't report anything but gross personal attacks.

Maybe its just me but in my experience, the people who do the most complaining are generally the worst offenders and so I try very hard to not become that person. I generally fear the fastest way to get on a mods $#!† list is to report stuff.

Or maybe that is just MY management style. The squeaky wheel is the one that gets greased.

Anyway, the powers that be will do what they do. I just want to make it clear that I'm not on a Jihad to change the whole forum or start a general crack down, I'm just requesting one little spot where arguing against prepping actually is considered trolling rather than just general disagreement.

As I understand it there is nothing in the rules against arguing against prepping at a certain level or any level at all. And I'm not even saying that is argument shouldn't happen, just that it shouldn't have to happen every time long term severe prepping comes up.

And as a general organizational tool, it seems everyone would benefit from long term severe threads being all in one place.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 04:23 AM
Crap Creek Survivor

Quote:
........I'm just requesting one little spot where arguing against prepping actually is considered trolling rather than just general disagreement. ...........
That is a good suggestion, and it goes along the same line as the rules for the Religion section of the board.

A "Long Term Crisis Discussion" subforum, by its very nature, would likely generate almost the same level of derision as the Religious section.

So, naturally, it would need stricter boundaries than, say, the Food and Water, or Financial forums, etc.

Makes sense to me!

Aerindel, I appreciate all the points you have been bringing to the table because I think discussions like this can help TPTB formulate a good structure for the new subforum--IF they decide this whole ball of wax is worthwhile.

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 04:25 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,594 Times in 661 Posts

So what’s long term ? 2 years ? 10 ?
Old 01-08-2020, 05:18 AM
Crap Creek Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
(Speaking only for myself here, and not as a moderator), I think of a long term crisis as a period lasting longer the average disaster-of-the-day such as hurricanes, flooding, earthquakes, etc.

In that kind of event (or a series of events), it is not likely that things will be returning to normal any time soon. There would also be a lot of painful new normals to adjust to.

Historically speaking, the longer a crisis lasts, the more severely the fabric of society is altered, which is exactly why I think that a forum of this type would be valuable. This level of preparedness is not usually discussed in "polite society." Most people are too afraid to go there in their heads, much less discuss it.

But, we've all studied history in school, right? Sure, stuff happened throughout human history and will continue to happen. But, in our day and age, when historical-grade SHTF stuff happens it will be far worse than what our ancestors faced.

Nearly the whole world is sucking on the teats of fragile technology that is too closely meshed for our own good. A few good jolts in the beltway can derail a lot of cascading events that will change the world as we know it.

Few are prepared for that level of SHTF, but many would like to be. In a troll-free area, discussions could flow freely, and "iron can sharpen iron" more productively.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 06:24 AM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
That is a good suggestion, and it goes along the same line as the rules for the Religion section of the board.

A "Long Term Crisis Discussion" subforum, by its very nature, would likely generate almost the same level of derision as the Religious section.

So, naturally, it would need stricter boundaries than, say, the Food and Water, or Financial forums, etc.

Makes sense to me!
Yes, you've got it. Exactly what I'm getting at.

Quote:
Historically speaking, the longer a crisis lasts, the more severely the fabric of society is altered, which is exactly why I think that a forum of this type would be valuable. This level of preparedness is not usually discussed in "polite society." Most people are too afraid to go there in their heads, much less discuss it.
Well, we talk about it here fairly often...but pretty soon it just turns into an argument, not about how to do it, but about doing it at all.

Quote:
But, in our day and age, when historical-grade SHTF stuff happens it will be far worse than what our ancestors faced.
Yep. Thats where I'm at. A lot more I could say about it but I'll save that hopefully for when we have a subforum for it
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 08:07 AM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,575 Times in 1,731 Posts

When I think of long term SHTF........one of the primary shifts is no one comes to help. No government help from any level, no insurance company help, no utility company help, no RED CROSS help.

A foundation of peoples weather related SHTF prepping thinking is that someone else is going to fix everything fairly quickly. In a few days or weeks someone else will make it like it was or even better then it was.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 09:23 AM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,575 Times in 1,731 Posts

Quote:
I don't think that is the correct question. I don't think it is linear kind'a "Known" or knowable. It is more of a massive shift, or a realization after an event, when a person fully comprehends that the "Riding it out" plan is going to be fatal. It is a massive shift, a completely new reality.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 11:29 AM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 33,637 Times in 12,642 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
That's where it gets kind of questionable.

To me short term prepping is usually someone who builds up a stash of stuff that will hold them and their family over through a rough patch lasting a few days to a couple of months.

Long term prepping is more along the lines of people who prep for EMP's/grid down, famine, large contagious outbreaks, climate change, post trib rapture, apocalypse etc... where the prepper has or is making plans to survive for many months or years or longer with no help.

Then you also have homesteaders, off the grid living, etc... people who just want to live a quite life providing for themselves and their family whether the rest of the world is falling apart or not.

Read the rules. Follow the rules. Be nice to each other.
Post in the proper section. Stay on topic. Post useful accurate info.
Send me all your unsigned, not cashed in, winning lottery tickets
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 03:15 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
I don't think that is the correct question. I don't think it is linear kind'a "Known" or knowable. It is more of a massive shift, or a realization after an event, when a person fully comprehends that the "Riding it out" plan is going to be fatal. It is a massive shift, a completely new reality.
Agree. I don't think any specific time designation is needed or useful. Probably don't want to call it the "Apocalypse" sub forum as that would likely be too dramatic for this place, but that is really what we are talking about. 'Long term' is just a way of saying, 'never going to be the same'
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 06:41 PM
Prepared

Quote:
the beginning of long-term is one week after clean water stops flowing into the homes of at least 50million people...

or pick your own number, but once clean water stops getting to enough people long enough, game over. Collapse, disease, chaos.

After one week, system collapses and is down for a very long time.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterWiggin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 09:48 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 15,985 Times in 4,464 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Most of the people here are only prepping for 72 hour hurricane style events.

Fine, good for them.

But could we have a sub-forum where arguing against prepping for anything more serious is against the rules? It becomes incredibly tedious arguing with people about the very nature of prepping on Every. Single. Post. I want to argue about HOW to prep. Not if someone SHOULD even prep. It's what happens to virtually every serious topic and it's wrecking the survivalist side of the forum.

Think this would improve the forum over all as there are at least two very different kinds of people here and this would help to separate them. I suspect it would even help the casual preppers as they also could talk about their topics and concerns without us pointing out how irrelevant that would be in the big one.

I think this is a very good idea and a reasonable request that is worth pursuing. (Granted, I spend a lot of time in the forums where this is an issue.) I will send this up the line and see where we can get.

Normally, we are against adding sub forums, as most people think they have a good idea for one that would end up being redundant or low traffic/fringe. And end up being a pain.

In the interim, Preface a thread with your wishes and WE will ensure applicable derailing and troll rules are enforced. When a person takes the time to start a thread, they should be able to set perimeters, not to stifle, but to maintain topic integrity.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MTShawn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 10:44 PM
Abnormality biased.

Cool.

Although when you send it, send Grizzlets and Hardcalibers posts too.....

They actual wrote what I was trying to write better than I did.

Its an issue that was on my mind for a long time but I hadn't really figured out the perfect wording when I made my OP and was flailing a little bit trying to get it written down.

I guess that is how forums work when they are at their best, you have an idea that you think is good and it gets sharpened and improved by other people instead of just becoming an argument or everyone just agreeing with you.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 09:28 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 2,906 Times in 1,019 Posts

Quote:
I think perhaps we can get some idea from South/Central America's issues?
The Following User Says Thank You to Aceoky For This Useful Post: