Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interesting Article - From Ammo Shortages to Food Shortages Catnphx Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 11-21-2013 10:08 AM
SHTF and supermarkets are jammed Admiral Nelson Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 72 02-18-2012 10:14 AM
Medication shortages everywhere. bearfoot_25 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 02-09-2012 08:18 PM
Shortages Joe Patriot Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 05-22-2011 04:25 PM
Why would anyone store up food when the supermarkets have plenty? BuellerBueller General Discussion 30 02-09-2011 10:08 AM
Ammo shortages? reagansquad Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 29 04-06-2009 11:19 PM
Drug Shortages Sweeper Health, Fitness and First Aid 0 03-25-2009 11:40 AM
Ammo Shortages forrestdweller Firearms General Discussion 0 01-27-2009 02:46 PM
Foil packed meat from supermarkets scoutmaster60 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 12-11-2008 06:19 PM
Iceland. Bank run, panic buying in supermarkets. Watcher Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 40 10-06-2008 06:23 PM

Old 03-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Hiker

Advertise Here

Haven't noticed any shortages yet, except on some of the lower priced items, some condensed milk that was on sale. Store people were out there stocking the shelves while I was in there. I have noticed the prices are slowly creeping up, an item I bought about a month ago for 50 cents was 89 cents another that was 99 cents a couple of weeks back was 1.19. Guess the fuel costs are making stuff go up, sometimes I feel like the frog in the pot getting slowly boiled.....
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to jleverin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Hiker

Maybe,
I went to a big chain grocery store on Tuesday. I was getting some sale items w/ coupons and while I was there I figured I'd stock up on some varieties of beans that we don't grow - red kidney, cannelloni, tutle beans & black eyed peas.........I was shocked when the shelves were pretty much empty. They had a few cans of dark red kidney and black eyed peas. No cannelloni and no turtle beans and no light red kidney. They weren't running any special sales so I have no idea why the shelves were empty. Everything else was pretty well stocked. I'm heading over after work to get a few more coupon deals so I'm going to check out the canned foods isle - - & hope it was just a fluke.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,727 Times in 2,223 Posts

Was at the store earlier this morning. Bi-Lo shelves looked well stocked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Hiker

Well now, I'm happy to report that, on yesterday's trip to the grocery store, the canned bean shelves were fully stocked - so the empty shelves on my last visit must have been a fluke.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Asian Newbie

If no disaster hit your area, I guess your local supermarkets will remain properly and sufficiently stock-up, largely dependent on Management's reorder, warehouse management etc.

Prices will keep raising due to inflation, I think all should be more worried whether your dollar can still purchase stuff that you need, and also whether you have enough dollars earned from your job/business to make those purchases.

Cheers!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dtcepl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2011, 11:50 PM
Still here...

Thanked 1,476 Times in 651 Posts

I haven't noticed any shortages. Replenishment is slow on some items. Twenty-five pound bags of sugar takes weeks to be restocked but there are more than enough 10 pound and smaller bags. Instead, I've noticed stores here seem to be doing away with some of the variety and stocking more of their best sellers. The name-brand sections seem to be smaller and cheaper, off-brands seem to have more room. It's what people are buying. Most grocery stores have a very, very narrow profit margin, and most businesses try for just in time delivery. What you're seeing is just management trying to keep the business going... and misgauging that delivery window.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcepl View Post
If no disaster hit your area, I guess your local supermarkets will remain properly and sufficiently stock-up, largely dependent on Management's reorder, warehouse management etc.

Prices will keep raising due to inflation, I think all should be more worried whether your dollar can still purchase stuff that you need, and also whether you have enough dollars earned from your job/business to make those purchases.

Cheers!
thats very true its best to get a years worth of toilet paper at 10 bucks for 36 rolls than 20 bucks for 36 rolls later this year maybee...........same with food and fuel
Old 03-07-2011, 02:31 AM
Barefoot Hillbilly

Before saying this is a shortage, check a few times a day for a few days for products that you are looking for. There may be things keeping the shelves from being properly stocked 24/7. Those items may be traveling a long distance to get there, high demand for that product, and they just may not have been stocked on the shelf.
The last time I saw anything on a shelf at any local grocery store where I live (NW Arkansas) was when we had the big snow storms a few weeks back. I wouldn't be too concerned about this.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:24 AM
Don't tread on me.

