Hormonal migraines - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here

Old 09-21-2019, 05:00 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 25,677 Times in 9,074 Posts
Default Hormonal migraines

Advertise Here

Never a problem until now, as I approach the end of fertility they are killing me every month.

Hopefully I will be done soon. Give me some great news how this all ends with menopause.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 03:19 PM
Off the leash

Thanked 2,380 Times in 955 Posts

I wish I could offer you some good news, but unfortunately I am dealing with them too.

Can give you sympathy and well wishes tho.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrs.sardog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 07:21 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,491 Times in 478 Posts

My wife gets these really bad.

Usually a cocktail (no not that type) of various headache medicines can work.

The one that works for my wife...2 Excedrine tension headache and 1 Anacin. Knock it back with a Coke Zero.

The Coke has some additional caffine and will dissolve the tablets for quicker relief.

You can experiment a bit but no more than 3 pills at one time. Be super careful of dosing.

Hope this helps
HK
The Following User Says Thank You to Henrykjr For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 10:27 PM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 2,953 Times in 852 Posts

Been plagued by them all my adult life. My experiencew ith them is I don't get them as often. One or two bad ones a month with all the auras. Lights too bright, sounds too loud and smells too strong and skin sensitive to certain fabric. Thank God for minky blankets. Then nausea but not as bad as it once was. Havent thrown up from a migrane in a couple years now but I still keep phenergen in case I feel pukey. Also have fiorocet but it just works meh-ish. Have to start popping those suckers during the aura stage and maybe it will stop one but also maybe not. Take two and you get pretty screwed up so at least you can sleep.

Used to be Id get ab ad one about once a week to 10 days and would last two or three days of puking throbbing agony. Once thought seriously about drilling a hole in my skull. Sometimes tho I would get one that lasted a few days, have two or three days headache free and then bam! I'd get another. Suicide was actually an option for me at those times.

Also even tho you didn't ask I don't get a heavy flow anymore and no big blood clots. Used to pass clots the size of golf balls but no more. Four days maybe fives tart to finish.

Do you put ice packs at the base of your skull? It helps but you have to get it cold enough to numb the skin and then keep it that way for at least half an hour or more.

My mum tells me one day migraines should stop altogether when the hormones finally give up the ghost. Will see.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 10:35 PM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 10,146 Times in 2,054 Posts

My wife turned 51 this year and she has had them for the past 6 years. ....never before that. It is totally hormonal.

Not everyone's cup of tea.... but when she started drinking 1-2 glasses of wine an evening, they have all but disappeared. Her grandmother gave her this advice.

She does it on the cheap, by purchasing a box of red wine.... nice daily red.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:52 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,794 Times in 3,598 Posts

Good news:

Once on the other side, along with other benefits/improvements, the headaches do taper off in both intensity and frequency. It's not all at once. Just kind of tapers off and then one day you realize you haven't had one (of either) for awhile Although after that realization, you'll probably get one or a couple more just because your body can

You might try:
Pamprin.
Extra Strength Tylenol (WalMart Equate generics seem to work better)
Aspirin
Extra Strength Tylenol and aspirin
Iced Coca Cola can help any of the above, but not in/for everyone
Limiting salt, especially before and during *that week*
Eating something salty during a headache and chase it with an iced Coca Cola
Iced or warm caffeinated beverage
Iced Coca Cola
Warm herbal tea
Ice packs
Heat pads
Alternating ice and heat pads
Of the heat and ice, whichever works, and it may vary from headache to headache, especially depending on when it happens--keep track so you know which to grab first
Long hot shower
Check with an ND or herbalist for aromatherapy
Depending on what is legal in Texas...

Not medical advice... educational use only
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 08:20 AM
Off the leash

Thanked 2,380 Times in 955 Posts

There are melt away migraine pills called rizatriptan. They are generic for Maxalt. Just put them on the tongue and they melt away in a few seconds. Unfortunately they are quite expensive if you have to pay for them out of pocket but, I get mine covered by my insurance as my doctor says they are medically necessary for me. If I don't get a migraine knocked down pretty quick I will usually have a seizure too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrs.sardog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 08:37 AM

Reminded me I used to get divalproex for migraines. worked like a charm but even generic went sky high in price and ins. didnt want to cover it for mere migraine so I discontinued it. One of the medicines used for epilepsy that also prevents migraines.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 06:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,221 Times in 4,169 Posts

I've had them all my life. I've only found a decent pain killer - in my case Paracetamol and a cold wet flannel works. In very bad cases typical migraine actions help, such as a dark room, cold pillow, bland food etc.

