2020 Homeschooling - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here

Old 02-11-2020, 04:45 PM

Default 2020 Homeschooling

Advertise Here

Assuming the Coronavirus doesnt get us started sooner I will start Homeschooling a middle schooler next fall for the first time.

I am knee deep in researching different curriculums vs. self-created vs. online public school.

Do you homeschool? Any recommendations for prebuilt curriculum to purchase, advice for a first timer, etc?
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2020, 11:56 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,771 Times in 499 Posts

I homeschooled our kids up to high school. We used the Calvert curriculum and were pleased with it. However, this was twenty years ago so Calvert may have changed.
The Following User Says Thank You to RufusJ For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 07:08 AM

Would you be planning to return to public school eventually?

Personally, I think going self-created is the best thing ever, but I wouldn’t recommend that route for someone who may want to slip right back into an age-based grade level.

Does your state offer online charter school options? That would be my go-to for a temporary home situation.

Not sure what your budget might be, but some of the programs that do online charter in some states offer paid options for other states. K-12 is one.

Calvert is still a very well-respected program. Oak Meadow is another good one.

In most (?) states, you can request a full set of curriculum from your school district, but that’s getting much harder to do as many move to online books and resources.
Old Today, 07:34 AM
VIP Member

I home schooled 4; set up my own curriculum using bit's and pieces from multiple sources, SOME were structured (math). BUT, I had briefly taught public school in the past. I was teaching REAL LIFE and COLLEGE skills, NOT public school (independent study skills, how to research anything, how to schedule themselves and consequences if they did not). Each had a check book and photo ID by the age of 6 to spend the money they earned on the farm with all of those associated skills from budget to balancing. Most days were 1 to rarely 2 or so hours of 'school' as they got older (a lot less when they were smaller), the rest was making sure that everything we did from cooking (lots of math and chemistry, nutrition) to raising a wind tower (had to USE geometry, which needed algebra; they ended up building a scale model out of cardboard tubes and string one day when I was not home before we actually raised the 100' tower all on their own) were ALL used as a 'lesson', teaching the WHY behind, then the HOW / and relating these to actual lessons.
Used a few individual classes at the local public school.
Used local home school support group and church for socialization.
Did annual testing (teaching how to take a standardized test skills as well as identifying where there were /what we needed to focus on).

One of the kids wanted a high school diploma, local HS was home school friendly. Had to 'test' her (over a year early), she was 2nd year college level. Had to take ONE class of her choosing in order to graduate (took art first period and then when to her new job). YOungest took the GED 3 years 'early' (had to argue with them to let him), got 2 year scholarship.

IF you did high school, keep track and be sure they are progressing in all areas (but not evenly, adjust to the child's needs, one was severe dyslexic, was years behind in math till age 12, by 13 was fully caught up) you can do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to RobertSWMissouri For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 08:17 AM

Abeka is what we used for our son.