Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 12-16-2019, 10:16 PM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 3,264 Times in 890 Posts
Default DIY fishing tackle

Advertise Here

Have you ever made your own fishing tackle: lures, sinkers, floats, and bobbers? (Please share your tips and tricks in this thread!)

Or, would you like to learn how? This article in Backwoods Home will help you get started:

https://www.backwoodshome.com/make-y...RxxyxhHeiRyciU

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 10:59 PM

The only time I've done that is friends and i would fold the end of a can after it had been removed by the can opener. Fold it into narrow rectangle and paint one side red. Attach swivel and treble hook. Made spinners.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Faultyphoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 11:18 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 26,084 Times in 9,374 Posts

I take my new Mepps spinners in sizes 1 and 2 apart and put smaller Eagle Claw treble on them. I also replace rusted, broken or damage hooks. Buy them now while cheap - good hooks are hard to make. Fresh made mono filament stored in like a 30 Cal ammo can protects it from UV and ozone.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2019, 02:22 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 24,077 Times in 7,250 Posts

I have been tying my own trout & salmon flies for about 40 years.
A decent kit & materials run around $100

All sorts of "how to" books available, as well as UTUBE videos.

Once you get into it, you can save a LOT of money, saving game bird feathers from those you shot, as well as hair & fur off hides.

Takes practice & patience to get good at it.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,332 Times in 2,463 Posts

+1 to the above....

I tie my own flies and my own pan fishing jigs. Using corks from wine bottles I make popping bobbers and slip bobbers. In the past I have also poured my own soft plastic baits and cast my own fishing weights for cat fishing.

Doing your own flies can be a little pricey at first to jump into, but once you have your basics and some supplies/materials you can tie a gang of them for a whole lot cheaper than they can be bought! I have found clouser minnows to work like gang busters on Crappie here in the south. For my pan fishing jigs, mainly for Crappie, i buy a bag of 100 jigs from cabelas, paint them, bake them to a hard finish and then using my fly tying kit, put a body and tail on them, still at a very considerable savings.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LuniticFringeInc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2019, 12:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 24,353 Times in 9,424 Posts

Back in the late 1960's I read an article in Popular Mechanics on how to make lures out of old table spoons. I made many and they actually worked.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2019, 03:35 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,591 Posts

WWWAAAYYYY back in my misspent youth in Canada when I was hanging out with some bush people, they showed me this trick.

You take a piece of bone, the size depends upon the size of the fish you are after. But lets say for trout. You take about a 2- 2 1/2" long piece of bone and work a hole into the center of the length. The hole has to be big enough to take the line. Next take you bait, worms work best and thread the worm almost the full length of the bone. In this case you would leave about and inch of bone exposed. Toss it in the water. It may take a few different strikes but the fish will suck it into its throat and down the hatch. Once the fish has taken the bait you give a quick tug on the line and the exposed sharp end should dig into something and once that happens the whole bone will try to turn sideways. It is a good way to run night lines with a lot of patience.

You are out of hooks it is something to try.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2019, 04:48 PM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 3,264 Times in 890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
WWWAAAYYYY back in my misspent youth in Canada when I was hanging out with some bush people, they showed me this trick.

You take a piece of bone, the size depends upon the size of the fish you are after. But lets say for trout. You take about a 2- 2 1/2" long piece of bone and work a hole into the center of the length. The hole has to be big enough to take the line. Next take you bait, worms work best and thread the worm almost the full length of the bone. In this case you would leave about and inch of bone exposed. Toss it in the water. It may take a few different strikes but the fish will suck it into its throat and down the hatch. Once the fish has taken the bait you give a quick tug on the line and the exposed sharp end should dig into something and once that happens the whole bone will try to turn sideways. It is a good way to run night lines with a lot of patience.

You are out of hooks it is something to try.
I've done something similar with wood. I have made gorge "hooks" by carving a twig to a sharp point at both ends, about an inch long, then notching out a groove in the middle for the line.

I bait the gorge so that it remains parallel with the line, (pointy ends facing up and down, not sideways).

I learned to wait for the fish to swallow the "hook" before giving the line a tug. If I jerked on it too soon, the gorge would slip out of its mouth. And that would be the fish that got away.

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2019, 04:53 PM
Retired Army

Thanked 9,258 Times in 3,585 Posts

I recently poured about 25 lbs. of sinkers for fishing in the Gulf. I have carved crank baits and made my own spinners, flies, etc. I also recover old and broken lures when I go fishing or hunting yard sales and refurbish them. Saves tons of money.

Al

ďAny society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.Ē- Benjamin Franklin

Always looking for .458 SOCOM brass, Bayonets and Surplus gun parts.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Al Diehl For This Useful Post: