Survival Isnt Just About Stockpiling - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
stockpiling survival food deprogramming services Food and water 14 09-23-2014 01:37 AM
Isnt it time... LibertyLS Controversial News and Alternative Politics 13 04-13-2014 10:16 AM
I'm hoping this isnt it Bearspirit General Discussion 8 10-14-2013 08:07 AM
Stockpiling Survival Rifle Ammunition kev Firearms General Discussion 32 04-03-2011 11:14 AM
Stockpiling 5 types of beans or peas for survival garden kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 02-28-2011 07:58 PM
Stockpiling ammo for a long term survival situation kev Firearms General Discussion 39 12-16-2010 11:03 AM
Stockpiling too much survival gear kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 44 10-27-2010 05:51 PM
Stockpiling survival related magazines kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 09-15-2010 04:47 PM
Are Feds Stockpiling Survival Food? 411man General Discussion 33 07-29-2008 09:27 AM
Are feds stockpiling survival food? Mullenite Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 07-24-2008 10:09 PM

Old 03-07-2009, 06:07 AM
Target Shooter

Advertise Here

Good Post...............
I hope it works out the way you have it planned. We only need look back in history and we will see what happens to a country and there people when infastructure and government collapse either could very easily cause your preps to disappear thru any means other than consumption. Yes I think survival skills will be more important than anything you can have especially the ability too function on an empty stomach or very limited amount of caloric intake a day. To operate with constant pressures of illness and death watching your loved ones perish when a very small amount would allow them too survive, and not being able to provide it........
I think that survival skill of being mentally tough will be very much needed in those times the thing I see is can you develop that menatal toughness now and how do you test it.........
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2009, 06:09 AM
I'd rather be Jeeping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heehaw View Post
Adapt to Survive, by Elizabeth B.

Buy as many matches as you can. Matches are an excellent storage item. They'll never go bad and will be a high demand item.
I agree with some of what she says, but the part about matches never going bad is flat wrong. Here in Houston it is so humid that the match tips disintegrate after a couple of years. They last a little longer if stored in ziplock bags, but it is much better to store lighters and firesteels.

~JohnP
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JohnP For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2009, 06:46 AM
Bubble Head Nuke

Guns and ammo have a place in a survival situation. I don't advise someone just to go out and buy a gun and that is all they need to do. I will help them pick out a gun and then show them how to use it. After they can use it I offer to take them hunting and teach them tracking, signs, proper and humane hunting, proper animal handling and storage after the hunt etc.

IF someone just wants to buy a gun in order to kill another human I will not help them. I DO have guns to protect myself and my family. I do NOT have assault weapons and fantasies about how I am going to take back the government.

Some questions for the gun people.

Have you made or do you own a flintlock? Bow? Do you hunt with them?

Have you ever made gunpowder? arrows? bullets with a mold?

These are the skills you will need to survive. Practice them and learn new skills. The skills with weapons are needed but too many people just want a gun for protection and don't think of 1600-1800's and what it was like before electricity and gasoline. Those are the type of weapons skills you will need.

MonkyMate
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monkymate For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 06:48 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 15,909 Times in 4,195 Posts

Everyone is an expert on survival all of a sudden.

Opposed to tuna for moral reasons? Yeah...whatever!
Old 03-07-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper6 View Post
I think this author is smoking some grade A, all natural, free range crack cocaine when she says that if you "can't afford to buy [a home], then you shouldn't be storing food". Otherwise, not a bad article. ...

In addition, I think the true survivalist lives as close to the austerity of a SHTF situation as possible and practical. The Marine Corps holds to the tenet of "train like you fight, and fight like you train". Those who continue to ride the comforts of life for all they're worth will be shocked the hardest when things get tough. I firmly advocate turning off the climate control, making/growing as much of your food as possible, canceling the cable, and spending as much time training (shooting, mountaineering, practicing survival skills, etc.) as possible.

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

Survival360.net
+1 to this - all of it!
On behalf of the author's home-buying statement, I can view this from a perspective of living within our means for the future. I do think we should be paring down and learning/adapting to a long-term position NOW.

Not to say if you cannot buy a home you shouldn't bother with anything else - that's ridiculous. But there does need to be some plan of where you intend to be, and yes you do run a higher risk of having to leave supplies behind.

To say "I'd gladly trade my home for a shack" is one thing, to do it now, so you are already in position is quite another. It's just another major adjustment you may have to make when and if the time comes. If you honestly assess your situation and either want a shack, or see it as what you'll reasonably be able to afford, then go for it now, imo.

My personal position is to cut-out all of those extras, and move us into a long-term position NOW, not when and if and then.. But that's my particular situation, and I have a small budget to work with. For me, security is a free-and-clear place to call home first. If all I can reasonably hope to afford is a shack, then so be it. It will be a fortified shack to reckon with!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hilda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Everyone is an expert on survival all of a sudden.

Opposed to tuna for moral reasons? Yeah...whatever!
No $h!t... I'll eat the ass out of a tuna if I have to
Old 03-09-2009, 11:40 AM

Smile FWIW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I agree with some of what she says, but the part about matches never going bad is flat wrong. Here in Houston it is so humid that the match tips disintegrate after a couple of years. They last a little longer if stored in ziplock bags, but it is much better to store lighters and firesteels.

~JohnP
My uncle advised me to dip my "stirke anywhere" matches in melted paraffin to keep them longer.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Not Crazy

Quote:
Survival skills depend on knowledge and practice. If you have children, take them out of soccer and dance classes and immediately put them in Girl Scouts or Boy Scouts. Look until you find a good troop or better yet, join up, take the required training, and begin your own troop.
Actually, I'm not sure most Girl Scouts teach any survival skills, unless you count selling cookies, sewing dolls and going to theme parks survival skills. I was in a number of them as a kid and I don't recall ever once learning a survival skill. At the very least, check if they actually teach survival skills before you toss them in there.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 02:24 PM

I disagree and agree. What bad times is this person talking about? A blizzard? I am always shocked to see all the people running to the store just before the big storm hits to "stock up" and be prepared. If they were a survivor they would have already been stocked up. How about those long lines at the gas pumps we see on the news before a hurricane hits? A survivor wouldn't be sitting there in line with all the rest of the people, they would have already had their gas. The list can go on.

On the other hand, the article is right that we should know how to take care of ourselves. It often amazes me that some people seem to think of survival skills as some sort of mystical knowledge of the ancients. When and why did we give up that knowledge? Is working like a drone at a job to make money to buy stuff more fun than living? Skills as fun to learn, unless a person's idea of fun is sitting on their butt until the grim reaper collects his reward.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ryver Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 04:22 PM

+1! What good are your supplies if they go up in smoke, get confiscated, stolen, go bad or whatever? You are right on the money heehaw, especially about the young people.
The Following User Says Thank You to raglan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 09:52 PM

I have a daughter who will be totally lost if the SHTF. But last night while she was watching TV, I grabbed a 2 liter bottle and showed her how to make a crab trap with it. She thought I was being goovy at first, but when I finished and told her how to use it, to catch poor man's shrimp, she thought it was pretty cool. Maybe there's still a chance for her.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:10 AM
Facin' Long,Personal SHTF

I agree with almost every thing said in all of these posts (especially about the matches going bad quickly -- the author of the article was way off on that one! ) but I just had to say something to this little bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryver Scout View Post
Is working like a drone at a job to make money to buy stuff more fun than living?
More fun? Well, no, of course not. Unless you can define 'fun' as 'having someone of the opposite gender NOT cringe in disgust at the sight of you', then yeah, it'd be more fun, unfortunately. (Non-Sasquatchlike females need not heed the previous statement.)

