Walmart survival / prep supplies - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
$20 Walmart Survival weekend perdurabo7 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 86 05-06-2018 03:06 PM
Anyone else notice walmart stocking bulk food supplies in large amounts? Somebodyelse General Discussion 22 03-25-2014 05:10 PM
Walmart survival warbirds General Discussion 11 05-29-2013 10:38 AM
vehicle prep supplies hammerhead123 Vehicles & Transportation 12 11-27-2012 09:57 AM
lOCAL WALMART CLEARING PREP FOODS. ELBUFO Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 08-16-2012 08:54 AM
Work Prep: emergency supplies at your office Scoutmaster316 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 06-10-2012 10:52 PM
Any Recipes For Bread, Pancakes, and Biscuits Using Prep Supplies? SSF Recipes 3 06-03-2012 06:35 AM
School supplies as a prep item Ryn Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 08-20-2011 12:24 PM
Walmart Survival food.... northidahofisher Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 43 05-03-2011 12:15 PM
Y2K prep supplies? rgswaim Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 11-12-2010 04:44 PM

Old 02-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,992 Times in 1,236 Posts
Default Walmart survival / prep supplies

Advertise Here

It seems to me that Wal-mart is missing a piece of the pie by not devoting an aisle or two to survival and prepping supplies. They could have cans of dehydrated food, other long shelf life foods, buckets, mylar, Oxygen absorbers, any and all items for your bug out bag or place, etc. There is a ton of items they could carry, just don't know if there is a big enough market yet. It seems with this Doomsday Prepper TV show that other people might stock up some. What y'all think?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kessler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 09:57 PM
camps in trees

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,189 Posts

They have tons of supplies. Just because its not marketed for us or have some fancy packaging doesn't mean you can't use it. Most likely anything they come up with would be cheap, not worth a crap, and overpriced.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to neo71665 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 1,208 Times in 827 Posts

I would say MOST of us have prepped up at WallyWorld. Box of FMJ 32 tonight, same price as 100 9mm FMJ. Definitely 22LR. Box whenever I go in, hardly never. Oil. Lampoil. DAK canned hams. Spam. Rice 'n beans. Veggie seeds. Fertilizer. Tools. Booze...

Just because they dont have #10 cans of Mountain House or buckets of 02 absorber red wheat does not mean they do not cater to our world needs... I wish they did. BUT it would likely be garbage...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sachson For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 154,093 Times in 44,805 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

In some areas they test marketed survival foods. I don't know the results, but they haven't expanded into the mainstream market so it doesn't look hopeful.

Survival stuff is just too small of a niche market. Few large mainstream stores are going to devote aisle space to it when they can use that space for faster turning, higher demand products like all the techno crap that everyone is so addicted to these days.

And they're also smart enough to know that the demand caused by TV shows is nothing but a short term fad. If it ever becomes mainstream enough to support higher demand, Walmart will be on top of it. They track all sorts of trends closely.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 10:41 PM

Actually they do have a section in some stores. Haven't seen it at my local store but this guy did.

http://youtu.be/ytf7BGLd36Y

Sorry don't know how to embed.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OutdoorsNative For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 10:43 PM

I was actually down at Wally World a couple hours ago looking at backpacks. Poor selection but a couple I found interesting. What I gathered was no 550 cord unless they keep that seperate from camping gear. No collapsable water jugs. Actually not much of anything to be honest. Could be the season but was kind of discouraged. They did have some packaged food which I bought a few packs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bowmaster For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 10:51 PM
filterless

I've had better luck at dollar stores, but Walmart does have some of the cheapest ammo I've found.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cityprepper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowmaster View Post
I was actually down at Wally World a couple hours ago looking at backpacks. Poor selection but a couple I found interesting. What I gathered was no 550 cord unless they keep that seperate from camping gear. No collapsable water jugs. Actually not much of anything to be honest. Could be the season but was kind of discouraged. They did have some packaged food which I bought a few packs.
Ive gotten some collapsible water jugs at Wally before, iirc they were some place weird, like with the water coolers or the pool toy section or something, I just happened upon them when taking a detour around some slow people lol. I mainly just buy the random ammo there though, I don't go all that often.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pik4chu For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Angry ol' coot

Thanked 14,222 Times in 3,463 Posts

I went to my local ChinaMart today to buy .40 S&W and .22 LR ammo. They were out of both (someone was prepping) I planned on spending $50-60, so I bought a trot-line kit (line, 25 swivels, hooks etc for about $16) 4 cans of WD-40 (about $24) and bought 200 tealights (a pack of 50 for about $2.50 each) I can get food with the trot line, keep my equipment and guns lubricated and cook canned food and have light with the tealights.

