Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Light Hearted Dog Thread - by Dogs for Dogs Purdy Bear General Discussion 65 09-23-2016 12:20 AM
popping prairie dogs Fepony Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 13 07-21-2015 02:36 PM
Prairie Dogs? DeadHorrorFan Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 10 07-04-2015 06:16 PM
Prairie Dog Hunt PalmettoTree Rifle Forum 36 06-29-2015 08:34 PM
Guard Dogs v. Watch Dogs for home and property protection sabotage39k General Discussion 25 06-27-2015 02:17 PM
Little Log Cabin on the prairie.. kind of.. RandiTS General Discussion 12 03-05-2014 08:55 AM
shoot the prairie dog game........ Robb Jokes, Humor & Music 0 02-15-2012 11:01 AM
Hello from the tall grass prairie HellHorse New Member Introduction 20 06-25-2011 07:50 PM
Is it safe to eat a Prairie Dog? Skyjump136 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 16 07-07-2010 06:29 PM
Hi from the prairie Ulf New Member Introduction 10 03-09-2010 09:24 PM

Old 06-25-2015, 01:56 PM
Smile..wait for the flash

Thanked 2,715 Times in 807 Posts
Default Prairie Dogs

Advertise Here

Looking to go prairie dog shooting in South Dakota with a buddy. When I do a google search all I get are these big resorts charging big bucks. Not what I'm interested in. Would just like to pitch a tent in a field and shoot away when they stick their heads up.

Anybody know of or have land that's not some massive operation/resort and want to get rid of some little pests?
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2015, 02:12 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 30,188 Times in 9,940 Posts

Ranchers will let you come out for free if they have them. The cattle/horses step in the holes and break their legs... they hate them with a passion. Any local ranches in the immediate area?
Old 06-25-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
Ranchers will let you come out for free if they have them. The cattle/horses step in the holes and break their legs... they hate them with a passion. Any local ranches in the immediate area?
No ranches near me, SD isn't too far of a drive for us and I hear they have plenty of them. Hoping one of the SD peeps here knows of a place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2015, 02:16 PM
Deplorable and 3%

Thanked 25,518 Times in 5,382 Posts

How do they taste?
Old 06-25-2015, 02:25 PM

Don't know, haven't shot one yet.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:56 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 30,188 Times in 9,940 Posts

It is tasty and is a fairly lean meat. Most use it in stews to help loosen the meat since it ca be tough. If they don't use it in stews, they make sausage out of it. They say it's lean like pork but has a taste similar to squirrel (but tougher).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2015, 03:16 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,966 Times in 769 Posts

No help, but this is on my bucket list.

That and wild hog shooting.
The Following User Says Thank You to NickTheGreat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2015, 05:06 PM
Anvils and Welders

Thanked 23,952 Times in 4,443 Posts

You will most likely have to look for someplace that is westriver. (On the west side of the Missouri River)

It shouldn't be too hard to find a plce to go, but it may take a little bit of homework on your part. One part of your plan may prove difficult though and that is the part about pitching a tent and camping out. Speaking as a rancher myself, I can say that eventhough you are there doing me a favor, I would not want someone camping out. There are too many variables that make me not want anyone camping out.

We don't have any prairie dogs, but we do guide hunters for antelope every year and there are always people who want to camp and I have to explain my reasons for not wanting overnight guests in our pastures. This ground out here is pretty delicate and does not heal very quickly. Just setting up a tent and spending a few days will leave a mark on the ground for quite a while. There is not much water out here and most people do not enjoy staying in a dry camp. Another issue is fire. Even the smallest spark can light this ground on fire and a slight breeze can cause hundreds or thousands of acres to be wiped out.

These may not sound like good reasons to those who don't live here, but please believe me when I say, these are all very good reasons to try and keep people from camping out in the pastures. And these are just a few of the reasons. We appreciate people who want to come out and help eradicate these vermin, but we are still trying to run a ranching operation and we have to keep that in mind when we agree to let people come out for recreational purposes. We like allowing folks the opportunities we sometimes take for granted, but we do have other methods to keep prarie dog numbers in check.

Usually, a little homework on your part and a polite greeting will get a stranger all the access they need to get in a few days shooting. Try not to expect too much other than the rancher showing you where you can set up. Please be respectful of his land and his rules. By doing this, you are helping to insure the next guy who asks will have a place to shoot and you are also making sure you will be welcome the next time you come out. Offering to give the rancher a hand with whatever he is doing will go a long way in building your standing in the rancher's eyes too. He probably won't take you up on the offer, but he will appreciate the gesture.

I am not necessarily aiming these suggestions at the OP, but rather just throwing them out to anyone who may want to take a trip out west for some fun trigger time.

Good luck.

Tex
The Following User Says Thank You to Tex For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2015, 05:16 PM

That's some great info Tex! Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to SLED For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2015, 04:56 PM
The Mighty Pen

Thanked 11,552 Times in 807 Posts

Here, east of the river, we don't have this pest so I can't help.

Coons, now, those we have aplenty.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:49 PM

Oh how I wish we did have them east river. It's such a good time hunting them! My great uncle used to have a ranch west river we used to spend the whole day shooting. But he has since passed away.