Other than that critical exception, you're completely right.
The Following User Says Thank You to TANGO_INDIA_PERU For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,911 Times in 2,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse Now View Post
If you think that everyone is going to have their own garden to live off the grid, then why would farmers not still be producing thousands of acres of crops like they always have? If we experience Nuclear fallout our soil will be poisoned for centuries. If we have prolonged nationwide drought ,our ponds will dry up ,our wells will dry up and crops can't grow without water.If we experience a rise in pestilence our gardens and fruit trees could be destroyed.Airborne pathogens could also taint our crops.Diseases may kill our livestock. As far as hunting ,if food is scarce , the deer and other wildlife will be poached into near extinction. So IMO, I'm just gonna keep socking away the big 3 (ammo , water and food) until I think I have a years supply on hand and rotate accordingly.
In those cases, we are all doomed anyway. What good would a year's supply of food and ammo do if nuclear fallout poisons our soil and nothing will grow and the animals die? The future is not guaranteed, all we can do is what we can do: Stock up and learn all we can.
I consider stocks on hand as a transition help, but our stocks can be stolen, only skills can't be stolen. Still, I'd rather have them than not. There will still be much to learn and much to do for quite a while, and it'd be helpful not to have to worry about food and necessities while we learn and rebuild and add to them.
Stock the items that are difficult to replace for a long time: shoes or boots, warm coats, matches, seeds, salt, canning jars, cast iron cookery, etc. They will be produced again, some by individual cottage industries, but they will be in short supply unless making them is a skill you've learned.
I too disagree that if you live in an apartment you shouldn't stock up on food and weapons. The apartment dwellers need more stocks than anyone who has room for a garden and probably more ammo in order to keep them (if the apartment is in a city). Not all of us can buy a home or retreat, but there is no one anywhere who should NOT stock up on emergency supplies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lanahi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,911 Times in 2,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Patriot View Post
In the ultimate survival scenario, growing food or hunting food will not be an option. Survival will depend on what you have stored and what you can gather or even take from someone else.
Maybe I misunderstand what you mean by "the ultimate survival scenario", but I think we will be able to grow food of some kind in most cases. Hunting will soon be unprofitable because game will be quickly hunted out, hopefully not to the point of extinction, but it could happen.

If the initial robbing and killing of each other continues, we also would become extinct, and probably that would be a good thing. We will survive best by cooperation with each other in one kind of community or another. That's when we'd find out "no man is an island".
The Following User Says Thank You to lanahi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2009, 11:44 PM
PreparationInBubbaNation

Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,003 Posts

It's not just what you store, its replenishment rate!

You have to have some productive enterprise, that produces more than you need. So you can barter for other necessities. And if you grow food it is the same, you need to produce more than you need, to have 2 years worth put up and trade some. Give some away in some cases even.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:50 PM
PreparationInBubbaNation

Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,003 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse Now View Post
If you think that everyone is going to have their own garden to live off the grid, then why would farmers not still be producing thousands of acres of crops like they always have? If we experience Nuclear fallout our soil will be poisoned for centuries. Nope

If we have prolonged nationwide drought ,our ponds will dry up ,our wells will dry up and crops can't grow without water.If we experience a rise in pestilence our gardens and fruit trees could be destroyed.Airborne pathogens could also taint our crops.Diseases may kill our livestock. As far as hunting ,if food is scarce , the deer and other wildlife will be poached into near extinction. So IMO, I'm just gonna keep socking away the big 3 (ammo , water and food) until I think I have a years supply on hand and rotate accordingly.
Your fallout numbers are way off. You can scrape the top few inches off and be in production in two years. If you have a downwind fallout track warning, then cover your garden with plastic, you can just gather it up later. Jerry D Young of this site covers it in several of his instructional short stories posted on the Board.

Now the problem is that if you scrape some places, a few inches may be all the top soil there is. But it can be brought back into cultivation with the addition of organic matter, whether straw, manure, leaf mold or compost.
And we hoighty toighty Americans disdain nightsoil, but we might just have to get over ourselves.