Not a bad day, IMO.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NoOzone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 11:14 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,736 Times in 2,082 Posts

I saw huge cans of dehydrated foods at Walmart... in big, gallon size (or bigger) cans. For example, dehydrated red and green peppers. Eggs...I wish I could remember more.

I wondered if it was worth purchasing, altho those containers wouldnt stand the test of time.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:28 PM
filterless

I've noticed at my local WalMart, most of the bulk food is packaged for a day care type buyer (more short term use)- not much for LTS. Not saying it couldn't be re-packaged in mylar though.
The Following User Says Thank You to cityprepper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 11:32 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,359 Times in 834 Posts

Wal-Mart is very very very smart. Shelf space is called SKU (stands for Shelf Kept Unit). SKU is valuable rea estate in stores... And Wal-Mart leads the industry in getting the best value for every square inch of their stores.

If you don't see #10 cans... You can bet your life that it is because Wal-Mart has determined that green beans, pup tents, toothpaste or whatever will sell some small percentage better than long term storage food. OR... And this is a big OR... Somebody agreed to spend a LOT of money... Either in print, tv or radio... In co-op...or some form of advertising to off set the difference in SKU space value.

My hope is that Wal-Mart will hit a tipping point and #10 cans and other prepper fundamental supplies will be evaluated as high SKU value. If that happens.... We will see incredibly good prices AND not have to worry about shipping charges... And shipping blowing opSec.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Team For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 11:34 PM

I live in southern WA, across the river from Portland, OR. Our nearest Walmart appears to have a decent section of #10 cans dried veggies and other bulk preps. I haven't shopped for food at Walmart for about three months and that isle didn't exist 90 days ago. It was probably 3-4 shelves deep stacked from top to bottom. I was in a rush so didn't take note of quality, selection or prices.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:41 PM
Idiot Savant x Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Team View Post
Wal-Mart is very very very smart. Shelf space is called SKU (stands for Shelf Kept Unit). SKU is valuable rea estate in stores... And Wal-Mart leads the industry in getting the best value for every square inch of their stores.
Surprisingly Walmart doesen't even make the top 20 cut. Samsclub the wholesale division of Walmart is number 15.
http://asset3.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d...f2_610x651.png
Old 02-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,172 Posts

Give me 150 bucks in Walmart and I can build you a respectable bug out bag. It may not all be in one aisle, but it's there.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hayes31 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 11:51 PM
Angry ol' coot

Thanked 14,222 Times in 3,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
I saw huge cans of dehydrated foods at Walmart... in big, gallon size (or bigger) cans. For example, dehydrated red and green peppers. Eggs...I wish I could remember more.

I wondered if it was worth purchasing, altho those containers wouldnt stand the test of time.
Wish they had that available in our ChinaMarts.

I saw that one of the posters liked the DAK canned hams...have you ever tried to eat them? I was under the impression that it was close to real ham, but when I tried it,was disappointed...yet it keeps well. To me, it's along the lines of Spam. The kids ate it...so I guess it is a keeper. Aldi's has a canned "ham " which is similar and cheaper...FWIW.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoOzone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,068 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlindabob View Post
It seems to me that Wal-mart is missing a piece of the pie by not devoting an aisle or two to survival and prepping supplies. They could have cans of dehydrated food, other long shelf life foods, buckets, mylar, Oxygen absorbers, any and all items for your bug out bag or place, etc. There is a ton of items they could carry, just don't know if there is a big enough market yet. It seems with this Doomsday Prepper TV show that other people might stock up some. What y'all think?
You can get all of that on amazon.com with free shipping...why pay retail prices at wal-mart?
The Following User Says Thank You to freeak For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2012, 07:04 AM

Having some food might be good but I wouldn't want them to have a "survival" section or line of stuff. Seems when you start making things for a specific purpose the price goes up. I would rather buy a backpack and knife than I would buy a Bug Out Bag and Survival Knife.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigJerm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2012, 07:12 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,352 Times in 576 Posts

I do pick up a 7 gallon aquatainer now and then, some .22LR, they do have Mountain House in the two serving size for under six bucks, 1 pound propane tanks, etc. You have to sort of wander around but they do have stuff; fortunately they don't realize it yet...heh heh
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobbers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2012, 07:37 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 41,347 Times in 8,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlindabob View Post
It seems to me that Wal-mart is missing a piece of the pie by not devoting an aisle or two to survival and prepping supplies.
A floor manager of a local sams club and I had a discussion on this same exact topic a few months ago.

I live in a hurricane prone area, and the sams club does not sell any kind of emergency supplies - such as freeze dried food.

Sure sams club sells bulk items, but what about long term food preps? I saw only a couple of cheap flashlights at the beaumont Texas Sams Club.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post: