SAMPLE sizes of FD Meats? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ammo weights, just a sample. Jida Firearms General Discussion 25 06-19-2016 11:55 PM
book cover, new sample littlegoatlady Books, Movies & Stories 50 03-13-2014 04:49 AM
Sample of a new story, need your thoughts Elicitone Books, Movies & Stories 7 01-23-2014 12:41 AM
Minox Salesman's Sample Sale gr8fuldoug Camera Land 0 03-30-2011 09:32 AM
The Bug Out - sample day ex-hunter Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 36 03-21-2011 01:04 PM
The end of the world as we know it a sample of what may cause it. Pawiscoming Jokes, Humor & Music 1 06-08-2010 09:11 AM
Free sample foods kehoffmann1 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 02-25-2010 02:38 PM
9mm ammo sizes bluetrain Pistol and Revolver Forum 6 12-30-2008 10:27 PM
Can sizes DownInABunker Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 05-07-2008 11:10 PM

Old 05-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Prepared

Default SAMPLE sizes of FD Meats?

Advertise Here

Does any place sell sample sizes of their FD meat products? I'm talking about 2 to 4 serving sizes of just the meat. I'd be happy to buy a variety pack. Not complete meals, just the meat. I can't eat most "boxed" meals because of what's in the "spice" packets, so I'd like to make my own. I just don't want to buy a whole can of FD beef only to find that my husband thinks its terrible. He's a true Texan and very picky about meat, especially beef.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to TXbookworm For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 41,349 Times in 8,129 Posts

Mountain house makes a pouch with either single or 2 serving sizes.

This should be able to give you an idea of what the freeze dried meat taste like.
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Prepared

Thanks. I'll have to do another search. I couldn't find any that just had the meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,115 Times in 1,319 Posts

I've recently served by Hubby two types of canned meat I have in storage, and he didn't like either of then. I've got to find something meaty he'll tolerate, since he can't live without meat. Or so he says.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 154,096 Times in 44,807 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSassy View Post
I've recently served by Hubby two types of canned meat I have in storage, and he didn't like either of then. I've got to find something meaty he'll tolerate, since he can't live without meat. Or so he says.
Try different ways of preparing it. If there's something in particular about the canned meat he doesn't like, texture, smell, etc., maybe look for a recipe that downplays that part and offers something else instead. For example, a fragrant curry covers up smelly meats. Or something with contrasting textures to distract from the meat texture.

A lot of times when someone thinks they don't like something, it's because of the preparation. I grew up thinking I hated eggplant. As it turns out, eggplant is my favorite veggie. I just hate fried eggplant, which is the only way my mom ever made it.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,574 Times in 987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSassy View Post
If hubby gets hungry enough he will love it!.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Forgiven

Thanked 3,161 Times in 1,412 Posts

We ordered a can of Mountain House cooked ground beef from http://vtarmynavy.com and tried cooking it up as many ways as we could think of. We thought all were much better than canned meats and I don't think any of our tests failed.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,648 Times in 2,190 Posts

Mt House sells a best seller package, but you could get most of items at Walmart.
Uppity people will be first to fail.
I was on an all meat diet one time, got tired of steaks real fast.

Mt House kit:
http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant.m...ory_Code=MHEFK
Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 PM

We tried Mountain House Chili Mac. It was great. I wouldn't mind having it any time.
The Following User Says Thank You to calharkins For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Prepared

The issue isn't just what DH will eat, it's what I can tolerate. Let's just say that if there's any kind of conflict with my system, I might as well not eat it because it won't be with me long enough to do any good. I really will have to sample the product before I invest a lot of money in it. Plus, if the texture is so bad that we can't gag it down, what good is storing it? Not being "uppity" just practial. And, we're not planning a "meat only" diet, I want to use the FD products to put up meals in jars. I can do the kind that uses canned meats as additions, but I'd like to get everything in one jar. I'll be canning my own too, but that takes up a lot of room.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:27 PM

I've used these folks before - mainly because they offer smaller packages for sampling. Shipping is prompt and the prices are fairly reasonable. {{EDIT: But shipping to my area is expensive...maybe that's how the actual product pricing is kept low. <shrug>}}

http://www.waltonfeed.com/category/72

I checked Shelf Reliance and they have FD ground beef and ham...but the smallest container is a #10 can. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I don't order much FD since I'm still working on our short-term pantry items.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 154,096 Times in 44,807 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhbrown2 View Post
I've used these folks before - mainly because they offer smaller packages for sampling. Shipping is prompt and the prices are fairly reasonable. {{EDIT: But shipping to my area is expensive...maybe that's how the actual product pricing is kept low. <shrug>}}

http://www.waltonfeed.com/category/72

I checked Shelf Reliance and they have FD ground beef and ham...but the smallest container is a #10 can. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I don't order much FD since I'm still working on our short-term pantry items.
The best shipping prices from Walton is by hundredweight. That is, a minimum of 200 lbs, in 100 lb increments. They're generally pretty accurate on their shipping estimates though, so I think the high shipping to your location is probably because of distance.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Prepared

Thanks, vhbrown and MikeK. I checked waltonfeed.com. They do have the smaller cans of just meat products, but their regular canned meats, not FD. Guess I'll have to keep looking. This might be an option if I go route of adding canned meats to dry mixes stored in jars. I don't know that I can put up enough canned meats myself to make much of a dent in what we need.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Target Shooter

Thrive by Shelf Reliance has small pouches of almost everything they sell.

One thing that seperates Thrive from most others is their ingrediant list:
Ground Beef is Ground Beef,,,,thats is. No salt, no MSG,, nothing.

I stock beans-n-rice, and Mountain House, And Thrive.

Last edited by unknownsurvivor; 05-30-2012 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: spelling,,,as always!!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:58 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,736 Times in 2,082 Posts

If you can go to a sportsmans show, larger gun show, mountainman/pioneer expo, etc. you might be able to try samples from distributors.

And I would think some companies might sell 'samplers' online.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:11 AM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,648 Times in 2,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXbookworm View Post
The issue isn't just what DH will eat, it's what I can tolerate. Let's just say that if there's any kind of conflict with my system,
Now the truth comes out.
Heck that's just normal life.
I can't enjoy potluck dinners, I might eat something that zips through me.
That's why you try one or two cans of food before you stock up.
But you're always gonna have stuff you can't eat but hubby chows down on it and vice versa, that's life.
I can't eat Bumblebee chicken salad, but I can eat their tuna salad canned meat.
There's a $ store brand name that smells like dog food when you eat or gag it down.
Don't they say "stock what you eat, eat what you stock"?
I know my Spam is safe from Mike.
I'm pretty sure some folk will eat cat food if they have to.