Location: I work hard not to be found, and now Im just listing it to everyone?
Thanked 1,486 Times in 557 Posts

Why would there be a shortage?
This is simply timing. Just in time inventory means there is no backstock.
You probably got to the store right before a new shipment arrived.
This is a concern when you think about how little actual supply there is out there.
And on a case by case basis, grocerys operate on tight margins, and go out of business here and there.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:48 AM
Hunter

This is the way it starts here and there, they will be no whole sale shortages until gas hits $5.00 a gal and truck fuel go's higher. Then what does make it to the shelves will triple or better, rather quickly. The shelves here are not as full now as just a year ago, now that's a fact.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrGreenJeans For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2011, 06:20 AM

We have several Publix stores in my area. I wasn't seeing any shortages. They were almost out of the BOGO sales things at one, but the 2nd one I went to had a lot of stuff. I even managed to get 12 bottles of Juicy Juice at Winn-Dixie on a BOGO sale that made it $1 bottle less than at Walmart! It depends on how well the store stocks according to the local population. I was surprised to find anything at all considering the sale is over in a few days.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:32 AM
Asian Newbie

In a non-disaster situation, I guess what you seen in a supermarket is a matter of logistic and management issue with regards to food shortage.

I would say that all should seriously consider the shortage of cash in their wallets/bank accounts......with the rate of inflation and devaluation of the currency is going, you will see quite immediate that the dollar can't buy you much and, lesser and lesser cash you have to spend.

Unemployment rate is high, currency devalued, inflation is high - serious issues ahead - lots of food, enough for everybody, but just too expensive for many to afford.

Just my personal view, cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to dtcepl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Food Storage Solutions

There arn't food shortages here, just the price of food going up because the dollar is devaluing.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:43 AM
Stop being on my side!

Thanked 25,825 Times in 7,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFenix View Post
The only product I am seeing a shortage of is Spam. It is sold out in most stores in my area.
FEMA's buying it all up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old dude For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2011, 08:38 AM
What would Mal do

Thanked 7,754 Times in 2,606 Posts

followup - bilo looking very full...in fact Delmonte BOGO $1.20 sale back on again this week..not that .60 cents a can is great, but at least they are still doing the sales..some weeks, there are no sales in that section and people are paying $1.20 for 1 can!

milk n bread shelves are full..didn't really see any shortages anywhere...all seems as normal as it's been for the past couple years now.

that said, I don't make a grocery run these days without bringing home at least 30 cans of BOGO deals when they have em..10 cans peas, 10 green beans, 10 corn.
It doesn't add a lot to the grocery bill, but sure adds to the pantry at home.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,332 Times in 1,621 Posts

I don't think what we are seeing is a "shortage" in any way. I believe it's an inventory cost savings measure. a plus with lowing your inventory cost is that some people WILL think it's a shortage and people will come buy whatever they can get, creating a mini run on the store.
The Following User Says Thank You to Herbalpagan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,277 Times in 1,285 Posts

There must be a shortage when the Store Manager tells you, they can't get enough of the supplies and what they get must be divided among all stores.
That is a shortage, Now it might be due to FEMA Buying Massive Amounts of Food.

I have being checking back to the same two publix I started with this post and it is still the same and what brands are missing are being replaced with off brand stuff, now this is in a High Class neighborhood where off Brand stuff doesn't sell very well.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Prepared

No shortages here in SC, if there is any shortages it's because of the bad weather we had in the last several weeks, causing shipments to be delayed.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,543 Times in 4,851 Posts

I went to King Soopers (Kroger company) last night to get some salad mixers. I was shocked. There was nearly nothing and the stuff that was there was horrid. I asked the clerk what was going on and he mentioned the freeze that hit Mexico and the flooding in the South. I do think the harsh winter had allot to do with produce.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bearack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,788 Posts

nothing here stores seem stocked as usual