Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My thoughts on INCH kits Jerry D Young Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 99 08-11-2019 09:58 AM
Prepping in a big city apartment - Priorities? 82Blazer Urban Survival 72 04-22-2018 09:14 PM
Food storage fats, oils, and essential fatty acids NY Min Food and water 53 12-30-2017 01:15 PM
Wise to rethink your food supplies doing heavy labor. bunkerbuster Food and water 56 10-02-2017 05:29 PM
Storage container advice bounty Australia and New Zealand 6 03-24-2017 10:58 PM

Old 10-19-2019, 03:59 PM
Hiker

Advertise Here

Got lucky this morning. One of the spare generators that had been used at the cabin build was just sitting around without any purpose. It is from Northern Equipment. A generic chinese type that is rated at 4000 peak and 2800 full load. It was not stout enough to run the bigger a/c unit I had been using last year. It would not run the big Rigid chop saw either. So wasnt worth running all day just for the lights and lesser power tools.

Someone on Craigslist was wanting to trade a new 30 lb bottle of R-22 for a smaller generator between 2500-4000 watts output. Since I needed a bottle to charge the once used 1 ton central A/C unit for my cabin...No reason not to make a trade.

The generator was given to me and not worth over $200. It is is great shape and starts on first pull. But didnt need it, since there are at least 4 more similar ones sitting around, also not in use. Win win for me and him. He got exactly what he wanted, and I got exactly what I needed for the install next year.

Right now the going price on R-22 is $375 new from the a/c store or about $350 in the Craigslist market. Roughly $12 plus a pound. Dont know what the serviceman charges but not relevant to me. If I cant do it myself, then will do without.

One more thing that worked out well is another chainsaw that was gifted to me. My buddy that does small engine repair handed it to me the last time I dropped by to see whats up. He knows I like the smaller saws with carry handle on top. It wasnt worth him fixing, so kept it around until I showed up.

I have a smaller version of this saw. It is fantastic for dropping tree branches when climbing up there. Lightweight and easy to use one handed. The small one I already had was assembled from several different ones Poulan made and made for Homelite too. It is a mix of lime green and red parts.

This is the super model of the other saw. Slightly larger in displacement. One thing I like about this one is a manual chain oiler. The automatic ones suck. I had a Craftsman version of this saw that is also red like the Homelite. It was junk, but had a new bar and chain. A little parts swapping and this is the result. A very lightweight saw worth having round.

The only thing this saw needed was new fuel lines. Fortunately the old gas had drained out, so nothing was varnished up. Even the diaphragms in carb were still very good. It fired right up after reassembly.

I would put this little saw up against any other brand the same size. Starts on second pull and wont let you down. I refer to that other saw as the peanut. This is now my Super peanut.

When it rains it pours. As I was typing this to post, another friend dropped by. He asked me if I had any use for a Milwaukee Port-A-Ban saw. Not really. Then he said if the price is right? Garage sale he stopped up a few miles from the shop had one for sale. Ok, I had to ask....$65. No reason to even talk about it, lets go.

I offered $50 and didnt argue at $60. What can I say? Would you have passed it up?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04533.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	293058   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04534.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	293060  
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to fordtrucksforever For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 04:34 PM
Hiker

Managed to get something done that I have been putting off. Like the stairs, just need to get started. Outside on the roof, I still had to finish the eaves, gables fascia, blah, blah, blah.

When first getting the roof put down, I had a great idea. Thinking ahead on what could be used when ready. But until trying it out, who knows if it would work.

I had dilluded myself in thinking of using some of the surplus pieces left over from roof to make the soffit and fascia in one piece. If I was just a normal person, go spend $400 and buy all of the trim pieces for a nice factory finished roof. But could not see fit to do that for some reason. Maybe having a bunch of metal that is just sitting there not in use. Or call me cheap. What ever floats your boat.

Originally my plan was to cut a section with the ridge from an r-panel and bend like this. It would serve as the soffit and fascia with the ridge working for a drip edge. Alas, it worked so well on this short piece. Just had to make work on a piece 15 ft long. That did present a problem. I rigged up a long skinny anvil to try and bend an extended version like the pic above. But was not working out.

Insert plan B. After measuring too many times on other options, this is what I cam up with. The vertical piece would be for fascia and the other as the soffit.

The R-panel was cut a few times to get these. Its amazing how these roof panels can get dirty just sitting out in the weather. Hmmn.

With some patience I managed to do a temporary screw up. Not as in a mistake, but literally screw the panel up to roof gable.

You see the fascia panel and soffit on underside. They over lap at outer edge.

You see here it will work out. Just had to do some long cuts on extra r-panels.

I have several pieces of this gable trim.Not enough to do all of the roof, but can get the front of cabin covered over. I cant bend these any longer than in 4 ft lengths. Otherwise would be making them myself. But only need about 30 ft to finish the back side of cabin.

A lot of time was spent just to finally come up with this solution. It works, and looks decent using the 10 ft rule. So imgine how great it looks 20 ft above the ground. With the next trip out, should button most of this up and be done with the roof project. Then all of the air leaks will be sealed up and ready for winter to throw its worst at me. I wont be cold inside the cabin this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04541.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	293174   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04540.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	293176   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04542.jpg
Views:	3