Sometimes gentle exercise can help, it normally takes my mind away from the pain.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Purdy Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 07:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,731 Times in 1,159 Posts

i had them bad growing up...they got better with menopause..however, just two days ago i woke up with an aura. there are certain foods that will trigger them when the chemical tyramine build up in your system:

Specific foods with high tyramine content include:
strong or aged cheeses like cheddar, blue cheese, or gorgonzola.
cured or smoked meats or fish, such as sausage or salami.
beers on tap or home-brewed.
some overripe fruits.
certain beans, such as fava or broad beans.

or you might get them from low blood sugar.

what works for me is a couple of things:

pepsi--no other soda works for me even though there are those with higher caffeine levels

get into your bathtub so you are laying flat on your back with your legs/feet on the wall with the spigot. fill up the tub with hot water that will be filled only to the place that water is in your ears--so you face is out and you can breathe. stay there until the water is uncomfortable for you...ie gets luke warm. out of the tub, ice pack on the front of your face, heat on the back--hot water bottle, heating pad. try to get some sleep. if i can get 3 hours of sleep uninterrupted, the headache is gone.

sleep, soda, bathing...any will work..better is two in combination...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to francessanne For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 02:20 PM

Uninterrupted sleep of more than three or four hours seems to reset the brain somehow during a migraine. But not always.

Times when I get one exercise is not possible especially bending over. My God it feels like I w ould bust a blood vessel in my brain.

Purple Kitty I hope you're better today.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 04:53 PM
Possum Lover

Well, they were "good" when I was visiting my parents who came to visit, but the minute I came home whap.

I tried a very cold orange juice and that helped a lot. I still don't feel up to finishing the laundry but better.

My aunt would probably say it was all the bright sun on the beach, it's possible. Or the fact I ate a lot of different things but no known triggers.

It is nice to sleep with my cats when I get a migraine, I did miss them. I have a conference next month and really hoping I get the nonsense with over before the meeting because I can't imagine anything worse than migraines in a lecture hall.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 10:19 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,833 Times in 512 Posts

I had these all my life. The only thing that worked for me was regular Coke, and a PM (Excedrin, Tylenol, Bayer-- whatever. Generic was fine), and eating something carby. This would either get rid of the headache completely or make it manageable.

Once I hit menopause, the headaches got a lot better. I still get one once in a while but nothing like I did.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RufusJ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 03:10 PM
Possum Lover

The timing on my next cycle is going to be very bad so I will go to the doctor and see if I can get a script for something... I will need to be working, caregiving, etc. I won't have time to rest.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:01 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 7,982 Times in 3,167 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I used to have chronic migraines...started when I was about 11 or 12. At first, they were around "that time of the month", but as I got older, they became more frequent. Not just hormones, but the WEATHER affected them, as well. I would get them whenever the barometric pressure would start to fall (the day before rain/snow.) It finally (and this was POST menopause, so the hormones had quit) got so bad I was having 2-3 migraines per week, and the prescriptions (I had 4 different prescription meds) were NOT working any more.

Just so happened I had a physical therapy appointment when I was having one of my migraines. The therapist recommended getting a Daith piercing. There is an acupuncture nerve that runes through the daith (that's the area of cartilage on the inside of the "shell" of the ear), and the piercing is adjacent to the nerve. I was desperate enough to go ahead and get it done. Admittedly, being cartilage, getting the piercing DOES hurt (I highly recommend getting some lidocaine gel and applying liberally!) BUT, I'd do it again in a heartbeat, as it's been over 2 1/2 years ago that I had the piercing done, and haven't had a migraine since! DEFINITELY go to someone who has a lot of experience doing the daith piercing, as if they don't get the right spot, it won't be effective, and if they go into the nerve, there can be partial paralysis of some of the facial muscles, so you want someone who knows what the heck they're doing.

Still, 2 1/2 years of NO migraines after over 45 years with them, and NO more prescription meds for migraines, either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 10:27 PM

I remember getting thru college by ingesting a diet Pepsi, a Snickers bar, two BC powders and two extra strength Tylenol at one time. Usually in the a.m. when I got there and then again early afternoon and if I was there till evening another around 6 p.m. Now I can't stand the taste of any kind of pepsi or BC powder. Blech.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:46 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 7,982 Times in 3,167 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I USED to get migraines all the time, since I was 11 or 12. Menopause did NOT make them stop, and it was getting to where the 4 different prescriptions I had for them were NOT working anymore. (Imitrex, Maxalt, Fioricet, then finally Percocet.)

What actually DID work was getting a Daith piercing. I won't lie, it hurt like bloody you-know-what getting it done, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat, because it WORKED! I was actually in the middle of a migraine that was building up to be a REALLY bad one. Once the piercing was done and the earring in, the migraine was GONE, stopped cold. It's been three years now, and NOT ONE SINGLE MIGRAINE!

Turns out there's an acupuncture nerve that runs through the daith - that's that ridge of cartilage in the ear, and with the Daith piercing, the earring goes adjacent to that nerve. Completely short-circuits the migraine. No longer have the prescriptions, and haven't needed them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 05:28 AM
Possum Lover

I have heard good things about that piercing.