Anyway, don't spread rumors.

PS: one years preps is not adequate for this, two is better
Old 05-25-2009, 12:05 AM
Strength and Honor

Nothing revolutionary here, rolling your own is great, but there's nothing wrong with having a few preps to get you through the initial chaos of a SHTF scenario. I don't know about anyone else but I'm not going to be out tending a garden if law and order breaks down and people are out running wild. I will be keeping watch and laying low until things settle down.

Also, I think I'll teach my kids about the outdoors myself, thanks. I don't need a wet behind the ears "scout master" to do that for me. Also, I think I'll let them do sports and dance if they want to. I'm not going to rob them of their childhood waiting around for the world to end.

And please spare me the self-righteous bs about the fish and batteries. Do you want to survive or not? "No, I'll pass on that nice salmon filet even though I'm starving. I don't believe in the persecution of the worlds fish population". YEAH RIGHT!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Army 21Z For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2009, 12:44 AM
hunter-gatherer

I'm slightly conflicted about the article.

On one hand - yes, the author is right. "preparedness" is not the same as survivalism. And yes, it's better to develop the skills to provide for yourself and adapt rather than relying on stores to see you thru.

On the other hand - i think it's grossly irresponsible to be discouraging to those who are taking action to increase their ability to survive above what it is today, even if they're not going as far as they should.

The fact is - being prepared to live for extended times in the event of the collapse of our infrastructure is the first step towards being personally responsible for your survival. It's the first awakening of the relization that "you know - the gov't may not be there to care for me like i thought. The hospital might not be there, the police might not be there, etc".

That's THE most important step - it's very hard for people raised in this day and age to realize that the gov't WON"T take care of their every need.

Lets face it - there's nothing wrong with a large stash. If nothing else, it carries you thru till you can provide for yourself (you're not likely planting tomatoes in december for example - you may have to wait months before there's any food to harvest).

People who take THAT step may soon be ready for the next mental leap - the acquisition of the skills and tools that will make them highly adaptable in the event of a truly catastrophic event. And that's a good thing.

I think the writer is way off base in the tone of the article. I think the article does a disservice. I think the question should NOT be "stashing OR survivalism", I think it should be "stashing AND THEN survivalism" - encouraging people to take the next step into a larger world.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Foxer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2009, 01:49 AM

there is no one size, one flavor for everyone. we on this forum are probabily in the top 10% of the american population in survival mode. think of the millions who have never stepped off the concrete. 90% will die off. "i feel a bad moon rising; i think troubles on the way: looks like we're in for nasty weather"
Old 05-25-2009, 02:32 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 29,990 Times in 13,204 Posts

You don't become a survivalist overnight. You start as a prepper. Somebody who will squirrel away 3-6 months worth of food incase you find yourself debating between rent and food, or a storm hits and you find you cannot leave your home for a few days to a few weeks. You know how to cook from your preps, you know how to knit, sew, wash clothing by hand, make soap and a few other basic skills to get you through a hard time.

Then you move into "I want a homestead". You start looking at property. Save up and buy. Not just a house on 1/3 lot with no yard. But a bit of land that you can homestead on. You learn basic animal husbandry, gardening, and storage techniques for the grow your own. You learn fiber crafts, such as making rope, making broadcloth, felling wood and finishing it.

Then you move into homesteader. You got your land, a home built on it, a barn, the garden is growing the animals are growing, and the birds are layin.

THEN you get to be a survivalist. You have a non computerized bio-disel vehicle that is reliable with a bunch of spare parts and you know how to fix it. Your barn has a lead roof and so does your house. You stockpile enough landscapers cloth, peatmoss, compost and perlite that if the S REALLY HTF you don't worry about scraping the topsoil off, you lay down the cloth, and dump a new 18 inches of soil problem solved.

I won't even get into weapons.